Is having a cyberpunk-esque society within a fantasy campaign inherently stupid or could it be interesting?

Is having a cyberpunk-esque society within a fantasy campaign inherently stupid or could it be interesting?

If done right, it could be cool. You'd need to explain why the technology doesn't spread, though. Also, if your players want and expect a fantasy game, they might not like having to play in a cyberpunk setting and rush through it. You might want to ask them beforehand.

Wouldn't it be just another WH40K though?

Like, are you replacing technology with magic? Like new magically improved parahumans, astral networks and super guilds doing ethically questionable wizardry while weak kingdoms are forced to rely on mercenaries and not-venice bankers to sustain themselves?

cuz if you ain't doing that, I am

When you say, "cyberpunk-esque," what do you mean exactly?

I could imagine such a setting working if the society in question was an extremely advanced magitech one that was determined to keep its advancements to itself.

Literally Morrowind.
Because Sotha Sil.
And, to a smaller extent, dwarves.

I mean a civilization that had to rely on technology instead of magic.

That does make things more difficult.

The thing is that I was planning to have them sealed off until the start of the campaign due to windstorms surrounding their homeland for 99% of the time, preventing them from going or leaving until recently.

What stops them from using their technology to just go through or around the windstorm?

You'll need to answer why the civilization can't or doesn't use magic, and if it affects the party; for instance, a natural anti-magic field might prevent magic users from fighting effectively and break magic items.

What's stopping you from flying an airplane in the middle of a hurricane?
It's a genetic defect that doesn't allow them to use magic at all.

Like... wizards being an entire species of their own and controlling majority of the world? And the sealed punks are proper humans?

>What's stopping you from flying an airplane in the middle of a hurricane?

The fact that it would be easier to fly over it?

Like, if they got cyberpunk, they literally got the energy and sophistication of technology that they need to go to the moon. Something like a storm won't stop them.

What's to stop us from going to the moon? Not being sarcastic, but I think the same lines are there.

>if they got cyberpunk, they literally got the energy and sophistication of technology that they need to go to the moon
That's not how it works.
It's about transhumanism and a world torn apart by corporations, not about space flights.

I think that his point was that, if a society is sufficiently technologically advanced that they can be considered "cyberpunk," even a pervasive windstorm might not be enough to stop their desire to explore and expand their borders.

Yes, but for a technological cyberpunk, a certain degree of scientific understanding is necessary. This would create a lot of engineering "byproducts", like for instance the scientific understand of how to send a man to the moon. Of course in this case, something that arduous. Getting through a storm is much easier. Even if you can't make a vehicle to go through it (though I don't see why not. Just make the vehicle big enough that the wind can't toss it around), you still got the option of going under or over it.

Literally nothing. We send tons of satellites into orbit every year, and the journey to the moon isn't actually much more difficult, because the hardest step is to get into orbit.

EMP-storm, then. Fuck, the rest of the world uses magic, maybe it's just a magical anti-tech zone, that was created after a great technomagical war.

>shadowrun ?
>40K ?

not stupid, already exist

Won't stop people using analogue solutions. Or going under it.

Sorry, but this whole "technology hidden behind a storm" thing sounds terribly incohesive to your standard setting simply because it would be absurdly hard to stop it from infecting the rest of the setting, which would make its sudden inclusion jarring to the rest of the setting.

Maybe if you put it on another plane of existence or something.