"I wanna be a wizard! I wanna be a mage!"

>"I wanna be a wizard! I wanna be a mage!"

No.

"Magic" is one of the worst blights inflicted on fantasy in the modern era, right next to anime and video games. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the DMs and authorial intent alike. Any stupid shit your player wants to do they justify with "magic." Any unrealistic character shit or stupid weapons (fucking SCYTHES) has them whining for magic. They beg for speshul snowflake races, talking animals, and stupid monsters on the pretense of "magic." And on the flipside, fantasy with actual artistry and historical research put in has them gets shit on as "boring."

I am sick and tired of coddled Millennials expecting that their actions should have no consequences and that they should have a pointy hatted fucker there to throw bombs at all the bad guys and heal their booboos, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE GAME that they don't have to really really lose because ~its magic~!

I tried introducing my players to this cool historical fantasy campaign I wanted to run last weekend so they could bring their characters this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.

>"I want my character to be an elf!"
There are no elves. There are only humans.
>"I want to be a ninja!"
There are no ninjas in Europe.
>"Yeah but there might be!"

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a whole new group because every shitty ass player nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like World of Warcraft. Nobody expected to read about a half-demon-half-angel-dual-scythe wielding sparkefairy in Lord of the Rings. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real fantasy and the unrealistic anime tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the sparkleys and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched settings/plots. They think they're entitled to be superheroes instead of part of something bigger.

>"I wanna field a Riptide! I wanna field an Optimised Stealth Cadre!"

No.

"Riptide" is one of the worst blights inflicted on 40k in the modern era, right next to flyrants and frag cannons. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the Space Marines and Orks alike. Any stupid shit your player wants to do they justify with "Riptide." Any 2+ armour save shit or stupid weapons (fucking ION CANNON) has them whining for Riptide. They beg for T6 W6 MCs, 2+ saves, and Feel No Pain on the pretense of "it's Tau's TEQ." And on the flipside, 40k with actual artistry and CADs put in has them gets shit on as "boring."

I am sick and tired of coddled Millennials expecting that their armies should have Markerlights and that they should have a T6 2+/3++ FNP fucker there to throw S8 AP2 at all the bad guys and heal their failed nova charges, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE GAME that they don't have to really really lose because ~its Tau's TEQ~!

I tried introducing my players to this cool Horus Heresy campaign I wanted to run last weekend so they could bring their armies this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.

>"I want my character to be a Blackshield!"
There are no blackshields. There are only the 18 Legions.
>"I want to be a Tau!"
There are no Tau in 30k

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a whole new group because every shitty ass player nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like Codex: Tau Empire. Nobody expected to read about a T6 W6 2+/3++/FNP Jump MC in Codex: Tau Empire. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real 40k and the unrealistic armies being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the Riptides and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched settings/plots. They think they're entitled to be Tau players instead of part of something bigger.

>"I wanna be a weaponmaster! I wanna use a sword!"

No.

"Swords" are one of the worst blights inflicted on weapons in the modern era, right next to spears and axes. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the DMs and authorial intent alike. Any stupid shit your player wants to do they justify with "sword." Any unrealistic character shit or stupid weapons (fucking KNIVES) has them whining for swords. They beg for speshul snowflake styles, ancestral weapons, and stupid armor on the pretense of "swords" And on the flipside, weapons with actual artistry and historical research put in has them gets shit on as "boring."

I am sick and tired of coddled Millennials expecting that their actions should have no consequences and that they should have a blade wielding fucker there to throw knives at all the bad guys and cut off limbs, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE GAME that they don't have to really really lose because ~its swords~!

I tried introducing my players to this cool barfighting campaign I wanted to run last weekend so they could bring their characters this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.

>"I want my character to have a greatsword!"
There are no greatswords. There are only fists.
>"I want to be a paladin!"
There are no paladins in Ireland.

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a whole new group because every shitty ass player nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like medieval europe. Nobody expected to see a greatsword-wielding paladin in Rocky. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real weaponry and the unrealistic fantasy tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the stabbies and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched settettings/plots. They think they're entitled to be dragonslayers instead of part of something bigger.

You wouldn't happen to be that faggot who made the scythe thread last month would you?

I've seen this copypasta before

Alright so how would you like people to play? I am looking to get into dnd, but the play group that has offered for me to play with them seem very casual, and I think they will be precisely like what you just described.

>unrealistic anime tripe

Look. I understand you're upset for a really stupid reason, and I was going to just ignore you, but it seems that you've made an almost fatal mistake and need to be corrected.

The flaw lies in you and your ability to communicate.

Not with anime.

You lack the ability to sell an idea, and instead of finding fault in yourself, you decide that it's everyone else's fault for not sharing the tastes you have, or immediately understanding the tone of game you want just from a few vague ideas that, in the manner you presented them, do not sound appealing at all.

For example, you said this-
> fantasy with actual artistry and historical research put in"

-thinking that it sounds amazing and interesting. Instead, it sounds like you want to act like a pretentious cunt and bore the shit out of group with stuff you've read on wikipedia. While it very well may not be that way, you've done a terrible job at selling your campaign to me, because you seem to be a devoted follower of the Neauphun school of completely missing the point of a game.

I recently was in almost the exact same situation, with a player wanting to play Dr. Strange in a medieval world with almost no magic, and I explained the setting and the tone of the game I was going for and helped him build a character that would be fun for him to play. I didn't pretend I was smarter than him, or that I had superior tastes, I simply had a quick discussion with him, and even made a few compromises to let him try and explore some ideas he's been dying to try.

So, before you blame anime, which is a broad and wonderful medium that includes a number of shows and movies with "fantasy with actual artistry and historical research put in", you should do yourself a favor and find the faults in yourself before griping about the faults of others.

Beam in your eye, and all that.

>"I wanna be a Michael Wittmann! I wanna field a Tiger!"

No.

"Pzkw VI Ausf E" is one of the worst blights inflicted on WW2 in the modern era, right next to Pearl Harbor and PIATs. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the Allies and T-34s alike. Any stupid shit your player wants to do they justify with "Tiger I." Any unrealistic character shit or stupid weapons (fucking Kwk-36) has them whining for Tigers. They beg for speshul snowflake tanks, SS Guards Divisions, and Michael Wittmann on the pretense of "Tiger I." And on the flipside, WW2 with actual artistry and historical research put in has them gets shit on as "boring."

I am sick and tired of coddled Millennials expecting that their actions should have no consequences and that they should have a zimmerit-ed fucker there to throw 8.8cm shells at all the bad guys and set their sights at 800m, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE WAR that they don't have to really really lose because ~ideologically pure Wehrmacht~!

I tried introducing my players to this cool historical WW2 campaign I wanted to run last weekend so they could bring their characters this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.

>"I want my character to be in the SS!"
There are no SS. There are only Volkssturm.
>"I want to drive a Tiger!"
There are no Tigers in Cassino.

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a whole new group because every shitty ass player nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like Kelly's Heroes. Nobody expected to read about a tank playing music in von Clausewitz. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real WW2 and the unrealistic German tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the Tiger I and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched settings/plots. They think they're entitled to be Nazis instead of part of something bigger.

IGNORE THIS THREAD. THIS THREAD IS COPYPASTA.

Why are you reposting this entire thread? We have archives.

It's not even that old. I'm pretty sure it got started a month or two ago at most.

>"I wanna be a shitposter! I wanna be a dick!"

No.

"Copypasta" is one of the worst blights inflicted on Veeky Forums in the modern era, right next to anime and video games. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the mods and authorial intent alike. Any stupid shit your OP wants to do they justify with "Copypasta." Any unrealistic character shit or stupid memes (fucking DOGE) has them whining for copypasta. They beg for Chick Tracts, cheezburger, and stupid memes on the pretense of "copypasta." And on the flipside, shitposting with actual artistry and historical research put in has them gets shit on as "boring."

I am sick and tired of coddled Millennials expecting that their actions should have no consequences and that they should have a pointy hatted fucker there to show them the piss forest and get epic lulz, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE GAME that they don't have to really really lose because ~it's copypasta~!

I tried introducing my players to this cool archive thread I wanted to read last weekend so they could bring their content this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.

>"Y U TAEK HIM 2 DA BAR!"
Violation of global rule.
>"EXCUSE ME COMMISSAR!"
There are no Commissars on /b/

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a whole new group because every shitty ass OP nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like 1d4chan. Nobody expected to read about a luchador suplexing a dragon in U RAFF U RUSE. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real shitposting and the unrealistic 1d4chan tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the memes and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched shitposts. They think they're entitled to be legion instead of part of something bigger.

I was here for the birth of this copypasta, it was a good thread, fun was had by all (except OP, fuck OP)

>I don't like fun!
OK

There's a lot of anti-magic threads around, written by someone who deeply cares about fantasy as a genre of fiction and authorial intent.

Dicehater-kun, get the fuck off to Veeky Forums already.

Does anybody remember some shithead having a meltdown here like a year ago, where he talked about how he hated magic because it has no rules, then described how his campaigns were all weird medieval things where people didn't fight anything but escaped lions and other people? I've been looking on the archives for weeks.

Last time we had this thread OP was asked for examples of fantasy stuff he liked an he linked his own novel he's written, laughs were had by all as you can imagine

Do you have a link to the original OP's book? I swear that it was similar to Legend of Five Rings, and OP insistend that it wasn't his as his didn't have a 'the' in the title.

Wait, something identical to that happened a few months ago. People confused his (probably non existant) novel with an upcoming book.

Was that the guy with the emperor kept alive by priests manipulating microscopic organisms that he swore wasn't magic? I remember some fag throwing a tantrum on here last year about Lord of the Rings being shit and his story being so much better and then he started going on about some pseudo-Asian/Indian shit.

>it sounds like you want to act like a pretentious cunt and bore the shit out of group with stuff you've read on wikipedia.
I know this OP is pasta but yeah, pretty much this. It's like when people want to do a 'political' campaign and you just know they started reading ASOIAF the week before or something.

Historical games can be fun but realistically the archetypes and their interplay are far less interesting than fantasy ones because roles tend to be more blurred, characters also tend to be more practical, grounded and frankly not as interesting normally. Your equipment is humdrum, the setting is well known and unsurprising, you really have to sell me on a historical campaign over a fantastical setting based on the real world, which gets all the bonuses of history plus all the bonuses of fantasy.

no, I don't remember that, this was the guy who had his campaigns about knights going to africa and fighting lions and crocodiles and shit

That sound fucking hilarious.

Well that's at least equally retarded as what I was thinking of.

Same thread.

I think there was an exchange along the lines of "Ok tell us about a fantasy story you do like" and OP said "(name of book)", which was then replied to with "Never heard of it m8" or something like that.

OP, in his infinite wisdom, clears it up for us:

">never heard of it"

"you will when I hear back from my publisher"

To be fair, there actually *were* Tigers at Cassino.

/thread
/internet

>this thread

>To be fair there were actually *WereTigers* at Cassino

Fix'd 4 u

>"YukaYuyu a best! Sanae is a slut!"

No.

"Secondaries" are one of the worst blights inflicted on Touhou in the Windows era, right next to Kancolle and doujinshi. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the players and ZUN alike. Any stupid shit secondaries want to do they justify with "head canon" Any unrealistic character ship or stupid pairings (fucking TERUMOKO) has them whining for doujinshi. They beg for speshul snowflake maids, talking foxes, and stupid ice faries to be playable on the pretense of "fanon." And on the flipside, written works with actual artistry and game research put in has them gets shit on as "boring."

I am sick and tired of coddled secondaries expecting that their opinions should have no consequences and that they should have a sexualized charcter there to bomb at all the spellcards and 1CC their games, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE GAME that they don't have to really really lose because ~its continues~!

I tried introducing /jp/ to this cool canon faithful fanfic idea I wanted to write last weekend so they could tell me their opinions this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.

>"I want RemiSaku!"
There are no /u/-pairings. There is only het.
>"I want Genji x Junko!"
There are no turtles on the Moon.

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a whole new board because every shitty ass 2hu fan nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like moe anime. Nobody expected to play as a half-ghost-half-human-dual-katana wielding dork in PC-98 era. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real canon and the unrealistic moe shit tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the hentai and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched games/plots. They think they're entitled to be Youkai instead of part of something bigger.

>"I wanna be a Char! I wanna pilot a Gundam!"

No.

"Gundam" is one of the worst blights inflicted on science fiction in the modern era, right next to TV and video games. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to hard sci-fi and naval battle fans alike. Any stupid shit your player wants to do they justify with "Gundam". Any unrealistic character shit or stupid weapons(fucking FUNNELS) has them whining for Gundams. They beg for speshul snowflake mechs, masked villains, and stupid mobile armors on the pretense of "Gundams". And on the flipside, science fiction with actual artistry and historical research put in has them gets shit on as "boring".

I am sick and tired of coddled Millenials expecting that their actions should have no consequences and that they should have a v-crested fucker there to one shot all the bad guys and look cool, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE WAR that they don't have to really really lose because ~muh Zeekwank~!

I tried introducing my players to this cool scientifically accurate colonial rebellion game I wanted to run last weekend so they could bring their characters this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.

>"I want my character to be a newtype!"
There are no newtypes. There are only normal humans.
>"I want to pilot a transformable mobile suit!"
There are no transformable mechs in real life.

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a new group because every shitty ass player nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like Gundam 00. Nobody expected to read about a magic-bullshit-powered-several-hundred-mile-laser-sword wielding understanding machine in Foundation. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real science fiction and the unrealistic anime tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the beam spam and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched settings/plots. They think they're entitled to be war heroes instead of part of something bigger.

Ran out of room somehow

Nobody wants to look through a bunch of spreadsheets to do space combat.

Ya know there is such a thing as historical RPG systems.

that thread was fucking amazing

>"I wanna be a knight! I wanna be a sharpshooter!"

No.

"Swadia" is one of the worst blights inflicted on Mount and Blace in multiplayer, right next to volges and bridge maps. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the Nords and melee factions alike Any stupid shit your player wants to do they justify with "Swadia" Any unrealistic character shit or stupid weapons (fucking SWORDS OF WAR) has them whining for Swadia They beg for speshul snowflake foods, talking feasts, and stupid kings on the pretense of "Swadia" And on the flipside, factions with actual artistry and historical research put in has them gets shit on as "boring."
I am sick and tired of coddled Millennials expecting that their actions should have no consequences and that they should have a fat fucker there to throw heavy cavalry at all the bad guys and feed all of them, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE GAME that they don't have to really really lose because ~its swadia~!
I tried introducing my server to this cool historical battle I wanted to run last weekend so they could bring their characters this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.
>"I want my character to be Harlaus!"
There are no Harlauses. There are only humans.
>"I want to be a knight!"
There are no knights in Jelkala.
It never fucking stops Now I have to find a whole new group because every shitty ass player nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like an arena battle. Nobody expected to see a plate armored dual great sword wielding sparkelord in the Sarranid Sultanate It should not be acceptable today either
There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real Mount and Blade and the unrealistic feast tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the two handed swords and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched factions They think they're entitled to be super knights instead of part of something bigger