/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Curses edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Shoulderwatching U
Enchantment- Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Whenever enchanted player draws a card, each other player scrys 1.

Dom's Touch 2R
Enchantment- Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Whenever enchanted player casts a spell, any player may pay 1. If they do, ~ deals 1 damage to enchanted player.

And not a curse, but silliness

Lone Sigil W
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has first strike.
U: Exile enchanted creature, then return it to the battlefield.

Blood Summons GGG
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant Creature
Whenever enchanted creature dies, you may search your library for up to three creature cards with the same name and put them into your hand.

Yeah, that's me. I don't think I've had anyone associate me with that set before exclusively. It's probably my worst foray into setbuilding, so that's not really my favorite thing to be remembered by. Oh well.

Don't worry user; we're all faggots here.

I will never live that shitshow down, I guess.

So... do I want to work on my set or just derp around with singles tonight... hmm. First world problems, man. Red's close to "done" being prototyped so I guess I'll try to get the last three or so cards in order and move on to green. My weakest color. Yay.

>Shoulderwatching
I get the vibe from the name that you'd get to peep each draw the cursed player makes. Honestly I think this is a bit too good. Scry 1 ain't much, but even fixing your top card repeatedly, for free, and with 100% certainty, is kinda nice. Might just need to be 1U.

>Dom's
"if that player does" Otherwise, seems okay. Maybe a bit weak? I recall there was a damage amping curse in red at 1R or 2R already... I'd have to go check.

>Sigil
I actually like this. Has sort of a Totem Armor feel to it.

>Summons
I feel like turning any creature into Squadron Hawk on death is cool, but not GGG cool. Though I can understand the want to keep it harder to cast, I suppose.

Just kill yourself, dude.

I'll get right on that my man.

>Shoulderwatching
Yeah, but just looking at the draws is boring, and there's already telepathy. I was figuring for big multiplayer games for primary shenanigan.
>Dom's
Thanks, again a big multiplayer thing. "How'd you like to fuck this guy over whenever he does anything?"
>Sigil
I suppose I could make both activations white, but I like to cross occasionally.
>Summons
It's a little bit of setup, but it's still draw three threats. Maybe bump it up with Flash or the like? And of course I forgot the shuffle clause.

>shoulderwatching
That's fine, I mean its your card. I am just curious if so much scry is okay for just one mana is all.
>Sigil
Nah making it blue is more interesting overall. Though blue usually exiles then returns at the end step, if I recall.
>Summons
Hmm. I'm just worrying about playability mostly. GGG is hard for anything other than monogreen to cast, so it really limits the card overall. I'd rather see it overcosted but castable in more situations than cheap and hard to use.

I have no creativity for curses.

I get that it's expensive due to counter doubling/proliferate and all that, but still, 2BBB feels really steep for this, considering how many counters it needs. It's basically useless unless you have some way to ramp it up, but if you reduce the number of counters you need, then it becomes too easy to ramp it. Conundrum. I guess make it cheaper/easier to cast? I mean look at those cards that make you win the game if you meet a requirement; like Epic Struggle. Four mana, and twenty creatures really isn't that hard to get, all told. I think this could be 4B or 2BB no sweat, to start. Then, you just need to tweak the number of counters it needs to go off.

>not Doom of Damocles

"attacked with a creature" according to Angelic Arbiter, but other than that, just as unfun as the original, only less calories.

Is this the correct wording for this effect?

"If you or a creature you control would take damage for the first time in a turn, prevent 1 of that damage."

The idea is basically like Kira, except for damage.

Hm, something like this would be a better version of Absorb, so I already like it.

I want to say maybe "Whenever you or a creature you control would be dealt damage by a source for the first time each turn, prevent 1 of that damage." A cross between the Absorb reminder text and Kira's ability. I think it'd be "Whenever" and not "if" because "if" implies a static replacement effect, and this doesn't do that. I could be wrong though.

If you or a creature you control would be dealt damage for the first time each turn, prevent 1 of that damage. I believe.

Prevention is a replacement effect otherwise you'd be going back and retroactively removing damage.

Thanks for the correction. I defaulted to Kira because it wasn't static, but now I know not to do that.

Curse of the Scales makes me think of dragons and lizards. Otherwise, not bad.

This is both too slow and too boring. You cast it then just defend and counter any enchantment removal until your opponent kills himself. Unlike nearly all other instant-win cards, you don't have to build anything other than a standard control deck.

Shoulderwatching is too cheap. Dom's Touch is too expensive.

This feels too oppressive. Even just one of the abilities would probably be fine.

- ART CHALLENGE -
Design a card using this art by Jason Nguyen.

Slowly moving forward. I have some black commons for you guys to take a look at! Let me know what you think.

>CB04
You're still using Skulk, really? Anyway, I feel like the Green ability should only be activated once each turn, since that tends to be how Green likes doing big pumps.

>CB05
Nice.

>CB06
Not sure about Lifelink. I get that it's there to offset the downside of the ETB ability, but then it just makes me ask why the downside exists in the first place. And considering you're probably going to get at least one hit out of it, you might even be able to just get away with making it draw one card and you lose one life.

>CB11
This is just a nitpick, but I feel like this should have different art.

>CB12
Why can't you just use Damnable Pact?
>Because it's not common.
Fair enough, but I don't think this is either. So many of the B draw-lose effects are printed at uncommon or above (two i/s cards one of which was originally uncommon), just having the extra modes I think should bump this up. Actually, now that I think about it, some sort of B card draw with Convoke might be good enough to make a card or two out of.

>CB14
Why is this an aura? Like, if it were something like
>Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Eye you control.
I could see it. Though on the other hand, unsure if that would be common material.

Serious question: Are you on the spectrum?

Name is crap I know.

>You're still using Skulk, really?
Yeah. I used it in the first set, so I feel like I need to finish out the block with it.
>I feel like the Green ability should only be activated once each turn
At six mana, I don't think that's a large concern, already being cost prohibitive. The "once per turn" pump isn't a hard-and-fast rule anyway, looking at Quilled Wolf.
>CB12
I made Damnable Pact a reprint in the first set, actually. As for complexity, even with the large number of modes, each mode does nearly the same thing, which simplifies it in my mind. Or would you suggest simplifying it further?
>Convoke/card draw
Definitely an avenue I plan on exploring.
>CB14
Making this an aura makes it less difficult to remove and plays into the flavor of the card. So, I chose to do so for balance and flavor reasons.
>Lady Shiva
Why "another"? Even with prowess, she feels more WB than WR. Especially with that destroy clause.

>Quilled Wolf
Eh, OK.

>complexity
Could just be me. But my point about this effect rarely being at common on spells is still valid (though I did overlook Live Fast and Sign in Blood), even if you simplified it. Though that might be a power level thing, like how common creature destruction is either restricted or overcosted.

>CB14
Fair enough, but still, not doing anything at all for the enchanted creature kinda bugs me. Not even a +1/+1 buff?

>Lady Shiva
Another is a bugfix from a previous version which I overlooked, thanks. As for the colors, I don't feel like WB should get Prowess. Maybe another tri-color card? I was also thinking about making it so that if damage from a noncreature source is prevented, Shiva deals damage equal to its power to the source's controller. Is that a good or bad idea?

Forbidden Knowledge is really neat.

Perpetual pledge is overcosted.

Unearth Auras are cool. Retribution of Bau is too cheap at common given the 2-for-1 potential.

Worshipped One neither looks like an eye or looks like it can fly.

Find some other way to balance Osari's Favor or make it usable as an Aura rather than an easy to remove enchantment.

You have a lot of card advantage in black so far.

discards/sacrifices one or more? Liliana's Caress/Megrim says 2 damage for each discard is okay.

This seems way too bad when compared to Dark Prophecy.

So what, the idea is that this is better in a lower mana cost, more aggressive deck?

My entry.

I wish I had a more coherent reason for my distaste of twobrid mana other than "it looks ugly."
It seems like a cheap way to allow you to trigger mana-matters cards, in the same way that Devoid was a cheap way to do colorless cards. Well, not nearly as bad as Devoid.

I would make CB04 a 1/2 or a 1/3 or something. It's garbage as is.

I think this needs a downside so that it's not so much better than Swerve and similar. Perhaps something if you lose flips?

New version of Shiva. Added B to the cost, Haste, and if damage from a noncreature is prevented, Shiva smacks the controller. Again, flavor is supposed to be unbeatable martial artist.

>~ gets +1/+0 for each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard.

You're both right.
and/or

Funny how both were printed in the same set with different wordings.

This is different because it's checking to see if they combine to pass a number. should be used as a template.

Fucking why?

Asking for a total is different from asking for individual cards.

>all that armor and size
>1 toughness

Pretty solid, I like how he can work well in a non-Mill deck for drafts, since Blue and Black usually gets usable instants and sorceries.

How about a delay curse? Something like this.

2UU
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Whenever enchanted player casts a spell, counter that spell. If the spell is countered this way, exile it with one time counter on it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. (At the beginning of its owner's upkeep, remove a time counter from that card. When the last is removed, the player plays it without paying its mana cost. If it's a creature, it has haste.)

Well, it not only delays a player for a turn, but basically kills any kind of counters and combat tricks that player may have.

I don't make my own arts, I just use what is available

The noncreature source bit is never going to come up.

Well it's an infinite loop under that wording, so it needs to specify from the hand.

Oh word.

I'll up the cost to make it fairer?

3UU
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Whenever enchanted player casts a spell from his or her hand, counter that spell. If the spell is countered this way, exile it with one time counter on it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. (At the beginning of its owner's upkeep, remove a time counter from that card. When the last is removed, the player plays it without paying its mana cost. If it's a creature, it has haste.)

Uh, why not?

He's wrong, because mass damage exists, but otherwise you wouldn't target this with damage.

Unless with redirect?

if you lose the flips, the opponent gets a copy

Not good enough for the cost. Doesn't even have haste. Make it stronger.

So, other than the noncreature bit not being relevant most of the time, which I'm OK with, it's good? Sorry, but the tenth iteration is about the time where I start getting antsy.

The way manifest is written, it can't happen from your hand. This would have to be templated as "exile a card from your hand face down, then manifest that card."

Doesn't seem very good. For one, having Dethrone doesn't matter if the cursed player doesn't huge the largest life total.

Interesting, though I'm afraid it could be too oppressive. Being able to use it on yourself, out of desperation perhaps, seems cool too

Hey, all Sliver activated abilities only cost generic mana, right?

Name could use some work.

Too strong as well, as they only have the turn to do anything.

I'd suggest them having to pay an additional {X} and enter with that many counters and then possibly ditch the haste.

Needs to have partner so you can run it with the donald

Combined with cards that makes creatures etb tapped, it basically stops the player from having any board presence at all.

Arguably fine at rare but really dull. 3G would make it fine at uncommon, 2G might be pushing it.

Not the guy who made it but I think the idea was to make a manadork who can be dropped on turn one after using a fetch.

>You gain X life for each color of mana spent to cast ~, where X is the number of colors of mana spent to cast ~.

Oh hey, at least now it hits the bar for shitty rares.

Make the Kicker cost a Dash cost for 2RRR instead. Just seems more natural.

I like this, but I feel like with as many "at the beginning of your upkeep" Enchantments as there are, it could use a different sac timing.

Been playing around with a black partner-meld and finally have a version that im kind of happy with. opinions?

Stop making cards. Sincerely, everyone.

Alyndra:
>Whenever you sacrifice a creature, each opponent sacrifices a creature.
Doesn't have to be "would" because it's not a replacement effect.

>#butthurt

Thanks, I'll switch the wording around

Only being able to sac a paired creature is one of the worst design choices that I have ever seen. It's just so ridiculously restrictive. Also, mono-Black Hexproof? Seriously? No, Slyblade doesn't count.

Messing around with some ideas I had at work today. I'm actually not sure how to word this; a look at the comp rules says this might be it?

I'm just not the hugest fan of Meld, to be honest. And I'd actually just use Alyndra on her own, since that mirrored sac ability is awesome in the right engine. I think that's why I don't care for this so much; I like one of the pieces better than the whole, so to speak. I also don't really know much about balancing Meld cards, but this seems like it's not overpowered or anything.

Not bad. Alternate cost seems okay, depending. Red tends not to care past the fourth land, so this really shines late-game.

I'm guessing the ability is to "force" a block, Browbeat style. Thing is, it might play poorly if your opponent has an empty board, since then you have to put that on one of your own creatures. I guess red gets drawbacks like that, and I actually like them, but a lot of new players, and many players in general, might not.

D'oh. OH BOY I MADE UNDYING. At least I costed the damn thing correctly.

>Armsmaster
Arms? Oh, I think she's a master of something else entirely.

Anyway, as points out, the ability to make all Equips instant-speed is so cheap there's not much point to just restricting it to her like this. That said, I think better wording would be something like
>You may activate equip abilities that target ~ any time you could cast an instant.
Maybe, since you have to choose targets before activation.

I think it's strange the ability is so cheap; the fact that you can strap Cranial Plating to things at instant speed is HUGE, so giving it to every Equipment you have feels really big, but I guess I'm just bad at judging these things. I just changed the wording to the Leonin and called it a day.

>Bluebird
See, I'd normally think that second ability was super-strong, but now I've learned otherwise. Kinda frustrating to learn how wrong you are sometimes.

>the fact that you can strap Cranial Plating to things at instant speed is HUGE
Except that's a three-card combo. You need the Shikari, the Plating, AND a creature with toughness 1 in order for that to go off. And this is kinda why messing with Equipment can be so cheap, it's rarely a threat by itself. Think about it, outside of Living Weapon, is there any Equipment that is immediately threatening to see enter the battlefield by itself if its controller also has no creatures? It doesn't really happen with Auras because they're designed under the idea that they don't get moved around, but even the few times we see the ability to attach it to something else, it's cheap. Because like Equipment, Auras aren't really threatening in and of themselves. They're always part of a combo.

Cranial Plating can be attached at instant speed without the Shikari (it just makes it cheaper), which is what I was talking about, but that doesn't change the fact that you're right. Your collage there tells me I also need to get better at expanding my search parameters when looking for examples of things I think I'm "inventing".

Speaking of Equipment and Auras, this is something else I dreamt up. I think the main issue is it's just too narrow, and really only would probably play well in Limited where Auras are way more common. I may have costed it a bit cheaply, but I figure these are the three colors it'd show up in.

>Cranial Plating can be attached at instant speed without the Shikari (it just makes it cheaper)
What? I'm gonna need you to explain this to me.

Cranial Plating has it's own instant speed equip ability. You're thinking of skullclamp

Oh, duh, right. Well, for the Plating, it's another card that was designed to be part of a cycle and is of a much higher power level than all the others. Frankly, I think it was a goof on WotC's part of putting it into a cycle by giving it the ability without really thinking it through.

But anyway, yeah, not entirely sure on Pilfer. Could be fun in limited, right, but outside that, dunno.

>search parameters
Unfortunately, yes, finding everything means having broad parameters. I got those cards (I knew of them all beforehand but couldn't recall them off the top of my head) by just searching for literally everything that said "equip" that wasn't an Equipment. And there were a lot of things I wasn't looking for too, most of them were things I wasn't looking for, but that's part of finding the right Oracle text.

>Speaking of Equipment and Auras
Ditto. I'm not entirely sure why, but I really like the idea of making Amazons Equipment and Aura-focused. Yeah, Artemis doesn't deal with Auras, but many of the other cards do.

I just don't think of widening my searches very often. Probably not the best negative quirk to have as a cardmaker.

>pilfer
I considered adding +1/+1 counter theft too but that would make the reminder text a novel.

>Artemis
Equipment Fling seems fun enough.