Could a lowly goblin ascend to a legendary hero...

Could a lowly goblin ascend to a legendary hero? I love underdog stories and goblins always are getting shat on the most.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QUR1eYIoRTc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Angels can fall and apes can rise. I don't think there's a rule that a goblin can't become a legendary hero, and I don't think a goblin would let such a rule get in the way. At least, a goblin determined enough to become a legendary hero.

>monster heroes

It's gonzo enough for D&D. So sure, why not?

Yeah, happened before. Well, I was several consecutive goblins ascending as one hero actually...

I had a goblin that became filthy rich. Does that count?

> Born as a whelp to a brood-sow in the boonies
> Discovered that spirits respond well to bribery instead of the normal propitiatory rituals
> Becomes a shaman of great power, and an even more powerful politician
> Makes deals and trades favors until he's the Great Shaman
> When a young orc female bucks tradition and declares herself clan-chief of clan-chiefs, he's the first to stand behind her, since he sees her as the salvation of the greenskins
> Gives her counsel and honesty, even when the backstabbing orcish politics would require him to abandon her cause
> Basically the Samwise Gamgee of goblin politicians
> Survives to old age at 47, while his carefully tended network of sycophants and spirit-servants dissolves around him

It's a pity he's slated to die in this campaign.

undoubtedly that makes him a hero to a certain kind of person

Were they in a trenchcoat? Because I feel like a trenchcoat is required for such a feat.

Nope. They were consecutive chronologically, not vertically.

So it's a time-trenchcoat...

>Magic the Gathering

>Several of them cross several different story arches.

Pretty much. You know how Asians arr rook arike? Now imagine that, with more green and stinky.

no, they're racially idiotic and selfish and so are kobolds, orcs, drow, gnolls and every other "monster" race.

Bad guys are bad guys and your shitty fetishes, underdog boners, or stupid sob story obsessions.

*won't change that

I have never understood the appeal of goblins. I would sooner play female character before a goblin.

>t. Closet murderhobo who wants also the be good guy who is vindicated In his actions and has to resolve to making everything "demons but not stronk" so that he can pretend to be Attila the Hun while claiming to be Mother Teresa.

You need to play gobbos more often

No, I usually just play straight up atilla the hun. I only play barbarians, fighters, and really aggressive wizards.

back in my day all of this "b-but monsters are people too!" shit was either furries or tippers who wanted to make a bastardized and cliched "ugh im so misunderstood" angst story.

>back in my day all of this "b-but monsters are people too!" shit was either furries or tippers who wanted to make a bastardized and cliched "ugh im so misunderstood" angst story.

maybe you should just kill yourself then, because your day was at least 20 years ago and it's not coming back

No idea, but you just inspired me to write a story about a Goblin who read a few heroic books and decides to become a Hero after finding the Sword and Armor of a Deserter. In his first Adventure, he saves "Princess", a local peasants goat, and when the peasant is unthankful to Gobbo and also wants to eat the goat, Gobbo takes her as a knightly steed and rides on to his next adventure.
Started writing it in german though because i am just not fluent enough to make it work in english.

When you're a goblin, you don't have to step forward to be a hero--everybody else just has to step back.

Strangely, I think this tale would more fitting in German than English. Maybe it's because I grew up on badly dubbed German TV tale tales.

james bond confirms, the lazy goblin hero will save us all

how come? were they badly dubbed from another language to german or from german to your native language? because if its the second, im really wondering what tale tales from Germany are known in other countries.

They're Core in other systems you donut. D&D isn't the end-all, be-all setting/system.

It was five years ago user

Is his name Don'ugg Quixote'thrak?

>your day
>five years ago
that's not even a really great amount of time

thats obviously the inspiration, although Im making him a lot more sympathetic and actually achieving things over time. I called him simply Gobbo, because I like the sound of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=QUR1eYIoRTc
Goblin!Link (party)
The Seven Princesses And The Seven Goblins (And The Seven BBEG's They Defeated)
Goblin ranger/thief that likes the wilderness; practices sneaking around outside settlement/camp and running back without leading pursuers. Rest of his faction gets wiped out; he escapes. Everybody that could be on his side is wiped out. They are too powerful for vengeance, only justice is left. Starts a legendary quest for justice that makes him a legendary hero along the way. "Oh, a small group of bandits? Good practice. Let's go kill them." Short sighted self-serving goblins can be heroic. (Lol; a good version of Sasuke?)

well it's clearly not now considering the almost sudden turn of opinion of what being a that guy at a tabletop is.

no good adventure setting humanizes its cannon fodder

>liking monsters was being that guy
what if the whole group liked monsters?

3.5e DnD allows for Pun pun so maybe?

Lots of crying and hatred of racist humans.

This

with the release of Volo's every fetishist has come out of the woodwork and wants to be a kobold paladin or some completely absurd bullshit pest race that'd get murdered the second they got within eyeshot of a guarded town or city

Then you are all degenerates who are ruining DND together. Can't you be happy that you ahve shitty halfbreeds to fuck around with which imo are already hard to believe.

I err on the side of all such characters should be treated as hostile by guards and soldiers.

hahaha. thats some salt there user.

>then you are all degenerates who are ruining DND together
>liking monsters is being that guy

Planescape says get fucked and D&D has been shit since 3rd anyway

But go ahead and keep getting mad about it

I had a goblin who the players spared once but murdered the rest of its den mates. It was the scrwaniest one, and they let it go to "warn the others to get out of their country". He did go warn the others.
Like a phideppides, he ran from one clan to the other, just doing what he was told, in typical stupid goblin fashion. He gained alot of strength and endurance going to every mountain and hovel, telling the tale of the humans who wish to destroy all goblins and what country it was. He had to speak many languages to communicate this, had to take down other horde brutes to gain audience with the clan lords.
The further he ran, the more the other goblins, in typical mob mentality, followed. This roving band turned large, and unhindered because settlements would just say "eeg, goblins running away? Let it be. Good riddence.".
Over time, it became prophecy. "Big goblin unite tribes to stop destroyers of the race.".
It was a great way to break away from the "main quest" and watch the players realize that I really like to snowball events. This huge, battle worn, intelligent goblin who has seen the world and united his people, had finally come for revenge for the mass murder of his clansmen, committed for a few gold coins and free ale. It didn't change goblins from being stupid, evil little creatures, but fighting one with the charisma and strength to stand up was unexpected.

Probably, though it may well involve
>the goblin only accidentally doing something heroic, like pushing a statue off a roof in an act of vandalism and dropping it on a bigger villain
>others misinterpreting the actions of the goblin, such as thinking that the aforementioned vandal was trying to save them
>goblin getting facts wrong and making claims based on what they think happened, like beating up a large lizard and claiming to have slain a dragon
>other goblins believing tall tales by this goblin, spreading rumors, and getting him called upon to do some sort of actual heroics
>goblins dying at something heroic but another one takes credit, keeps sending minions on suicide missions since the tallfolk can't tell them apart anyway and he can keep claiming it was him

>settings have universal cannon fodder

You're just digging yourself deeper, here.

Isn't that basically Ace Rimmer from Red Dwarf. He keeps dying but his legacy lives on in the next one.

Except that most goblins act more like Arnold. Still, that's just part of the "happy to take credit for the deeds of others" bit.

What a guy.

The current BBEG of my campaign is a goblin, though (most of) the players don't know.

He could, but it's going to be a sad story.

I had something similar in one of my games. I had a Goblin character in the party who unknowingly was the eternal champion of goblinkind, basically green Elric. As the DM I was building up the revelation that the lowly creature had a greater Destiny, but unfortunately the player dropped the game before the payoff.

But that is another story.

>There is only one setting and one way to interpret fantastical creatures

Oh right, I forgot that anything that isn't Greyhawk is too special snowflake REEEEEEEEEEE

Of course they could.

Assuming, that is, that your DM isn't a HUMANS UBER ALLES asshole, or one of those fuckwits who insists that you're an uncreative hack if you choose to make a character who is any other race than human.

Nah you have down's and propably are an american as well. I remember reading a book where goblin became a hero.

Lmao it seems he also rekt a fucking knight with an oversized axe which is more impressive.

You're missing a key point.

Thunt style "b-b-but we're misunderstood!" is aggravating when the vast majority of the species in question does comprise of backstabbing little shits, and I agree that this shit is a lazy attempt at subverting cliches.
We all agree that fetishbait at the table is shit (unless the rest of the table is fine with it), outside some people trying to fit in but haven't lurked enough to understand the nuances.

All that said, there's nothing wrong with underdog races being heroic provided the setting allows for it, by making them just generally disliked rather than kill on sight, and making them have no inherent predisposition to be utter assholes.

Goblin being a hero for his people is not fucking same as being a hero for other races. For example there are kids idolizing gangsters for them they are heroes but for rest of society they are scum, a goblin who solo'd a paladin is hailed as great warrior by other greenskins but to humans he is a monster.

Goblins mostly do cool shit by being sacrificial cannon fodder.

Just have an ungodly-tough goblin that doesn't die afterwards.

According to fucking who? Because Tolkien Goblins sure as fuck weren't mindless cannon fodder considering they were more technologically advanced than humans. Not every setting is Warhammer.

My guess would be pathfinder or warhammer

>muh subversions

>implying soloing a Paladin is hard

Several goblins that have been controlled by two players have risen to the top in the quest group im apart of and are now at the level of dukes in terms of power they hold
One is a pious ruler who has a great cathedral in his city
the other has a major economic center of the kingdom with trade contacts throughout the world

it depends on the setting, i think
which is partially why anons like are fucking retarded

some goblins are impulsive, violent, and eager to get into the action - that kind of character can be a fucking blast to play if done right.
but really as a DM you could have goblins be pretty much whatever the fuck considering how often they're used in other pieces of fiction and how varied they are as a result

mtg has goblins like that because they're pretty much red: the race, but i don't think there are any rpgs for it that aren't homebrew, which is a shame. the homebrew i have played was pretty decent, though.
pathfinder goblins are the same, and tend to be used as disposable foot soldiers by those who can enslave them.

>he did not survive the celebratory beating

Nice one

I liked that comic for a while but yeah

I wrote in a dragon slaying goblin ranger named Pingo the Trusted into a campaign and he's one of my favorite NPCs yet. I am currently running him at level one through a LMoP because I had the character sheet and liked him so much.

He's basically a cobbler from a mountain village who wasn't real special in any way except that he was a goblin. His village was extorted by a dragon so Pingo tried standing up to him. The dragon laughed and threw him off the mountain with all his might, sending him miles away. Pingo now wants to be strong and find his way home to save his village.

He rides a St. Bernard named Herbert and dual wields scimitars. I just love the mental image of a confused dragon watching a screaming goblin charge on an overweight dog, waving scimitars wildly and still managing to fell the dragon.