Do you allow your players to sleep in full-plate or battledress in case of assassination attempts/vampires at the...

Do you allow your players to sleep in full-plate or battledress in case of assassination attempts/vampires at the expense of only partial rest benefit/soreness debuff?

Once you get high level enough as a warrior you should stop having such penalties, as a side-effect of you just getting so badass, along with the likes of being able to carve through entire mountains, leap through the sky with the greatest of ease and catch arrows in your teeth

I think if you spend enough time in heavy armor, you should just get its use as a trick in high fantasy.
But I like systems where at the point where they're famous enough to earn the attention of a vampire, a warrior would be capable of at least holding their own without their armor as well as a mage.

Haven't had to address it yet, but it would probably be something like

>if a week or longer elapses in which your character sleeps in armor heavier than light armor (i.e. leather, hide, and the like), he will begin to accrue penalties from discomfort.

The idea is that it might be a little uncomfortable during that first week, depending on the armor, but it only gets to the point of penalizing the character after a week. If they have magic or mithril or something that makes their armor encumber them as if it was light armor, then I'd rule it's comfy or light enough to sleep in without ill effect.

This makes sense. I think it depends on the type of game you're playing.

My players don't need to, they are all high-level wizards and mage armor doesn't have sleeping penalties.

>players
>sleeping
They fall into a coma that lasts precisely 8 hours.
They also eat bland tasteless Everlasting Rations and never wash themselves or dress properly.
BUT INSTEAD THEY HAVE THE DARKSLAYER MCLIGHTBRINGER +9000 SWORD AND ADAMANTIUM PLATE!

The players' armor and weapons are magical extensions of their souls, forming around them when needed.

Even games where characters have armor and they need to sleep, I am probably just going to rule that an assassination scenario during the character's vulnerable moment would be a Complication just like any power loss one in Mutants and Masterminds.

But most of the time the characters who can hit hard are usually naturally tough. Sustain stuff like forcefields are a bit tricky, but I'd have to rule no but will probably toss a Hero Point their way because of the scenario being against them as well.

Yeah, I find donning times etc to just be unnecessary for the game.

>not mithril plate
Those rations probably don't bother them because the players have no taste to begin with. Why live if you aren't wearing the most fabulous armor possible?

The fighter's squire drives a supply cart, with a waterproof canvas roof and carpet-covered straw bedding.

No, I kick them out of my house if the come dressed in plate. What kind of autist comes to play dressed like an actual fucking knight, seriously now!

Okay, I laughed

Yeah, seriously.
I mean, it's impossible to roll dice with gauntlets on, so getting them to do anything that includes chance takes forever.

Shit gauntlets. I can roll in mine just fine.

i have slept in armor it is not comfy, but can't say it hurts a lot.

No, exactly because that, I want to ambush them when they can't defend themselves.

>Rations
>Not hero's feast every day

well taking a shit is probably the most defenseless moment.
it has happened to me that someone was approaching me not even making a sound and i was up and ready to fight in a heartbeat. sleeping is not your moment. wait for them to take a shit. first off all it's a solitary activity second you can't do it very well in armor and you have to you know pull down your pants and everything. out there alone. damn scary.

I LARP at least once a month. Have slept in everything from full plate to scales to leather.
As long as its fitted for you properly, its actually very comfortable. Wearing shitty fitting plate is awful though, so if you are in hand me downs definitely negatives.

>not getting the comfort enchantment on your plate armor

In my games, my players wear their armor pretty frequently, which I allow on the understanding that their armor is minimal flash and very tailored. If they wear cloth or a breastplate while resting/traveling, I give let them skip a ration every third day, from less exertion. I aim to reward being attentive to comfort rather than penalizing lack of it, as it is realistic for Soldiers on a march to be somewhat prepared when traveling in hostile territory. Not fully, mind, but atleast somewhat.

fitting the armor is conveniently ignored in most games be larp or rpg.
>go inna store buy full plate march out in it fits perfectly no need to adjust anything
>slay goblin take it's winged helmet fits perfectly to you and the female member of the party also
>slay skeleton it drops a pair of adamantit gauntlets fits perfectly

The party Cleric doesn't like using their spell slots on anything that isn't Cure Wounds, Bane, Harm, or Summon Monster.

It's absolutely awful.

Actually use this in my games. The Dwarven plate they found needed serious resizing to fit anyone, except the actual Dwarf, that actually fit one specific set of the armor perfectly. Specifically that single one, however.

Yeah.
Its fucking depressing to see a new player drop a couple hundred bucks on a new kit and see the machined one-size-fits-none armor.

In game wise, I always make a point to have a blacksmith adjust my armor to fit. Its not a rule or anything in game, but Im hoping I can start having an effect and make more players do it. Helps with immersion.

the point is no plate will fit every dwarf as will no human plate will fit every human. not even fucking chain can be comfortably used by everyone i had to seriously refit mine spent a few days with it. but chain is close to one size fits almost all on wider dudes it will be shorter and thinner dudes longer it's the shoulders that will be hurting a lot if it's not custom fitted to your form and if it's not wide enough it greatly limits your mobility if it's too wide for you it's too much excess weight you carry for no reason as it doesn't offer any more protection. so chain is more tolerant to variances but not even that is truly one size fits all.

user, give them incentive to live in the world. Give them a reason to kick back, enjoy themselves, drop their mechanical paranoia.

No, I always presume my character takes it off except in extreme circumstances.

Two of the characters in a game I'm in do pay attention to their armor, but do so in opposite extremes. One of them takes her armor off at every opportunity and only dons it during adventures or when fighting is expected. The other makes a point of NEVER removing his armor in the presence of others, including wearing his helmet in social situations. Both have had their armor fitted and commonly make specific references to it in character.

It's not the MOST useful thing to do. A lot of games have some sort of accounting for helpless/unconcious victims that negates armor and the like. Useful if you need to be ready in a pinch, but often the penalties offset that.

But thats what my character would do!