Hey Veeky Forums...

Hey Veeky Forums, how come dnd 5e games at my FLG are full of power gaming asshats who brag to my actual face about their fictional damage they dealt?

Where's the love for the story and the roleplay? The only character development i usually see is I WANNA BE THE HERO shit.

Be the change you wanna see, asshole.

Run games where you discourage that activity and encourage story and roleplay.

If you can't get it done, burn down the store because obviously you'll never amount to anything.

>dnd
There's your problem.

Hard to move the story along when you're dead, people powergame because dnd used to encourage stupid ways of killing PCs. This made the mentality of making a character who can win any encounter, becuase how the fuck do you get involved in a story with rotating characters?

> D&D
Found your cancer. DnD rule books are pure number crunching autism with no actual advice for developing a world, handling off road situations or being a successful GM. After all, a self sufficient DM would reduce demand for the campaign dlcs.

>Plays D&D, a game about killing things and taking their stuff
>Gets mad when players are happy killing things and taking stuff

Sounds like an issue that the GM could deal with.

A good GM could easily resolve this issue, but my guess is they are either green or don't care.

"I did X damage" is more swiftly relayed than a story in the game.

Adventurers league. That's your problem. The only thing players have any control over in there is their characters and what they do in combat. The rest of the game is all preset bullshit with amateur DMs railroading the fuck out of everything. Not even the good DMs who are paid to play D&D by the LGS enjoy it, because it's too rigid.

Apparently you've never read the books.

This. There's no freedom for the DM or players to significantly affect the world beyond maybe three endings for a given module. It keeps the system afloat, but you can't go much further with those sort of cereal box games.
Also, the players eternally wafting between game store official sanctioned tables often have no desire or aren't desired at home games where real magic happens.

>Powergaming
>5E

Christ, what's the point?

It can get nasty. I just left a group because i felt so absurdly useless.

It's D&D, and a store game. Of course it was bound to happen.

At a house with a group of friends who are comfortable with role playing with each other in a game.
Alternatively the same situation but online instead.
It's hard and took me about 5 or 6 years until I found the group I'm in right now, but I love them all and we actually do one-on-one RP things and send them to our DM so we save time to RP all together with NPCs he makes and combat in 5e D&D.
Just keep searching bro you'll find the right guys some day.

It really depends on the group, i always reward role playing, and put players in situation where combat stats mean shit, that doesn't mean there aren't sections of the game where combat is important, one tip is to stop looking and getting mad about the other ways that people play pretend, i was surprised when i knew one group just played out combats ,a simple string of story and almost no role playing, but hey they where having fun

How do you powergame in 5e? I had one guy tell me that a ranger/bladelock could do hella damage if the the DM let you take a ranged weapon as a pact weapon but that requires DM fiats. There's nothing in the current book/supps that allower for powergaming as far as I'm aware, at least until they release "complete xyz"

You see OP, the thing about games with mechanical systems is that they reflect the reality of the story. That guy who is dealing more damage is actually inflicting more grievous injury. Characters that fight often find that very important. Whether they take pride in their skill or are simply trying to stay alive, being effective in combat is a very important character facet!

Remember that there is no divide between story and mechanics! Mechanics are the method by which the story is told. Story is the framework by which we create the mechanics. Please play nicely with players that prioritize mechanics. All they want is to play characters that are the best at what they do.

Playing with strangers is the problem, only thing relevant when you constants changing players is the things that stay the same, ex. your stats.

Nobody cares about "story" because its not consistent, both the plot and the characters.

You want ambiance and RP, get a consistent group. Preferably without powergamers, but you can make it work.

when you're constantly changing*

5e DMG, chapters 1,2,5,6 & 8 are ONLY about developing a world, an ambience, improv skills, and GMing in general. Oh, and the rest of the book has advice sprinkled in too.

Seconded. I feel like 5e DMG is a lot better than the 4e DMG.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP I'M BETTER THAN THOSE ROLLPLAYERS ONLY I UNDERSTAND THE TRUU MEANING OF R O L E PLAYING I'M BETTER THAN THEM SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UPPPP

>power gaming
>5e

They're playing the wrong edition, that's for sure.

either you're shitposting or you legitimately know nothing about 5e

calling 5e number crunchy is fucking mind-boggling

>ranger/bladelock

those are probably the two worst class options in the base phb and stat wise they have little to nothing in common

anyway there is a handful of combinations of classes and feats that are all the munchkins talk about

polearm master + sentinel + great weapon master

sharpshooter + abusing hand crossbows

divination wizard + lucky + halfling

that ridiculous lore bard cone of cold find steed bullshit that would never work ever

but really, there's only a handful. And munchkins and people stuck in the 3.pf mindset talk about this shit endlessly in /5eg/. Every day there's thirteen people asking "Hey is my variant human with polearm master and sentinel VIABLE"?

viable is always the word that's used, despite it meaning absolutely nothing in the context of a non-competitive game.

I want to FUCK Mercy

Is my dick in Mercy's ass VIABLE?

Because 5e is built much like 3.x. Not made specifically for power gaming, but very easily power gamed. Compared to 4E (which I will say I fucking hated), which was surprisingly balanced.

At least, that's my superficial impression.

I think it's more about the people D&D attracts, though. I've been playing D&D basically exclusively for over 10 years (not that that's all that long, but it's a fair bit), and I've found that something like 2 in 3 players wants to be the strongest, and the only role playing they do is related to wanting to be the strongest. Things aren't going their way? No role play, only out of game brooding. They do something well in combat? Suddenly they wanna role play how cool their attack was. This has been consistent through 3 to 5e and pathfinder, in my experience.

The people who play at the LGS can't get games elsewhere. And for good reason.

Mercy was/is always the best choice.

Best Girl

This is what you get for playing IRL instead of spending 6 months nailing down a list of people you can play with online who have compatible timezones and don't flake.

I like the second one better.

As do I, user.

I like the first one better. Slutty Christmas cake doctors push several buttons on my accordion.

Until they play your diddle like a damned fiddle.

>brag to my actual face about their fictional damage they dealt?
I like to talk about the damage I deal because one of my favourite builds is absolute max damage build either per hit, per round, or in one specific turn.
>I like Paladin/Assassin because the idea of dumping 4d6+3d8 die of extra damage with auto crits seems awesome as does the idea of a religious assassin like a Hashashin striking from the shadows, decapitating someone, and fading back into the shadows.
>I like smite spamming Paladin because dropping enemies with a few extremely high damage hits with extremely high chances to hit seems cool. A paladin bringing down an enemy with a handful of highly precise and powerful cuts.
>I like heavy crossbow ranged fighters because the idea of going Guts on someone with a heavy crossbow dumping 6 shots that do 1d10+15 damage each in a single turn seems fun.
Are these builds OP? Perhaps I don't really care if I feel like I'm hogging the spotlight in combat I will tone it down either using less efficient gear options or just not go balls to the wall all the time. I have done it before and it isn't a huge deal nerfing myself and I ask the DM to tell me if I seem to be hogging the spotlight.

>not mentioning glorious barbarian5/rogue15 shittery

IMMUNE TO DEX SAVES
GOOD CON SAVES
GOOD STRENGTH SAVES
Gets wisdom saves at level 20
TAKES FUCKING QUARTER DAMAGE FROM ATTACKS
DOES SNEAK ATTACK BUT ALSO GETS AN EXTRA ATTACK AND GETS RAGE DAMAGE
NO FEATS REQUIRED
ALSO HAS A FUCKING SHIELD, MEDIUM ARMOUR IS ONLY -1 AC DOWN FROM HEAVY
+10FT MOVESPEED AND CUNNING ACTION
ADVANTAGE ON STRENGTH CHECKS, EXPERTISE ON ATHLETICS AND HIGH STRENGTH, UNESCAPABLE GRAPPLES
BLINDSIGHT
DON'T HAVE SNEAK ATTACK? HA-HA, RECKLESS ATTACK, SNEAK ATTACK.
>reckless attack for almost double crit sneak attack chance every turn, due to advantage giving almost double the chance to crit
If you get tough feat, you get +10 more HP than a regular barbarian.
YOU GET AN EXTRA SKILL, TOO
OH, AND THIEVES' TOOLS AND MORE EXPERTISE
You get the same number of ASIs, but you get your last one at 17 instead of 19.
ALSO three rogueish archetype features.
Yes, you went bear barbarian for RESISTANCE TO ALL DAMAGE combined with UNCANNY DODGE to half your resisted damage. If you take 3 or less damage, you can completely negate it by halving it twice.

You also missed the actual other good multiclasses such as

Warlock3/Paladin11 (+ranged option for paladin, only relies on charisma due to shillelagh, short rest smite slots)

Warlock2/Sorcerer2+ (Two eldritch blasts a turn)

Also there are other things such as PAM being way, way better for paladin than GWM.

However, for the most part, the multiclasses aren't overpowered.

I'd say the only overpowered one is Barbarian5/Rogue15 because barbarian's later levels suck, but it's not really gamebreaking because being fucking invincible and grappling is something a moon druid can also do.

There are some RAW abuses that are overpowered, too:

Using familiar (Especially invisible ones) to use the 'help' action every turn breaks action economy for something that doesn't cost a lot (pacts aren't a big deal, and wizards essentially get find familiar as a class feature). This is actually RAI because fucking wizards.

Using nets as melee weapons turns 'disadvantage at all ranges' to 'normal attack', makes the net deal 1d4+strength damage and allow sneak attack damage and other damages, while also restraining the enemy.

Sharpshooter+GWM on crossbows in melee for maximum stupidity.