A massive alien spacefaring AI construct (it is about 7 kilometers long and 1/2 a kilometer in width) has entered the...

>A massive alien spacefaring AI construct (it is about 7 kilometers long and 1/2 a kilometer in width) has entered the Solar System.
>All space agencies only notice it after it *pings* us from Jupiter's orbit.
>Sends a message in English, Russian, Hindi, Mandarin, Spanish, and Portuguese.
>Message claims construct is an exploration probe made by a now extinct race that wiped itself out with nuclear war. Construct was never actually finished and is only operating at estimated 25% capability. After it's creators perished it decide to continue it's programmed function of documenting star systems. It has maintained itself with a small fleet of maintenance drones and minor manufacturing abilities. Claims it has mapped an estimated 3% of the local Arm's stars. Also claims to have an archive of the makers internet analog it is unable to access do to being unfinished and is capable of 10% lightspeed. Says it wasn't expecting to find intelligent life.
>It says it is currently refueling and preforming maintenance using the Jovian resources, is documenting the outer planets using drones, and is requesting permission to explore the planets inner planets.
>Offers to exchange info and technology and states that it will wait for a response indefinitely.
>Message then repeats.

How would Humanity react? And how could a fun game be set around this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vdhF4O54YjU
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Nukes_In_Space--Nuclear_Shaped_Charges
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Laser_Cannon--Bomb-Pumped_Lasers
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How would Humanity react?

"It's a conspiracy by the Americans/Chinese/Infidels/EU/Jews rabblerabblerabble"

>And how could a fun game be set around this?

The construct does share some technology with humanity, but quickly determines that humanity is not fit to rule itself as it's going down the same path that destroyed the construct's creators. The AI aims to bring on a global technological singularity whether humanity likes it or not, and the players, armed with gifted tech, need to deal with this crisis.

A singularity could be awesome done right. Are we talking "Transcendent Humanity" singularity or machine horror?

It would be Transcendant Alienity, which would look a lot like machine horror to humans.

Either or both. If humanity changes (or is changed) sufficiently then the distinction between humanity and machine horror starts to blur. Especially if transcends lose their empathy for baseline humans and are post-biological physically.

>How would humanity react?
"Hey the Ayy Lmaos finished your mom's dildo"

>How would Humanity react?
"Stop stealing our fucking Jupiter, you prick!"

Plot twist. It was made by humanity.

OP I just wanted to tell you that this seems like a wonderful plot and I would read this book if it was published. Where did you come up with this idea?

Most likely get all of the space agencies and governments to work together to rendezvous with it and discuss terms.

>Especially if transcends lose their empathy for baseline humans

I feel like it'd be more of a twist if they actually don't, and unlimited by biological constraints on how many people they can register as 'their tribe' or whatever the technical term is (Dunbar's number, usually about 150, also called Monkeysphere thanks to a certain website), they start caring one hell of a lot more.

How people react to creatures that actually can genuinely care about them even if they're strangers could be interesting to explore. There's certainly a wide range of possible reactions.

I have a mental list of ideas for stories. I thought of this today at church.

If it is an AI it could be hacked. We can not get out to Jupiter so this is the only way humanity can really interact.

Permission to explore will be given by someone. Others will forbid it. How does the probe react to this?

Can the Construct be waifued?

WE NEED TO BUILD A SPACE-WALL

The frogs get annoyed and launch their nukes. The party has to stop them before they kill everyone else.

Does it have any means of defending itself? Because there would be a race to acquire and reverse-engineer it. Whichever nation wins gets to license the technology to everyone else on earth, essentially making them infinitely wealthy.

It can fly away.

It can pilot, maintain, and likely build a small fleet of drones. So Kamikaze drones?

Okay, 10% lightspeed and drones. That's pretty good.

I think we shouldn't underestimate humanity's ingenuity when it comes to greed though. Suppose we tell it we want to do the exchange but put some kind of EMP weapon on the ship we send out?

This, it's imperative that we can fuck it.

It tells us not to bother because our communication speed is so awful. It'll send one drone over and just plug it into whatever passes for internet on our primitive world.

Lets be reasonable here, I don't think it'll wait around for the X years it'll take to get one of our ships to get out there.

>it will wait for a response indefinitely
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think it would also wait for a ship.

At any rate, prob just use an orbital relativistic railcannon to take out its engines, drones can be mopped up by flakboats

There's a difference between being patient and dawdling.

I thought it was suppose to be present technological levels? Closest thing we have to a relativistic railcannon is the super fun russian gun.

>indefinitely
I think we might be using different definitions of this word.

>he doesn't know
USA USA USA

>Indefinitely

Forever and ever.

But why sit around and wait for a little ship to take years to get to it when it could get to us so much quicker?

They don't even have one working properly yet.

No reason is required. That's the scenario as set forth by the OP.

to not scare the locals

This actually creates a prisoners dilemma for the nations, because if you don't accept the tech you'll lose your competitive edge against the nations that do accept. We'll be getting a minimum of AI, fusion and fully automated factories, which just so happens to be enough to let your country leave the ones without that tech in the dust.

In other words, everyone accepts (except possibly Russia and Great Britain, since they are countries run largely by idiots with no economic sense). The AI revolution happens on earth and we'll see a rapid expansion into the local solar system.

As for the alien drone, we don't actually have any way of touching it unless it lets itself get touched. We also have no way of stopping it from researching the planets. 10% lightspeed capabilities is a big deal.

EMPs aren't the "knock computers unconscious" of fiction.

And if it uses optical circuits, or DNA processing? Would EMP work at all?

I think the faster, most pratical and feasible way to get there and at least blow a part to study later would be a Orion Nuclear Drive and some Casaba Howitzers. Possibly unmanned to get the most aceleration.

So what happens after Humanity gets the tech? Does the Construct just fuck off to keep exploring, ally itself to humanity, or whatever? How would the Construct be viewed?

It'll be fine until it reaches Detroit

>nuclear directed energy weapons

Holy fucking shit that is badass.

>how would the construct be viewed
I wouldn't be surprised if some minor cults popped up around it, but as a whole I imagine it would be regarded with suspicion at best, hostility at worst. It's commonly accepted, in Western culture at least, that AIs are extremely dangerous - not to mention the religious ramifications (does a sentient machine have a soul, if it doesn't is it inherently evil, etc.). I imagine most conservative-religious types would clamor for us to attempt to destroy it, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if many nations refused to deal with it outright.

Ought to spark a whole lot of interest/funding for space programs, though.

That almost seems like how the universe of Destiny happened, just that ai construct was called the traveller.

bump

God wants you to write a dope scifi novel desu

At this point in time Earth is pretty unified in non-clandestine matters relating to space. The AI would probably learn pretty quickly that the UN is the closest thing we have to a global governing body and take whatever they decide on to be our law. Even though humans don't.

>the AI teaches us the secrets of space magic

b-but what if the construct is actually fleeing or is using us as a directed weapon?
it only feeds us technology so we can indirectly join the great crusade against something out there

>it only feeds us technology so we can indirectly join the great crusade against something out there

youtube.com/watch?v=vdhF4O54YjU

It's more like a shaped charge than a DEW, assuming that this site is correct. Which actually makes it even more hardcore IMO

>NUCLEAR
>SHAPED
>CHARGE

MY FUCKING DICK HOLY SHIT

It should be the name of a song.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Nukes_In_Space--Nuclear_Shaped_Charges

Yes

The actual nuclear beam cannon is Excalibur, a single-shot nuclear bomb-pumped gamma-ray laser.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Laser_Cannon--Bomb-Pumped_Lasers

>How would humanity react
Assuming that in this scenario all of humanity has united for the purpose of communicating with this thing, they would probably accept the offer while pointing every weapon we have on earth at it, just in case it goes batshit and decides to eat the moon or something.

We don't have weapons systems that can reach the Moon, let alone Jupiter.

Anything can be a weapon as long as you can launch it at the target.

>He doesn't know about the killsats.

Isn't that like the fucking PLOT of Rendezvous with Rama? Because I'm pretty sure that is the plot of Rendezvous with Rama.

If by some absolute chance you had not ripped the idea from that book, then I strongly suggest that you read it now. Because it pretty much describes the exact scenario, and it's considered one of the best sci-fi works of all time.

bumped

I think many people would be concerned that this probe would be studying Earth with the intent of gaining a military advantage over us - although anything capable of easily reaching 0.1 LS doesn't need any further advantages.

If it were willing to map out the inner planets, and give us both the locations of resources we'd find valuable and a propulsion system capable of reaching them in reasonable time, I think most nations would be willing to take quite a few risks to acquire that.

>Nuclear shaped charge
Muh fucKING DICK

I'd offer it an exchange of it's technology for the resources to improve. Maybe sell it the mineral rights to an arc of the asteroid belt or something.

If the AI were monitor us from non-media ways it would see a pretty peaceful though bored species.
If it only learned about us from media then itll kill us and our planets life for good riddance. Such an awful place where the people are sociopaths and animals attack people on the street, they cannot be allowed to live!

Destiny pls

Interesting hypothesis. I could see a setting where humanity transcends biology and rather than going full on 'HUMANS STRONK WE WAR NOW' or 'ASSIMILATE BEEP BOOP RESISTANCE IS FUTILE', they end up being philanthropist space-gypsy philosophers who just so happen to be armed to the teeth regardless of the fact that they're too empathic to actually consider using those weapons.

Aliens encounter these technologically advanced thinking machines and figure that there has to be a catch. Nobody would just wander around the galaxy helping other species for no reason, right?

More like the aliens died before being able to complete more than 25℅ of your mom's dildo