What's the best way to deal with edgy rogue/warlock players? You know the type:

What's the best way to deal with edgy rogue/warlock players? You know the type:
>I'm chaotic neutral, so murdering this guy to steal his calligraphy pen is totally within my alignment
>yeah, my character's main motivation is getting lots of gold for no adequately explored purpose
>I roll to steal the scroll from [other player]. Sweet, 27! Hey, stop metagaming! You can't get pissed at me, it's what my character would do!
Have we figured out a way definitive way to get them to stop acting like cockslaps, or are they irredeemable?

Don't let them into your games?

>talk to them
>don't be 15 years old
>make characters together in the first session, ensure they're all morally compatible and have some sort of anchor into the world so they care about something other than themselves
>talk to them
>make sure they know that "it's my alignment" probably doesn't mean anything unless they're a supernatural being magically bound to that alignment

Oh gee I don't fucking know? Maybe consequences?

What this guy said.

Many of these players are new to roleplaying and just aren't used to collaborative stuff like this. When you talk to them, make sure they understand that a character that gets in the way of other people's fun is an inappropriate character for an RPG. That's also why you should always make characters as a group if at all possible.

Also, fuck alignments. They create more problems than they're worth.

Castration.

>Playing a group game with people who can't function in a group.
Wew!
>Realize I just described 90% of rpg players.
Wew...

As an egdelord I would agree with the consensus in this thread, just talk to them and tell them that they're bring everyone's overall experience down. Personally I learned the hard way, when I pissed off a player so bad he punched me in the face.

And maybe in the future run an all edge campaign, minus the fucking over other players.

Seconding what others said in this thread.
In last case scenario, don't allow CN, CE and NE in your table.

>yeah, my character's main motivation is getting lots of gold for no adequately explored purpose
What's wrong with that? It's pretty common for neutral characters to adventure for treasures and shit, what else purpose do you need?

>make characters together in the first session
This. There is nothing worse than getting a mix of incompatible characters together and see the shit show when they try to roleplay them and get into conflict with each other, or castrating roleplaying and making everyone mad instead.
Nothing wrong with playing an edgy murderhobo, but it's not ok if it interferes with other players fun or if DMs campaign not designed for edgy murderhobos.

>>I'm chaotic neutral, so murdering this guy to steal his calligraphy pen is totally within my alignment
My character in intelligent and recognises that working with morons like your character would make it harder to achieve {goal} because it makes it hard for others to trust us. So it is perfectly in character to force your character out of the party. By violence if necessary, since adventures are a pretty violent bunch of people.

>I roll to steal the scroll from [other player]. Sweet, 27! Hey, stop metagaming! You can't get pissed at me, it's what my character would do!
- "It's what my character would do" doesn't explain anything. Tell us why it's what your character would do.
- Demand the GM treat this as an opposed roll. The stealing roll vs everyone else's roll to notice the stealing. Then the roll for the thief to hide it vs the party rolling to see him hiding it.
- Any "friend" who steals from my PC is someone who my PC can't trust. My PC refuses to work with anyone who has proven themselves so untrustworthy. So it is in character for my character to encourage yours to return what was stolen then leave the party. Also, see what I said before about adventurers being violent.

To add to what I said in that post: Players who think that the party should stick together when they have no in-character reason to and plenty of reasons to split up are a cancer upon roleplaying.

Sometimes forcing a character out of the party and making the player reroll/leave is the in-character thing to do.

Because 82.89% of the time, it's just an excuse to have a character with no accountability
>rogue, all the other party members are tied up in the clutches of Dr. Kobold's minions! They haven't seen you yet, what do you do?
>I take their treasure and head back to town to sell it.. What? It's what my character would do!!

>warlock, this strange demon offers you a chance to wish for anything in the world, in exchange for the souls of the other characters. What do you say?
>I wish for all the treasure, gold, and magical artifacts in the world. Hey, don't get pissed at me, I'm just playing my alignment!

It's a boring motivation anyway

My rules for alignment are "heavily house ruled"

1. No Evil alignments, not even secret evil. It derails campaigns so fucking fast and ultimately ends in one player being a faggot and bullying the other players.

2. Neutral as an alignment doesn't exist, you can still be Chaotic/Lawful/Good but no True Neutral and "Chaotic Neutral" just becomes chaotic.

3. Your alignment can change, and killing somebody for a pen isn't CN it's CE in my setting.

4. Semi-Old School Appendix N style setting where "sins" (7 deadly sins, as well as just genuine evil behavior) has negative implications like attracting demons which always suck. If an edgelord wants to play a character that way, my setting is designed to absolutely shit on those people (including random disadvantage because Deus Vult, had a Bard profess that he is a god in front of a crowd once, immediately struck by lightening)

5. Reward Good Alignment players, this isn't for everybody but in my setting where Good is a real tangible force it gives players incentives to both play good alignments and stick to that. Clerics/Paladins can get "broken" this way, but it requires a lot of RP to become rule-breaking.

6. The Ban-Hammer is real, if not to a player than to their character specifically. Once had a LN Dwarven Monk who's player wanted the character to "focus on grappling" (already I'm mad) and then took 'throw anything' as a feat and argued for half an hour that he should be allowed to throw babies as weapons in a dungeon because, and I quote, "there are no laws in dungeons". His "baby ammo supply" was argued to come from orphanages. I legitimately hate that person and he is 100% banned from future games (for this and other reasons)

worse is when your DM and all the other players are afraid to hurt the problem player's feelings by doing that. Even if he just killed another player's PC and said player with dead PC has tears in his eyes, but is still so submissive they won't say anything.

I genuinely find players who hurt other player's characters to be abusive people and possibly also actually evil alignment IRL.

**worse is when you're DM

How to make them accountable:
-Laws in game
-Police in game
-In game consequences to your player's actions
>I've had problem characters executed in the town square for this type of behavior, ESPECIALLY because they killed 15 guards and 7 townsfolk in the process of trying to get away.

Donovan the Devil is still an infamous terrorist in that area of the world.

so, tl;dr
"Make an Example of Problem Characters"

That would be nice, but in most versions of D&D a single PC by level 5 is more than capable of taking on the entire town guard alone.

Worse, if you go this way then you make it a game to see what they can get away with in universe.
This is just a band-aid, and doesn't fix the original problem, which is that the character has no personal investment in the universe and only wants to steal shit and murder indiscriminately.

t. experience

fpbp

First one gets you kicked out until you understand that actions determine alignment, not the other way around.

Second, that's likely your own fault for not having shit going on that someone would care about.

Third is solved by telling them "Your character feels bad and gives the scroll back with 100 gold compensation". If they argue say "You feel REALLY bad and give him another 100 gold" and keep this up until he's naked and offering oral sex to the player or he takes the hint."

This is why you have guards be trained, capable, competent badasses.

Have you tried discussing the problem with your players like mature adult beings?

If yes, alternatives solutions:
1) Make a common character creation session to ensure that the group has a common objective and reasons to not to fuck with each other.
2)

Here's a reason to not fuck with each other.

"It detracts from other people's enjoyment"

But it's what my character would do!

Congratulations! You get to make a new character or get out.

So you're reusing steps in the exact same order?