EDH/Commander General

My buddy's Commander edition.

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-dXm-elves/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fatty-lifegain/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cry-of-the-brave/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for tech cards that nobody expects.

Gonna playtest the precons with two other people this thursday, I'll play the grouphug one, any tips?

kind of wish they would've included the dark depths + thespian stage combo in it, would've gone nicely with tempt with discovery.

k

>T2 hasted Blightsteel
I am a depraved individual beyond redemption

>PLANAR CHAOS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

How much removal do you have in your usual commander deck? It feels like to me that there are more board wipes and two for ones than cards that are LIKE UNTO lightning bolt, and if they are they're like a fire ball or something.

y u b hatin?

Any commanders that go well with draw-go control?

Ah Harrow, the penultimate blue card.

Seeking advice on crafting degenerate UG elf ball:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-dXm-elves/

Trying to find a good balance of control and elf.

Guys, never played EDH, am going to buy one of the 2016 precons.

Which one of them is the best right out of the box?
I plan to upgrade it later, though.

So I bought Breya and Atraxa and while Breya is effectively artifacts.dec, Atraxa can go in many different directions.

I'm gonna be going in the +1/+1 counters and infect strategy. What are some good cards for that because Doubling Season and Primal Vigor?

Inexorable Tide
Spike Weaver
Contagion Engine
Sage of Hours
Simic Manipulator

Triumph of the hordes is probably good. Tainted strike. Decimator web is less good but kind of lulzy. Contagion engine is strong on its own anyways. Glistening oil is repeatable and doubles as femoral in a pinch. Grafted exoskeleton is good.

Really, the best stuff for infect kills is robot and things that give infect to other things, because most of the creatures that have it natively are awful.

Bought Breya and Yidris. Yidris deck is alot more clunky than it looked and is gonna need a complete rehaul. As for Breya, give me the best flicker cards out there

A-anyone?
I don't understand much but the two I think are the best is Atraxa and Breya's.

Deadeye Navigator
Conjurer's Closet
Mistmeadow Witch
Eerie Interlude
Venser, Planeswalker

my atraxa, yidris, and breya decks just arrived. which one should i play tonight?

Breya is artifacts.dec
Yidris is horrible mess but with some alright cards
Atraxa is casual appealing
Fag Tag is pillow fort to the max but surprisingly works well
Saskia is just green mardu which has been done before and better than saskia.

If you're new to EDH maybe last year's decks are a better starting point

That being said, without touching anything, I like Breya the most. If I can make a few modifications, groupfug. Even if it's just to take out Ludevic

is stalwart unity even worth trying to make good or should i just strip it for parts? seems like it has a lot of things a nekusar deck would want

It's a pillow fort/group hug deck. It's low power on purpose.

I'd say Atraxa. Breya might be better, that's a matter of chance, but Atraxa is much more straighforward. The other commanders are fun too. There doesn't seem to be much of a power gap between the five of them this year. Go with whatever one makes you say "I'd like to build a deck around this commander" because you're gonna have 1000% more fun with that one.

>tfw yidris player chaos warps my silas renn placing sharuum onto the battefield returning breya from my graveyard to the battlefield

Invent Superiority was fun

I love 1 for 1s that cost 1-3 mana and are instant speed

Too many combo pieces being played to skimp on them in my meta

Breya or Atraxa. I feel they are both pretty straightforward enough for new players while still having a ton of deeper layers to play style.

Yidris and Saskia are just combat commanders while Kynaios and Tiro are just a bit weirder to start off with for commander despite being a strong deck already.Group hug is a deck you play after playing a lot of other goal oriented decks and just want to try playing weird peacekeeper.

Funniest thing about this card is that the first time I ever used it to counter a sorcery, that same guy tried casting Redirect to change its target to Redirect. He was so disappointed it didn't work that way.

I know this isn't an answer, but I'd REALLY recommended getting a 2015 or 2014 commander deck.

2014: Green or White (maybe red)
2015: Golgari or Orzhov

Not only do they have more cards you'll actually end up using in new decks, but they are more straightforward and are FAR more synergistic.

I agree with this guy
but get Ezuri

out of the box id say atraxa or breya

Thinking of putting the eligible exp counter commanders into Atraxa. Yay or nay?

what would a five-color exp counter deck look like?

My dude, run Ezuri, Claw of Progress. He gets absolutely bonkers.
Also you could get spicy and run Superfriends in Atraxa.

I don't think they're worth it just for one extra exp counter per turn

Maybe just Ezuri and Meren

You can't Proliferate Experience.
That said, you could probably rig some sort of solitaire plan with Ezuri and Meren.

Fucking terrible, R/W wants Fatties, U/G wants Weenies, R/U wants neither. B/W and B/G could make nice.

One of the guys in my playgroup was playing the group hug pre-con last night. We were both in agreement that there doesn't seem to be a clear strategy for winning.

Pretty much, you just gotta make it hard for anyone to attack you, and offer incentives for the other players to attack each other.

Loved this card when I played old Kozilek. Fun times.

I don't think that works how you would it does because the experience counters aren't associated with permanents.

Pic related.

You can proliferate Experience Counters.

E.g. Tezzeret's Gambit in Mizzix...

You actually can proliferate experience counters

Ezuri and meren have decent synergy, the others do not

You can tho. Exp counters are counters on a player

>All experience counters are identical, no matter how you got them. For example, the last ability will count experience counters that you got from the first ability, from another ability, from proliferating, and so on.

So my QM Punishment deck has worked out flawlessly. Everyone hates it and its already banned. Why are punishment cards so hated? When faggot to the left is dropping shit with Kaalia left and right and faggot to the right is playing artifact shenanigans the deck why the fuck does my one life every time you play a land fucking mater? Played it with my group and they all universally hated it. I played it at my LGS in both 1 on 1 and multiplayer matches one being a 16 man game and just everyone hates it.

Same shit happens when I play Oloro. Everyone wants to knock me out but when the Selvala player's board gets too big, they all come crying for a boardwipe.

Duel commander Atraxa infect. Anyone got a list already? If you do, please post. I'm working on mine still.

>1 on 1 EDH

This guy again

>Everyone hates it and its already banned. Why are punishment cards so hated?
Because everyone wants to be a special snowflake and still win.

So my local shop is doing a commander sealed league with the new pre-cons. Every week we can make an additional two alterations to the deck. I picked yidris because cascade is bonkers, but out of the box the strat seems to be 'wheel six times and deck yourself' so I'm looking for ways to make the deck have more punch. Anybody have suggestions that aren't peeled off of EDHrec? Also, suggestions on order of importance and what to cut, which is relevant due to the league restrictions.

My first two swaps for week one:
Out: aeon chronicler In: swiftfoot boots
Out: whims of the fates In: kozilek, butcher of truth

Future board:
Insurrection
Ulamog the infinite gyre
Scroll rack
Liliana's caress/megrim
Terminate
Fireshrieker
Dominus of fealty

So what do you guys do when somebody in your playgroup has a ridiculous power level?

My friends are all more or less the same powerlevel deck wise and none of us make anything too dickish, with the exception of me running prossh but only as a go-wide token deck, sans- purphoros and other bullshit.

But this one friend- james. Guy easily drops 200 $ on a single deck and then proxies in the other ridiculous shit he has in. Blightstell collossui, platinum empyrions. Shit like that is proxied. But he mostly just does asshole things that nobody else in the game group can break out off, like isochron scepter+silence+unwinding clock, then a wad of coutnerspells. Or his mycrosynth lattice sydri combo, or etc etc.

The guy gets off on being a total asshole and when he's in the game if we don't all dogpile him he wins, just hands down. What do we do? Do I ask him to lower his powerlevel or do we stop playing with him? Not sure what to do

>made custom tokens
>got jank, gimmicky perfect fits
>matched my land arts

My gimmick perfect fits already make it look foil, so foiling it would be redundant. What else can I do to pimp a deck while I'm waiting on its last cards to arrive?

Talk to him like an adult, instead of being a butthurt little baby on Veeky Forums

>muh $200
>muh proxies
>muh autism

If nobody else In the group is using proxies, tell him to man up and buy his bullshit or stop using them.

Also, play more interactivity in your decks. Scepter lock is fragile. Boards full of indestructible permanents are gone to evacuation/cyclonic rift/hurkyls recall/merciless eviction. Combos can be interrupted with removal or hate cards. Sure, it sucks to be forced into a faster pace, and go have to cut some meme cards, but it's better than letting him walk all over your face.

Worst comes to worse, just straight up tell him-"dude, your decks duck all the fun out of the game. Can't you build something a little less competitive?" And if he whines about it just stop playing with him.

First off, proxying cards he doesn't own is pretty abnormal and you guys should definitely be able to ask him to only play cards he owns

But besides that, my playgroup had a similar problem. What we did was gang up on him every time until through slow upgrades to our decks it eventually wasn't a problem anymore

Sounds like you guys are averse to both upgrading your decks and to ganging up on him, so you guys are partially at fault, though it's definitely more his fault, especially with proxying powerful cards he doesn't need in your meta

Nothing because I'm that guy, tho I do not proxy. :^)

I always offer to borrow people my decks tho and I have some casual decks too.

You either gotta focus him down as a group, build decks that are his powerlevel or just straight up tell him to tone down a bit.

>Veeky Forums tells me I was banned from july to august this year

Late april fools or..?

Is it 1v1 or proper EDH?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fatty-lifegain/

I couldn't decide whether to make a Doran deck or a lifegain deck, so I tried to make both.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Just add storm cards, rituals, and draw spells. Wheeling 6 times is awesome if you have seething song, manamorphose, and tendrils of agony in your deck.

I want to make Kynaios and Tiro into a full on group-slug politics deck. I've seen a couple of Gahiji lists floating around, so I'm fairly aware of what my options are for Naya, but I'm not really sure what blue brings to the table other than counterspells and goodstuff. Should I just be building Gahiji if that's the kinda deck I want to play? I do like having access to propaganda and the blue offering card from C14, but that's about all I can think of.

I'm running a volrath reanimator build and I was wondering if there was something to pull multiple things back to my hand from the grave on the cheap. I could also use any sneaky tech suggestions you can think of. I'm running most of the staples and carnival of souls.

Black isn't great at recurring noncreature cards, if that's what you mean

I like 1on1 because it feels like U.S. vs Russia. Instead on looking all over and trying to politic your way around its ll of your best shit vs all of their best shit.

What do you mean? That decks that say draw a bunch of cards will hate me because they dealt damage for each draw and the aggro decks will hate me for being pinged for each creature attacking?

What does your Oloro deck do just gain an insane amount of life?

Damn that sounds fun as fuck. I wish my LGS did shit like that. My LGS barely supports the EDH league as is. Its all standard and draft all the time. I want some janky stuff like that.

No, I mean putting creatures in my hand for a low cost so I can double down on Volrath when I'm swinging. The rest of the deck isn't bad, it's a little durdle prone, but I'm really hesitant to run non-enchantment versions when I could just run more reanimator instead.

You mean stuff like this?

Yes, that's perfect. Thanks user! Any more efficient options? I only need to discard something twice with volrath to cause some mayhem, but when I get 9+ mana to do a combo like that, I might as well just play whatever bomb I would be discarding.

Oh well then black is great for that

Phyrexian reclamation and death denied are probably the best

You might like disturbing plot

Phyrexian reclaimation couldn't be more perfect. Holy shit, that's a 50 cent card. Any tier two options?

It's almost like you knew my token subtheme. That's a spicy meatball that fits nicely into my curve. Do I need to pay 1B each time I conspire it, or just when I cast it?

>stuck in St Louis for weekend
>take taxi to a comic book store I found on Google
>their Facebook says they're playing commander today
>get in and there's just 4 guys playing with the new precons
>ask if I can watch
>they don't care
>stand there like an idiot for 30 minutes without saying anything
>feel awkward, go browse store
>buy yidris and some sleeves before taking taxi back

If any of you four guys from star clipper browse here I'm sorry for being a spaghetti lmao

But I like the way the yidris deck is built. I think I'm going to improve the lands but leave the rest of the deck as is for lower powered games.

St Louis resident here. If you think that was awkward, you should have seen some of the game nights across the river.

I'm actually at the pilot truck stop across the river in East St Louis next to some big ass race track. I was going to walk to a store that Google says is 2 mi away but their facebook said GOING OUT OF BUSINESS and I was afraid of having an awkward time there

While playing with all the new precons at my lgs last night I was one turn away from being milled by the greeks with keening stone. That exponential mill effect hits 100 real fast when theyve got prison effects out. Thats one potential win con.

At another table some kid got another guy down to less than ten cards in his library from just holding the game out so long.

You guys should all meet up and jump off of the gateway arch.

no u

I would get shot on the way there.

How easy is it to build around Mayael the Anima?

Nekusar+Green package if you want to stick with Wheeling

Leovold if you just want to be a cunt

Reanimator if you want to be clever

Extremely easy.

What the actual fuck

Reposting from previous thread.

Been kicking around a Marrow-Gnawer tribal deck (with some additions like mikaeus, ratcatcher and ogre slumlord) that's been performing quite well on xmage.

Any other mono colored commanders to look at? Trying to keep costs down and another user said ashing the pilgim isn't too hot or cheap

Also a couple of opponents complained at my marrow gnawer deck, is rat tribal aggro really that annoying? Granted I usually otk them.

I still don't get why stuff like this is important, it's a fantasy card game who cares about sexuality or gender, give me another giant flashy dragon or something.

Remember that people on tumblr and Reddit that care about "diversity" that crap play this game too.

What's the most convoluted thing I can do for a win in a Split Second?

I know some people will give me shit because of meme status, but Zada actually is really fun to pilot and super cheap to throw together.

>mfw being the third person in a Yisan mirror match

Sure I don't know what I was gonna do against two Mono-Green decks when playing Mono-Red, but every game I played with either of them just ended in playing solitaire for 5 minutes with their decks until they can play Craterhoof and swing at both players for the kill, and I played at least 4 games with them.

>give me another giant flashy dragon or something.
That's the problem. Actually interesting creatures will be shoved to the wayside for speshul snowflakes.

What's really bad is when you're looking forward to a specific card in a set to be spoiled and they ruined the concept for some tranny or token character. I'm looking at you, WUGR faggots.

>diversity

If these people have nothing else going for them but their gender and sexuality they should reconsider.

Wasn't there one guy butthurt about kaladesh as well?

>Wasn't there one guy butthurt about kaladesh as well?
They took extra special care to take anything even remotely offensive out of Kaladesh, I can't imagine what he could possibly be butthurt about. Aside from name dropping curry in a story and having some funky pastel colors it's hardly even Indian at all.

Yeah, I don't like it if it feels forced.

Like, I don't give a fuck who they want to bang or whats in their pants, give me an actual interesting legendary creature with a nice background and awesome abilities that makes me want to build a deck around it.

Not just
>durr trans

Alara had plenty of those, new phyrexia too, what happened?

Help me gut ydris, guys.
What are some of the auto includes? Do you think a superfriends subtheme could be good?

Jesus Christ I didn't know they were that bad.

I know right? I'm pretty sure ashela's story article was just her talking about being a transgender and being a hero as well.

A passive-aggressive method to addressing part of your problem would be to have the group set a rule against using proxies unless you already own a copy of the card.
But the best option? You talk to him. If it is easier to do so, then everyone talks to him while the group is playing. Have everyone who has concerns express them in a constructive way. We had a player in my playgroup that made only made hyper competitive decks. We addressed our concerns, and he has started making an active effort to tone down the power level of his decks so we're all on more equal footing.

----

Unrelated, I am working on a Saskia deck and I'm having trouble figuring out what cards I should cut. If anyone could offer advice for what I should remove (or potentially add) please let me know. EDHrec is proving to be unhelpful considering how new the creature is (and has mostly pre-con cards listed)
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cry-of-the-brave/

You can't do anything convoluted with a Split Second. That spell is on the stack and that's that. Nothing else happens.

I'll echo what said. Zada is pretty fun, and can be built and a low budget since it runs primarily on commons. I've seen some builds as cheap as $25. My version of Zada is around $90.

Conspire only works once it's a triggered effect, but you don't pay extra mana

some people think $200 is a lot for an edh deck?
i have multiple edh decks in the 2-3k range

Would zada work well in the 99 with Wort, the Raidmother as the commander? Doubling all of your pump spells and then giving everything that pump seems pretty dope.