What are the essential components of a space opera military uniform...

What are the essential components of a space opera military uniform? What equipment is standard issue when off of the ship?

#notmyshepard

Depends. One side needs to be in black or dark colors. If it's a joyless, humorless regime like Star Wars' Imperial Navy, no piping. If it's a regime with royalty and a long legacy of powerful nobility, such as Legend of Galactic Heroes' Empire, metallic piping, gold or silver.

Depends entirely on whether the military are the good guys or the bad guys.

Femshep had a better voice actress and fit the archetype of a Paragon character very well; becoming a mother to all these castoffs, weirdos, and orphans of the Galaxy which would make her romance option /ss/ or /yl/?

I couldn't play male Shepard after I played female. Goddamn that voice actor was not up to par against her.

I actually played male Shep for my paragon run. I also made him look like a cheesy dad, which is probably what made it work.

Bright colors, and - if the government can afford it as standard issue - a damn built-in enviro suit. That way when people inevitably get spaced you stand a chance at spotting and recovering them.

>uniform
Collars either stop at the neck or continue up it, no folded down collars like modern dress clothing. Neither less than two colors nor more than three.
No visible buttons. Medals, insignia or rank, and all that kind of thing should be pretty minimal.
>off-ship
A laser pistol, a communication device, and a scanner.

I'm not sure you even know what space opera is.

The essential components of a military uniform in fiction are related more to what you are trying to convey to your audience about the faction and universe than the genre of fiction.

Mark meet ain't bad, Hale is just that much better

flashy enough to be cool, simple enough to meet the budget.

Pockets.

Like a blinged out Age of Sail privateer captain, pic related

This is not space opera.

This is something far cheesier.

Space opera can be pretty cheesy.

Definitely.

Whenever I see Rogue Trader I think that someone has watched too much Treasure Planet and tried to make a gritty reboot of it.

Also now I'm going to go and watch Treasure Planet.

Shepard is not fitting here. He is like col O'Neil while other are closer to gen Hammond.

Sheppard mostly lead small team on actions instead being ship commander with crew.

Being able to see rank is pretty important, especially if you're echoing age-of-sail stuff - you need to be able to know who is senior and shit.
And ideally their should be a dress version for going all out with the bling - or minimalist but still clearly different/senior, like Thrawn.

For combat people should definitely have enviro capabilites

He and Kirk both command a ship and go down on away missions, you know.

That's true of the aesthetic I guess, but not of much else about it beyond "pirates in space" as a premise.

Near future: current uniform styles, with emphasis on coveralls and flight suits.

Far future, liberal: pajamas with rank stripes or pips.

Far future, conservative: Callbaks to WWI-WWII era Germany or Russia, possibly with brighter colors & less brass.

>Enlisted don't get to wear the goatees.
>NCO has fake-suede boots, privates have fake patent leather.

I'm sure it was mostly just a studio budget issue, but it's still a nice way of subtly indicating rank.

FemShep sounds like a dyke and i often disagree with the tone she uses on certain lines

>less brass
Fuck off pleb.