Valerian/Sci-fi action-adventure RPG?

I'm looking for an RPG that can handle an adventure/sci-fi game with a similar feel to Valerian Flash Gordon, and Star Wars. Something that won't get bogged down in long combats and doesn't discourage people from taking crazy, heroic risks to get themselves out of tight spots. I'm curious to see what's out there, as most of my experience is with D&D. And D&D doesn't really work with what I'm looking for.

Other urls found in this thread:

docslide.us/documents/the-metabarons-quick-start-up-rules.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If your doing space battles, I'd suggest Mecton Zeta. It's really rules light and has great ship/mech creation rules. The class system sucks, and leveling up is silly, but it's really dynamic and fun.

I really can't stress how good the space combat is though. Even if you use a different system for the RPG elements, I'd still suggest reading Mecton Zeta for stuff.

I use Traveller for most SF stuff, but for that, you'd be better off with something less gritty. Maybe Greg Stolze's inSpaaace!

I'll try and check out "inSpaaace!" Thanks for the suggestion.

I feel like Mektzon Zeta isn't really "rules light." It may be that way in practice, but looking over the rules it seems pretty crunchy.

If you're comfortable enough to assemble a FATE hack, it might work well. Aspects do seem to be very important in Valerian/Jodorowsky style sci-fi.

I've heard mixed things about FATE. But that does seem to be more in line with what I'm looking for. Since it looks pretty light and uncomplicated.

Like anything else, some people love it, some people hate it. But it does work, and it lends itself to very quick game design.

I mean, if one of your characters has the Aspect "Methane-Breathing Slug in a Suit" or "Pangalactic Gigolo" it makes design a lot easier. You don't need to build a custom class to define what a "Pangalactic Gigolo" can do - it's built right into the name and the description.

For Valerian, I think any game with decent gunfight would do. The sci-fi and time travel elements are diverse and handwaved for the most part, so you don't really need rules for it. (Just don't give them a Bluxte Transmutator)

Star Wars by FFG would probably be very good for it, but I'm reluctant to recommend it, with its special dice, useless classes and mess of a talent tree.

>Jodorowsky
There's a Metabarons rpg published by WEG in the states, using the D6 system. I've heard very good things about it.

Here are the quikstart rules for Metabarons:

docslide.us/documents/the-metabarons-quick-start-up-rules.html

Awesome, thanks for the rules. I'm looking over the pdf right now.

verdict?

Oooh, neat. Now where are the meta-incest tables?

We'd need a generator

>As you lay down with her, you realize she's the [soul] of your [mother] inside the [time-travelling] body of [your genderbendered clone].
>Ah ah, joke's on you, I'm actually the [psychic projection] of my [father] from [an alternative reality]
>Wait, that doesn't make it better...
>METABARONS - THE ROLE PLAYING GAME

I like it. It's not anything too crazy/out of the ordinary. But I think it would suit what I'm trying to go for. And the setting seems pretty cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM

Why wasn't I told about this before?

what the fuck did I just read?

Valerian had a Paranoia-episode about an alien and a woman who really really really liked strategy games.

Alejandro Jodorowsky.

That is all.

FUND IT

Why is she a blonde now?

>"I affirm that next to the soul the most beautiful object in the galaxy is a spaceship! We all dreamed of womb-ships, antechambers for rebirth into other dimensions; we dreamed of whore-ships driven by the semen of our passionate ejaculations. The invincible and castrating rocket carrying our vengeance to the icy heart of a treacherous sun; humming-bird ornithopters which fly us to sip the ancient nectar of the dwarf stars giving us the juice of eternity. Yes! But far more than that: angelic splendour! We dreamed of caterpillar-tracked hotrods so vast that their tails would disappear behind the horizon.

Spice Melange is a hell of a drug.

Yup.

And why are they teenagers

Because fuck you, that's why. She's also an edgy action chick.

It's shit.
IT'S SHIT.

Thes sure seemed to have brought their personalities in line with Hollywood movie-standards.

Shame, because the mixture of Valerian being kinda phlegmatic and Lareline being very Choleric was what made them fun.

That's what I thought too at first. It's just american high schools on television and teen fiction movies that have warped your perception of age. The dude is 30. Real teenagers look like 10 year olds on american tv.

Why can't he look like he's thirty like all the actors they hired to play teenagers back in the 50s?

So, sketching out the Jodorowsky Foe table:

This night, you [Action1] the [Adj1]-[Title]. [Pronoun] is your [Adj2] [Relation1] from [Location] and uses [Adj3] [Item] to accomplish [Pronoun] goals.

Action1: Face, Fight, Fuck, Feud With, Lie Next To, Impregnate, Torture
Adj1: Turbo, Mega, Meta, Ortho, Para, Nega, Under, Over
Title: Lord, King, Baron, Master, General, Commissioner, Whore, Succubus, Transgressor,
Adj2: Gender-swapped, robotic, clone, mutant, psychic, ethereal, twisted, French, perverted, ravenous, lustful
Relation1: Brother, Sister, Mother, Father, Aunt, Uncle, Cousin, Servant, Oldest Friend, Lover, Unborn Child
Location: The past, the future, an alternate reality, your own subconscious,
Adj3: Deadly, sweet, distasteful, forbidden, unwelcome, intrusive, pleasurable
Item: Allies, clothing, weapons, technologies, sorceries, sexual techniques,

Example Output:

>This night, you [feud with] the [Orth]-[Master]. [She] is your [mutant] [sister] from [the past], and uses [forbidden] [clothing] to accomplish her goals.

Anything else I should ad?