January MTG Banned List predictions thread, go:

January MTG Banned List predictions thread, go:

Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/pauper-banned-list-change-2016-11-03
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Modern: Golgari Grave-Troll is banned. Become Immense is banned. Batterskull is banned. Jace, the Mind Sculptor is unbanned. Stoneforge Mystic is unbanned. Bloodbraid Elf is unbanned.

Legacy: Mind Twist is unbanned. Earthcraft is unbanned.

Vintage: Gush is restricted.

LOL banned Batterskull git gud. And you can't bring back both Jace and SFM, it has to be one or the other. And stop whining about Dredge and Infect. Here's what should ACTUALLY happen:

Modern: Nothing banned, BBE and SFM unbanned. No changes to any othe format.

No ban changes
>What I want
Inkmoth Nexus, Glistener elf, and Lilliana of the veil banned.
Punishing fire and preordain unbanned.
Jitte unbanned

I'm glad Veeky Forums is not in charge of this.

JtMS is honestly the only thing worth changing and there is a fair argument to leave him banned since it would put a brainstorm-esque effect in modern, but lightning bolt is a thing...

For once these predictions are correct. Jace WILL be on the banlist in january

I agree with you on keeping jace banned but you haven't adressed any of the issues with the infect bans, jund bans, or dredge bans.
I agree dredge bans are retarded though as the deck is only type 1 if no one side boards for it.

artifact lands unbaned

Modern is unsuppprted
No bans or unbans

If they're smart they'll ban Become Immense and everything that makes Dredge playable and unban JTMS. But since we're talking about WOTC they'll do nothing or only ban mom hug at best.

Baghdad is unbanned.

ALLAH AKBAR

STANDARD
>No changes.

MODERN
>Unbans; Jace, the Mind Scluptor and Blood Braid Elf
>Bans; Inkmoth Nexus

LEGACY
>No changes.

VINTAGE
>No changes.

FRONTIER
>Bans; Dig Through Time, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

i dunno about vryns prodigy ensoul seems to be emerging as a major deck and jace just cant keep up with that

>Modern: Golgari Grave-Troll is banned. Become Immense is banned
Tha'ts when i realized you were a shitter.
JTMS is only banned because he would be the best win condition for control and would make any new planeswalker useless in modern, thus sellin less lottery tickets. he is worth unban, and SFM-BBE too
Frontierfags detected, no surprise why they can't win against infect

My predictions
>Anything remotely interesting or useful.

>Jace should be unbanned

can someone explain why

>Unbans Jace
>Bans Become Immense
u wot m8?

To give blue decks a source of card advantage that's also a wincon to mix up the Nahiri Blood Moon+Chalice "control" lists clowning free wins vs hyperlinear turn 3 kills -meta.

Bans: None.

Unbans: SFM.

New category added called 'Watchlist,' being cards that WotC will keep an eye on and ban if the decks they support continue to be oppressive: Golgari Grave-Troll, Become Immense

>All that butthurt about infect and lily
People like you are cancer

As for my list
>Unban Stoneforge if batterskull is restricted
>Ban None

>Memedern players can't handle dredge
Kys asap

I actually think Dredge is fine, people just don't want to admit it's finally a good deck. And it's easier to hate out than most other decks in Modern. The only reason why I suggested the 'Watchlist' thing was to provide a way for WotC to give players and the secondary market a warning before banning a deck out of the format, like they did to Pod and Twin.

Pod was banned by pro-tour reasons, and twin was banned so they could sell more eldrazi, they don't care about your "investments" in fact big Stores aka star of David games and channel jewball do more money when your deck is banned and you have to buy a new one

>go to GP Rotterdam
>join a Modern side event
>haven't played for three months
>r1 vs infect
>r2: infect boogaloo
>r3: the infect strikes back
>finally succumb to the inevitable and lose
>decide to look around what everyone else is playing
>notice ten twelve different infect players
>puts it at fourteen out of 50-ish

I guess it's irony to say the format became infected.

>modern
>Ban - Mutagenic Growth
>Unban - idk

I think an SFM reprint would be fine and let white maybe be an interesting colour without being reliant on bg cock all the time. I think I'd rather have Jitte though.

In all seriousness, nothing is getting banned or unbanned. WotC don't care about modern outside of the MM cash grabs.

>ban
Things I don't like
>unban
Things I like

>wanting to ban Mutagenic yet Probe is okay
Faggot

MODERN

>Ban
Golgari Grave-Troll, Gitaxian Probe, Ancient Stirrings

>Unban
Umezawa's Jitte

>Ancient Stirrings
Holy shit this, looking at 3 cards is bad because it's blue but looking at 5 cards is okay because it's green?

It gives way too much consistency to degenerate decks like Eldrazi and Tron, it will be a travesty if it doesn't get banned.

Is Tron really doing so hot as to hit it with a ban? I understand hitting Bant Eldrazi but Tron doesn't seem to be putting in amazing numbers

How is Tron degenerate?
>boohoo there can't be a big mana control deck you're supposed to goldfish your opponent out by turn 3 or combo kill with Valakuts

>wanting Jitte unban
>being mad that dredge is finally competitive

It's partly because of the consistency it gives Tron, Stirrings is a great draw on turn one and on turn ten for it since it can find lands, threats and answers.

WOTC also set the standard by banning Preordain and Ponder, which let you choose from a smaller selection of cards compared to Stirrings.

>goldfish your opponent out by turn 3
That's exactly what tron does though

Tron isn't a skill intensive deck and fast mana has always been a hallmark of unfair strategies.

So a card that costs 4 mana before it does anything and requires you to have a creature is too OP, while a card that allows you to put 10+ points of power onto the board by turn two is okay?

Dredge has gone beyond competitive, it's format warping.

Slamming Karn on turn 3 does not kill your opponent, just makes it a lot harder for them

>Modern
You're not even trying.

>That's exactly what tron does though
But it doesn't you fucking retard, scooping to turn 3 Karn is not a function of Tron but the opponent's (probably midrange) deck. Aggro decks don't care about Tron's stabilizing measures because they come down too late.
>Tron isn't a skill intensive deck
I'm sure you have a strict definition and several examples of skill intensive decks in Modern. The game's not rocket science.

>Lilliana of the veil banned

>wah infect, tron, and now dredge are strong
git gud if you sideboard against these decks they are not hard to beat.

Whatever metric you use, trying to find three lands and slam a giant threat on turn three isn't difficult.

All three of those decks are beatable, but Dredge and Infect have reached the point where they're a little too good for modern with the current B&R list.

An Ancient Stirrings ban will remove some of the consistency and inevitability of powerful decks like Eldrazi and Tron.

Finding three lands is literally just the setup so the deck can enact its game plan of controlling the field with n-for-1 answers and then landing a finisher, if your opponent isn't playing Jund turn 3 is only when the game really begins and you'd know this if you weren't a mouth-breathing mong.

Wtf are you playing? Tron

Infect is super easy to beat

No changes

The problem is that any one of those finishers is powerful enough to win the game by itself and Ancient Stirrings provides Tron with a way to find those finishers easily.

God I wish I could play againsti nfect 3 rounds in a row at a modern tournament, it;s a free win for me

Sword of the meek banned

How is this a problem when the finishers can be countered/Pithing Needle'd/milled with lantern setup, lands can be destroyed, Stony Silence keeps tron off color 90% of the time and over half the current meta can present lethal by the time Tron can find its lands?

Burn?

I don't see how a turn 4-5 ulamog is that big a deal when some decks will have just killed Tron by then

>Counterspells
Counterspells are relatively weak in modern and don't stop Ulamog cast triggers, your opponent will also need to have multiple counterspells because Stirrings means that you can easily find another one.

>Land Hate
Land destruction slows Tron down but it isn't a clean answer when the deck has so much filtering.

>Pithing Needle and Stony
Needle and Stony can slow things down but like land destruction, don't hinder Tron massively.

>The format is too fast for Tron to be good
Because I'm also suggesting a ban on Gitaxian Probe and GGT, I'm expecting the format to slow down and give Tron a bit of breathing room.

There's also the small matter of there being a tier 1 deck that also abuses Ancient Stirrings.

>Skred Ban :^)

Snow covered mountains now banned

Would you unban mental misstep?

Even if MM wasn't the best answer to itself there'd be zero reason not to jam 4 in every deck, no thanks.

Never.

Modern: Preordain is unbanned. JtMS is unbanned. Stoneforge Mystic unbanned. Eldrazi Temple is banned.

Legacy: No changes

Vintage: No changes

desu, only one of the blue cards would ever come off, and stoneforge never will, but would i love to see it, temple doesnt really deserve it, but damn to i hate the new eldrazi, blue is completely unplayable since they became a thing. also wizards has a history of making terrible list choices so it will likely be sometime like: become immense is now banned, or some shit like that.

Modern: no changes
Legacy: no changes
Vintage: sphere of resistance is now restricted

Something to slow down MUD just a little is the only change I would ever expect. Restricting sphere would only hurt the deck a little and a change I would like to see.

best post ITT

Modern: Ban 8th and 9th edition

I really don't understand some of the shit you idiots want unbanned. BBE is probably fine, and I can see the argument with Jace even if I don't necessarily agree. But Jitte? Are you people serious with this shit?

I think it's true that you can hate out dredge with sideboards. But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that logic when it comes to making sure Modern is a healthy format over the long term.

In part, I think it's just a bad way to balance out a format, and I think it leads to really wacky, unhealthy metagame choices and game experiences. But more importantly, I think it reaches a point of exhaustion - there's only so many decks you can really keep in check that way. When you have to rely on sideboard hate to beat Dredge AND Affinity, you're already stretching the sideboards really thin. I mean, there's only 15 sideboard slots, you know? It puts a lot of pressure on what becomes a viable deck. And if you let decks do broken shit because they can get hated out in sideboard games, I think over the long term there's going to be more and more of a creep towards that direction of deck dominating. I think it's going to lead to healthier formats in general if you try to limit peoples' ability to do degenerate shit in the first place.

I know that people want to say that you can have a looser format and let competitive pressure keep the various decks in check. I don't think, over the long term, that is ever going to work in a million fucking years.

I would say ban Gitaxian Probe and GGT and maybe Mox Opal, and unban Preordain and BBE.

At this point I really can't see vintage ever becoming a fun format to play, so I'll just assume it's not for me, but if it was for me, I'd just get it over with and restrict gush and workshops and maybe unrestrict Lodestone or something.
I also feel like combo could use a boost but I don't know what could be unrestricted safely, maybe nerfing mentor/shops would do enough on its own, but I doubt it.
Still, people seem to enjoy it currently, so I assume people just want something else out of the format.

>Restrict sphere.
>When trinisphere, chalice, and golem are already restricted
Git gud

>My sideboard cards just affect one deck
Kys pls

>50215769
modern is gonna have 5 more retarded ass bannings
legacy will probably unban mind twist, which would be sweet as fuck for my gate deck.
vintage is definitely restricting either gush, sphere or something completely fucktarded.

knowing wizard only modern will have changes in the form of bans because they can't have eternal players acknowledged to exist.

Modern:
Inkmoth Nexus is banned.
Blood Moon is banned.
Prized Amalgam is banned.
Monastery Swiftspear is banned.
Eldrazi Temple is banned

Legacy: No changes

Vintage: No changes

There you have it, 5 retarded ass bans in Modern, and zero fucks given about Legacy and Vintage.

>Blood Moon
>Retarded ban
pick one

Neither Skred, nor White Moon, nor Blue Moon are even that great. The only reason they're doing well is because they're good meta calls at the moment. Once the meta shifts, they'll disappear again.

Jitte would be a great unban, it keeps Infect in check. JtMS would just push Jeskai Nahiri and maybe Blue Moon up to tier 1, the former of which is already very powerful and only being held back by the dominance of Dredge, while the latter just recently got amazing support in the form of Madcap Experiment. BBE doesn't need to come back, Jund is already tier 1.

>Jund is already tier 1.
Bull fucking shit it's tier 1. Jund loses to Bant Eldrazi, Dredge, Jeskai Nahiri, Titan Breach, Scapeshift and is barely favored against Burn and Infect.

Tiers are a measure of playrate. MWR is not factored into tier determination.

i actually agree, shops is a problem, its easily the best deck in vintage and needs a slight nerf

jund isnt that bad against eldrazi, dredge and nahiri, plus nahiri was a splash in the pan its really not played now

eldrazi and dredge are are bad(like 35/65), but not bad at all post board, titan is hard for jund but often if you can survive the titan swing(if breached) you can still stabilize and win, plus you have hand disruption to hopefully stop the more cheaty ways of getting titan in play

tron you simply lose to, and there isnt much you can do about it, your removal is not effective against them, and they're the one deck who's top deck is often better than yours

Looking over the restricted list of Vintage.
Balance: possible maybe, could actually provide its own decktype which would be good considering vintage only has like 5 decks.
Channel: generally loses to a single bolt if channeling out emrakul, double green makes it's usability in artifact/eldrazi decks suspect.
Demonic Consultation: unsafe, but a tiny consideration, storm doesn't even seem to play it anymore, but that's likely because it needs to be slightly build around.
Flash: not sure how good this would be, needs to be integrated into another strategy (S&T with academy rector & cabal therapy) but mostly just seems like a worse version of S&T even in that case, just casting rector costs 2 more mana and it doesn't work with most bombs S&T generally uses. Not much info on why it was restricted in the first place, never seemed to dominate from what I can find. Currently hulk flash would be a bit of a joke considering all of the cages due to dredge/oath.
Imperial Seal: probably perfect, not even seeing play in most storm decks, only potential issue is that it would have no impact at all.
Petal, Mana Vault, & Jar: not safe, but possible
Merchant scroll, vampiric: not before other cards are unbanned, but maybe
Mystical: Maybe OK, mistep fucks it over pretty hard in a lot of ways.
Ponder: I don't think stronger cantrips are needed.
I don't think modern will change except maybe something banned from dredge, (they've banned for much less) I'd like chrome mox to be unbanned as I think it is probably the single best card for control decks.

No changes. The only deck in Modern that could potentially need a ban atm is Dredge, but I'd think Wizards would wait at least one more season before doing anything as drastic as banning a card from it.

In Pauper I could see Drake getting banned, but I don't particularly want it to be.

>In Pauper I could see Drake getting banned, but I don't particularly want it to be.
drake was already banned, it was emergency banned.
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/pauper-banned-list-change-2016-11-03

Oh well. That's kinda sad and a relief at the same time. Izzet Drake was one of the most fun decks to play in the format, but it was infuriating to play against.

No changes
No changes
No changes

DT/Hatebears whatever you want to name it. Basically comes down to Path or bust.

Ps. I think it's hilarious how people are in denial at how consistant and fast infect is. It's a better deck than dredge.

>Blood Moon is banned.
Fantastic! I love it when every game is exactly the same with no variation at all.

ban inkmoth
unban hypergenesis

>hatebears
are you just not playing melira out of the board?

Sure did. Then my opponent showed a Dismember.

>play my 3 mana Enchantment on turn 2 and my opponent sits on his hands for the rest of the game while I draw one card at a time to find my win condition
Then why do you like blood moon?

Fetch basics, tard.

>Being this butthurt, he has to ban 5 cards
Luckly you don't work at wizards

>Nahiri was just a splash in the pan

Wrong.
It's not tier 1 anymore, but it's still a solI'd tier 2 deck. It's very powerful but it's being held back by Dredge. Once Nahiri players get smart and learn how to combat Dredge, the deck will become tier 1 again.

Balance: Could come back, would form a new deck but nothing too oppressive

Channel and Flash: Could come back, power creep has caught up to these.

Demonic Consultation: Stays restricted. 1-mana tutor for anything at Instant speed is too good. Same applies for Vampiric Tutor

Imperial Seal and Mystical Tutor: Both have significant drawbacks, the former being a sorcery and the latter being restricted to Instants/sorcs only. Maybe they could come back.

Free my nigga Bloodbraid elf, she died for Deathrite shamans sins.

Contrary to popular belief, Vintage is one of the most interactive formats and is not all "turn 1, vomit mana and spells I win: The Format." While turn 1 kills can happen they don't happen super frequently. If you restrict Workshop you will kill that entire deck so that can't happen. As for Gush, that card has been restricted and unrestricted more times than any other card in Vintage history.

How come Workshop and Oath get to exist, while Balance, Academy, and Necro have to be restricted? What about those decks?

Just to annoy you user, because they hate you

Balance is restricted because of one particular deck that used to play it long ago and in most cases Balance is like playing Mind Twist, Wrath of God and Armageddon for 1W. Now play 3 more copies.

Tolarian Academy is ridiculously powerful in Vintage with the amount of 0 mana or 1 mana artifacts that get played to give you tremendous amount of mana. There's reasons why it's restricted.

Necro is restricted due to Storm decks. If it's unrestricted Storm would just run free and rampant. As much as I love playing Storm, Necropotence should not be unrestricted in the format.

>"No changes to any format. We're basically letting Modern die out."

Commander: the RC is abolished and professionals now manage the format. Sol ring is banned and painter's servant unbanned.

>Vintage is one of the most interactive formats and is not all "turn 1, vomit mana and spells I win: The Format"
Yeah, I know, I've played quite a bit of it, I talked about how I wanted to make combo decks better in fact, I wouldn't want to do that if I thought the format was already revolved around combo. My issue with the format is its insane amount of variance (and lack of deck diversity), I feel like I have maybe played one game where skill was more important than variance and I'm not saying that because I lose and get salty: the first game I played in vintage I made 2 huge mistakes but won easily because I went first and drew better. The format is actually so blatant with its variance it is hard to get upset at it at all, which might be one of its upsides for people that like it.
>restrict Workshop you will kill that entire deck so that can't happen
I don't believe a shops deck can't exist without shops (still have city of traitors, ancient tomb, wastelands and the eldrazi lands for decks wanting to go that route), and I don't believe that other decks can't beat combo decks. Even when shops went hard by the wayside storm only became tier 1, it still didn't really dominate.