EDH/Commander General

Favorite sword of X and Y edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/best-boros-commanders/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-eyes-braids/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-spoder-gurl/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-11-16-yidris-storm/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/etherium-mastery/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yidris-things-1/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Feast and Famine is definitely my favorite, but I really dig using Body and Mind in Lasav.

I'm too afraid of pitching a utility piece into their yard for me to use B&M. I do like the little tokens though.

Proper sword reporting in.

Feast and Famine is absolutely degenerate in Narset Voltron. Best fucking sword.

Just played Saskia against a friend today in Commander Duel. Holy Shit that thing is fast, and it's so straightfoward, a blast to play. Felt very Comfy, but that annoys me. I'm building way too streamlined decks just dropping strong, cheap and efficient beaters. The thing is that I don't feel very statisfied while winning or losing, it's just about rng and deckbuilding.

Which decks that I can play that are very interactive and skill intensive? I wanna lose because I fucked up and win because I played like a Pro.

So I saw Akiri in Breya and wanted to have some boro's fun.

I threw this together with what junk I had laying around. Gonna flesh out the manabase and add a few better artifacts later like Sunforger and Batterskull.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/best-boros-commanders/

So, anyone been able to try out Saskia yet? How is her deck out if the box? I haven't made a deck list yet, but just going for a ramp and combat focused deck.

Of course some damage doubling enchantments would be perfect, and so would an assault suit to spread the damage. I think giving her to the named player would be dumb, since they can't attack without hurting themselves also

To be fair, Narset makes every card degenerate.

As you're playing Akiri, Bruse Tarl and Stone Haven Outfitter might as well bring an Ally sub-theme.
Weapons Trainer could be there as it is a JorKaddeen-lite.
Resolute Blademaster is probably the most disgusting thing you can land on a board if you've gone a little wide.

>TFW you want to make another edh deck after a year but you want to save your money.

All these new cards that have come out and this new Chandra is just begging to go into my Radha deck.

(Last thread died right after so here REPOST:)

Here, I updated it and as I said I would, here is my current blue Braids list that I share with you guys

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-eyes-braids/

Manabase is decent, getting to 4 Colors isn't hard.
Hits like a fucking truck, a blast in Duel. In Multiplayer you're probably killing someone, but won't be able to win most of the times.
Not much to do besides tapping creatures and casting removals, tho.

I think I wanna do an Infect deck with Sidar Kondo. Who would be the best partner for him?

for infect? probably silas just to have access to UB

I thought about it, but I decided against it. I chose him honestly just to stay in Boros. I mean, I'll only ever cast him when I go for lethal with Akiri.

The outfitter will probably be scrapped by something like puresteel paladin or other equipment stuff.

Blade of Selves so I can swing with a stoneforge and get two more swords.

Making Naya tokens with Tana and Sidar Kondo. Will post once I finish the list.

Anyone else play combo Teysa (original Teysa). Any of the Com16 cards seem worth it? I'm not seeing much.

Only guy I've seen use a partner only used one of the cards and nothing to partner him with.

Most of them don't really synergize with each other that well, and overall they are pretty mediocre.

Absolutely fucking everyone is running Atraxa and I'm really tired of her.

Atraxa becomes fucking huge straight away because they always have a way to put a +1/+1 counter on it. At least a 3 swing kill, usually 2 swing kill. Then you add vigilance, lifelink and deathtouch, so nobody ever attacks you and she always gets to swing, so the player will end up at 60-70 life.

What are some good cards for mad Cascade shenanigans with Yidris?

Maelstrom Wanderer.

Play her with Silas Renn and play affinity EDH.

She gets fucking huge so fast for someone who only costs 2 mana.

Was playing a straight out of the box Breya today (My playgroup is doing a "gradual" deck improvement thing). Managed to drop Akiri with 14 artifacts in play, where three were plating, loxodon warhammer and swiftfoot boots. Swing for 31 lifelink trample first strike vigilance haste hexproof. Got the Atraxa player down from over 60 to only 30! Then all my artifacts got exiled by a merciless eviction and I basically lost on the spot.

None of them tutor for Darkest Hour or have fresh sac effects so no. Maybe Magus of the Will for enchantment recursion but Sun Titan does it so much better

Magus of the Will is pretty nice in grave heavy decks that tend to self-mill some. I'd slot him into Sidisi if I could find room. Speaking of Sidisi, I may add Ancient Excavation for that sweet hand refresh.

I was thinking I could play it politically, allying with some people, mostly against that one guy, when she hits field

I want to love Magus but the fact that you need to wait a turn makes it really hard to justify using him

I just bought a hundred dollars worth of fake lands from china men.
No ragrets

That's one of the reasons I've held back on him as well. He's cool as fuck and it'd be handy to have easy access to used up spells, but he's a little slow, which gives people time to remove him. At least he's less expensive than YawgWin.

Bought Yidris and GayBros and played them out of the box.

Yidris is just a boring Necusar deck, so I'm scrapping that and probably building voltron.

GayBros is actually fantastic as is, but I'm scrapping it to rebuild my Zedruu chaos deck. Maybe turn it less grouphug and more pillowfort control while adding in Angry Omnath to benefit off of those sweet, sweet land drops.

I think Akiri is best meant to be Voltron. I'm running her solo.

Critique, degenerates.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-spoder-gurl/

I'd add a partner commander just to have the option if need be. Bruse would still fit your setup and he'd be an always available body.

Dude I bought $200 worth. They're great.

Had a ton of fun with her at a sealed opening night commander night event at my lgs. Getting only one or two decent attacks in is enough to close out a game in 1v1, sometimes just one creature with double strike is enough. Dmg doublers are a given. The deck seems to want to go a little more wide than tall so maybe some better token creators or creatures that work well with a lot of others on the board would be good. White anthems and adriana capt of the guard will help with the weenies.

Another thing l was thinking about doing was attempting to get death touch and trample on as many creatures as possible as that guarantees plenty of combat damage even if block (only have to assign one point of dmg to the blocking creature cause that one is lethal with deathtouch). Not sure how to consistently do that though through an entire deck. Also while playing I did have a rough time drawing into necessary removal for when my opponent got too big. It might have been just my luck or maybe its a little light on removal for a a deck with the best removal colors in it. Also there are practically no board wipes for when you really need them.

My list needs a bit updating, I swapped Nath for Rhys the Exiled.

As for the sword list is clearly:
1. Fire and Ice
2. Feast and Famine
3. Light and Shadow
4. War and Peace
5. Body and Mind

>people see yidris precon as nekusar
>All I see is tasigur now with red

tbqh the only thing Ydris precon needs is Warp World.

Can we start posting Yidris secret tech?

>cascade trigger off of that
jesus christ

The Yidris cascade only triggers off spells cast from your hand.

So Villainous Wealth is no different from any other X spell

I was thinking I could try to run yard, but that could be because I have a fetish for reanimatior.

But going wife does seem good, making sure to get in there. The dream would be a mirror gallery and blade of selves on her. Smack everyone for a shit ton

Darksteel Forge, Mycosynth Lattice, and pic related

I know. But ideally you pump it to like 8+.

Do Myr Turbine and Unwinding Clock have a place in Breya or should I focus more on etb/flicker?

Hard control in a multi-player environment

Grand arbiter comes to mind

Not stax though, just lots of prison and counters

Building Atraxa infect / stax. Anyone got any spicy tech?

Yard could work, but I think there are other combat based commanders out there that are better suited for it than saskia. I feel that there are better ways to go with her, but thats just my opinion.

Havoc festival will easily leave people within one-shot range after a single turn cycle, and dropping a wound reflection post combat main phase could easily because to get people down to single digits unexpectedly if not outright kill whoever thought taking that 20+ damage wouldn't get them just yet.

Now if only I had those cards :(

I'm playing both, even though I am also focusing a lot on ETB

Politics and/or group hug?

Group slug? Trying to kill your opponents without killing yourself first sounds like fun to me.

Was tilted off the planet today by some 12 year old.

>4 person pod, me, my 2 buddies, and this kid
>Buddy A is playing Rashmi control, kid is playing narset, buddy B is playing EzUri, I'm on derpy sharuum
>game going well, Rashmi is doing rmp/draw/counter, I keep baiting counters to stick a mindslaver, ezuri building an army slowly, narset not doing much.
>kid apparently has to leave soon, asks if he can "booster tutor" (doesn't have card, just wants to do effect)
>don't really care much, he's leaving so who cares
>grabs conspiracy 2 booster, opens subterranean tremors, casts it for 8
>like half my mana is artifacts, but whatever, we'll rewind when he leaves
>stays for 20 more fucking minutes
>he finally leaves, we lose to Rashmi with capsize & forbid

Fuck chaos players, fuck group hug, fuck "lulz" plays. Never letting that shit slide again.

One friend of mine bought Atraxa and the other bought Breya

Which out of the other three is good enough to go up against these two?

Does anyone know what the fuck to do with this guy? I'm seriously at a loss on how to go about building him. Combo? Value? What? The only thing I'm actively trying to avoid is chaos because fuck taking 15 minutes to resolve a Thieves Auction.

Storm. Hit once and it's gg. Probably too slow/inconsistent, but it did well in test games on cockatrice.

why in the everliving fuck would you allow him to booster tutor in the first place?

You brought this on yourself.

Got a list?

Would you buy next year's Commander product if the theme was silver-bordered decks?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-11-16-yidris-storm/

Can with with either tendrils or Blue Suns Zenith. Typically tendrils.

Like I said, he said he was leaving soon, so I figured it wouldn't matter. Plus he needed to hit the one specific mythic rare that did something.

the deck he comes with is pretty fun to play already

>he said he was leaving soon

Which makes it a particularely bad idea? Why give someone the chance to fuck up everything when he has to leave?

Eh, it's just one game out of a thousand, and if it made the kid happy, it was probably worth it.

If you play him again, though, don't let him do it again.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/etherium-mastery/

This is my first draft of a 4c deck. How does the mana base look? Are thr artifact lands worth the extra utility even if it puts me at greater risk for Bane of Progress or Vandalblast?

Other suggestions are welcome, but I'm really most concerned with the manabase.

The other players were personal friends, we could have easily rewound 3 minutes of stupidity.

Never again.

I've tried out the partners in the Atraxa deck, and I think I honestly prefer using Ishai over Atraxa herself. You fly under the radar, for a while then move in for the one hit kill when no one suspects it.

If you're building an artifact deck you can't beat vandalblast or bane of progress without drawing your mass recursion or darksteel forge anyway so I wouldn't worry about your lands getting destroyed, the possibility of sac'ing them to Breya or goblin welder or something is good value

>le bad cards are good because you "fly under the radar" meme

I can't wait for this to end

How RNG is Ydris? I might buy it just for the shenanigans I can pull with the deck. Winning is secondary, maximum RNG insanity is primary.

Works for me.

Hey guys. Always plays green guy here and looking to build atraxa. While I could just build stax I feel like ive done that before and am pretty tired of it.
I bought the precon and really just enjoyed putting +1/+1 counters on everything. So what are some good cards for this list. Im already thinking biomancer, sage of hours, cathers crusade. What else tg?

I'd add 1-2 lands, also you have very few ways to interact, with 0 wrath or counter. You don't need 10 of each, but 1-3 go a long way.

As for cuts, Unburial Rites seems mediocre, same with salvaging station, hellkite tyrant, and aether spellbomb.

Why not play craps instead of ruining the game for your friends?

Better yet just open up Microsoft excel, use "=randbetween(0,100)" and go wild, have a ball

I'm thankful you're not in my playgroup.

I actually really like Unburial Rites. I've played it in Esper decks before alongside Intuition, and it's pretty great.
I'm going to test Salvaging Station and the spellbombs, since Breya can enable multiple Salvaging Station triggers per turn, and Aether Spellbomb can turn some of those triggers into draw.
I'll cut the Hellkite though, I guess it does seem unreliable without haste enablers.

Not that guy but why the massive hateboner for chaos strategies/decks?

Not that guy but I dislike dedicated chaos decks for the same reason I dislike no win con group hug because it draws out an already long game into tedium. It gets especially bad if you have a small play group in which case the big weird cards lose their novelty "oh boy thieves auction I never would have guessed."

Red and blue has all of the best cards for this.

Warp World, Chaosphere, Grip of Chaos, Confusion in the Ranks, Hive Mind, Eye of the Storm, Possibility Storm, Scrambleverse, Thieve's Auction, Cowardice, Goblin Game, etc.

I have built this deck, and trust me, you will get exactly one game out of it before people outright refuse to play you.

People just want to play the game and chaos decks can sometimes stop/inhibit that by either playing spells that just take forever to resolve like thieves auction or just by being a random annoyance. Its one thing to for another player to harm you in order for them to get a lead and win, but when someone is just being lolrandumXD and doing things without purpose its more of a pain in the ass than fun for everyone else.

I've actually hardly played commander with other people but I lurk these threads daily and this is just what lve gathered from reading other peoples thoughts

What if it's enchantment-based chaos and runs Opalessence and/or Starfield of Nyx? More/less acceptable?

As far as I'm concerned the more win cons in that sort of deck the better I would rather lose to someone than watch as my opponant stack chaos effects to make the game as unplayable as possible.

please don't get too upset with me posting this here but the thread I posted in is completely dead.

Can anyone tell me what these two trap cards are, to the left of the Solemn Strikes? Also the 6th and 10th monsters in the extra deck? These are the only cards I don't recognize and this is the only image I have of the deck

Lots of the storm cards.

Mainly mind's desire, shit can get bananas

They are get out, and wrong thread, respectively.

>tfw playing 3 player commander
>tfw zedruu shuts you off with pyromancer's swathe before you can even really do anything
>tfw he loses to the zombie tribal deck because he can't do anything about it, even though you could've done something about it if you hadn't been shut off
>tfw the zombie tribal deck was too big to deal with by the time zedruu died, so even the godliest topdeck wouldn't have worked
thanks zedruu

whats some secret tech for an Atraxa counters deck with a little bit of infect?

I already have City of Shadows

How viable and fun or broken can EDH Archenemy be?

Do you have to set the Archenemy to have 80 life while the rest of the players to be at 40?

>archenemy edh
Could be fun. But you have to have the right decks for it.
It's also probably more fun if people don't infinite combo out.

If you're talking about that variant with the special effects the archenemy gets, then that format is always unbearably imbalanced in favor of the archenemy, if anything they need to start at 20 or 30 life

Multiplayer edh is already archenemy half the time because it's not that common that's everybody starts equally well, yet the archenemy still wins because that's how you build a multiplayer deck, you need to be able to win when everybody is gunning for you

Giving that person absurdly strong effects for free is just stupid as hell

in terms of out of box strength what are the best and worst of the new precons? Which one is the best after tweaking?

i played a few games with the precons, Yidris and Kynaios and Tiro seem to be the strongest decks. Breya and Atraxa didn't seem to do much. Your mileage may vary.

Breya and actually surprisingly Gay Kings seem really functional right out of the box. Atraxa is also good, largely on the back of how broken its Commander is. Saskia feels good, but kind of forces you to pick one enemy and it's hard to win the actual match. Yidris is fun, but his deck doesn't really feel like it fits him super well, it might even be better to go with Vial Smasher and Kydele as your Commanders.

I think Atraxa and Breya are probably the strongest after tweaking, although they all have potential to be great build-arounds.

This is the way Yidris is supposed to be played. I cringe every time some retarded Timmy gets all giddy about ramping into fatties because "muh free fatties". No, fucktard, you're going to cascade into ramp spells that you don't need anymore because you can already afford your shitty Terrastomper. Cascade is at its best when you can cast multiple low-CMC spells to produce more value.

Here's my list, it's a bit more budget than yours so obviously not as pushed. Still working on it.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yidris-things-1/

there is really no reason to not play with a partner unless your voltron deck needs all 99 cards in its deck. worst case scenario your deck is 1% more consistent.

I put together Akiri + Kraum and it's quite nice. The addition of blue helps the problems Boros faces with draw, as well as adding some unblockability should you need it. Kraum makes for a nice, flying, hasty secondary body if your Akiri tax has gotten to high or she is otherwise disabled.

Add a partner. If you don't want Bruse, you can just splash a color.

I don't have any swords so I hate all the swords.

Storming off is probably the best thing you can do with him, but I think Yidris is open-ended enough to support a lot of builds. Cascade is one of those abilities that is just going to propel you forward, even if all you're hitting with it is ramp and card draw.

>excluding best sword

>forgetting this fucking insane card

that's a club idort

Obviously Doubling Season if you're willing to shell out the cash for it, Primal Vigor if you're confident you'll outpace anyone else at the table. Regular Vigor is fun too, though his GGG cost might be wonky in a quad colored deck. I just threw together an Atraxa deck using leftovers. Nothing really stellar outside of what comes in it, though I tossed in the Mephadross Vampire/Triskelion combo. That alone basically wipes the board, and paired with Hardened Scales, Corpsejack Menace, and/or any other +1/+1 booster and you get and stupidly big fatty to boot.