Do not use myetherwallet

Other urls found in this thread:

ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

quite clearly a normie who got hacked, doesnt know how, and is looking for a blame exit

>could provide link to etherscan to make story much more believable
>doesn't
really gets the noggin joggin

there's many ways to take a password from a fool.
it's not MEW fault.

this guy probably uses windows.

I use it from an offline computer. It does log private keys to the browser cache though.

holy fuck people shouldn't leave the safety of coinbase without having a basic understanding of what the blockchain and myetherwallet actually is.

Beyond that if you leave that json file on your online computer you are going to get fucked.

not json I mean fuck i'm using his terminology

that png stole my LINK

ride the neo wave. cash out at some point which makes sense. put everything into omg because its the next pump?

zuckerberg stole my doge

Still really mindfucking that everything someone needs to ruin your entire life is your private key.
Sure decentralization is good but I would rather send my passport and everything to a company and be safe than get rekt. Safety first boyos.

cryptobanks will soon pop up to protect the most retarded from losing their keys.

>using MEW with your internet still plugged in
cmon now

1. open fresh browser in private mode
2. goto MEW
3. rip net out
4. do your shit
5. close browser
6. plug net back in
7. open fresh browser in private mode
8. go back to MEW
9. send signed transaction

>Virgin losers actually use wallets

Lmao, I have 75k on an exchange and half of it is in fucking TETHER right now.

C H A D L I F E

wat

why do you need to disconnect to do something on MEW? and how would you even connect to the ETH network without internet?

Or you could use noscript with adblock and never worry about getting malware. Its like wearing a bulletproof vest while sitting in a tank.

you need to get off mew if you don't understand this. I don't say this to be a dick, but you're going to get everything stolen. dyor

>I don't say this to be a dick
Yes you do, and you are.

>why do you need to disconnect to do something on MEW?

mew is pretty trustworthy, but if you are connected to the internet you cant trust it wont send your keys off when you input them. (better to be safe than sorry)

MEW is supposed to be 100% client side; a javascript implementation of ethereum that shouldnt require the internet connection to work.

once MEW uses your private key to sign a transaction, the signed transaction data is safe (nobody can get your private key from it). you can then use MEW to send that transaction data to the network for you, but you have to be connected to the net to do so.

This is why I got a hardware wallet ASAP. Private key never needs to leave the device - only the signed transactions. If you have anything over a few hundred bucks invested, it's always a good idea to grab a Hardware wallet.

>5022928
WOOSH

obviously his girlfriend stole everything

If you are using a hardwallet your 100% safe yes? Also do you even need the hardwallet to be on once you know the address to send ether and tokens to it?

>If you are using a hardwallet your 100% safe yes?
Pretty much yeah

>Also do you even need the hardwallet to be on once you know the address to send ether and tokens to it?
Only needs to be connected when you want to send crypto. Receiving it is as simple as having your public receiving address copied down in a notepad or something.

My faith in MEW is shaken.

How much does a hardware wallet cost? Where would I buy one? What is best and most cheapest type?

>you're

got it, thanks m8. any ETH ERC20 wallet app you recommend?

this nigga is typing his private keys or leaving his js file with them into myetherwallet on his regular online laptop.

he's gonna wake up one morning and have his funds stolen. He needs a wakeup call that this is not a game.

Thanks, but why do you say pretty much?

there's nothing wrong with MEW. MEW is just a way of interacting with the blockchain. If you send erc20 tokens to your hardware walllet MEW is probably the most popular client for signing transactions involving erc20 tokens because the regular ledger app doesn't let you do it.

>not using a hardware wallet
Its like he wanted to be robbed

You can still use MEW with a hardware wallet and not have to worry about MEW fucking you around. I use MEW with my hardware wallet when I want to send ERC20 tokens. I use a Ledger Nano S:
ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s

I say "pretty much" with 99.99% certainty. Maybe some dark magician neckbeard cyber-wizard will find an exploit one day but so far it's proven to be top-notch security and I haven't heard of an instance of anyone losing their funds off a hardware wallet yet.

OK thanks, just one night I was using my hardwallet and running a virus scan and I fell asleep with my hardwallet still on and when I woke up was like oh fuck and on my scan I had a fucking key resister pup, scared the fuck outta me dude but funds seem safe kek

What if hard wallet breaks over time or I drop it in water by accident or something. Are they lost forever?

You get a 24 word phrase to write down when you set it up. If your device gets lost, broken or stolen - you can get a new device and re-enter your 24 word phrase and your private key will be re-derived from that.

I know the ledger has a 24 word recovery phase if you loss it or break it so you can recover the wallet but if you lose those words or write them down wrong you are fucked

Is there an advantage in using an offline computer vs disconnecting when setting up a transaction? Also am I wrong thinking using these methods and a paper wallet is as safe as hardware as long as I take care of my private key? Possibly even safer with paper if hardware turns out exploitable some day?

There actually are problems with mew. Look up the double spending problems with icos. It's happened with Chainlink and ebet icos where you send eth at the start of an ico and the backlog of transactions saves a duplicate of your transaction. When I added more eth to my account a day later it sent it out to the ico address automatically and without permission. Freaked me out and thought I had been hacked.

Stop spreading FUD, you fucking idiot. Stop crying about it, you got hacked next time take extra precautions. Just because you scanned your computer with a antivirus doesn't mean you don't have any viruses on your PC. A virus can be fud which makes it fully undetectable to the majority of antiviruses. Not matter how many antiviruses you'll download it won't be detected. Only way to disturb the virus is by locating it and removing it manually, else you'll have to do a clean install of your machine.

Awesome, cheers

Cheers

Sounds like he didn't even prove it. Sounds like a bullshit story.

Bump. OP shilling hard wallets when paper is just as safe or even safer

Wait, so as long as I'm offline when I input my private key on MEW, login, then I can go back online and do a transfer, it's okay? Didn't know this was such an issue. I'd KMS if my LINKies get stolen. They're all on MEW.

Paper wallets stress me out though. I have a paper wallet with private and public keys set up but I never created a blockchain.info wallet. The btc is there but I've never technically sent, so Idk how to do it. I'm just hoping itll work whenever I do try.

And plus you have to send all of your coins with a paper wallet, so that sucks for doing transactions

i'm not an expert but it's generally not advised that you ever enter your private key or have your private key on your file system on a computer that is ever online, even if you go offline during the period when you are entering your private key to sign the transaction. You need an offline computer to sign transactions or a hardware wallet.

yes. if you want to do a transfer then stay offline until you have your signed transaction which mew will provide. always remember to close your browser so nothing is saved in cache or storage.

Thanks, user. What's the best way to login to MEW then if you don't have a hardware wallet yet?

Thank you, will start doing this.

probably a permanently offline linux computer or if you don't have a spare offline computer boot linux from a disk with networking disabled. But i mean if it's for a day and you're not talking a massive amount of money I wouldn't sweat it if you've been a relatively safe computer user who knows not to download shit but long term or significant amount of money you can NEVER be too careful