How do Planeswalkers find new planes? How often can they planeswalk in, let's say, a day...

How do Planeswalkers find new planes? How often can they planeswalk in, let's say, a day? How the fuck does this shit work?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/homesick-2016-08-29
skepticalscience.com/evidence-for-global-warming.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How do Planeswalkers find new planes?
yellow pages

>How often can they planeswalk in, let's say, a day?
2.25 times a day

>How the fuck does this shit work?
magic

By willing themselves to walk somewhere. With information, they can guide their own walking, and by following other planeswalkers, they can walk to the same place easily. They can, however, simply walk randomly if they need to or are desperate. (The first planeswalk after a spark igniting is always random as ignition is often a traumatic event, filled with a need for escape.)
>How often can they planeswalk in, let's say, a day?
That entirely depends on the individual. Post-Mending, planeswalkers are mortals and planeswalking is mildly draining, but 2 walks a day is absolutely manageable even for the weakest planeswalker. Stronger planeswalkers certainly could walk much, much more, I imagine Nicol Bolas would not tire of it at all.
>How the fuck does this shit work?
Planeswalking is basically moving along the W axis, called the Blind Eternities. If something not adequately protected by the Blind Eternities tries to move this way, it gets utterly annihilated. As of the Mending, the barrier to move through this direction is stronger and planeswalkers weaker. Before the Mending it was as trivial as thinking and it could be done freely, endlessly.

Who knows neowalkers fucked the lore since pre mending urza would accidentally walk onto planes of fire or moons and shit. If Jace accidentally the wrong plane with fucked physics or no oxygen like most planes as stated in the artifacts cycle he would die.

Modern mtg lore is a joke, just enjoy your ps2 cgi art and tapping creatures and dont think about it.

Do planeswalkers leave a trail in the blind eternities another planeswalker can track?

>tfw when planeswalkers are actually princes of Chaos in Amber universe

I don't think this is ever explained. Though, we do know that Planeswalkers can follow after one another.

> tfw the term tfw alread contains the word 'when'

Someone is all assblasted about modern MtG.

I think the artwork is just fine. Better now than the first 10 years of MtG on a larger scale. And the lore isn't the best, but it never has been. Ever.

It would make sense seeing as how Garruk is hunting them all with no other real discernable way of knowing where they might be

Believe so, at least, that's what Dack Fayden implies his "Project Lightning Bug" can track, and he was able to track Jace fairly well. So it's not something unique to planeswalker tracking, it's that only planeswalkers will know what to look for.

>Someone is all assblasted about modern MtG.

Given that Time Spiral came out in 2006, I'm not sure how honest it is to call it "modern" magic anymore, given that Time Spiral to Kaladesh (10 years) is nearly as long as Alpha to Time Spiral (Alpha was 1993, so 13 years).

And let's be honest, Magic's storyline didn't really kick off meaningfully until Mirage in 1996. Magic: the Gathering has had "neowalkers" for pretty much literally half its life.

for fuck's sake, fucking user, don't make feel so fucking old!
fuck you

Further expanding on this, it's probably better to think of Magic's story as having had five distinct stages:

>Alpha through Homelands
This is where the deep lore happens and we establish some fundamentals about the universe, but there isn't really an ongoing storyline yet, just a bunch of unrelated things.

>Mirage through Apocalypse
This is where Magic's story actually kicks off and the grand tale of Urza's fight against Yawgmoth begins to take shape. This also roughly corresponds to the "revision" that happened in storylines starting with the anthology book Rath and Storm, which changed/clarified/decanonized things from previous Magic books, comics, and so on.

>Odyssey through Future Sight
The fallout of Urza's war with the Phyrexians. Far less focus on planeswalkers during this time; Magic's storyline is mostly directionless again. Culminates in a second great "revision" with Time Spiral block (though really it's no less damaging to extant canon and lore than the first one was)

>Lorwyn through Dragons of Tarkir
The "neowalker" phase, which mostly consists of establishing neowalkers and exploring new planes with some vague storylines being set up, as Wizards works to see who the most popular neowalker in each color is.

>Magic Origins through Kaladesh and beyond
The era of the Jacestice League. The Eldrazi storyline is brought to a close and Magic has finally settled on a single storyline again, namely, the life and times of the "Origins 5" planeswalkers and their ongoing struggle of four of them make a nuisance of themselves in Jace's house.

I started Magic with Urza's Legacy (1997). People born in the year I started playing Magic are starting to or already have entered college.

Trust me, I feel just as old.

if there are so many planes, why are they all stuck in same medieval stasis? why don't they ever come to a plane with modern earth's or even future's tech-level?
phyrexia don't count.

Almost none of them are in Medieval stasis. Several of them have technology notably in advance of what we have on Earth: Mirrodin, Ravnica, Kaladesh.

Their technology just advanced in a different direction from our own thanks to having access to a resource that we don't, namely mana.

Jared Carthalion

> Ravnica
> Mirrodin
> Fiora
> Innistrad
> Kaladesh
> Mercadia
> Rabiah
> Theros
> Arkos
> Amonkhet
> Kephalai
> Regatha
> Equilor
> and who knows how many more
> but all are Medieval era-esque, right?

I wonder how other planes would react to us having no Mana based technology?

Don't you know? There is only the modern era, with guns, and the medieval era, without guns.

> You burn WHAT into the air?
> And it does WHAT to your atmosphere?!

Really? Is that so?

> faggots
> makes rainbows

>> You burn WHAT into the air?
>> And it does WHAT to your atmosphere?!
> Phyrexians criticise us about global warming and pollution for how inefficient we are at killing ourself.

Something That Doesn't Exist criticise us about Something That Doesn't Exist and pollution for how inefficient we are at killing ourself

> Phyrexians are astonished by the fact that we breed our plane's beasts just so we have more to consume

> then we show Phyrexians our Phones and The Internet and they never want to leave our plane ever

> Phyrexians then start worshiping us as Fathers & Mothers of Machines

I remember hearing about how there are things like leylines in the Blind Eternities and where a plane forms on these lines determines the concentration of mana within the plane. So something like Innistrad sits on a heavy concentration of Black leylines, which is why Black has such a heavy influence on the plane and why Black mages are so powerful there. If a plane forms in an empty area without any of these lines nearby you get something similar to our world, a plane with no mana but still stable and potentially capable of supporting life.

So how exactly would a manaless plane like ours interact with planeswalkers, magic, and other things that are reliant on mana? Would things that require mana to function simple cease to work within our plane? Would they draw mana directly from the Blind Erernities? Or would they run off of whatever mana they brought with them like a battery until it runs dry?

>The era of the Jacestice League. The Eldrazi storyline is brought to a close and Magic has finally settled on a single storyline again, namely, the life and times of the "Origins 5" planeswalkers and their ongoing struggle of four of them make a nuisance of themselves in Jace's house.
This actually makes me want to read Magic lore. Thanks user.

You think I'm just exaggerating, but I'm not. The first half of this story is more slice-of-life anime then you can imagine and seems to mostly be about how the Origins 5, left to their own devices and without anything to do, will mostly just hang around Jace's house and break stuff.

>Nissa gasped. With a wave of her hand, the tree-beast jumped back away from him, landing with a reverberating impact that left Liliana clutching the ivy-clad railing for support. Somewhere in the house, she heard porcelain shatter. Several somewheres, actually.

>Gideon laughed uproariously. "That was incredible!" He braced his hands on either side of the crater, and with a grunt uprooted himself. He rolled up on to his feet and brushed black earth off his trousers, a grin lighting his face. "You can't hurt me, but I didn't even think about the floor."

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/homesick-2016-08-29

Oh no, my mortal enemy. Pic related.

No one from this plane could say that our plane is manaless, it could just be that none of us know how to tap into it. Though, if a planeswalker were to come to a plane with no mana leylines, then they could still cast spells and use artifacts that use mana entirely off the mana that they store inside of them, which even neowalkers are capable of. As well as tap into mana from other planes they have a familiarity with from across the Blind Eternities.

> thinking every single thing a Planeswaker does in their life is an on-going struggle to overcome one ancient evil after another
Shit, even the Power Rangers go to school and hang out at the Smoothy Bar every once and a while.

>Gids Beefslab
FTFY

This sounds like fucking seinfeld

Do Planeswalkers have Planeswalker kids? I know Urza (maybe) had a son that wasn't a Planeswalker but his wife didn't have a Spark herself. Would two Planeswalkers (say Jace and Liliana if her womb isn't a graveyard itself) fucking have enough, uh, mana pass between them to kindle an ember for their kid?

You must be a politician.

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/homesick-2016-08-29
Neat. Should I search for the books or stick with the articles?

You could search for the books, but that would only help with older lore. They discontinued the books and comics a while back, and the archived articles are how the storyline progresses now. A shame in my opinion, but I suppose if they weren't selling then they weren't selling.

By walking around.

Hey, I didn't say I object to it.

That wasn't Urza's kid. And sparks are not inheirited. However, that doesn't mean throught all the Planeswalkers ever in existence, there hasn't been two Planeswalkers related before.

We just haven't witnessed it yet.

> politician
> Al Gore runs the leading "research" on Global Warming
No, I'm just not stupid and I've done my research. There have been multiple debunkings of Global Warming by actual scientists that all have linked "temperature rising annually" to how our planet rotates on it's axis around the sun. Just like back in the 60's and early 70's temperatures were getting colder each year and people were thinking we were going to have another ice age.

Over the course of decades, Earth's axis will put us in points further and closer to the sun year after year. So, seasons will be either warmer or a few years than previously or colder for a few years than previously. It's the natural. It has nothing to do with pollutants or the ozone layer.

>That wasn't Urza's kid

It might have been. It is never definitively answered whether or not Harbin was Urza's or Mishra's kid, although Kayla swore up and down that he was Urza's.

He did have Urza's blond hair, which wouldn't have been terribly likely if his father had been the dark-haired Mishra.

> There have been multiple debunkings of Global Warming by actual scientists

It remains, however, a vastly minority opinion amongst the scientific community as a whole. A few scientists speaking out against it does not debunk the whole thing, particularly not given the bevy of climatologists who support it. If the world had 100 climatologists, 97 of them would be supporting global climate change.

It also doesn't change the fact that the average global temperature has been trending upwards since we started seriously and accurately measuring temperature data in the mid 1800s. A moderate downwards spike in the 60s and 70s doesn't change the overall upwards trend.

The question these days is more about whether or not humans are causing it and whether or not humans can stop it. Almost no one with a scientific degree denies that it is happening at all anymore, however.

skepticalscience.com/evidence-for-global-warming.htm

>Just like back in the 60's and early 70's temperatures were getting colder each year and people were thinking we were going to have another ice age.
That was just journalists, not the scientific community.

> evidence
Actually, majority of scientists Don't support Global Warming. Why do you think it's become less and less prominent over the last decade?

Forgot to throw in that cfact.org pointed out that the 97% consensus for support of Global Warming was debunked and literally the test that "proved" that consensus had 2/3 people took no position either way.

Only 10% of scientists actually trusted the "proof" of Global Warming.

Kind reminder to never post unsourced charts in serious discussions!
Sorry to be annoying, but it's a matter of principle!