Why are there so few fantasy settings that aren't fantasy Europe or Japan...

Why are there so few fantasy settings that aren't fantasy Europe or Japan? There's an occasional Arabia in the background of Europe, but it's always fantasy England, Germany, or Japan that the action takes place in.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.at/search?q=US history books&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRgajch6bQAhUENxQKHfqEDNUQ_AUICCgB&biw=1600&bih=773
youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

People write what they know, and most fantasy writers are from Europe or North America.

First post best post. People don't write much about fantasy China because those that have the narrative capability to do so don't know enough about actual China to create a convincing facsimile. You have to do outside research on shit like that, and that takes time.

There is fantasy Norse, Egypt and Greek.

>North America

Have you ever heard of fantasy set in around the time white colonists first arrived on the continent? I don't think this one is really all that accurate except if we're discussing Urban Fantasy.

Fantasy Africa is always the worst.

Because nobody knows shit about Africa.

Although Scandinavian Fantasy can be neat. It mirrors European Fantasy without being a direct clone and avoids going full Norse.

Because other demographics don't write nearly as much fantasy.

In English, anyway

Chinese have their own fantasy genre, you just never read any.

Because Europe is a more interesting setting than other settings.

Weaboos are a sizeable minority

I would think that background to be boring, but then that comic comes to mind..it was like first colonists meets mythos in ancient america.
I dubt I ll remember the name sadly.

>Why are so many fantasy settings based on the most well-known legends and myths in the West?
There's this thing inside your skull, it's called a brain. Try using it next time. Seriously, name me ten different mythical or legendary characters from Europe. Now name ten from South America, pre-colonial Noeth America, or sub-Saharan Africa. Having trouble?

>Why Won't RPG Companies Spoonfeed Me?

Jade Empire would have been such a fantastic setting for a tRPG. It's Bridge of Birds meets King Arthur with a mote of Fullmetal Alchemist thrown in.

>Have you ever heard of fantasy set in around the time white colonists first arrived on the continent?

google.at/search?q=US history books&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRgajch6bQAhUENxQKHfqEDNUQ_AUICCgB&biw=1600&bih=773

Plenty of those around.

Most non-European fantasy is made outside of Western Europe and is often not translated in English.
Witcher became popular, Semyonova`s Wolfhound has not.
There is probably a lot of stuff about Three Kingdoms in China, that i don`t know about.
We know plenty of Jap fantasy from animu (Princess Mononoke? Other, more obscure works?), but few think about running games in these settings.

TLDR - there are plenty, but people generally prefer another Tolkien rehash.

>B'AWWWW WHERES MY PEOPLE OF COLOR

Gee fucking wizz its almost like cultures tend to discuss and create heritage of their own cultures as a focus.

South America colonist fantasy is good stuff.

All of those genres exist, you're just an illiterate mong that can't read other languages besides English and the market for translated fantasy is really just insular to Europe.

Chinese fantasy/scifi is an enormous genre onto itself and it's just now started to have works translated by a few people like Ken Liu, who writes Asian-themed scifi/fantasy in English.

>Ken Liu
is it good?

>Implying that trying to gain an edge in the market is bad

Well, there is this guy who came into existence with the first game o fD&D at Lake Geneva, who never stopped and has acquired a limited form of omnipresence.
He always play dwarf fighter with a beard, a bad Scottish accent, an axe, a big nondescript armour that he never leaves, his entire roleplaying is drinking beer, hitting people with his axe and saying thing like "och, by Odin's beard ! ".
it's his character, he always plays it, he only plays it.
He could just be playing in dwarf in any D&D table anywhere, but he insists that he is a fine connoisseur of Role-Playing Games so he goes try each of them, but still always play a dwarf fighter with a beard, an axe, an armour, a Scottish accent and pseudo-scandinavian trappings. if he can't play his dwarf in any way or shape, he materializes in every forum, magazines and other places of criticism and start insulting the game with the appropriate insult for the medium : this RPG is too fluffy, too complex, it lack verisimilitude, it has a long tail, it's insensitive, it's SJW... any way, he ruins your game.
So, to accommodate this guy, your setting requires existent extensive metalworking to allow him to have an axe and an armour, people with wavy hair and pilosity to allow his beard, an Odin to swear by, a Scotland to take his accent from, an large network of inns and taverns all brewing alcohol from barley that has to ben extent culture produced in enough excess to permit the production of enough beer to allow him to ask a beer and drink beer and say "och, I like drinking beer ! " every where he goes..

This kind of limit the kind of setting you can build around this guy and his dwarf. But you wouldn't want your game to be said to be a SJW game, right ?

>Helldorado
Sounds cheesy and fun

>writers are less familiar with non-European/Japanese themed settings
>the market doesn't demand non-European/Japanese themed settings.
>non-European/Japanese settings are produced but not translated into English (see above point).

youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Goddammit, I just want Master Li and Number Ten Ox to be less obscure!
Also...OP knew that his pic was Fantasy-China and not Fantasy-Japan, right? Like, I assume he was aware, but then again, he might've derped it up.

Wasn't the Closed Fist/Open Hand thing poorly implemented?
Like it was supposed to be something more than just good and evil.

>Implying catering to a niche audience is profitable

I assume miscommunication/debate amongst the people making it, since a lot of little things about it seem like they were done because somebody involved really wanted to just be making another Star Wars game. (See also: Random people speaking gibberish. Like, they try to pawn it off as Mandarin vs Cantonese, but it just feels like Star Wars alien talk.)
Honestly, the ending bits felt rushed, too, but even with the flaws, it was really fun. Moreso than several more recent Bioware efforts.