How long have you been working on your setting, how much has it changed over time and what about it has changed?

How long have you been working on your setting, how much has it changed over time and what about it has changed?

Jan 2016 to now
original concept:
>token trope world. Big bad empire of obviously evil bad guys invading good guy lands. Send in the PC's to help!
Now:
>The PC's are the last best hope for the Alliance of Men, Dwarves and Elves. The dark tide of the Beastmen Empire rolls toward the last bastions of good in the world. Dark magic has corrupted all too weak to resist. None are spared. The plague upon all men? Engineered by dark Lords of Evil. The Beastmen? Held under whip and chain by enchanted drugs. The Evil empire itself? Driven by desperation, need, and last spiteful acts of simple men in dire straights. Gray, dismal, and angry. Saddest game Ive run to date.

oddly enough, Ive received _nothing but praise_ from the players. I must be hitting the right balance between "Your actions are a ray of hope" VS "GRIMDERP'

This one setting I've been working on since I was introduced to Dungeons and Dragons when I was 13. So, nearly a decade and a half. It's changed drastically with several core iterations. It started as a few loosely designed cities based off some German-ish names and a few ideas about dwarves and elves being nearby. It later blossomed into a full world with a ten-thousand-year history, more than twenty sentient races, and actually two working -- if basic -- languages. Most of the history and many of the races were axed as I tried to spin the unique magic system for the setting out into something much comprehensive with several sub systems for different planets. It's narrowed focus and kept on the universal train as the magic system has been refined. Only a few names remain from the original days, and even those have changed as the languages they were associated have been built. It's basically completely different.

I literally just threw it out to replace it with a half drunk idea of the PCs vs evil Alexander the Great.

Wish me luck, game night is Friday.

Good luck

could be neat

Late 2014 to now. The main thing I've changed is that I moved away from the very stereotypical tropes and started adding some of the more fun ideas that I've seen across Veeky Forums and that people I know have suggested

Settings are overrated

It's the plot's bitch, meant to take shape and hold the plot's mighty cock.

Since high school so around 2011-2012.

Original Concept:
>Fantasy world but with Napoleonic tech

Now:
>The forces of good are beset from all sides by many forces, the high elves, demons, devils, foul necromancy, and even creatures from beyond the stars seek to take this world as their own. In the new world, the people prepare for revolution. Their king has cast them aside for petty gains and they will make their voices heard with lead and steel.

Currently the players are in Not!British North America and are about to uncover the big bad's plot to call upon the Lord of Betrayal and flood the world with demons and devils, as well as transport gnolls to the new world. Also Not!Britain and Not!France are going to war and made alliances with the various Not!Indian tribes.

Working on it since 2006. Gonna launch a game next spring.
Pic related.

A couple of months.

It just occurred to me that I'll need a lot more naked witches.

I just remembered I made a setting during BMT and then lost the notebook I wrote it all down in. I could probably recreate it but I just dont have the time anymore.

17 years
. a bit. mostly theres just more.

I got a multitude of projects going on at all times, some times date all the way back to high school. Most things started around 2010 though.

Almost a year, I think. It's changed a lot over the months though, from cultures copy-pasted from real life to actually reasonable cultures that would exist based on the circumstances of the world. I'm a lot happier with where it is now, but still looking to improve things further.

Original idea was Indian/Middle Eastern based, but now it's evolved into something completely different.

On and off sporadically since 2002.

Original
>A mash-up of cyberpunk setting and wuxia action

Somehow, the setting got adjusted from cyberpunk to an Evil Empire with better tech. There are a number of hidden martial arts societies whose skills are the only viable weapon against the eldritch abominations sealed under the imperial capital. Occasionally they go fight for justice and all that.

No one so far has realized that the bereaved Queen is in fact preparing to unseal the eldritch abominations.

I scrap whatever I'm working with a couple times a year, but keep track of elements I liked and fit them into new ones
I hate gargling my own shit but occasionally there's something worthwhile in there

I just started last week and I feel like I might be horribly out of my depth. I made a terrible mistake telling my players I was even planning a campaign, because now they're hype and I need results enough to play really soon or risk disappointing them and why did I decide to make my own setting completely from scratch as a first-time GM oh god I'm so fucked

deep breath
does anyone know off the top of their heads what some absolute must haves are, setting wise, before you can get a campaign off the ground?

Just think small-scale first. Start with where the campaign will start (no shit) and pencil in a few things nearby. Let the PCs' backstory give you ideas for places. Just make sure to have an interesting hook

Is that Agartha? I've been working on a setting there too. Only since ~2011 or 2012 though.

I have the basic skeleton of a plot progression, vague enough for nothing to be set in stone, but with a clear start point.
I might be able to pull this off if that's all I need for now.
is there some kind of master class I can finish in a weekend on describing shit to players? and nouns
dear god I need the means to produce nouns fuck

My rule recently has been: 5 senses
Do one visually striking thing.
THen describe the REST OF THE FUCKING SENSES
How the air tingles with cold
How the scent of rot is sickly sweet and pungent
How the copper of blood hits their mouth as they resist a spell
How the piercing wail shivers in their ears

Do people even read threads like this?

not at all, I just took premade premise of Conan meets Lankhmar meets not!Fall of the Rome era and started piling weird fantasy shit on top of it. Previously I ran similarly, except slightly forward in time, around early reneissance. Just takign random shit and building weird encounters around players, because that's what's fun, fuck worldbuilding - nobody will ever appreciate or be interested in autistic musings of a neckbeard. Just make fun shit for the NOW.

Around nine years. Halfway through I dropped pretenses of designing a setting and started writing a book.

>how much has it changed over time and what about it has changed?
A long, narrow equatorial sea splits the continent in two and names of two side characters. Everything else had been rewritten completely at least once.

>How long have you been working on your setting
Since before 4e at least.

>what about it has changed?
Oh god, so much. Each edition causes a reevaluation of current lore and things as new sources for ideas reveal themselves. Like 4e's Elemental Chaos, which solidified my distaste for clean separate elemental planes. Or dragonborn which gave me so many ideas that have now solidified into a babylonian/persian draconic empire.

Pathfinder brought neat ideas about the occult and other magics to the world. Each AP also brings so many awesome things to incorporate. Frankly, PF and its setting Golarion has formed a strong back drop to the world I was creating since it seemed to gel so well with what I already had and massively helped fill in things I was already toying with.

The latest is switching out greek/mycenaean Krynn style minotaurs for horsefolk.

Yes. Sometimes I get neat things from them.

just to make fun of people workign for almost a decade on something nobody will care about. GMing >>>>>>>> worldbuilding

2 years.
A fuckton.
Mostly just adding stuff. I have a huge boner for cultural details, festivals, and bloodlines.

Bout maybe 3 months.

Hasn't changed a whole lot outside of the races I've added.

Wanted space orcs and space dwarves so I added them.

Twelve years at this point, Hard sci-fi setting. Even made a galactic map.

Two settings, about a year of letting my mind wander during monotonous times at work. Surprisingly little has changed in either of them once I moved past the "this might be interesting" part of an idea and into the "this will be in the setting" part. Mostly just fleshing the bits out to figure out how they should fit. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I've scrapped.

At start
>crashed ark ship puts back humans a full millenia technologically.
>PCs wake up in the equivalent of a dark age on an alien world.

Now
>World is a "fly trap" for advanced civilizations, the answer to the Fermi Paradox.
>matter-forming super-science material has essentially made Alchemy a reality (think quicksilver that operates on a sub atomic level)
>PCs are the last who remember the old world, tasked with saving their species from extinction on this Venus fly trap of a world
>plays up the "sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic" trope into a nice world & homebrew mechanics.

Inspired by Pic Related, I came up with the idea of a bitter Lich who created a pocket dimension that locked souls to their bodies using silly macguffin magic called "Soul Gravity", so every dead person would come back as a willful, intelligent undead.

This manifests in some interesting ways in certain types of undead; pic related is vampires becoming less and less flesh and more and more blood, but there's still an invisible "Force" acting like a body around their veins.

There's also a special type of undead created personally by The Big Lich that don't rot, turn incredibly pale, and gain a hive-mind that has evolved into true free-will over time.

>evil Alexander the Great
So... Alexander the Great?

Be sure to fit not!ThessalonikeOfMacedon into a sea segment somewhere.

Two and a half years. It's a living campaign that was ceated by building while the campaign goes on.
>how much has it changed over time
Loads
>what about it has changed?
stuff

"The trouble with most of us is that we'd rather be ruined by praise, than saved by criticism."
-Norman Vincent Peale

Three years

Went from a prehistoric dwarves vs giants setting to an industrial age magic vs tech era where the gods are largely uninterested in mundane matters, too busy maintaining reality to bother with mortals.

About a year. Not much has changed because it is mostly a background drop to the game.

Also post more naked witches.

Depends on your definition. It started in 2007, when I started to consider how I'd like a setting's magic system to function. After that, I created a world, cribbed a ton of shit from Warhammer, made a ton of "new" content just to be different, and turned it into a generic fantasy setting.

Somewhere in the middle of it all, I started considering what a setting would be like if you based the fluff off of the mechanics instead of making a poor attempt at the opposite. Nowadays it's basically a late renaissance European wuxia setting. All to enable my favourite fantasy tropes to work in conjunction.

Agreed with this user, that is one qt witch. I don't have many witches, or naked chicks on me, but have another qt redhead

My setting just turned 9 months old. It started as an effort from a group of friends to just build a setting as a writing exercise. We started with a shitty hexgrid map, and I promptly took over most of the northern region.

Needless to say, I'm sort of the only one working on it at this point. They're a civilization comprised of a diverse group of your standard fantasy english/frenchmen, standard fantasy scots/irish and standard fantasy eskimo/buhddist monks. The english/french live in the slightly warmer more hospitable territories, the scots/irish guard them, and inhabit a few self sufficent holds further north of that, and the monks scout out ahead and basically push the limits of their civilization as whole. Everybody living there needs to posses an immense amount of willpower to survive in harsh climate due to it also being home to a race of fae who are fond of dominating the minds of mortals and are presently attempting to stomp out the civilization that has taken root there.

I'm probably rambling, but I've been enjoying the process. Since I'm sort of on my own now I might start writing up a few other countries to go along with it.

2013 pirate world, working on it off and on.

Been working at mine for probably ten years now.

First iteration was a justification for my shitty mary sue naruto OC. No joke.

Years later it was a setting for my high school d&d campaign.

Now I'm working on using it for a novel, but I've hit a roadblock. Expanding the setting into multiple continents has forced me to try and fabricate a thousand-year world history that isn't just a shallow analogy for real world history.

I feel like the strongest part of my setting is the sort of backwards progression through the history of fantasy literature that its plot follows. From urban fantasy, to New Age, to pulp adventure, swords and sorcery, all the way back to classical myth.

I'm using the same setting since I've started GMing in 2006, so it's over a decade. I wouldn't call it "working", it was simply evolutionary collection of all the trivia created for it over the time rather than full-on effort to create things.

Original concept:
>Disposable, adventure-friendly setting for some basic scenarios
Now
>A decade of world-building worth, done by and for countless groups, with different time periods and locations used. so the setting itself has a semi-reactive history based on prior events.
Done with it stuff from antiquity-like games to cyberpunk.

>All that fur and heavy clothing
>Sudden corset
Ask Napoleon how wearing tight clothes worked for him and his army in Russia

On and off for maybe four years I think.

It started as a simple brainstorm experiment so I could practice drawing some cool environments and develloped as I studied more psychology, cinema and politics.

>Original Concept: Standard Scifi setting with humans and aliens and whatnot. Inspired by Dune, Homeworld and Star Wars with massive ships and cool things.

>Now: Setting is contained inside the crust of a world that imploded. It's a cross between The Matrix (Real world scenes), Metro 2033, Hardware Shipbreakers and LOW. The world revolves around this massive intricate system of city-states and stations that live inside the planet and vie for power and resources.

>The Players are members of daredevil crews who go around the world dismantling wrecks, ruins and adventuring. I went with a full transhumanist vibe where humans don't exist as we know them but are various sorts of mutants.

Since it's an exercice in design I'm mostly toying around with concepts, technologies, landscapes and overall "rule of cool". Nothing really serious has come of it, but I did run 2 campaigns of a first TTRPG draft.

It's Elysium. It's not a hollow earth, but a pocket universe with no planet nor star nor night.

I wanted create a fresh-out setting, exploring new themes and concepts seldom explored before.

Some info about the Elysium:

>Volume: estimated at 8.16x10E40km3.
>Habitable Area: estimated at 7.68x10E11km2.
>Population (Human?): estimated at 3.37x10E12.

Originally a D6 system for fighting zombies in a Sci-fi winter apocalypse inspired by a friend who I was helping make his own based on Dark Heresy. However I lost interested once his setting simply became a direct rip-off of another game.

Now it's a Sci-fi apocalyptic world of knights reclaiming the old world in a Celtic-Christian renaissance trapped in the great walls of Borges.

Essentially now it's about being members of a clan, leading expeditions into the sub-terrain for gold and glory. A cross-breed pf KoW skirmish gaming and role-playing nobles in this new age.

I started working on the basics of my setting when I was 16. I'm 25 now so 9 years now.

> how much has it changed over time and what about it has changed?

Bloody everything. Early on it was mostly me indulging in my fetish for theology and history. Over the years I've refined a lot of the metaphysics to make it more coherent.

Two settings. One is a pipe-dream regarding a gaming set-up, the other I lost confidence in, even though the brief couple of games, my group liked it a lot.
>First setting.
Post-Apocalyptic Earth, where Demons are mythlogical creatures created by the Gods, but they were banished to Hell/Purgatory when one God pulled That Guy style Min-Maxing and became the only God on Earth.
>Guess who
Humans find out that shit was fucked and cast a ritual to try and correct things, transporting 'Demons' to Earth and fusing Hell/Purgatory together. YHWH get's pissy cause he doesn't want to give up his toys, and uses the "First Born of Egypt" plague on all of Earth, without the 'first born' limitation. In a game sense, the players would wake up in a world where the human population has been reduced to 1000> and dealing with the numerous kinds of demons and their cultures...along with the fact that they are slowly becoming demons themselves.

>Setting 2.
The Dragon-hating cult called a crusade on all dragons 1000 years ago and succeeded, becoming the not-Catholic Church. Story begins when a little country declares rebellion against said church, which is ridiculous as it hasn't happened since they became the dominant religion. Players would be church officials/adventurers/mercenaries/WHATEVER who are looking to find out what got this country's panties in a twist, and MAYBE end up a part of a Dragon Age: Origins style army of all sorts of races who are saying "FUCK YOU" to the not-Catholics.

Best part for me, making jokes about how the stained glass windows in the temples show scenes of Dragon's being all evil, but after 1000 years of bullshit, the Church has some details that are..."off"
>Blackdragon with a horde of sapphires, watching it's dwarven slaves toil in the underground mine it lives in.
Stuff like that to watch the experienced players go, "No...that...that's not how that works..."

I have three.

One is finished, Limbo City, afterlife for people who can't get into Heaven or Hell, bunch of gangs of demons and a police department of angels. Really simple.

The other two are still really, really in development.

8 years. Began as D&D steampunk for my small tabletop gaming group, became fantasy colonialism and piracy since I don't game anymore but continue to write.

Had the original concept as a kid, have been running it close to three years now
>Started as a shitty rip of a RPG I played as a kid
>Party is now attempting to become Gods while fighting off multi-dimensional horrors. They're currently stuck in the past but are going to go fight a Primordial Vampire who is also Adam just for a ticket back home where a former party member is currently fighting the majority of the world

It's not even an Exalted campaign

Since... 2008. Not even joking, I think I need to stop making iterations. I'm at my 9th and it STILL doesn't please me enough.

It has been on backburner for 5 or 6 months. I sporadically wrote it in bouts of inspiration.

Original concept, very vague:
>A world in which the ocean is more dependable than the solid ground.
Then I added, and added, and added more shit to that - I'm still in the thick of it.

Now it is a setting chock-full of magical anomalies and warp zones, with the bulk of the action happening on and around great underground ocean and the stable anomaly zones (think Exalted demesnes). It's got pirate-merchants not!drow noble republics serving perso-semitic not!dwarf theocracy as explorers and trade fleet, four-armed albino not!draconids in the middle of being colonised by the drow, merfolk and fishmen kingdoms duking it out far below the ships, earth suddenly spewing out abberant monsters only for them to fall down into the ocean and drown, humans as exotic arctic dwellers from the unknowable surface world, bizzare empire of centaur kelpies threatening to destroy the sea trade, shape-shifting not!chaos warbands striking out of the shadows to kidnap and sacrifice people in great pyres, alchemists constantly perfecting their craft and teachings with newly discovered wondrous creatures and plants from the ocean and anomalies - and a whole lot of other shit that I wish I stopped dreaming up and trying to add into this mess.

Among the things I've changed - I had to ditch the idea of drow having only the tech that XII vikings had since it would make ship-to-ship combats very boring. Instead I returned to more-or-less typical d&d anachronisms, but with a handful of ridiculous fantasy WWI navy ships pulled by whales. Also from using only one type of domestic creatures and having only one agricultured plant to different staples based on what anomalies they live in / what magical creatures they use.

Oh, and all of that I wrote instead of focusing on a relatively small module inspired by Alexandrian.

Having read all that I wrote so far I can only say that I'm a fucking crazy ADD autist.

When I started there were 3 nations, then 5, and it stayed at 7 for the longest time. Now its up to 11 nations, with several of those nations having internal factions ranging from a tribal clans that formed a confederation to a league of city states.

I've been actually working on my setting for about 6 years, but I've had the main ideas for three of the main nations since for close to 10.

Originally it started off as bog standard fantasy with elves and dwarfs and whatnot, all heavily informed by teenage angst. It was unnecessarily grim and gritty and all around awful. Over time it's gone through all sorts of iterations. At one point it had all sorts of sufficiently advanced technology and eldritch monstrosities running around, and eventually I moved the tech stuff to my Conan-esque setting, kept the eldritch monsters but shoved them to the background, and cut the non-human races. I also tried to include as many different nations as possible when I started (highest coubnt was 30) but eventually chiseled it down to a managable 12 or so, with more on the chopping block.

Basically, I realized that my players would always be less into my settings than I was and started making settings for my players instead of myself.

>first conception: a fantasy setting in the form of a game of global King of the Hill, where whatever race controls the giant mountain at the center of the map gets powerful magic and control over destiny
>somewhere along the line, added the idea that humans are not the dominant race and added locathah, sasquatches, and china-flavored goblinoids as playable races
>currently it's all yuan-ti all the time, as the players have gotten entrenched in that part of the map
>the mountain of destiny has been controlled by a giant beholder for the whole campaign, things have gradually been getting worse, and players have just been trying to ignore it

>Basically, I realized that my players would always be less into my settings than I was and started making settings for my players instead of myself.
I know the pain

This is cool. Do you have a pastebin or something?

So you didn't say pic unrelated. Can we assume you are running a world with pantsless sorcery? because I can dig it.

Mine's about two years old. Been running a campaign there for most of it.

It's changed significantly, but that was part of the plan. All my players were newbies, I was trying to introduce them to gaming in general. So I've been running a classic, high-adventure, save-the-world-from-the-evil-god type game. Players have been getting to make big decisions about political alliances and such, reshaping the world.

Next session is going to be the last. If they succeed, they'll kill the evil primordial god of time and magic, and if they so choose become gods themselves. They'll certainly change the setting forever.

Next game: same world, 300 years later. Depending on what decisions they make while holding divine power, it could be wildly different. Hell, it's probably going to be a different game system. That's what happens when you alter the fundamental forces of reality!

Darius III, we all know that's you. Sorry you totally fucked up in almost every way you could have and handed Alexander your empire, but it's time to move on.

Not a single minute
>How much has it changed over time
More named places that my players keep listed in their notes and I don't even recall next week
>what about it has changed
It grows bigger with each game

I don't care. I can't force myself to care anymore about any setting, because I don't have any real group to GM for and the people I'm playing with aren't exactly bright, so I don't feel any need to care or provide anything.

Does it mean I'm burned out or it can be just the current group? I don't remember being this bitter about GMing with other groups.

Is this finally the progressive rock setting I've been waiting for?

May be the current group. Try playing something nonsensical as a player.

Frankly that works is still pretty important. I'm throwing my players into a sigil vs spelljammer setting I've been working with off and on for close to ten years now. It's a huge cosmological power struggle mess with a solid dozen factions locked with their hands around each other's throats as they wrestle for supremacy, and the extent of my player's involvement is mostly trying to guess how long it'll be before the quest dispenser tries to backstab them.

But all that worldbuilding? it's great for justifying why the current guy wants them dead. No matter what happens I generally will have a good in-universe reason for the wheels coming off. Or going back on, if the party awesomes their way through properly.

Really now? It seems that more efficient way is to have a bog standart and wing it. It only becomes a problem if your setting is NOT standart - otherwise, all conventions are there, expectations are set, your players probably wont get an urge to look at something too closely.

Working on it since about 2003, aged 11.

>Original concept
Lord of the Rings rip off. I mean, I was 11.

>Current concept
Are you kidding me? Thirteen years of working on this thing, I have no idea how to sum this thing up anymore. It's medieval/renaissance fantasy with science fiction elements. I also like to add horror here and there.

T I T S
I
T
S

So it went from generic fantasy to generic Warhammer fantasy?

For an upcoming 40k campaign, working on it the last few months off and on, I started off with a post Gulf Crusade Imperial World being pulled apart by covert actions by Imperial and Tau agents. Each victory for either side would build towards a "total war" meter that would change the game type from Kill-team to full blown 40k.

Now as my mates don't want to play Kill-team since they've such large armies, it's been bumped up to a Vietnam inspired conflict over a border system between the Tau & Imperium, with Orks arriving via meteor strike, Dark Angels chasing the Fallen and killing everyone in between, and Dark Eldar playing both sides and driving the conflict up to 11. It fun to embrace the silliness of 40k sometimes.

I've recycled most of

I've yet to complete a setting. Tend to go through bouts where I go hard at fleshing them out only to shelve them for long periods of time before working on them more later.

My most complete one is probably a modern day superhero setting where history starts to significantly diverge during WWI.
Short list of differences: Russia forms a provincial council government under Czar Nicolas II, the League of Nations managed to survive and gain some real teeth to make other nations fall in line, some events of WWII happened but it never really managed to become a "world war" due to the emergence of atlanteans across the ocean and a few lakes (blue skinned, scaled, fish people) as well as a few attempted demonic invasions in France and Germany(which has been mostly covered-up by the League of Nations).

Thinking of having the Catholic Church be subcontracted by the League of Nations as demon specialists now...

Bretty cool. Add in clunky mecha and I'd play something in the 30ies.

What's today, Wednesday? So that would be... 4 days. And it has changed in the sense that I have literally put quadruple the thought into it since Sunday.

I've worked on a lot of settings, though. I work on homebrew settings hand in hand with homebrew systems. Technically, you could say I started my first setting/system when I was 6, but setting wise it was crazy kitchen sink fantasy with way too many races and subraces to possibly fit in one world (literally 2 out of 100+ were remotely original), and rules wise it was super bloated and probably didn't even work. I sort of continued from that, but I eventually scrapped every race but Humans and one original race (which got redisgned after WoW added Dranei that looked exactly like them), and the system work I had was lost with a dying computer, like, 4 computers ago, not that it was likely to be salvageable work, anyway. So, 16 years later and all I have from back then is a NAME for a race.

I've been trying to work on it for a while. A year or two.

It's mostly been a lot of research into the technology of the late 17th, full 18th, and very early 19th centuries because I'd like for it to take place in a period that mirrors those (the more advanced parts of the world being the most similar with the later period) but I find myself stuck on a few things. Magic is more Mythos-inspired, of a fashion that is extremely dangerous if even the faintest mistake is made, with cults and conspiracies trying to survive in the shadows; supernatural creatures are more akin to things that go bump in the night and the occasional exceptionally-rare fantastical beast as opposed to elves, dwarves, and dragons flying across the sky.

I'm having a hard time finding a map that I actually like; I'm having a hard time coming up with factions as I want it to feel more like an internally consistent world/sandbox (not that I plan on running games that way unless the party specifically asks for one), and in doing so I require enough factional vacuum to allow for things like adventurers and mercenaries to go alongside the intrigue and larger-scale Imperial warfare of the inspired periods; and I also am having a hard time coming up with a consistent and believable way of maintaining how the technology can stagnate for a little while longer than it did in our own world (I'd prefer to do it without handwaving, but am not afraid to do so).

Obviously I have a lot of work to do. Any suggestions (especially map-wise) would certainly be appreciated.

I have a bunch of setting ideas, none of which I've actually managed to flesh out to the point that I feel ready to run a game in it yet. I'm a perpetual putterer when it comes to these things.

The one I've been tinkering with the longest, I first started on around early 2011. The original concept was basically just "my personal OC donut steel fantasy kitchen sink". By now, it's become more strongly focused on a classical elements theme than simply "kitchen sink" (and said theme itself has undergone a major revision since it was first implemented, which necessitated some tweaks to things based on it), with a whole historical arc detailing how the current dominant races trace back to the superpower races that once ruled the world before they wiped themselves out in a magical catastrophe. The main things I still want to work on are the gods/religion, and the geography.

>Try playing as a player
And who would GM?

September 2016 to now.

Started out as a combination of DOOM, KSBD, and Gundam.

Now its Revelation Space in/on the space!Carribean/Silk Road mixed in with Dishonored, while still keeping some bits of DOOM and KSBD (There's angels/devils, but their Utility Fogs housing AI designed by ancient Super-AIs, who also left behind a shitton of mega structures, and may or may not be returning).

It changed from a valley filled with war refugees to magical Australia.

hey, at least you're honest about being so autistic you feel the need to go into threads just to tell people to stop liking what you don't like. Most shitposters try to hide their short comings behind a shield of self-righteous indignation so I kind of respect your forthrightness in an odd way.

For about a month. I keep losing energy

its currently gothic not!eastern europe with undead being an actual thing, depending on the area either being common knowledge or a secret kept tightly controlled by a monolithic orthodox church

the general idea for the player characters is that they're undead of various kinds in servitude to the church in a bit of a BPRD setup, with the supposed reward being salvation from hell, on account of being accursed souls and all
a whole bunch of the inspiration is the imagery in metal, particularly some of the newer Powerwolf albums

The setting started as a cyberpunk world with the corporations in decline.

4 years later it's now a setting in the aftermath of a cyberpunk future. Corporate power has been reduced to isolated city-states and the territory beyond the city-states verges on Mad Max territory. Global warming has decimated the tropical and subtropical climates, forcing migrations towards the poles on all continents and creating giant megacities where the refugees settled. Near the equator humans modified to survive extreme temperatures live in isolation from both corporations and bandits. Genetically engineered biomonsters are slowly emerging from abandoned research facilities.

Mine's literally mutated like 2-5 times now. It's too complicated to sum up easily, unless people are interested.

I would forsake my vows and fall to fuck that witch.

What's the pitch?

Thanks for the compliment my fellow elegan/tg/entleman.

I'm hesitant to add mechs. If I did though the 30s ones would clunky and steam powered ala the video-game Ironclad Tactics while the modern ones would be 10 ft tall, a bit more super robot like, and probably owned almost exclusively by the League of Nations for handling big threats.

I tend to involve my players in the world building process. I write down my stuff and act as an editor of their contributions then stitch everything together in a (hopefully) coherent way.

Helps get them involved/invested, I don't have to bother writing about things I didn't plan on fleshing out, and I get to learn what the players are looking for in a game.

Sounds pretty rad. I'm curious about your setting. Got any more juicy details to divulge?

i want it too

From this morning, about two hours ago.

Involving a low nobility merchant hiring a band of adventurers to explore, map, colonize, and possibly conquer Dinosaur Island (I need a better name than Dinosaur Island).

I'm thinking barbarian elves and halfling dinosaur calvary. What else?

I dm this way too.

It started off as an excuse to mix faction ideas thay didn't together in the settings we had. After 3 or 4 years it has a full panthion, a history of elves dwar es and humans as a magic trinity of elder races until liches fucked over magic spreadong the races, elves got killed by a fae coup filling elven forests with reliving plantmenthings, and dwarves are now Egyptians with goblin slaves who avoid underground because its full of undead dwarves. During their fall a half troll not!holy roman empire got into power by trolling demons. It was around year 2 i gave up on the idea of running a game in it and now im trying to write a book in it.

>I need a better name than dinosaur island

You really don't

Dec 2013 to now on and off.
Originally started because a friend was making a radio play and I though cities named New "Insert Biblical Thing Here" sounded cool. Now it's deadlands meets Call of Cthulhu with a extra helping of Wild Wild West and Borderlands for flavor.

>In the West, past the gates of Sunholme and through the edges of the Crematori Desert the dead walk. All of the dead in fact. While in the West, after any creature's death they will eventually reanimate no matter the state of their body with vague memories of their prior existence. Naturally, the rest of the world finds this abhorrent and terrifying. The Waste is then a dumping ground for criminals, madmen, and brave souls willing to venture into the land of the dead and make their fortune.

I've been wanting to run a game of it forever, but haven't found the right combination of system and plot. Tried writing out my ideas for the overarching story for NaNoWriMo last year, but life got in the way and it remains unfinished.

Fantasy: Three years now. Not much, because I'm still building. And not a lot.

Near-future cyberpunk: Well over a decade now. A lot. Pretty much everything, especially since I was left in charge of it when the previous forum RP disbanded and I formed a new one.

I kept telling myself that too.

If you can't explain the basic premise of your setting in 5 sentences or less, then it's over-engineered shit.