The god of Death has declared war on the Mage's College

>The god of Death has declared war on the Mage's College
>Hundreds of years ago they performed absolutely abhorrent war crimes
>They were researching necromancy and lich-dom
>This has been outlawed by Death and the rest of the gods generally agree lichdom is a no-go
>Due to recent [plot events], thousands of people died and he's finally able to make his move
>[plot] be damned, Death is declaring war on the god of Magic and his minions

>>Kicker : the party paladin is a paladin of Death
>>Kicker : the god of Magic let the [plot events] happen because it let him seize an ancient artifact

>playing a Paladin of Death.
>our Cleric of Magic is my IRL GF.
>But plot doesn't sound familiar.
... Ryan?

no

There are no females at my table

>tfw your BBEG is a Lich who's been around so long he's started planting the seeds for adventurer parties to crop up purely as a hobby
>gets really excited when the party shows up because he actually didn't set this up, so he has only a basic idea what to expect
>is genuinely okay with the possibility of them actually destroying him, he's set things up for the eventuality, but they still need to earn it
>"They've found the [important plot element]? They have the support of the elves? They're rallying the neighboring countries and building an army to face my legions of the dead in the field in a battle that shall echo through the ages? Fuck yeah, that's great news! Oh calm down faithful lieutenant, it's all part of the plan. It's just the plan has allowances for me dying in an epic confrontation with the forces of good. It's gonna be great!"

Y'know user, that sounds real Nito

I want to imagine the lich is actually a Bard, if not by class then just as a hobby.

When he isn't being an evil undead overlord he goes around disguised as a normal person, telling the tales of the heroes who opposed him, just for fun.

It might be because you call them females.

You mean women? What kind of an autist calls them females?

You're a great deal closer to the mark than you think.

He's pretty much demi-god status at this point, and is capable of running two or three "sub-phylacteries" in tandem. The bodies tied to the sub-phylacteries are usually only around lvl 3-5 in terms of player level, and he can multiclass them. The party thinks he's been ruling for 700 years, but it's actually more like 8000. Once a heroic type vanquishes him in combat, they're usually killed by his followers fairly soon after, dying a heroic death having saved the land, only for him to res back at his Prime Phylactery in a very secret location, and come foward as the Lich's "protege" and "inherit" the empire. The party has recently figured out that he has a sub-phylactery network, and are kind of shitting their pants about it. The idea is to try and capture one of the Subs so they can use it in a ritual to trace his soul back to the Prime and destroy it once and for all. The Lich is aware of this plan is totally cool with that. He's actually interacted with them several times in even weaker thrall bodies that don't have a phylactery (just a really decent taxidermy and glamour job) and generally gotten along with them.

I'm surprised this didn't catch more people's imaginations

I'm at work, can't write up all the fun stuff this could get into.

>females
women, user

I'm in college, most of them don't have the maturity to be called women, some days I wonder if I should call them girls or toddlers. speaking of specific girls I know

I can't help but think that Death wouldn't give a hoot about necromancy and lich-dom unless the process involves chaining the souls of the deceased.

Lich-dom would be OK since everything dies at some point, nothing lives for eternity.

>Death doesn't care about people meddling in his domain
>Death doesn't despise people trying to cheat him
>Death doesn't care about the ramifications of the lichification ritual
What kind of shit setting are you playing in?

>Death doesn't mind souls not coming to them properly
>Death doesn't mind assholes taking away his corpses and shackling souls to them that should rightfully be theirs.
you w0t m8?

Death has been there since the first cell in the setting sprang up an will be there when the last life dies..

He's in there for the long term, what does he care of somebody lives a century or millenia longer? He comes for everyone eventually,

Oh yeah, that he would have a problem with. Somebody keeping innocent souls from the afterlfie. This depends on the setting thou and how the necromancy works.

In some settings necromancers just use ~magic~ to make the corpse move and the soul has moved on regardless.

m8... It was a given that Death was pissed off over the necromancy.

If someone poses a hypothetical, you accept the conditions of the hypothetical and build forward, you don't reject the premise.

How new are you? You are the problem with Veeky Forums

No, you are the problem with Veeky Forums because you think you know what the problem with Veeky Forums is.

So what exactly makes the Lich a villain

>implying all villains have to be mustache twirling psychopaths

Women or girls, both falling under the category female.
It's been part of common parlance for decades, why is it suddenly weird to use it?
I can see people inventing a grievance in order to have something to attack others over but this is too random even for that.