Got a question for ya, Veeky Forums. What do you love about 40k? I mean, what draws you personally into the setting?

got a question for ya, Veeky Forums. What do you love about 40k? I mean, what draws you personally into the setting?

the fact is, I see a phenomena quite often where someone will take an obscure piece of fluff and enjoy how it alters their idea of the setting, but as soon as they share it some autist comes along and tells them how they are enjoying 40k wrong.

So tell me- what does it for you?

>What do you love about 40k?
The conspiracy theories about the missing primarchs.

Also the aesthetic, and the over-the-top METAL AF attitude towards everthing. Ever aspect is blown up to its maximum potential. Nothing is small. There's something attractive about a battlefield littered with billions of corpses, and never ending wars.

You are enjoying 40k wrong.

No u

One one hand, I enjoy how over the top it is, but then it tries to play the grimdarkness straight and it just comes off awkward to me, so I end up enjoying the subersions more than the regular fluff.
So basically, Ciaphas Caine and Gaunts Ghosts are the main reason I like the setting.

You are enjoying 40k wrong

I know, and that just makes me hornier.

Gothic cathedral spaceships shooting magic space elves in religious war while metal plays in the background with ominous chanting and the cathedral space captain has a tricorn hat, a cape with tassels and a space monocle implant as he's so filthy space rich he munches on something that costs more than most planets make in a space year.

And then the space marines attack. IN SPACE.

The ridiculously over the top, easily identifiable, melting pot, color-coded, grimdark craziness. Honestly, as much as I love not taking Warhammer %100 seriously %100 of the time, I'm glad there are spergs who do, for the sole reason of any time I fluff a joke army, or chat about a headcanon, or make a "good guy" faction, there will always be someone there to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

And then I'll know I'm doing it right. Your dudes, man, that's what it's all about.

>doin' it right

>the fact is, I see a phenomena quite often where someone will take an obscure piece of fluff and enjoy how it alters their idea of the setting, but as soon as they share it some autist comes along and tells them how they are enjoying 40k wrong.

Boo hoo. It's probably something retarded that they've misinterpreted, or they've got a shitty take on the setting. I see THAT shit all the time.

Shitlord writefags who want 40k to be told from the perspective of an Imperial Guard everyman (i.e an idealized liberal Western citizen-soldier transplanted into the future and issued a lasgun) so that they can 'emphathize' with them.

Shitlord fanboys who exagerate their chosen faction's strengths and refuse to accept their weaknesses ("It's unfair that Eldar potters and painters are only slightly better than professional human soldiers! They should be as skilled as Space Marines, and quicker too! This has to change for 6e!")

Shitlords with no sense of style who'll write fluff like Kaldor Draigo, try to edge up the Orks with 'the Beast', or create models like Murderfang.

All I want is to see 40k head more towards a 2000AD type feel, like it used to have before it got shat up by shitlords who simultaneously manage to take it too seriously while adding derpy shit to it.

If you disagree with any of this then yes, you are a pleb who's enjoying 40k wrong.

U LE ARE LE ENJOYING LE 40 LE K LE WRONG XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD hahaha I sed it again XDDD am I cool yet? XDDDD

Thanks for saving me a post senpai.

It's an absolutely massive setting with the freedom to do damn near anything you want. You can make a guard regiment for example out of damn near any idea you want and it's completely legit for example. Even space marines or other factions offer a good deal of freedom to make an army that is truly yours.

The main problem is that people are taking it way too seriously these days, while on the other hand GW seems hellbent on changing lore and adding random shit in just to sell shiny new models that look like shit, such as tauroxes and Centurions. Also GW being determined to give stupid names to forces just so they can copyright the name (fucking Astra Militarum bullshit)

U LE ARE LE ENJOYING LE 40 LE K LE WRONG XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD hahaha I sed it again XDDD am I cool yet? XDDDD

The creativity, richness, and how large the world seems. I bought some space marines and codex when i was 9 or 10 (around 2000) because it looked so fucking cool...cooler than everquest, pokemon, Magic, or anything else i had encountered up to that point.

Unfortunately the rules were way too daunting for a 10 year old aand nobody wants to take the time to teach an annoying kid how to play. Also, I didn't understand how expensive it was. Those two things mean i never properly got into it.

Still love the lore but I doubt i'll ever build an army and play :/

It's the grim, hopeless artwork. Personally I prefer 6th-8th edition Warhammer Fantasy. Fantasy grimdark is superior to sci-fi grimdark, but both are well done in my opinion.

The gothic, exaggerated stylized artwork and themes such as the inquisition, blessing weapons and power armor, cults and the fact that every race is described to be the most bad ass force in the universe is fun

Kitchen sink setting. It took inspiration from everything, so you can easily keep throwing in whatever you want, because the setting is that massive, and almost no matter what it is, there's probably room for it somewhere, gives me a whole lot to work with so I can keep customizing armies and making shit up. There's just so many things you can do with it.

That as well as the aesthetic and the theme of the Imperium of Man, the Warp and Chaos as a whole.

Also quite like the Age of Strife, this is where it all becomes metal as fuck and Conan the Barbarian in space. Wish they'd do more with it, honestly more interested in this age than the Horus Heresy.

Agreed. Honestly, they should've kept the Horus Heresy vague as fk.

>Personally I prefer 6th-8th edition Warhammer Fantasy. Fantasy grimdark is superior to sci-fi grimdark

I think what worked for WHFB was that it was a bit toned down, and that outside of all the war, it was still a very lively setting. Not everyone was in a constant fight for survival in the face of total apocalypse and extinction. Sure the potential world ending wars came, but they usually also went. Sometimes the vampire lord invades the worlds of man, just because he actually has a claim to the throne as legitimate as the other elector counts.

Agreed. In WHFB, each race had a culture, and you can surmise what life is like when there's not war or battles. It was a much more "realistic" place to live. Each race had a civilization. In 40k...it's like literally all war and nothing else exists.

Honestly, I fucking love how the guard is consistently shit on, but they keep on keeping on no matter what. Like they're just a bunch of ordinary guys and gals stuck in the middle of space orks who just slaughter entire planets when they get organized. Chaos space marines who tower over them and can tear entire platoons apart before even taking a dent in their armor. Various xenos with either better tech, a nearly undying killer biomass, ancient killer aliens, and crafty space elfs. At the end of the day, if someone thinks they've been fightinf chaos or whatever too long, they might just get purged anyway. I guess the hopelessness of the guard combined with the great characters that seem to come out of it draws me into the fluff. I always want to read about a group of guardsmen kicking ass and getting shit on at the same time for humanity

It drags a bit when I read something that's DARK and SAD and REALLY TERRIBLE. I get that British humor is really dark, but modern 40k is way too depressing for me. I love the setting when it's either wacky and a billion innocent people die as a punchline, or when you can tilt your head a bit and see how it's a more "Black and White" setting than the collective crushing depression of the writers lets on.

lol, what kind of overly sensitive pansy actually gets sad when reading warhammer fluff??

Hey does anyone have the new Sisters of Silence assembly instructions and could post a shot of them? I got some off eBay and have no instruktions.

To be fair though, it was still pretty over-the-top grimdark. Have you looked at the world map?
>Should we settle down next to the Skullfire Peaks?
>How about Lake Blooddeath? I hear it's quite nice.

But jokes aside, it was far less intent on shoving the grimdark into your face all the time. Thats why I like it when the non-sperg fa/tg/uys make something beautiful in 40k.

As hopeless as it all seems for guardsmen, imagine being the fire warrior or guardian whose position is about to be hit by waves of millions of guardsmen. At that point, it doesn't matter whether it's primitive and violent orks, monstrous gaunts, or absolutely spiteful humans. You're about to get torn apart by a hundred choppas, claws or bayonets.

Yeah, and the warp was still hell on acid and the mythology was ruthless as fuck, but there was plenty of place for fun and cool stories rather that just grimdarkness all day erryday.

gothic space aesthetics. helps that I am a marine fanboy too.

I enjoy playing the game. I mean don't get me wrong, I like the lore and I love to read the books and extrapolate about things that aren't explained, but at the end of the day I started because I liked putting minis on a table breaking out my measuring tape and throwing some dice. The fluff to me, while entertaining, is secondary to the game itself.

You may actually be enjoying the game wrong.

You may be right. But I'll just go on doing ot anyway.

Chaos. Understood in a "incomprehensible evil that will torment you for eternity" way.

Finally, someone decent.