This is what passes for a gun in the Imperium

>this is what passes for a gun in the Imperium

ayy lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yo1fNO6bx48
panoptesv.com/SciFi/LaserDeathRay/DeathRay.html
forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Tech-Thrall-Covenant-with-Las-Locks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah? It's a super-powerful lazer blaster. That can be powered from any energy source. And can be produced for peanuts.

>super-powerful
>cant fucking kill an Ork

I think the Guardsmen are just too dim or ignorant to properly set them at full power.

Orks can survive having their heads transplanted by deranged paindoks, they are pretty ridiculous when it comes to surviving

looks more like yo momma

> super-powerful
It's not significantly more powerful than a modern service rifle. Its advantages are in ease of use and logistics, not stopping power.

It doesn't need to be good, it needs to be cheap, efficient with it's ammo, and capable of killing a man.

Sure it's not a bolter, but it's an imperial logistic officer's wet dream.

>Can't kill an Ork

Can with headshots, which is about as good as you'll get for anything that's not a legion boltgun or stronger to the chest. Orkz are tough motherfuckers, user, that's the point.

I think you guys forget how powerful lasguns are. They're fully capable of shooting through concrete walls and engine blocks.

It's just that they're up to bat against motherfuckers who can demolish buildings with headbutts and guns that rapid-fire tiny missiles or super-heated bolts of fuckyou gas.

They only seem weak in comparison.

The average lasgun on medium setting can blow a mans arm clean off

Love solar auxillia's lasgun, the best variant ever produced lore-wise

>not significantly more powerful than a modern service rifle

>“The older man sidestepped, so as not to risk hitting the girl. Then he blew the second chanter’s head into steam.” / Hammer and Bolter (#13), p.141 - **

One thing to remember is Lasguns are perfectly capable of different levels of outputs, not only that but any weapon-name in 40k tends to refer to a group of designs over specific ones. A Boltgun used by a Space Marine, for example, deals a good bit more damage than a Boltgun made for Humans, and even then there's variations of the two in pattern and capability.

Needless to say the average Lasgun, such as the M35 M, is capable of severing limbs and detonating heads on optimal, providing it's an unarmoured location.

Lasguns can blow an arm or leg clean off, which is something you see in a 50 cal if not a 20mm cannon. There ain't no service rifle, full power rifle, or GPMG that can completely blow a limb off a body. Hell a 5.56 round puts a hole in you the size of a dime, maybe a quarter at best.

>spells laser with a fucking z
Kill yourself.

you try killing something the size of a bear with five times the dumb luck and three times the thick hide

Orks can literally get their heads cut off with a cleaver, stitched on to a different body with steel hooks and leather strips, and then walk it off after a couple of days.

They are like the shooty, choppy cockroaches of the galaxy.

>with five times the dumb luck

Bears don't need luck. They've got all the raw skill they need to fuck your day up.

I don't buy this whole "Lasgun strong as AT Rifle" thing. In art, games and tabletop you see various peoples taking cover behind concrete (or space concrete) walls and they're perfectly fine (fine as you can be in 40k, that is).

Material science in 40k has hit absolutely ludicrous levels. Sure, Lasguns aren't as strong as an AT rifle, but they still sever limbs and pop heads like a .50 BMG when on the higher settings. Imperial Guard Flak Armour, conversely, actually does a good job of blocking even direct hits from this, meaning that even the cheap-ass Imperial military armour is a bit better than anything but the impractically top-of-the-line materials we have today.

That's rockcrete not concrete ;^)

50 cals exist in 40k, they're heavy stubbers and they have higher strength than lasguns. People talk up lasgun stopping power, but the actual stats don't support that. They're not appreciably stronger than autoguns and stubbers. Both the tabletop stats and FFG's stats give them similar strength/damage.

If that's true, why are plague zombies ever a problem? Likewise, why would poorly equipped rebels ever stand a chance?

> .50 BMG
Is S4. Lasguns are S3.

Plague Zombies are infused with the power of Nurgle himself, as we've seen his blessings can make flesh ridiculously durable compared to what it should be. That being said, however, fluffwise Plague Zombies and rebels usually don't stand much of a chance and get trashed by organised militaries in virtually any engagement. The former are still much more dangerous because the disease is airborne shortly after infection and there's no cure once you breath in the corpse-gas from a dead one.

Firstly, TT and fluff don't correlate particularly well, but decent enough point.

Secondly, in actual fluff we see Lasguns being easily capable of vapourizing heads and completely severing limbs, something anything less than a .50 might have trouble doing.

Thirdly, in fluff most Lasgun patterns are capable of varying outputs, which isn't represented in TT. You could fire your lasergun pretending to be an M16, see Chaos marines over the ridge and switch to 'maximum murder,' which is a decent amount more impressive, but nothing ludicrous.

Difference is what exactly?

It depends on the lasgun. Some are better than others, some have different power outputs depending on who they're used by. The Vostroyan Firstborn lasgun is a lot more like a musket or bolt-action rifle, while the Elysian Drop Troops use a fifty-shot bullpup, but is a semi-auto rifle, a fairly light gun.

IG tanks are significantly weaker than modern tanks in terms of armor and mobility. Their weapons also have trouble penetrating that same weaker armor. Modern tech is better in terms of short term performance, IG's main focus is on easy of use and supply since the Imperium sucks at organization, bureaucracy, and supply lines and the troops are a whole lot dumber than modern grunts.

Black library novels are inconsistent, the stats in codexes are a more consistent portrayal, and they indicate that stubguns, autoguns, and lasguns are in a similar group while a .50 cal is significantly more powerful.

The stats for the armour are old fluff and don't exactly correlate with the descriptions we've seen on how durable the Leman Russes actually are. Not saying they're instantly invalid, but by this point citing them doesn't hold a lot of strength as an argument either, especially considering the inconsistency of 40k fluff.

It makes more sense to me that the Leman Russ is extremely durable compared to modern tanks and the weapons they're throwing around are just far more advanced, especially considering we know Plasteel is some super-future alloy made during the Dark Age.

Well just imagine if that bear had five (5) lucks.

I feel like this whole idea is just an attempt to make the average Guardsmen cooler than he actual is.

I forget where I saw it but can't a lasgun pierce through like 6 inches of concrete (not rockcrete but regular modern concrete) and still kill an unarmored human on the other side?

Even if you ignore BL fluff, the lasgun can still do all of those things, and for some reason you keep ignoring the fact that lasguns have different power settings in fluff unlike in TT

Poorly equipped rebels never do. I can't think of a single time when anything other than a full traitor guard rising up did anything unless its outnumbering the PDF millions to one.

And plague zombies are nurgle's bullshit so it doesn't quite apply. All the shit about stress fucking up aim you see in zombie movies would be multiplied tenfold when the Monarch of Misery sics his servants on you.

The stats in the codices do offer a clear basis, I'll give you that. That aside, however, to make a .50 BMG S4 would be putting it on the same level as a .60+ superfuture material gyroget AP rocked that makes complete mincemeat of better-than-modern infantry armour, while also erasing the entire guy's torso from existence.

You could argue the Heavy Stubber I guess but it's clear from the Assault Cannon and Multilaser that GW takes weapons with a high rate of fire, gives them a decently low rate and increases the strength to represent loadsa dakka being thrown at once.

You can literally rip an Ork's arms and legs off, jam steel I beams in there as peg legs and weld, weld mind you, a pair of hatchet arms onto its stumps and it will survive

They have damn near wolverine style healing factor

>near
I don't know much about the wolverine but I'd say orks have a better healing factor. Can the wolverine be decapitated and survive it?

By default a lasgun has 1d10 + 3 damage with 0 penetration, while a heavy stubber does 1d10 + 4 damage with 3 penetration. However, you can set your lasgun to overload, in which it will then due 1d10 + 5 damage with 2 penetration, at the cost of using four charges for each shot, giving you an ammo capacity of 15 for each charge pack, and making the lasgun unreliable. This gives it pretty much the exact same stats as the heavy stubber.
If you REALLY need to kill a fucker you can get hot shot packs. You only get one shot per pack before you have to reload, but you get 1d10 +4 damage with 4 pen, which makes it slightly better then a heavy stubber against armored targets.
Thats not even getting into hellguns/hot shot lasrifles, which do 1d10+4 damage with 7 pen.

>can't fucking kill an ork
get these xenos off my board

The idea that lasguns are super powerful comes solely from guard-centric novels. It's not backed up by the rules or even novels told from someone else's perspective.

> By default a lasgun has 1d10 + 3 damage with 0 penetration
And the default stub automatic, which is basically a modern firearm, also does 1d10+3 with 0 pen.

Wolverine got nuked and regenerated
He can only really be killed by either
>Drowning
>Suffocation
>Starvation
>Complete incineration (you have to completely turn him to ash)

Poorly equipped rebels tend to either have numbers or terrain on their side.

Besides, you have to remember a lasgun works differently from an autogun (i.e. a rifle with bullets). Las-rifles cause a small surface explosion whereever their laser hits, which is great against unarmored targets and bare flesh. The reason flak can defend well against that is because it's good at resisting a level of heat, protecting a soldier from that surface explosion.

But otherwise, flak is really only good at protecting against shrapnel and maybe small caliber arms. So an autogun can actually pierce it pretty well.

>wolverine
He can survive being decapitated as well as vertically bisected. Orks to my knowledge will die if you hit their regenerative glands, so they do have weak points but those tend to be armored.

Wolverine has no weak points, every part of his body regenerates independently of the rest.

A lasgun has 60 shots before you need to reload and a autogun only has 30. If you increase the lasrifles power setting, you get +1 damage and your charge pack goes down to 30 shots, still making it a straight upgrade over the autogun unless you load it with specialty ammunition.
A hand cannon has 1d10 + 4 damage with 2 pen, which makes it better then a lasgun on its weakest setting but weaker then a lasgun on its strongest setting.

>Plague zombies
youtube.com/watch?v=Yo1fNO6bx48

Can you grow a second Wolverine from a severed arm?

And the actual stats have marines at a reasonable chance of dying in meele to guardsmen. Marines, who, btw, cant kill other marines with their bolters.

And the best way to kill terminators is massed lasgun fire.

TT stats are shite for anything, including the w40k tabletop game

I think riptide does a good job at portraying the inherent superiority of tau versus everyone else except eldars.

I don't think anyone's tried that just yet, but you don't get a second Deadpool from a severed arm, and his healing factor is based off of Wolverine's, so I'm betting the answer is, "no."

>It's not significantly more powerful than a modern service rifle
a man-portable laser with that output IS super powerful

Lasguns used to be S4. They're on the cusp of bolter territory, just with less penetrative force.

>ayy lmao

Look, we already knew you were alien filth just by disrespecting the Imperium but you don't need to telegraph it so much.

And the stats in codices are more retarded than the fluff, not to mention that fucking GAME MECHANICS aren't canon. Besides if you think there's consistency in any fiction, you're an idiot. Cause it's fiction.

>>Drowning
>>Suffocation
>>Starvation
>>Complete incineration (you have to completely turn him to ash)
Those didn't work either. You have to remove his healing power to kill him, otherwise it's impossible.

Someone did the math a while ago, It kicks like a .22, and has the force of an incendiary 20mm,

They have the firepower of an M14 and the reliability of
an AK with the advantages of using power for ammunition.

They really power creeped the fuck outa ol Logie didnt they?

>if you think there's consistency in any fiction, you're an idiot.

I don't think you know what that word means.

TAUFAGS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

panoptesv.com/SciFi/LaserDeathRay/DeathRay.html

For those interested in lasguns and science.

You cant compare lore and stats.
Lorewise a space marine could be swarmed by hundreds of nids and come out without a scratch.

Lorewise old one eye could alone tear apart most any army you could field in the game.

You may have a point with the ffg stubber comparison though.

The admech novels can probabbly give a pretty accurate depiction of how powerful all the weapons are.

But yeah combining the already inconsistent 40k with the need to have the protagonists kill shit dead makes for unreliable data.

There is no fictional universe that is consistent, even if it has a single author. If you're looking for consistent statistics in a setting, you're an autist.

Probably not, parts would probably just exist in a horrific state of not-death until reattached.

>what even is a hollow point round
if you actually want to shoot people you use hollow point rounds, which while not making a larger hole have a much much larger expansion ratio which would probably be comparable to a lasgun.

Maybe IG novels are simply propaganda?

>all soft tissue gone down to bare bone
>eyeball

>idiot OP tries to use Meme!
>it wasn't very effective

so whats the problem with a gun that is reliable and tough, and can kill a normal human?

that it cant kill a space marine or battlesuit? thats like asking why your M16 cant kill a tank. against anything T4 or less, you have a pretty good chance of knocking them out, especially if fired in bulk

What is the most common enemy IG fights? Orks. And can this gun reliably kill Orks? No. Can it kill Necrons or CSM? No.

So this pile of cuntfuck is good only against cultists yet is issued in every war.

CAN THIS GUN KILL ORKS RELIABLY? I DUNNO YOU TELL ME AFTER I FINISH DUMPING 60 DICE FOR HITS AND 45 FOR WOUNDS.

NECRONS? CSM? FUCK THEM AND GET THE SLIGHTLY SHOOTIER VARIANT, THE HOTSHOT LASGUNS,
WHATS THAT I HEAR. THE GLORY OF THE HOT SHOT VOLLEY GUN? 12 SHOTS A PIECE?

This. An Abrams platoon wouldn't last more than a couple minutes against a few Leman Russes. I doubt it's main cannon could even penetrate its armour without a luck hit in the rear while a Lascannon oneshots everything.

considering that the primary ork-killing weapon is the flamer and autocannon, then the lasguns are simply there to screen out survivors who managed to walk through your actual guns

against necron or CSM, lasguns still serve the main purpose of screening the HWT or tanks, both of these foes cry against battle-cannons and plasma, with the survivors no longer coherent or numerous enough to withstand even the paltry fire power of a lasgun

and the main advantage of lasguns is their number, anything that isnt a terminator or MC will eventually die to massed lasfire, an ork might withstand 2 or 3 shots, but getting hit by an organized fusillade will ensure that he will be turned to swiss cheese

Remember when Angron with army consisting solely of Berzerkers shitstomped entire planets? Lmao shows how powerful IG is.

What do the Kriegers use? Lore describes them similar to hotshot lasguns, slower but more powerful. Like bolt action rifles.

DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A SUPER HOT BEAM OF IONIZATION/LASER TOUCHES SOFT SQUISHY AND RAW FLESH? INSTANT CAUTERIZATION OF THE WOUND AND INTERNAL BLEEDING.
YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO BLOW THE LIMB OFF TO KILL HIM
JUST FIRE THREE ROUNDS INTO HIS MIDSECTION AND DUCK TO COVER. THEN WAIT FOR HIM TO EXSANGUINATE HIMSELF AS HE RUNS TOWARDS YOU.
IF HE ISN'T DEAD OR COLLAPSING BY THIS POINT. STAB HIM A COUPLE OF TIMES

that speaks more about angron, and having a legion strength army of astartes , than it does about the IG, who to my knowledge didnt exist at the time of their planet killing thing

It's the metal skeleton that does it really.
If you could destroy his brain it would probably kill him, since he can't regenerate if he is actually dead, but that thing is in an indestructible dome.

How does he breathe with a fixed-size indestructible metal skeleton, anyway? I assume they did the same stuff to his cartilage as his bones, or else he'd have real problems with his sternum getting punched into his spine by musclebrutes.

Does he have to expand his gut every time he inhales? Does he worry people think he's fat?

Your mother is a cunt.

>Does he worry people think he's fat?
he's canadian and drinks heavily

if he didn't have a beer gut, people would ask questions

>this is what passes for bait in Veeky Forums

ayy lamo

That's a grenadier with a hellgun.
Otherwise it's lucius-pattern standard lasgun.

Laslocks are the bolt action elephant rifle equivalent.

Orkz can easily tank any modern gun that isnt heavy duty.
Pistol rounds just bunce of them apparently.

>and maybe small caliber arms.
Its been described to stop autostubber shots perfectly well.

The imperium is high tech as fuck.

One was made by necron tier tech humanity the other was made by us.

>What is the most common enemy IG fights
Nids
So yes your basic gaunt will be torn apart from a single shot anything bigger might be a problem.

forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Tech-Thrall-Covenant-with-Las-Locks

>Nids

According to what? Several regiments are known for fighting orks and orks can be found everywhere in the galaxy. Probably the only enemy more common than orks are other guardsmen in terms of heretics and traitors.

There's Las-Locks and Laslocks. Las-Locks are the old Tech-Thrall GC design and Laslocks are primitive Lasguns used by some Guard Regiments.

It's weird.

Where do "bolt action laser" laslocks even come from, because I can't find anything about them.

>A laslock is too an Elephant gun what a lasgun is to an assault rifle.
>Laslocks are older, slower, more powerful and less accurate lasguns
Come on, you get the point.

IIRC it's from Gaunt's Ghosts novel Straight Silver, where the local pdf have one-shot cells for their old lasguns. Not bolt-action per se, but the effect is similar.
(though you could have a bolt action, since there is no recoil to eject the spent cell)

One shot is as powerful as a decent size burst from an automatic weapon in intermediate range.

Until DoW2 and the FFG Spess Mehreen game SM Bolters were only slightly more powerful than guardsman use ones, and on par with SoB ones.

Then some asshole gave them .998 long instead of .75 long.

ork can keep fighting with 2 spears in his back and half a head missing
might as well say "lol it can't kill a tarrasque"

Also massive tissue damage as flesh boils and causes cavitation deeper in