Ask me things about my setting. I need to make sure my game world is consistent

Ask me things about my setting. I need to make sure my game world is consistent.

how big's the tele

What kind of sea monsters do fishermen have to watch out for?

There is none, its standard not-Europe medieval fantasy. However, there are a bunch of other forms of entertainment, music, theater, and storytelling are the most common, with the occasional circus, fighting competition and even the occasional magic performance.

The 'big bad' monsters very rarely come close enough to land to be an issue, though there is at least one recorded instance of a large Kraken-like monster attacking a small fishing village that's independent from the rest of the Empire. Otherwise, fishermen and sailors that venture further into the ocean are more likely to be attacked by pirates than monsters, though the occasional tall tale of a crew of sailors driving off a school of mermen, a giant octopus or a sea serpent.

How often do pirates need to deal with sea monsters then, if they spend more time in the open sea? Where did such giant monsters come from anyway?

what styles of clothing are generally worn by
>labourers
>people in non-manual jobs
>religious folk
>nobles
>soldiers

Who is the best poet in the setting?

How many giants still roam the earth?

When was the last big civil war?

Why are people on the moon/Why not?

where do people poop?

What is life like for an lower, middle and upper class child growing up in a moderately prosperous city?

They don't, every race is avian in nature and thus only produces liquid waste.

About one in 100 may see a giant monster, out of those maybe one in twenty may have to confront one. They are all children of the great sea-god mad with rage.

>labourers
Leather body suits

>people in non-manual jobs
linen and silk

>religious folk
Always nude

>nobles
Silk and heavy gold bracelets

>soldiers
Leather body suits with red cloaks

Deeper sea-explorers tend to encounter hostile life somewhat rarely, but nobody wants to be unprepared if needing to face a threat. High-value shipping loads or trips through otherwise known dangerous areas tend to either bring mercenaries with ranged weapons, nets for capturing/immobilizing larger creatures, and the occasional battlemage to handle groups of smaller creatures or otherwise deal with tougher fare. The sea monsters were created just the same as any other life on the planet, by the True Neutral deity of life. While most seafarers are resentful of such dangerous creatures, there are people that feel it isn't their place to determine what deserves to live, and the sea creatures are only acting in their nature.

Labourers tend to wear your standard medieval peasantry clothing, occasionally made of hemp fibers in eastern portions of the Empire. Heavy boots, cloaks, wide-brim hats for keeping the sun and rain out, etc. White-collar workers typically get to wear nice pants or skirts, and more wealthy ones get their hands on spidersilk from the Dwarven holds or rarer Elven fabrics. People that have earned their keep tends to dress more conservatively but still nicely, clothes with crisp cuts and neat lines, utilitarian but maybe with a bit of polish. Dandier types and those whop came into wealth and power through inheritance or politics tend to be more ostentatious, with frills, tall hairstyles, gaudy jewelry, and shoes that are fancy and designed, but ultimately useless for travel and work. Religious folk tend to dress according to their environment, and to suit their activities. Priests that spend their time in monasteries tend to wear robes and frocks, those that travel to spread the Word wear standard travelling gear, and those of the fertility god tend to wear very little at all, or otherwise very comfortable clothing that is easy to remove. Furs are common amongst the nobility, as well as silks.

>Laborers
>Leather body suits
Nigga, they ded

Marter Rayte is the premier poet and orator of the Bard's College. He spends most of his time traveling and giving performances, though he occasionally makes his way back to the College to teach a few classes.

Giants are rare, though in the area detailed by the current campaign, there are a few. They tend to be left alone, though in the frontier villages, one occasionally steals cattle, and a detachment of soldiers or a battlemage or two is sent to deal with them. In stranger lands, there are tales of entire villages of giants living peacefully next to the smaller standard races.

The closest the Empire has been to a civil war was when the last King was killed two decades ago, and it took a while to decide how the Empire would be ruled afterward. After a few months of the King's advisors keeping everything running, it was decided the Imperial Council would be assembled, of the most prestigious figures of magic, commerce and religion. Seeing as there is nobody left that is worth to wear the Crown of Heaven, there is no more direct link to the Gods for counsel.

Nobody is on the moon because even the current world hasn't been explored much yet, there is still a large amount of uncharted wilderness, and frankly, ain't nobody got time for space travel when there's an entire nation of undead next door.

What about Dragons, yo?

In rural areas, they tend to dig pits on the edge of town or otherwise near already-smelly places like tanneries and stables. In the city, sewage simply runs into grates on the street into sewers that take the sewage around the tip of landmass that marks the border of the First City, and dumps it into the ocean downstream.

Lower class children tend to either be conscripted as soldiers, or those with smarts often get inducted into one of the temples and trained as scribes, clerics or servants to white-collar workers. Middle-class children typically live comfortably though not opulently, and most learn the trade of their parents. They are also the ones most likely to be apprenticed to arcane mages, though other strata occasionally get selected as well. This is because mages spend a decent amount of time in the markets looking for components and materials, and this have the most contact with people plying trades. Upper class children almost always go to school to learn languages, arts, maths and history, and tend to either live in their family's footsteps and live off existing political or financial power, or otherwise get apprenticed to prestigious merchants, wealthy tradesmen or if particularly bright, ushered off to the only known official school of magic, sponsored by the Empire.

How does the sun stay in the sky?

How easy is it to learn magic of various kinds? What are the major religions? Do priests get magic easily?

>I need to make sure my game world is consistent.
1-Download dwarf fortress
2-Generate an huge world
3-Save it and export it

Where in the world it the dankest smokable of choice, and what is it?

There are dragons, though few of them. Sightings are most often in the mountains, and the occasional cow or sheep will be stolen by one exploring into a frontier village. Ever since the last good King died twenty years ago, however, more of them have been sighted, along with all of the other monsters that make their home in the lands of the Empire.

Normal real-world physics, gravity, nuclear force, etc, although it's believed the cycle of the planets is controlled by the major NG deity of light.

Most arcane magic is difficult to learn, with at least a decent intellect or dedication required to master it, as it takes time. Wizards are taught most often in apprenticeships to other wizards, with approval from the singular School of Magic. Wizards taught in such arrangements are given a magic tattoo from the School of Magic that distinguishes them as a spellcaster, which acts as a badge of legitimacy. There are hedge mages or even more rarely self-taught ones, but their ability is put into question without official approval, and few would be willing to pay the lower price they ask for in exchange for the risks involved with someone not approved as competent. The mentioned school of magic is a thing, but is very difficult to get into; only the rich or particularly skilled manage to get in, and the program is very rigorous. However, when someone graduates, they are both certified as an Imperial Battlemage, and given an enchanted ring as their badge of office, allowing them to use battle magic in defense of the Empire. Anyone practicing battle magic within the confines of the city without certification or within specific allowed circumstances is punished according to severity, including heavy fines, imprisonment, revocation of their certification, or in extreme cases, even execution.

Priests can easily learn divine magic if their morals fit with the church, and divine magic isn't regulated like arcane magic is.

Sounds to me like there's a lot of extra restrictions and rules about arcane magic compared to divine magic. Is firing divine lasers in a city not seen as bad compared to shooting arcane ones?

Divine lasers will definitely be punished (hence any battle magic), but divine casters are simply trusted more because their abilities come from the Gods themselves, most of which are benevolent.

The dankest smokables in the Empire include the hallucinogenic oils of poison frogs from the primary Elven forest setting, and the Dwarves produce extremely strong mushrooms. Otherwise, tobacco is very popular, alcohol is a staple, and marijuana/its ilk is somewhat rare, but tolerable.

What are the big dick gods
How often does it rain

Well, Wheyton *is* the CG deity of fertility and reproduction. As far as the most powerful/feared, Solaris is the NG 'king' of the Gods and the most commonly worshipped, his close second is the LG god of creation and the earth Forge, Gaphelprox is the CE deity of destruction and slaughter and direct adversary of Solaris, Tenebris is the NE not-lovecraftian deity of All That Is Not, the Void. Tenebris is the oldest of the Gods, though he tends to keep to himself and finds the squabbles of the other deities as insignificant. the LE deity is Amhraxus, the Devil of Undeath, whose prophet Mundri is the High Lich of the Deadlands, in conflict with the Empire.

Its a temperate environment for the most part, so maybe as much rain as Oregon or Idaho? Up until now, the weather has been pretty normal, though with new developments, the Gods' conflicts will be changing that.

What's actually going on right now that a player character could get involved with? Any civil wars? Political intrigues? Mass migrations? Gold rushes? Kidnappings? Thefts? Approaching end-times?

What are less conventional beliefs about the universe.

There's always stuff to do in the First City. There's the ever-present conflict with the Deadlands along the eastern border, they can always use more help pushing back the undead menace. There's an existing political movement to improve the rights of intelligent undead. While necromancy is legal and used to make unintelligent undead slaves, there are occasionally people that choose to become undead for the longevity and physical differences. It is a legal and tolerated phenomenon, treated much the way gay marriage is in the U.S. today, though intelligent undead are still treated as second-class citizens for the most part. Most of the unintelligent undead are conscripted as fodder against the Deadlands to the east, though some are also used for manual labor, and in some instances, household servants.

Well, a third of the religions believe in reincarnation, a third float on to their respective deities' alignment planes, and the evil gods' followers either end up in eternal blackness, their fate is unknown, or their souls are otherwise consumed by the deity of their worshippers in order to gain their power.

I concur with this man, is ded. Now like a leather apron for say a smith, or some specific protective gear depending on the job sure, but a full leather body suit doing heavy labor? Shit man thats a terrible idea.

Why all your religious folk nudists?

>>labourers
>Leather body suits
Ask me how I know the heaviest thing you've ever lifted is your own ass out of a chair.

Are there interspecies Brothels? If yes, how popular are they. Are they viewed as the rich man's fetish and charged exhorbant prices to be used, or are they veiwed as freakish substitutes for those who can't afford to buy real human pussy? (Hey you're the one who said you wanted to check all your bases)

While we are on the subject, how do halfbreeds work? Do they?

What are the initial origins of the common humanoid races?

How are aliens involved?

Why does your Empire have the title "King" and not Emperor? If said leader is in direct communion with the Gods, then why not give him a title above a mere regional thing, and instead one that means "Ruler" (as if he owned everything)?

Does the setting have an obyrith/qlippoth equivalent?

Maybe his setting is Hoth.

>always naked

Piggy backing off of both of these, are loving interspecies relationships present, or are they too alien to each other mentally and/or physically?

And if half breeds are a thing, are they lauded as symbol of their parents love and devotion to one another, or despised as the result of two individuals who could not control their based urges?

I uh, I don't think it works that way.

What are good foods? My group likes knowing and they eat at the tavern, and having exotic recipes described to them gives a good immersion into Another Land.

Did anyone figure out evolution? Actually, is evolution a thing?

Who invented bronze first?

Is there a technological advancement? Does it diverges from our world when it comes to mundane things like metallurgy?

Birds do poop though. They don't pee, but they poop

what's the most taboo sexual act?

How cute are the kitsune?

mexican sugar dancing

How many exoframes are there in active use?

What are the main philosophies being debated in the places of learning of your setting?

What does the not-Finn race look and act like?

How do various cultures view divorce, suicide and assisted suicide?

Oh goddamit did the OP abandon this thread without saying something? Figures...

Are there people or spaces between the borders of states?

If so, what are they like?

Within each state, what is the staple grain and protein? How well can they store and transport it? How much of it is leveraged by what sort of elite and to what ends?

What kind of currency do you use? Metal? Commodity? Paper currency (if yes, is it backed by metal, commodity, the currency of a hegemonic power, land, fiat)? Barter? Tracked debt? Coming back to the barbarians (if you have any), to what extent does the currency of states or empires penetrate their lands through trade and tribute?

As a follow up on clothing, are these merely norms or are there sumptuary laws preventing, say, the impersonation of nobles or the solicitation of prostitution in the wrong setting?

If anyone outside the proper elite is educated, how is this normally done? Is it like your standard medieval thing where universities evolve from training towards clergy, but are still used for the education of secular people who can afford to be lettered? Or has education grown up around trade, political administration, or something else? On that note is it centralized in a school setting at all or mostly handled as tutorship to those wealthy enough to afford it?

To what extent is there divergence between laypeople and clergy in matters of faith? Is it a matter of retaining beliefs older than the current faith, poor access to the doctrine in its entirety, recent reforms not all of which are popular, something else?

I guess
we'll just have to answer each others' questions with no regard to the actual setting, and pretend to be OP

Do you or does anyone have a setting detailed enough to answer all this shit? I'm always interested when somebody gives a shit about economies, subsistence, and daily life.

Well i am not in any way op, but i can in fact answer were it to be asked about my setting, but that's because i just crib off existing cultures. I took an anthropology class a while back and i absolutely loved it and all the ideas it gave me for in game cultures that are (to us) absolutely bizarre, but actually work. So now adays i go to the library at the uni and by used Ethnographies and then base societies off of what i find therein. A good ethnography will generally cover all of the details listed above. Of course most of them are written for smaller tribal societies, so it means either a lot of tribes, or i take the ones that could make sense as a larger civilization and extrapolate a bit based on history. Still really fun, and my players love it cause its not just the same old high fantasy every time.

That's good art. There are now moon colonists using exosuits who will descend in the Blessed Armour of the Gods to destroy the intelligent undead, for their doctrine says that is a shitty inversion of a trope that serves no purpose.

What do mathematicians do in your setting
(this is always fucking important)
and if you have none, how the fucck did people learn to count

How do people in your setting establish universal measurement systems? I mean, by what measure do they define important trade-related measurements and quantities, like length, weight, volume, area, etc.?

Any recs? My primary source and ethnography game is weak.

It really depends on what setting your going for. Keeping in mind that different cultures develop under different environmental conditions. If your players ever end up in a more tropical Area the Trobrianders of New Guinea are fascinating. Particularly their economic structure. For more arid environments or grasslands the Masai and Mukogodo aren't bad. It provides an interesting microcosm of the interaction of two different but related cultural groups that can work pretty well as the basis for a area in a campaign. Older ethnographies in many ways aren't as good as newer ones, because back in the day it was always assumed that other populations were inferior to European civilization, and therefore the euorcentrism colored the accounts heavily, but you can still get some good stuff out of them. Also, there are a lot of different cultures from South America that still exist and make for interesting source material. The only problem you may come across is if you play it straight with some of these cultures you may get accused of magical realm, because in many cases their sexual norms are very different from our own and are often at the core of a lot of aspects of their culture.

what are the main religions