Tfw you free your mind from the shackles of muh historical accuracy autism and learn to appreciate the aesthetics of...

>tfw you free your mind from the shackles of muh historical accuracy autism and learn to appreciate the aesthetics of fantasy design

My God, is it liberating.

As long as this is a 'you do you' post and not a 'aesthetics a best'

Some people like accuracy the way you like aesthetics

Me? I'm not satisfied unless all my knights are mounted upon enormous but realistically rendered cocks

I prefer armor that looks protective while retaining a distinctly fantastical look for the character wearing it.

Stuff like EVERYTHING FROM THE DARK SOULS SERIES and the better suits in Witcher 3 are great in this regard.

I don't care much for historical accuracy, but I'm not also the kind of guy to approve of everything because "muh fantasy". My measuring stick is mostly this: would someone want or need to wear this?

This is why I dislike bikini chainmail but am much more lenient to equally scantily clad barbarians and mages.

Scrawlings of armor from the 16th century probably had massive codpieces

>Me? I'm not satisfied unless all my knights are mounted upon enormous but realistically rendered cocks
I don't like the Final Fantasy aesthetic too much, but you do you.

Warhammer does a good job of finding a balance between form and function with a lot of feasible designs that are just fantastically ornate.

Empire particularly.

That shield is making me have a special feeling in my sweatpants.

that is thought to be because of syphillus causing their dicks to swell

Something's causing my dick to swell too, and it ain't syphilis.

>Her face when she sees your codpiece

Something something Butterfly set.

Bu´t yeah, as long as there is a reasonable amount of sense in a design, I don't mind.

I've never actually seen distressingly unfeasible armor outside of the cartoon armor you'd find in stylized games

S-Shut up, Corrin.

I don't know realism would be effortless.

As long as it looks actually protective I don't particularly care. The only stuff that really bugs me is when self-proclaimed 'knights' in a piece of fiction walk around in a set of armor that barely even covers their vitals. Eastern stuff can be really bad about this; I've seen several pictures where combatants walk around with their midsections just completely bare but they still bother to wear shin and armguards for some reason.

>giant ass mega wtf stupid ornate bronze head eagle helmet that you would bar,y be able to see out of.
>stupid ass spiky sun shield.
>swirly sword.
>Ornate shoulder guards.
>Battle cape.
>those gloves.
>those boot spikes.

Fk off user.

'Knight' doesn't mean 'guy in plate armour' though.

It's a title that has nothing to do with what you wear. Most knights could just afford better equipment than most peasants.

This t b h.

I have a special fondness for armor that bleds historical and fantasy but isn't just using medieval plate armor but instead the sorts of armor that would benefit adventurers and their active, always-on-the-move lifestyle more. I've always been a fan of roman-esque fantasy armors because really. If it works for an entire legion of professional soldiers who march across the known world to enforce their empire's laws on natives, it'll work great for adventures who similarly travel across the world to beat up natives and take their shit.

>EVERYTHING FROM THE DARK SOULS SERIES
Hell, yes

>boot spikes
Do you mean the metal stuff that's laid against the boot for design or are you complaining about spurs?

>tfw I like Final Fantasy aesthetic but my imagination only works towards realism.

Fuck. My. Life.

>swirly sword
While stretching it out into a sword and making it more western with the hilt, the "swirly sword" has a RL basis and is a weapon that has centuries of history, if not more.

well if you carry a big shield, you don't need that much to cover your belly, while you need to cover what's stick out, head-arms-legs
but i see what you mean

Ornstein is a triumph of fantasy armor design.

In all the contortions that could happen during a battle, that just makes me think he's going to stab himself on one of those spikes.

It's a lot less spiky in-game, and the spiky bits that are present don't get close to any points of movement.

>any points of movement
any expected* points of movement

Or maybe the extremely European looking guy's wavy bladed greatsword was inspired by a European wavy bladed greatsword instead of something from a different culture halfway to the other side of the planet?

THIS
T
H
I
S

If you're a hedgeknight and only expect to fight duels or brawls, covering your shins and forearms can be more than enough because you can use your limbs to parry slashes.

When people start shooting at you, you're fucked, though.

that's called flamberge

100% on point my man
armour is a part of the character design and setting design, and therefore should reflect that, complaints against armour should be levied when it's out of place

>user claims it's fantastically ornate
>point out its fantastically ornate elements

Wew lad.

>Metal masks/face-coverings of any kind
Gives me fucking LIFE

There are only two places metal masks work really well; a single named character who just really loves his job, or an experienced yet ultimately disposable mook (like the Immortals from 300.)

Worth noting here that lorica segmentata was only worn for a small portion of the Empire's existence; lorica hamata was the much more common and longer-lasting choice.

Still looks fucking sexy, for the record.

For some reason, I am unable to play a fantasy character who doesn't wear either a mask or a face-concealing helmet. It's just SO GOOD.

>Shitstein and Smugly
Why did you pick one of the few ugly designs?

>Dat hunched scarf/neckwrap
>The simple but tasteful golden bracelets/anklets
>The Star Platinum mane
>The leather and scale skirt
>The way his hand shakes right before he plunges his swordspear into his dying dragon buddy ; ~;
Makes sense that his protege would be so fucking stylish

You can use them to invoke dehumanization in any situation ( also uniformity depending on the design). Tonally similar to gas masks but without the utility.

A E S T H E T I C

UWOTM8

>military style knight

MASS BONER

I am all over weird Knight looks

>Not deflecting bullets off your sword.

Do you even fantasy?

While true, the concept is similar. Lighter armor, easily donned by a single soldier and capable of being worn for long marches. It's prime adventurer armor and it's a shame there's not more "adventurer" art using similar. It seems to tend towards cloth/leather (skimpy or otherwise) or full blown plate.

I have to admit, I really dig this mesh of fantasy and modern(ish) military. Makes me think of something like a fantasy WW1.

>them two sharing looks knowin' the ass in the middle is gonna get iced on his first day he keep guffawin' like that

REMOVE DRAGONS
REMOVE SNAKE MEN
REMOVE TRAITORS

Muh dick

There is nothing more GOAT than black armour trimmed in gold. Absolute fucking patrician.

Regardless of whether it's realistic or not, I'm a fan of hulking armor and dark knight styles.

>There is nothing more GOAT than black armour trimmed in gold. Absolute fucking patrician.

Oh?

I have no armored Pacha for you in return. But I can offer this.

Always happy to help a man with great taste.

Tabards over plate is great too and highly underrated.

I know, right? It adds something classy to the ensemble. And it allows you to tear it off when shit gets real.

>mace-wielding Knight of Cards

I'M EDGING HARD HERE DON'T STOP

Would love to see some more this, but the medals can be enchanted.

this dog has no chin

That guy is fucking fat, or that plate armor is just plain wrong.

It's the padded jacket he's wearing underneath.

Literally nobody did that. Why the fuck would you do that.

>nobody did that
>what is a doublet

He could just be jacked

Aesthetic has it's place but so does realistic. If I want to see a scruffy warrior who makes 1 copper a week punching rats then I want realistically shitty chainmail on him. If I see Sir Paladromus Coriander IV of Elystria, knight commander of the Order of Angelus Knights, I want to see an overly elaborate white and gold armor shining so bright with pointy bits and lion/eagle motifs that my eyes start to hurt.

Doublet is virtually skintight and very, very thin but made out of tough stuff. It is in no way comparable to a motherfucking gambeson, which contrady to popular belief was NOT commonly worn under armor because of the whole "I don't want to die of heat stroke" issue. Maille and plate typically was worn without a gambeson on, because most of the time you didn't actually need it anyway with plate armor.

Plate armor is basically a second skin. It's actually the thin anime-esque armors that closely hug the body that get it more right than the giant bulky suits common in fantasy. The only exception should be the breastplate and plackart, which should be sloped and globe-shaped so it can collapse without also collapsing your chest.

realism can be part of a setting's aesthetic

I just care that it looks practical and realistic, so post stuff like that

Honestly, no matter what aesthetic an armor set is going for, if it comes with a mask then I'm completely on-board with that shit.

source

Armor with animal-styled helmets get my dick ROCK HARD.

big weapons
i
g

w
e
a
p
o
n
s

my gf plans on dressing up as pyramid head, I might be in for something weird

Any love in this thread for the onion knights?

Is it actually possible to effectively block a strike like that without having your sword knocked out of your hand? It seems like a really awkward position.

Berserk was a fucking GOLDMINE for that shit, especially when Griffith's apostle army gets in on the fun.

Not to mention everything to do with the skullknight. If liking skull/skeleton motifs in armor makes me an edgelord, than an edgelord I'll be.

sourse

One of the Berserk movies. The TV series are both much lower quality. If you want to watch them, the old one is a slideshow with fantastic stills and the new one is CGI garbage that improves towards the end but is still shit.

The armor designs for Berserk in general are amazing. Miura has an attention to detail that I wish all artists had.

The Skull Knight from Berserk. More specifically, the gif is from the Egg of the King three-part series.

What I love about Miura's armor-design is similar to what I like about *Souls stuff is that you can tell that despite the stylisation and unique looks of each suit of armor, Miura clearly did his research on how plate armor works and struck a nice balance between cool looking and grounded/practical design.

Which is another reason among many that I'm not fond of the 2016 series in that just about all the non-named knights all use the same model. At least in Egg of the King they went out their way to give variation for the mooks.

>not posting the GOAT

YES YES YES

Can we get some defiant/dying knights?

Well being that syphilis is thought to have reached Europe because of contact with the Native Americans (in the same way they caught smallpox) that seems less than true

Post more Berserk armor plox.

Also Chaos Warriors best Warriors.

A relevant image

This is pretty much the reason I think boob plate would be feasible in a fantasy setting with women in the military. Not ubiquitously but some.

The second best NPC in Dark Souls? Of course we still love him!