Would humanity be stupid enough to lead a war against technologically superior aliens?

Would humanity be stupid enough to lead a war against technologically superior aliens?

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/harambe-15000-votes/
youtube.com/watch?v=-Ryd_p20XEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Would humanity be stupid enough
The answer is always yes.

Yes, we are indeed that stupid.

Obviously we'd use the power of the HUMAN SPIRIT and "Breathes rocket fuel!?!?" to turn their technology against them and win, allowing us to take the survivors as sex slaves and use their technology to start our eternal empire that will spread to every system and every planet.

Because the alternative is extinction? Are these superior aliens instigating, or is that what you mean by us "leading"?

Alternatively do you mean humans leading OTHER aliens to stop the superior aliens? Like in Mass Effect? In which case, what's stupid about unity and fighting for survival against an all-consuming adversary?

I mean, I wish we weren't, but my fellow humans are downright retarded.

Yep, and belligerent enough to win it.

Stargate
Star Wars EU
Star Control

Many settings, really

I suppose we'd have to define "technologically superior." That could mean "NASA but with Warp Drives" or "We build megastructures for kicks and create new intelligent species for our school science projects."

is that Titan AE?

Until they pull a hiroshima on ten capital cities and we surrender

yes

How the hell was Humanity unable to stop a single planet-cracker when they were able to build a literal planet-creator.

Yep.

Humanity is stupid enough to lead a war against technologically superior humans, so sure, aliens, definitely as well.

>Would humanity be stupid enough

We are always stupid enough. Always.

Yes

/thread

And how come they didn't figure out how to do the energy-thingy when it was attacking Earth, which would have both destroyed Earth, the Drej, and made humanity a new Earth right where the old one was?

I guess because it would have been a much shorter movie.

>Humanity is stupid enough to lead a war against technologically superior humans
So much this.

If the alternative is assured extinction, then the best choice is to war and hopefully have a nonzero chance of extinction.
The better choice is throw RKVs at them and write off their potentially habitable world's as collateral damage.
The best choice is to do whatever has the least chance of species extinction.

>being this buttblasted
Don't you have a bull to prep?

Yes.

Technological superiority is not a guarantee of victory. It helps a whoooole lot, but it's very far from a guarantee.

Hell, the only reason the Spanish conquered the Aztecs is because they had over a hundred times their number in Mesoamerican allies and Cortez was a fucking beast at fighting and TACTICAL GENIUS (by the Aztecs own accounts no less).

Let's just say it's happened before.

I would like to have sex with technologically advanced aliens.

>Humanity
>stupidity
The unholy spawn of a dorito and a mop was elected president. 'nuff said.

The problem is that, because we are not a unified planet, we only need a few crazy assholes that say 'yes' to get the rest of us involved.

If Russia (for example) fires a bunch of nukes at an alien ship, we should only be so lucky that the aliens understand that the rest of the planet was not on board with that plan. Because most of their weapons that are capable of wiping Russia off the face of the planet would kill all of the rest of us too as collateral damage.

And if we thought we were under attack first, we would probably retaliate with force 'before its too late'. Which can be a disaster in its own right, because there are a lot of ways for a technologically superior alien race to end up killing a bunch of us entirely on accident. We can't presume their environment is anything like ours, we can't presume their senses are anything like ours. Peaceful alien scientists set up a basic communication device to beam 'perfectly harmless' microwaves at us to say hello, and we fall over screaming in pain under the force of their devastating 'heat gun'. All because they are more advanced than us doesn't mean they won't make mistakes too.

Eleven thousand people voted write-in for Harambe last Tuesday.

You can't tell me what to do.

CTR shill detected

How dare you speak about your God-Emperor that way.

How superior? Do they attack first? Are they aggressive?

Because that drastically changes things. If you answered Yes to the second or third question, humanity is sure as fuck going to try to fight them if the alternative is (perceived) human extinction/subjugation.

We would use the power of meme magic to consume the alien fleet in a warp storm.

>Americans
>human

The aliens, using a faster than light galactic stellarnet, prove to have superior meme based technology.

To use, meme magic is something wild and difficult to control.

To them, Memetological science is the sort of thing children are taught about in school. Any alien engineer can make a meme-powered image display that always has the right image macro for any occasion, with only a margin of error of 0.9%.

Their memes are, in fact, so dank that it distorts the fabric of spacetime. Its how they achieve FTL travel. They have industrial grade memes that, without proper protective gear, would kill you stone dead if you were exposed to them.

Do not meme at aliens, they will meme back.

I feel it depends on how obviously superior they are. I feel we could easily be tricked into thinking we would have a chance in such a war, by them.

If they made no such effort of trickery, and their superiority was quite blatant, we might attempt it only if it was our only chance of survival.

Mad libcuck is mad.

Question.

Is psychohistory from foundation essentially a refined and implemented form of meme magic?
Wizardry unto the wild Magics of yore?

The united states and other global powers already have some plans for how to deal with aliens, and what little we know of them points to "we are fucking terrified of aliens".

Basically, we know how shit usually goes down when a technologically advanced civilization meets an inferior culture. It never ends well for the little guys.

I don't think we could be easily convinced that we 'have a chance'. But we MIGHT be convinced that 'if we can destroy this ONE SHIP before it leaves, the rest of them will never hear we exist. This is our chance to stop columbus from reporting the existence of America. We are the Indians in this example.'

No. "Meme magic" is a stupid idea that if you can get enough people to believe something is true, reality will comply.

Psychohistoy is just advanced supermath that can be used to predict the future of civilizations, whether or not they belive int he results. Indeed, the civilization knowing psychohistory is in play is the biggest threat to the accuracy of psychohistory, because they then presume that a guiding hand will catch them if they fall and that throws off assumptions.

>No. "Meme magic" is a stupid idea that if you can get enough people to believe something is true, reality will comply.
>implying consensus reality isn't the true nature of creation
HACKING THE ZEITGEIST
WITH NO SURVIVORS

Your shitty false Emperor is no match for true Emperor Tomaru.

I did, in my first game of Stellaris. I didn't know that "fallen empires" were a thing, so I ignored them when they told me to abandon a world I had just colonized. They spent a few turn completely kicking my ass. I was frantic trying to find a way to sue for peace, but they wouldn't listen.

>you can see them getting more inbred
Jesus

I liked the last angel's take on it, even if I wasn't super interested in the story itself.

Basically a fledgling civilization is warned of the coming of a colonialist empire and they fight tooth and nail once they get their shit together, turn their moon into a debris catapult.

It must've taken you two whole hours to come up with that scathing and witty comment.

Are they down to fuck?

>not intentionally making them wardec, tricking them into focusing most of their fleets somewhere else, and focusing the entirety of your navy on blowing up one of their smaller picket fleets before they can respond
>not reverse engineering the debris after conceding to their demands, researching the top tier of top tier tech in early midgame, and becoming a galactic hegemonic superpower while everyone else is still shitting around with tier 2-3 weaponry

Humanity was stupid enough to lead a war against technologically superior humans, repeatedly.

did you not see:
>first game

Yeah, it's basically a pleb version of Mage: The Ascension's consensus reality.

>Non-American
>Anything worth saying
Did you hear a zipper?

Wanna know how I know you got stumped?

c'mon, let's be honest.
Even the people who support him don't think he's good, they just wanted to spite the Bill-Hill.

>being bad
>ever
Git Gud

>a pleb version
Last I checked, M:TA doesn't worship an Egyptian Chaos God

No, I think he's pretty good. I am genuinely happy that he won, more than I'm happy that Hilldawg lost.
BUILD
THE
WALL

>No, I think he's pretty good. I am genuinely happy that he won, more than I'm happy that Hilldawg lost.
I'm wondering how you could possibly think that, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, and well aware that the internet is a pretty shitty place for any productive discussion on something like this. Let us both hope.

I think he'll do more good than bad. Of course, my definition of good might be different than yours, which is why we're different people who should respect each other's opinions.

That's not true. In order for write-in candidates to be counted, they have to register as a write-in candidate. Otherwise, their votes are counted as "other".

So we have no idea how many people wrote-in Harambe.

snopes.com/harambe-15000-votes/

>strong national borders
>anti immigration
>anti "le free trade"
>as a businessman, knows how important it is to surround himself with intelligent advisors
>ego is mostly an act
He's pretty good

only if we had a guarantee way to fuck them over if we lose. think the Russians burning their own fields out of spite, on an interplanetary level.

> as a businessman, knows how important it is to surround himself with intelligent advisors

Because Rudy "lets put the emergency command center in the number one terrorist target" Giuliani is clearly one of the best.

>Trump
>going to fuck up america
I hope it'll happen, because it would be as fun to watch as the hillary supporters going autismo, except that now it would be everyone and the trump supporter's damage control would be hilarious. If he manages to fix america, then maybe murica can get it's fingers out of it's ass and finally start acting like a responsible country with it's level of power. If he fucks it up, then sure, I'll make fun of the neo-Greece
Then again, the american president has pretty much no power so I doubt it. Even Flamby has probably more power than him

> all this shitlib tears
Delicious. I hope you faggots never get over this, so that every time Trump fixes one of king nigger's fuckups I can feed on your butthurt.

>good advisors
>Newt fucking Gingrich

I'm sorry, I agree on your other points but his cabinet is fucking awful.

Gingrich is great, he supports a moon base. Shitlibs like you might hate science because it disproves their garbage dogma, but the rest of us love it.

>Gingrich is great, he supports a moon base.
I don't know the guy and don't care, but anyone who supports anything closely related to space conquest in this day and age is a total retard.
There's a reason why the NASA is constantly cutting funds you know
youtube.com/watch?v=-Ryd_p20XEU

> There's a reason why the NASA is constantly cutting funds you know

NASA has become nothing but warmist shills trying to sell their doomsaying for grant money. They don't give a fuck about strengthening the nation and it's about time they were thrown out on their lying asses so that they can be replaced with a properly nationalist space program.

>I don't know the guy and don't care, but anyone who supports anything closely related to space conquest in this day and age is a total retard.
W E W

>There's a reason why the NASA is constantly cutting funds you know
No, they're having their funds cut because congress is fucking retarded.

He managed to bring law and order back to fucking New York City. In the 80s it was basically a warzone, and he turned it around so that even cucks like you can live without having to constantly worry about a nigger kicking down your door and murdering you. He's exactly what America needs right now.

If aliens were advanced enough to come to Earth, the answer is no, we would be less able to lead a war on them than a single ant could lead a war on mankind.

>They don't give a fuck about strengthening the nation
they shouldn't
This comes from a guy that spend I year and a half studying space conquest, from the very beginning to today
I want to strangle all the autists that believe in things like "we'll colonize mars soon !" or that we're on the brink of a space age
Basically, if you don't know it, but simply put, in order to reach the moon and during the space race, the amount of funds was way too high and was only pushed because of the amerifat's dick contest with the slavs (who litterally had their first modules build of scrap and were in the lead for a long time). Doing the same kind of thing nowadays with way more issues would cause a fuckton of problems for murica. Why do I care ? Because even if I don't care about burgerland, I care about space conquest, and it dying off because of huge issues, it would scare potential investors (including the state)and would be dalayed even further. Think long term, don't be idiots and you'll see that everything will work out in the end

> they shouldn't
Every American should. Those who don't are traitors and should be treated as such. No nation can afford to allow people to sabotage them, nor should any nation tolerate such behavior. The job of the US government is to promote the interests of the US. If NASA isn't doing that, then they should be replaced by someone who will.

>We just gotta wait a liiiiiitle longer guys ;^)
Fuck off, you don't get anywhere if you never take the first steps.

Those are all things I would expect to fuck everything up (except for the ego part which seems like a blatant lie)
but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Considering how weak borders, immigration, and free trade are responsible for fucking everything up in the first place, being anti-them is a good idea.

>those things
>good ideas
>within a modern global trade network

Jesus Christ, you cucks know that the reason the global elite do those things is because they have the optimal efficiency within the current system figured out right? Turning away from them because you are too stupid/unlucky to grab Globalism by the pussy and take what you want from it isn't going to make your life better, any more than a child throwing a temper tantrum about his bedtime can magically make the sun not set.

Also good luck bringing "Blue collar jobs" back unless you invent some way for all the unemployed in the rust belt to transform into robots or 3D printers. Because with tech going where it is why the fuck would any factory owner hire 200 Joes and pay them salary and benefits when he can just make a one time purchase of an automated manufacturing setup, plug it in and have it work 24/7 while only having to hire a handful of millennials with Masters Degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Comp Sci to program/maintain the tings.

>Trust me prole, the global elite have your best interests at heart!
>wait no don't turn back to nationalism you racist sexist shitlords!
>how dare you try to stop and reverse our brave new world instead of running blindly into the progressive future!
Wew

I'm unconvinced that they're fucked up in the first place, and unconvinced that changing how they are will improve things.
Free trade, in particular, seems like it will be a real pain to see go. Tariffs increase prices, and those who can't afford it will be hardest hit by it. (...and those who stand most to benefit don't need it.)
America being a manufacturing powerhouse was driven by a strict set of conditions that don't really exist anymore; while we could, say, produce more T-shirts than Indonesia or China, we'd be far better off letting them handle what they can handle, and specializing in what they can't. Semiconductors, software, biotech, what have you.

But hey, I thought fairly-free market capitalism was supposed to be a good thing.

>mildly interesting thread ruined by political shitposting

It's a virtual wall based on money freezes and other non-physical things. There will be no concrete wall.
And Mexico won't pay for it.

> while only having to hire a handful of millennials with Masters Degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Comp Sci to program/maintain the tings.
> implying millennials know fuck all about engineering or comp sci
All they know is how to bitch that their gravy train is coming to an end. Just look at Portland. Bunch of worthless numales acting like a bunch of nogs after a gangbanger gets offed for attacking a police officer.

> Also good luck bringing "Blue collar jobs" back unless you invent some way for all the unemployed in the rust belt to transform into robots or 3D printers
Fuck them. They knew what was happening and they chose to sit on their outdated skills. What does matter is that the illegals that have been allowed to blatantly violate our laws are finally going to get kicked out and our laws are actually going to be enforced again.

It's not, free market capitalism is just as cancerous as communism.

>we'd be far better off letting them handle what they can handle, and specializing in what they can't. Semiconductors, software, biotech, what have you.
Too bad that there's nothing intrinsic about America that makes us better at those things, and those industries are already moving to Asia because of multinat corp bullshittery.

Adam Smith can go choke on it.

There is going to be a wall (with the mountainous portions as a fence most likely); it will be big, beautiful, and ten feet higher than planned while being ahead of schedule and under budget.
China can do it.
Israel can do it.
American can do it.

cowboys vs aliens

Leftists destroy everything they touch.

>I-It was all their fault!!!

>first post that started the shitposting was
They started it, senpai

>but he started it
No post can get so many replies and spawn an argument so long unless another side is equally willing to spew shit everywhere.

Only you can you fight unrelated garbage posting on Veeky Forums.

>hurr hurr Millennials

Cute, another imbecile that doesn't know what a "millennial" is. Are you under 37 years old like the overwhelming majority of this site's userbase? Congrats! You're a millennial. If you are over that, why the fuck is a man whose almost 40 (or above) spending time on an image board created for anime fans? Shit's creepy Grandpa.

>It's not, free market capitalism is just as cancerous as communism.
Hey, we've found a point of agreement.

>Too bad that there's nothing intrinsic about America that makes us better at those things, and those industries are already moving to Asia because of multinat corp bullshittery.

Actually, America is pretty wealthy. That means we can afford to educate people pretty well, and invest in things that require a lot of capital.

Semiconductors, for instance, require absurd amounts of capital investment, and very high levels of education and specialization. They also require this regularly, you can't just invest once and be done.
That means some place like Indonesia, with a lot of people, but not as much wealth to invest in educating them or capital, can't really compete.

Conversely, something like "making t-shirts" can be done without a lot of capital investment; sure, a little capital investment could see you making t-shirts a hundred times faster with a hundredth the people, but you can still do it with a massive investment of manpower and modest investment in capital. (a factory of works on looms vs an automated factory of electrical looms).

His situation is rather precarious isn't it?
/pol/ isn't exactly the best ally when it comes to ruling the world

>Actually, America is pretty wealthy. That means we can afford to educate people pretty well, and invest in things that require a lot of capital.
True, but that's not an intrinsic quality that is unique to America. Just as America became wealthy and educated, so too will other nations. Our advantage in those sectors will disappear unless we take steps to mitigate it, most importantly not being an almost entirely post-industrial society.

Additionally, free trade and international business means that other countries not being as wealthy and educated as us isn't that big of a deal; even if you're technically an American company, you can still ship educated workers and invest capital in those poorer countries.

In January he'll have control over every branch of the federal government. Republicans have total control in half the states, and partial control in most of the remainder. The US is basically going to be a one-party state under Trump. He will have the entire apparatus of the federal government to crush anyone who tries to move against him. He doesn't need /pol/ anymore. The left is dead and buried in the US, and it won't be a meaningful force again for decades to come.

Honestly, I voted for trump because of the following.

>Trump
>Totally fucks up
Everything burns and I can walk into anarchistic oblivion with a smile. +
>Does what he wants to do
America is now great again. +
>Gets cock blocked and is ineffectual
More of the status quo. -

>Hillary
>Totally fucks up
WW3 with Russia and I can walk into nuclear obilvion with a smile. +
>Does what she wants to do
This living nightmare intensifies to the point where I'd prefer modern day Sweden. -
>Gets cock blocked and is ineffectual
More of the status quo. -

As you can see, Trump is the better option.

If they shoot first, is there anything else TO do?

While this is true the Republican party is kind of in a state of disarray. The Republican party is split pretty bad because Trump literally shit on everyone that was in power during the primaries alone, and a lot of the old money in there just straight quit.
One of the biggest risks he has right now is the fact that he burned his bridges so hard they might stonewall him like they did Obama.

>True, but that's not an intrinsic quality that is unique to America. Just as America became wealthy and educated, so too will other nations. Our advantage in those sectors will disappear unless we take steps to mitigate it, most importantly not being an almost entirely post-industrial society.
Naturally, but change, death, and taxes are the only constants in life. Currently we have an advantage we could exploit, and it's certainly not like we're going to go back to having more manpower-intensive manufacturing with things like 3d printing and robotic factories already in service. There's pretty much no way we could go back to employing sizable percentages of the population in manufacturing. The times are a changin'.

>Additionally, free trade and international business means that other countries not being as wealthy and educated as us isn't that big of a deal; even if you're technically an American company, you can still ship educated workers and invest capital in those poorer countries.

This is certainly true, and can be abused. The end result tends to be cheaper goods though, which tends to help those who are worse off. If the prices at your grocery store fall by 10%, that will be nice if you're rich, but might be lifesaving if you're struggling.

>One of the biggest risks he has right now is the fact that he burned his bridges so hard they might stonewall him like they did Obama.
I don't think the old money is THAT stupid. If they make amends and get back on the Trump train, they'll have total control over the country for the next 4 years.

>He still believes Paul Ryan and the (R) Establishment won't just tell him "Do what we want or we impeach your ass and make our boy Pence the president"

You have no idea how fucked a President is when his own party controls the Legislature but has a low opinion of him do you?

>The left is dead and buried in the US, and it won't be a meaningful force again for decades to come
*two to four years

>and it's certainly not like we're going to go back to having more manpower-intensive manufacturing with things like 3d printing and robotic factories already in service. There's pretty much no way we could go back to employing sizable percentages of the population in manufacturing. The times are a changin'.
In all honesty, I don't care about the blue collar jobs, I just want manufacturing to come back to America.
Although it's certainly not going to happen under Trump, a strong and diversified economy is the stepping stone to transitioning to a limited citizen's wage. I have no doubt that the future of most jobs will be in service, but it's still good for America to not be entirely behold to other nations.

>I just want manufacturing to come back to America.
Why?

Cause they're not going to.