Show up to game with male human fighter with a spear

>show up to game with male human fighter with a spear
>DM gives me a dirty look
>''you could have at least tried to make an interesting character''

Well?

Why didn't you try to make them an interesting character?

Like, fuck, dude. You didn't even make them a halfling fighter with a spear or something. Literally "male human fighter."

Is there any better way to tell your GM "I am not interested in your game and I have no desire to engage with it beyond the most superficial level?"

I mean it would be okay if you guys started at level 4.

"Why would I? we're playing OCR, I'll be rolling a couple of new ones in this session and a couple more in the next."

>mfw my DM is racist against humans
>mfw my DM is classist against martials

It's not my fault I don't want to be a special snowflake Saurian Nightblade/Mage Assassin/Death Dancer. Pathfinder was a mistake.

>Show up to game with male half-orc paladin
>DM gives me a dirty look
>"I told you already, we're playing maid RPG today"
>"I know"

there is nothing wrong with male human fighters. Not everyone is a special snowflake like you.

So you completely disregarded every fantasy aspect and tried to shove muh reelistik soldier into a setting where half-dragons wield magic against birdwomen. You deserve ridicule, you armchair Veeky Forums-wannabe army reject.

Did you give them a cool backstory and personality and stuff?

>Not everyone is a special snowflake like you.
kek

Nobody's asking you to play a half-aasimar dual-class monk-beastmaster or a drow elementalist with the fey racial template, dude.

There's an entire spectrum between special snowflake and Male Human Fighter. Put a little bit of effort into this shit. At the very least play a male human Paladin, show the GM you're willing to engage with the game on a level other than "fight stuff." Make a dwarf fighter. Make a halfling fighter. Make a human RANGER or something, ANYTHING, other than that shit. I don't care. This is literal "not-phoning-it-in" tier standards man.

see

See

In almost every rpg on the market, humans are the best designed for making mary sue bullshit.

The usually either cost less on a point buy, have better mechanical options for background building or can be from any fucking where not strictly uninhabitable to them and even then there are pockets of normal humans living there by some means.

That does sound like a basic bitch of a character, yeah.
At least throw some space madness in there or something.

I don't get it, a spear-using fighter is fairly interesting.

anyways punch him in the stomach and tell him to stop being a faggot

>Literally "male human fighter."
Anything wrong with it, Tumblrina?

Yeah, thete's nothing to it other than clas and race.

Yes. See

My next character is a Male Elf.

No class. Just Elf.

>human fighter
>Not dashing knight
>Not honorbound protector
>Not crotchety old spearman
>Not questing wanderer
>Not greedy mercenary
Shit character.

That is even worse!
What are ypu playing, old d&d?

>if you don't play the boringest class/race combo in the game you're Tumblr

Listen man, I get that your candatare won the election but if you go full retard before he's even sworn in the country will have gotten sick of it before midterms even swing around.

Worse, he is playing a classless system.

Almost all of those can be represented with a human fighter though. There isn't any class/race combo that CAN'T be interesting, at least in the latest edition.

What a waste of a classless system.
At least be a face or something

>My next character is an Elf.
>No class. No gender. Just Elf.

>all these people assuming that it's the class/race combo that makes a character interesting rather then the character itself

You missed the point super hard.
Literally all of those can be presented as male fighter with spear. It is just that more than 0 effort was put in.

Dick ass thief will always be boring and over done no mater the system.

Not any other thief variant, just the dickass ones. It was childish in the old days, worse now that we have people in their 40s and 50s doing it still.

fucking this.

I think it is more of the fact that we have someone who put next to no effort into their character(or shitpost) judging other people.

He said he showed up with a male human fighter with a spear. I would not allow this character in my game, mostly due to that seaming to be his defining qualities. If I do not have some more details or know anything else about them, I am not approving them.

>Not wanting to play a average man who lived an average life and can fight, but was thrust into exceptional events by unforeseen circumstances in his life
>Not wanting to earn the right be interesting through your own actions and deeds, and character development from events that happen in the campaign instead of before it.
>Not wanting to make his Character Arc "from Zero to Hero" or die trying.
>Think that class and race make for good substitutes for ability to roleplay and interesting character

You'd think There was a burst in the sewage pipes from all the people with shit taste here.

That's a character archetype, not a class/race combo. Any race can be a dick ass thief.

>Yet another plane jane pastless character
We have enough of this garbage already.
The only way you could be more bland is if you had amnesia too.

>my next character just exists
>no features

Best way to play

You can have a backstory but ultimately what matters are your actions in the story at hand.

>my next character won't exist
>i'm never playing a ttrpg again

I get it Scott.

Go ahead, make another male human thief that is nondescript. Just promise me you are going to do something else besides wander the streets at night or sit in the dark corners of bars while we do this dwarf clan politics game.

Sounds like a ton of one-page RPGs.

Sometimes you just get tired of backstories. Too much meatgrinder, too many shit groups ignoring it completely, too many failed game. GMs can get it tired of it too.

Still, a couple sentences about how they are today would be preferable.

>Not wanting to play a average man who lived an average life and can fight, but was thrust into exceptional events by unforeseen circumstances in his life
That's a very fun type of character to play. But if you just show up with "here's my character sheet I'm done with the number crunching" you don't even have an average life to fuck up with exceptional events, or a zero to hero with.

Veeky Forums - Counterculture & Reactionary Tabletop

Spear wielding male human fighters can be interesting characters too. A character is more than their race/class combo.

user, several of the people you quoted pointed out just class and race is not a good basis for character.
So not only do you have shit taste, you also apparently have trouble reading

>We have enough of this garbage already.
and we have enough amateur-hour plebs trying to make the next drizzt or elric before the game even starts

Someone who brings a plain-jane character is there for the adventure. Not to preen.

Okay, he's a gnome then. Still fights with a spear. Happy now?

Yeah.
Which is why ops character is shit, because it is not more than race and class.

>I want to be the mundane, unremarkable character in a party of heroic figures so I can stand out
>especially so my rise to power will seem all the cooler and thus be worthier of legacy compared to my peers

I hope you all know it's entirely possible to be That Guy on the opposite end of the Mary Sue spectrum. It's like the player who wants to be a potato merchant in a campaign of all demigods and have all his humble exploits be the center of attention.

>Make male human fighter specifically to poke fun at the stereotype
>Plan on fleshing him out into his own person or having him come to terms with his 'genericness'
>Due to outside circumstances, he turned into Evil Overlord Classic minus the princess kidnapping
S...Success?

Someone who brings a plain jane is there to drop in two sessions because the gm isnt writing his character for him well enough.
At least have some character traits.

I WANT TO CATHOLIC MARRY LINCOLN

It still isnt more than race/class. So no, not happy.

>character isn't an actual character, but a player's avatar
>earns any defining characteristics by whim of the dice or lolrandumb spell of the player
>"TEH BEST WAI TO PLAI OLDSKULL IS GOLD!"

No.

I don't care what you are, but coming to my table with nothing more than [race] [class] with [specialization within class] you can fuck right off. I don't even want a detailed backstory, and in fact please don't come with pages of shit you wrote.

But if you can't give me a better description of your character that doesn't include those meaningless keywords I'm done with you.

>Implying it's the posters who can't understand that class/race don't make a character, when it was OP in the first place who introduced his character as such

He could've written anything about his character. Personality, background, family, anything to show he's actually interested in roleplaying.

Instead, we get "with a spear", as if his particular weapon of choice should speak volumes for who his character is. And to me it does, since it shows he wants to be nameless rank and file #32 McBlandface, Trope-Subverting Everyman of the Mundane.

Which can definitely BECOME a good character, but as it stands it gives the DM very little to work with.

>class and race is not good enough

what more do you want? I just want to play the game.

What game?

As much as people love to fawn over "plane jane" characters becoming bigger than life heroes, they are basically never better than characters that actually have some fucking substance even before they start they the rise to fame and glory.

Gay gnome with a spear. There's a distinct possibility he's compensating for something. He likes beans (to eat) and goats (as pets). If he didn't pick up adventuring career he would be bean farmer.

We don't know that, he only told us the race/class combo. I think it's implied that there was more to his character than that but the DM overlooked it because he saw "male human fighter", otherwise he wouldn't have made this thread. Of course this is all moot considering the fact that op hasn't clarified this shit implies that this whole thread is just bait.

Now see, there's not a lot there, but it's enough to start.

What else can you tell us about your character?

Backstory? Personality? Motivation?

Did you convey any of these to your DM?

In defense of OP, there are some folks who just cannot handle making a character without fucking it up horribly. Sometimes mechanically, sometimes RP-wise, sometimes both at the same time.

I should know because that's basically me.

the one that will take me to my end

Why don't we break this down a bit?

First, it's a human; one can shout "special snowflake" until they turn blue in the face, but humans are fucking boring in any setting where they are not the only sentient race. I get it, some character concepts work better when you can easily relate with the character, but similar to the line of thought that the more freaks you have in your lineage the more complex you are as a character, picking a human just to relate to them is taking a cheap and meaningless shortcut that undersells a concept.

Second, it's a fighter. This tells me it's Dungeons and Dragons. And throughout the entirety of Dungeons and Dragons the fighter has had exactly one job; smack thing with beat stick until it's dead. The class itself serves literally no purpose beyond that. The fighter is for players to show up and dick off for 90% of the campaign until it's time to roll dice to make things die, because that is the only thing fighters can do. If you wanted to beat shit up, you could have at least been a paladin or barbarian, both of which have actual class features beyond beating shit with a stick, and present actual roleplay opportunities beyond being the most generic template for "guy with weapon" to have ever existed.

Third, it's a male. Under 99.9% of circumstances this is a non-issue because who the fuck cares, but when the rest of the character is THAT fucking uninspired the least you could do is shoot for even a superficial attempt at sticking out. And yes, as one of the main characters you are supposed to stick out.

Of course, this all comes with a big fat "Depends on the Setting™", but I write this operating under the assumption that you're playing the standard Not!LoTR setting that pervades tabletop. Don't think my autism stops there either, I could write entire essays on why your post is at least mildly retarded.

Oh I see. You want to be the super special main character.

I assume we are getting the same sell his gm got.
Which was none.

Better.
Now i can hold goats hostage or fuck with your beans.

Yeah, part of me wonders why Fighters have basically no class features in a game that's allegedly designed so you can do cool stuff. I always took it to mean that the DM was supposed to let you do stuff not listed in the rules, but that sort of falls apart in 3.5 and their ilk. I'd honestly, no joke, rather play martial characters in BESM than in Dungeons and Dragons.
>This person loves something
>It must be destroyed
I know that's exactly how a villain is supposed to think, but as a DM, you could at least give your players the chance to appreciate their character's traits by, say, giving them a change to find a fellow enthusiast or sympathizer as an ally.

How about a female half-orc dual class paladin warlock who suffers from dual personality disorder and was raised by goblins?
Is that unique enough?

Well be honest, did you?
background, hobbies, friend's, Family?

If you are the one completely average guy in a group of extraordinary individuals YOU are the special one, and I think on some level you know that.

user, they get more goats out of the deal if they rescue the goats.
And the beansbare fucked with, not destroyed.

You have exactly one character trait that isnt entirely setting reliant.
Workable, but you chose a rather bad trait given the difficulty to portray and its overuse in soap operas

I call this the wookie rule.
Every group of normals needs one wookie. Vice versa, every group of wookies needs at leadt one normal.

This makes wonderful character dynamics. One of the examples i like more is farscape.

>Show with anything that isn't a axe and board dwarf, archer elf ranger or wizard and mace and board human cleric
>"Get out of here and bring your mary sue char with you"

I find that if there's more than one of the 'odd one out', then one of them eventually dies, leaves, or changes. It's uncanny.

Strangely now I want to do it
>Now Introducing the Just-us Fighters
>Murderrella; the shape-shifting cat princess
>Robospooktron; the Time travailing robot ghost
>Shadow Mc Raven Cloud; The Dark sorcerer, with a troubled past.
And Steve; the middle aged, office clerk.

He's right, you could have chosen a good weapon instead

>tra·vail
>trəˈvāl,ˈtravˌāl/Submit
>literary
>verb
>gerund or present participle: travailing
>engage in painful or laborious effort.
>(of a woman) be in labor.
The robot ghost is giving birth to time?
I think they made an anime or video game about that.

Unless your plan was to fuck as many monstergirls as possible before you die, playing a Human is a bitch move in any fantasy game. I honestly wish more games would just remove them and force people to make an actual decision for their character.

there is literally nothing more intrisically interesting in elf, dwarf, half-orc, whatever, than a human, mate. Unless you HAVE special snowflake mentality, who thinks that to make character interesting, it must be WOLOLO DIFFERENT. Except there are more interesting ways to make characters different than pickung non-human race, which is just entry tier. And differentiating characters isn't a value in itself either, well played "classic trope" may be as fun for both his player and everyone else at the table.
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with playing elf or dwarf, but there is also nothing better in it than with playing humans.
But you think there is, and that makes you wannabe snowflake. Because you think that making something "different" and on lowest possible level, does make it better by definition. Which is 100% snowflakist bulshit, even if the "difference" you're talking about is relatively mild.

That sort of thing's been done, and done just as cringily as Sue Mary the Half-Angel Priestess of the Dark Light.

Yes.
You cant have more than one odd one out unless -everyone- is an odd one out in their own way.
I have not named this effect yet.

The fighter is a relic from an era where being able to kill shit was a unique class feature. It is a template class meant to cover a wide range of concepts from men-at-arms to cavaliers to bandits, brawlers, and samurai. Being so broad of a class means it lacks the focus to TRULY fulfill these roles beyond their most basic level (i.e. hitting shit with a pointy stick). Nowadays the bandit would probably be a Barbarian or Rogue-variant, the tavern-brawler would probably play as a Monk sans the whole ascetic aspect (or better yet, working asceticism into barfights somehow), and the knight would probably roll with some flavor of paladin.

Same reason I think humans are shit, they're a blank canvas that you can project most basic concepts onto, and because of this lack the impact another race might have.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being the odd man out, but I think your example is lacking. Chewbacca was actually pretty normal beyond being REALLY hairy, if anything Luke was the odd one because he was the only psychic space-wizard in a group of muggles. Which is fine because he's the focal point of the story. In a co-operative medium like tabletop, Jake the Peasant in a party with a Wizard, Barbarian, and Druid is going to hog all the attention with his utter pointlessness in the same manner that Aetherius Demondust the Half Tiefling Half Aasimar Sorcerer from another dimension will.

Aren't there better ways to define a character than just race and class? Character's background, pet, clothes, injuries, trinkets, personality, name, or anything else...

Yes, that's why 5e has the Background and Traits/Flaws/Bonds/Ideals as a choice past your race and class in the first place.

I don't think it was because he was a male human fighter OP
I think it was because he probably didn't have an interesting character.

Or you just made it up. Either way, this OP is a turbofag

Cu Chulain is a caster though.

Actually things that are different are intrinsically more interesting. It is a fundamental part of humanity to think this way.

Better or not is up to interperetation, but nithing peaks interest quite like one knife in a pile of spoons.

Okay, i'll be more generic but still attempt to be interesting
Human barbarian with a huge axe and short temper. Really hates non humans, talks in hulk speak, has superhuman strength.
Is that alright or is the DM going to be upset because i picked human?

Non-human races are of no value unless they think and behave in alien ways like the Fair Folk.

yes, that is exactly what I intended, and I in no way mashed travelling and transcending into one word. Pausing only to let the spell-checker sort out the mess

I know, It just tickled me.

Maybe he wants to play an average guy.

It's the actions during campaign that matter, not the hundred injuries and comrade deaths in a character's life.

Back-story is a red-flag on bad characters.

sure thing, HORDOR!

Play what you want to play.

Nah, DM's not upset you picked human.
Unless you, like, always pick human. Then you may want to vary it up occasionally.

>They lack the impact another race might have
I find this fixes itself if the human emphasizes their culture. Like, Conan is Cimmerian, which means he fucking hates tricky 'civilized' folk who use law ans order as excuses to be sneaky douchebags hiding behind politeness.

Then give a backstory to explain that he is an average guy.

"average" and "blank slate" are way different. One is human, and has likes, dislikes, friends, a hometown, etcetera.

The other is some kind of gameplay artifact that was just created five minutes before meeting the group out of an adventurer egg.

FUCK ALL YALL I WANT TO PLAY THE ALIEN DOCTOR THAT DOESN'T KNOW HUMAN SHIT AT ALL

I WANT TO PLAY A ROBUT THAT IS ALL ABOUT HEROIC ADVENTURES AND ALSO EXTERMINATION OF ONE SPECIFIC RACE

I WANT TO PLAY A TREE MAN THAT IS SICK OF ALL THESE FUCKING SAPLINGS AND THEIR WAYS AND IS GOING TO GO MOVE IN WITH THE HUMANS

I WANT TO PLAY A SENTIENT GASCLOUD TOURIST ENJOYING ALL THE EXOTIC SOLID LIFE

I WANT TO PLAY A LOT OF THINGS.

Are you waiting for the rain?

And basically everything else that's not a Saber. Dude's got range.