MTG Standard Thread

How was FNM last night?

What did you play?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/emergent-properties/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eternal-grixis-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-dredge-fiend/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-50-14-tix-standard-wb-fabricate
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format= ["standard"]
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format= ["standard"]&color=|[U]|[B]|[C]
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-11-16-ur-dynavolt/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Standard Metagame

Good because it was not standard FNM, and thus i had not need to play this shit excuse of a format

OP here, I play modern and standard, it's fun to discuss both.

Also you ought to give Standard a try, it's pretty interesting currently.

Played UR Thermovisions
Does Torrential gearhulks have a place in this deck?
I've seen it only run in the control variant with Dynavolt tower and not with the Thermo-alchemist version.
Should I cut the Torrential gearhulk entirely?? i've acquired a 3rd and want to use them but don't know if they're valid.
Also how do you folks feel about Thing in the Ice?

My list

Land
4 Wandering Fumarole
4 Shivan Reef
3 Highland Lake
8 Mountain
3 Island
1 Geier Reach Sanitarium

Creatures
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Thermo-Alchemist
1 Torrential Gearhulk

Planeswalkers
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Noncreature Spells
4 Galvanic Bombardment
2 Tormenting Voice
4 Incendiary Flow
4 Collective Defiance
2 Unsubstantiate
2 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
4 Fevered Visions

Sideboard
3 Weaver of Lightning
3 Negate
3 Bedlam Reveler
3 Niblis of Frost
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Torrential Gearhulk

>standard failed to fire off, 6 man draft happens instead

>fresh meat at the table too, a recent convert from YGO so it was fun teaching them the game

>went 2-1 with BUG Energy

Kaladesh is still a lot of fun to draft.

Shivan Reef is suppose to be spirebluff canal.

Got lucky and didn't face the local control, went 4-0. Got 3 packs. No idea what to do with them. Met some cool people.

Good night, I'd give it two thumbs up.

1 of Gearhulk might be good but its more likely to be a dead card. Thing in the Ice however is probably the best 2drop you can ask for in the deck and makes a better finisher to boot.

that sucks, we had a decent turnout at our FNM

16 people, but we only play 3 rounds, i went 3-0 and wanted to play another ;_;

MY ISSUE HOWEVER! is that I tried to get 4 promo fiery tempers, which I accomplished but didnt have cash so i offered to buy a pack for one of the tempers from a friend.

Motherfucker pulled a gearhulk which I immediately traded a playset of promo fiery tempers for.

I played the list I posted above, beat someone borrowing the grixis dredge deck, then i won the mirror, then I beat some random homebrew that i assumed was gonna be a Pummeler deck but it wasnt.

See, I agree, I like Thing in the Ice a lot but the issue is that it clogs the 2 drop slot.

A hand with some burn, a Thing, a Thermo, and a Stormchaser feels so weird. I'd rather go all in on the pinger/visions plan, which stormchaser fits a bit better, essentially being a ping for every spell i play.

Have you tried Furtive Homunculus?

also How does my Sideboard look?

These are some of my options for other slots

Goblin Darkdwellers
Goldnight Castigator
Radiant Flames
Lightning Axes
Thing in the Ice

It's fine, store I'm at is still relatively new and doesn't have the biggest clientele yet, and again Kaladesh draft has yet to overstay its welcome for me so it's an acceptable plan B.

I do wish I could get some play in for my Vehicles deck but the rollback to old rotation gives me some extra time for that.

One small issue though is that since there's only so many Kaladesh cards I'm the set I'm still interested in collecting I just end up shipping my draft pile straight to the counter. It's a weird feeling coming off from years past where I'd just hoard all my cards for no good reason, I have a very small number of loose Kaladesh cards despite having opened up more Kaladesh than any other set I can think of. I'm at a point I don't even want to crack my prize packs because I feel their value is better utilized in more drafts than trying to spin the Masterpiece roulette.

>*in the set I'm still interested in collecting*

Bah, autocorrect.

I feel you, I gave like 4 longboxes of commons to the local shop because they were taking so much space, I pretty much only keep Rares and uncommons along with playable Commons. everything else I leave at the shop

I like cracking packs a lot, so I would probably just pay to draft separately lol.

I take thing over Stormchaser and it hasn't dissapointed me yet since thing slows them down more and is less likely to eat removal.

I have not tried the homunculus, I might next week.

Your board looks fine to me.

ALSO I didn't notice the Galvanic Bombardment earlier- how is that working out for you?

i've only recently bumped it up to 4, it was 2 at FNM tonight and it was never super relevant except when I killed a some x / 5 creature with incendiary flow and bombardment.

I really want it just for the tempo gain of taking my opponent off their 1 drop creature and to get more pings off of thermo-alchemist.

I do want to note however that I attempted the Dynavolt Control version of the deck and absolutely hated it, I ended up trying a split of Dynavolt and Fevered visions while running harnessed lightning and it felt like such a mess.
You definitely have to choose one plan

The Mirror Match I had was with a friend of mine, he runs Homunculus and the older Chandra from Oath, and it was pretty interesting. After out official matches we swapped decks and played again and I beat him again with his deck lol. Homunculus didn't seem bad, it honestly felt like it could compete with Stormchaser for his slot.

The lack of Flying is a bit unfortunate though, but 4 toughness is pretty relevant.

The name Azorius aggro just seems so wrong to me

Homunculus matches up incredibly poorly against Liliana.

very true.

When is Weaver of lightning good out of the board?

havent seen a lot of token decks

Not him but AFAIK Weaver, combined with Galvanic, looks to tear up go-wide decks.

I always assumed it does a decent job of harassing something like UW.

I've been thinking about G/W decks in this standard, and their difficulty against the control variants.

Hermit of the Natterknolls is the sideboard to keep up. Thoughts?

>How was FNM last night?
Don't know. Couldn't make it. Having no car is suffering.

>What did you play?
Modern rats vs. the AI in Forge. Ninjitsu is a fun mechanic that needs to be brought back.

As soon as we return to Kamigawa, we can get ninjitsu back. ;_;

What'a the best way to practice standard without actually owning the cards?

I can see them rebranding it in the near future, Wizards seems to be experimenting a lot with cost reduction mechanics lately.

Forge

I remember MaRo saying something to the effect that Ninjutsu was one of the only good things to come out of Kamigawa, but that it's name was too restrictive to bring back without falvor clash.

Though I don't know how that's fine when prowess comes back with no problem.

Ninjitsu and flavour were the good things. At that point, you can just make a new set and scrap all the old mechanics.

And prowess is a very neutral word, I think it's fine.

How's R/B Zombies? Deck looks really fun to play. Any weakness other than the sideboard Kalitas or flaying tendrils?

Getting Declared in Stone is kind of annoying if you put two Amalgams out at the same time.

Have the Jacestice League run into a former Oldwalker who went around creating Ninjutsu school all across the Multiverse. BAM! You can have ninjutsu on all the planes that aren't exclusively tied to a single mythological source like Theros.

Or just go back to Kamigawa.

Marketing thinks Kamigawa is suicide, until Tamiyo and the Kamigawa subplot in the lore start to do something about the popular sentiment of Kamigawa we ain't touching that plane in a regular block expansion for the foreseeable future.

Besides with the current push for all inclusiveness they'll probably feel another Asian demographic should get some spotlight first. Thinly veiled rehash of the Tale of Chunhyang to pander to South Koreans, anyone?

Isn't Wizards working off decade old data regarding Kamigawa? What would it take to get them to look again, see if they is some actual interest.

I'm sure. Marketing is a retarded drooling sludgemonster ruining magic's flavour, and shouldn't be listened to.

I think they should just make a minor change and relabel it like they did with Chroma and Devotion.

Look man it's all fun and games until you pull a Homelands, and Kamigawa pulled a Homelands.

I'll take a thousand low-powered, awesome lore sets to one Zendikar, thank you.

OG Zendikar?

Ey fuck you buddy that shit was excellent.

you went 4-0 and only got 3 packs? that's so fucking weak

Either A) They're not used to a standard community there or B) It was because the cost of entry was a toonie.

>toonie.
my fellow leafbro

Oh yeah, I went to Timmies after droppin' a toonie on some caahrds, eh?

I still dislike that midrange (and perhaps tempo) are listed under Aggro. I think that they are enough of their own thing to get their own category.

Anyway, my store does Draft. Finally went for first FNM since... I forgot when. Drafter W/B fliers went 0-2, 2-0, and 1-0 in my matches. Lost second game of the first match and first game of the third match by a hair. Why do I play this game again?

I think MaRo said that Ninjitsu (and maybe Bushido) are most likely to come back with more flavor neutral names so they could be in a variety of settings.

i was playing grixis visions for a bit. dynavolt tower is a good card in this deck and the black splash for unlicensed disintegration is basically free.

i really didnt like gearhulk in the deck though. not what you want to be doing at all.

thing in the ice is fine. perfectly valid option but you'll need to prepare for it to eat every single stasis snare in the room and it loses points against Flash because they play flash dudes and mage.

to be completely honest with you, adding dynavolt and harnessed lightning was strong as fuck because with tower you generate 5 energy and can go to face for 3 off the tower immediately or dome their biggest guy for 5.

i took a week off the deck to play grixis dredge again because it's a cute deck but the mana is really fucking hard in 3 colors because your engine spell is red, your recursive things require black and your payoff is double blue.

>Also you ought to give Standard a try, it's pretty interesting currently.
agreed. i play all three constructed formats weekly and standard is definitely more interesting than modern currently.

i run eternal scourge to fuel my scrapheap scroungers and kek heartily at exilefags.

My deck is kinda inconsistent, but a blast to play.

I'm still not sure what to do about my mana base though

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/emergent-properties/

I've been playing R/G Pummeler and I'm sick of getting demolished by Jeskai Control. 4 blossoming defenses aren't enough to push through all the immolating glares, radiant flames and harnessed lightnings, and even when I manage to get a creature to survive I eat a blessed alliance. What could I sideboard to help against that? I want to get 1 Arlinn Kord and maybe gearhulks, but not sure if they will be of any help.

I played Pauper teachings. Was fun, I fucked up really badly.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/emergent-properties/

here u go f@m
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eternal-grixis-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-dredge-fiend/

No, I get why Dynavolt is good, it's just that it competes too heavily with fevered visions, theyre separate but similar decks.

I wonder if there's a flavour reason why Etermal Scourge can be killed by Blessed Alliance

jam two towers into it and get back to me breh.

i wont discount it as a possibility

breh i played 3/3 split, it just felt clunky, same reason I cut Thing in the Ice, just too much competition with thermo and stormchaser, dilutes my line of play

>Got 3 packs. No idea what to do with them.
Crack 'em you fuck

I just picked magic back up via MTGO so no FNM for me. Running a cheapo BW fabricate that's been fun. I defeat myself about half the time I lose, so it's nice to learn from my mistakes. I've had some fun games, and I look forward to upgrading my deck. Standard is actually pretty diverse which is nice. I see a lot of different stuff, though a few things keep coming back around.

>BW fabricate
go on.

Pretty solid actually. Kalitas and Flaying Tendrils can generally be answered with a good Lost Legacy/Transgress after board. The biggest issue is mostly Stasis Snares so be sure to name them after board against W based decks.

Not really a concern considering Dec in Stone is sorcery speed and you'll get the Amalgam's out at end step. Afterwards you have lines where you can emerge into Distended Mindbender's or Elder Deep Fiend's or even sac them to flip a Voldaren Pariah to save from the targetted effect.

fairly new player here. I need a card that will let me sacrifice as many creatures as I can; with the intention to sac a ton of tokens from liliana and convert them into counters on a diregraf collosus

3-1 with tamiyo spirits. 3-1, 3-1 and 4-0 at last 3 fnms

there aren't really any repeatable sac outlets in standard anymore. ayli and trafficker are the only two i can think of right now.
eliminate the competition lets you sack as many as you can

Chandra looks like a dude in that picture.

I love it!

>trafficker
eliminate the competition might do it. would I need 10 target creatures if I sac 10 tokens? or could I sac 10 tokens and destroy 3 creatures letting the other 7 sacs not do anything?

you can target the same creature multiple times, yeah

I'm pretty new and trying to build my first semi-serious deck but am very limited on resources.
How can I improve what I have currently? I'm trying to do a WB control/energy sort of thing with a bunch of draw control.
Thanks in advance!

Land
2 Aether Hub
1 Evolving Wild
10 Island
11 Plain

Artifacts
2 Glassblower's Puzzleknot
1 Smuggler's Copter
1 Dynavolt tower

Creatures
3 Bastion Mastodon
4 Aether Theorist
2 Janjeet Sentry
2 Aethersquall Ancient
2 Gearshift Ace
2 Visionary Augmenter
1 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Propeller Pioneer

Noncreature Spells
4 Revoke Privleges
1 Skywhaler's Shot
2 Refurbish
1 Era of Innovation
2 Impeccable Timing
1 Built to Last
2 Select for Inspection
1 Confiscation Coup
1 Zealous Strike

Sideboard
none lol

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-50-14-tix-standard-wb-fabricate

Pretty much this, but I maindeck Kimball and angelic purges

>play like 6 games where I can't seem to find any lands
>either mulligan down to like 3 cards or take a hand with 2 lands and get nothing else ever
>finally having a decent draw
>play well, next turn I'm going to combo off and win
>enemy declares a chump attacker
>enemy idles for 10 minutes with priority and loses to the timer

I am new to MTG. Posted here. >>I've already bought the Kaladesh box (with 10 boosters) 3 eldritch moon boosters, got a blue/black control deck for playing a learn-the-game tournament, and the blessed vs cursed duel deck.

How do I know which of my cards are legal in Standard? I know my eldritch and kaladesh ar. But what about this blue black deck? (it's got blue cards like catalog, disperse, ancient crab, cloud manta / black cards like mind rot, demon's grasp, vampire noble, untamed hunger)? What of my cursed vs blessed?

I also own a bunch of cards from 2011 which I know mostly aren't legal, but I have a couple lightning bolts that are legal??? I find it confusing.

To be more specific, this is the full deck list. The only thing I have altered myself is swapping 1 land of each for 2x Dismal Blackwater and the normal mind rot for a holo;
2x Ancient Crab
Sphinx of Magosi
Air Servant
Cloud Manta
Umara Entangler
Niblis of Dusk
Stitched Mangler
Coralhelm Guide
Pore Over the Pages
Roiling Waters
Sweep Away
Catalog
Anticipate
Disperse
2x Sleep Paralysis

2x Walking Corpse
Rottenheart Ghoul
Hagra Sharpshooter
Nightmare
Sengir Vampire
Zulaport Cutthroat
Vampire Envoy
Vampire Noble
Mind Rot
Bone Splitters
Dutiful Return
x2 Demon's Grasp
Tar Snar
Untamed Hunger
Dead Weight

Blighted Fen
Blighted Cataract
2x Dismal backwater
and the rest is swamp/islands

full list of standard legal cards
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format= ["standard"]
standard legal blue, black and colorless cards
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format= ["standard"]&color=|[U]|[B]|[C]

Thanks user.

also bear in mind not everything in the duel decks is standard legal either

Standard legal cards are those that belong to the sets Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows over Innistrad, Eldritch Moon, Welcome 2016 and Kaladesh. To know the set a card belongs to, look at the lower left corner, it has a 3 letter code.

There are two exceptions to this:
A card from an earlier edition can be played as long as it has been reprinted in the aforementioned sets. For example, grasp of darkness from Scars of Mirrodin (2011l was reprinted in OGW and is therefore legal.
Cards that belong to duel decks are not legal despite being the same cards, though nobody will bitch at you if you play them in FNM environment.
Lightning bolt is not legal in Standard, by the way, but it's a Modern staple.
The starting decks are bad, but it's better than nothing. You should consider playing more copies of each card, 4 of each is the maximum and it makes the deck much more consistent.
Dismal Backwater is not legal, it's from Khans of Tarkir. The rest of the deck seems to be.

>Cards that belong to duel decks are not legal despite being the same cards
wait really

Does this apply to all cards?
I swapped out my lands with ones I had from 2011 with different art, so I would have a range of different looking land. Are they not legal because they were printed that long ago- despite being basic land?
What about my holo mind rot? Is that not legal either?

no eariler printings are legal in standard

but according to copys found in duel decks are not which is something i have never heard

your mind rot will be fine as will your lands

The guys responsible for deck names at mtgtop8 should be shot.

i just checked and i have no idea where user got that idea from

hell duel decks are legal in vintage and legacy so i dont see why a duel deck version of a standard legal card would not be legal

most of those decks have a proper name they should be using instead

My bad, reprints are legal indeed.

i dont think this deck i built is very good
but im gonna give it a try anyway
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-11-16-ur-dynavolt/

i just need to work out the rest of the sideboard

maybe i should cut back on the burn for more control

alright i sorted out a sideboard

Land (22)
4x Evolving Wilds
4x Highland Lake
1x Island
1x Mountain
4x Sequestered Stash
4x Spirebluff Canal
4x Wandering Fumarole
Artifact (4)
4x Dynavolt Tower
Instant (16)
4x Galvanic Bombardment
4x Geistblast
4x Glimmer of Genius
4x Harnessed Lightning
Creature (10)
2x Aethersquall Ancient
4x Stormchaser Mage
4x Thing in the Ice Flip
Sorcery (8)
4x Confiscation Coup
4x Take Inventory
Sideboard (15)
4x Aether Meltdown
2x Aethersquall Ancient
1x Burn from Within
4x Insidious Will
4x Negate

i am leaning towards ditching the whole dam deck idea.

How good a standard deck will I be able to make with only Kaladesh cards?

Already got 2 smugglers copters.

I would say fairly decent

G/R/u energy is like 90% kaladesh and can win FNM

Both Boros and Mardu vehicle decks works pretty well with KLD only, and also G/R Energy and Affinity Metalwork Colossus.

show me dat list bish

Hey been out of magic for a bit.

How's that Chandra doing? Breaking the format as the new Red-Jace?

What's top deck to beat right now?

She's ok and no, not even close

And at my store it seems to be Grixis Control, play against it multiple times every time I go.
Followed by UW(r) flash stuff.
RW Vehicles/aggro is popular apparently but I never see it.

>She's ok and no, not even close
Haha, yeah. Imagine that.

What's UW Flash running?

Spell Queller, Avacyn, Gideon, Selfless Spirit, Stasis Snare, Thraben Inspector and I'm not sure what else usually. When I've played against it it's usually some combination or counterspells, Immolating glare, Blessed Alliance and the odd Torrential Gearhulk floating around.

Sometimes there's red in there for Radiant Flames and Harnessed Lightning.

Alright, Veeky Forums, I need your help. I need to do a statistical analysis on the top 8 decks from the most recent pro tour. I can gather the data I need on win rate and composition statistics from MTGGoldfish and the mothership, but there's one other thing I have to do. I need to calculate how often any given deck would need to mulligan, as a measure (combined with winrate) of how reliable that deck is. The thing is, I'm not very good at Standard, so I won't know when to mulligan when given a sample hand. I'll take 5 sample hands from each of the top 8 decks, screencap them, and post them here. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to look at each sample hand and tell me whether to keep or mulligan, assuming that it's game 1 and you don't know what your opponent is playing.

Here's the first hand, from Pierre Dagen's U/R spells deck. Keep or Mulligan?

Bump? Anyone?

I'd keep it I think, but I'm prone to. Getting the dynavolt tower out early is ket, and since its game 1 the opponent won't probably have artifact removal.

All right, thanks. I'd like a few more opinions - hopefully the thread will be less dead come evening - but for now, here's the second one.

Thinking of finally investing and getting back into standard again. Anyone have a RG Pummler list

Why does Sky Skiff exist?

Because making a smuggler's copter a 1/3 would have been too logical.

Wish they had left it as 3/2. That way, the copter wouldn't make both skiff and responder useless.