Is the fantasy and science fiction genre dead?

Is the fantasy and science fiction genre dead?

Nope.
Pratchett and C.Clarke are.

No.
not dead, you just aren't looking if you can't find any.

>WAA ALL FANTASY STORIES PEAKED AT THE EXACT TIME I WAS MOST EMOTIONALLY SUSCEPTABLE TO NEW THINGS

no

No, they've just exhausted the current set of popular tropes.

The genre has been dead before, during the time after the age of Burroughs and Lovecraft but before the age of Howard, Asimov, and Tolkien.

There will be a bit of downtime in the genre, then we'll see the start of a new set of epic fantasy/sci-fi franchises with a different set of themes.

Nah

Yeah, usually the same themes and plots in most stories. Tolkien ended fantasy. I really can't imagine how the fantasy genre can squeeze anything else

>Science fiction was dead in 1818 but the publishing of the novel frankenstein brought it back to life

>all celebrities who "die" have really been travelling to the off world colonies.
>Their rate of departure has been increasing

>the rosicrucian society is really a group of inter-universal travellers, they pass their society's True Name across universes first, and when the name becomes widely known about they can cross over physically

>I ATEN'T DEAD

So long as we discover things that could change each of our lives, and keep longing for things everyday life can't supply, it will never die.

Dunno, I think the Expanse is pretty good.

>science fiction
God, I hope so.
It's awful and the last sci-fi writer worth a damn was Lem.

I think it is in a postmodern state that is overly analytical about itself. It's too obsessed with worldbuilding and magic systems at the neglect of more substantial matter such as myth and symbolism. This is why Tolkein has yet to be topped.

Maybe I'm a retard, but what's the difference between myth and world-building?

The mytho-poetic represents the spirit of a people in a specific historic context and usually emphasizes philosophical questions of 'what is a hero', 'why do the gods permit/cause evil' and 'how does/can a man be virtuous in a world filled with strife.

World-building tends to focus on the historical material context in which societies exist- cultural traditions, religions, economic traits, described in a more analytical fashion.

I think both are necessary; since without myth a detailed world is soulless and not a place where heroic PCs can dwell meaningfully; and without world building the players born in a modern society can never hope to immerse themselves in a mythic mindset belonging to another world.

Also Vancian magic 'lolsciencemetagame' wizardry ruins everything.

I think you possibly have too narrow a focus. Read 'three moments of an explosion' or 'the vorrh' for two modern examples of something excellent

To clarify I'm not I wouldn't say you can't make good stuff that isn't in accordance with the mythic; but I think it's pretty important if we're comparing to Tolkien fantasy or mythology.

You can write a modern fantasy setting (by modern I mean with thematics drawn from the enlightenment forward rather than antiquity), and make something awesome.

Would enjoy writing a medieval fantasy game based on Kafkaesque alienation and confusion in an extremely bureaucratized society run by the mages guilds.

What makes you say this?

possibly

fantasy is at its core mythical medieval europe. this core has been explored extensively. beyond that there is a lot of creative space still but it's not as commercially viable.
sci-fi has lost most of its overzealous optimism because realities are what they are.

in the end both are just backdrops for stories.

Yes user, speculative fiction is dead. Go away now and never look back, it's not worth your time.