/dlg/ - Destiny Lore General

Son I am Disappoint Edition

Greetings Guardians! With Oryx and his immediate family dead there his two sisters are still out there and one of them has a pet Vex Mind that knows Sword Logic. What sort of fucked up creations could come of a Vex/Hive mix-up?

I wanna fuck the Darkness.

Don't stick your dick in Darkness kids. Toland did that and now he's swimming in the Hive afterlife.

Coincidentally, I also wanna fuck that afterlife.

>wanting to fuck your uncle

Mara Sov is the true waifu. still waiting for her to start speaking though the sword and tell us to stop picking on eris and hurry up and get her a body

I'm pretty sure I have no familial relation to the Darkness, user. Your implications are baseless and idiotic. I merely wish to do the sex with the Darkness, for I hear he is a pretty cool dude.

>Not picking on Eris

She likes it and you know it, she's just tsun.

That said Patra for Queen
>#MaketheReefGreatAgain

Calling it now, Quria's going to usurp the sisters as main villain of their expansion.

That's Toland's good end, though.

The Reef are dummies. They think they can tip toe around the conflict, when they ought to know the Light is the truest path. The sky is the harder way, but kinder.

Sure, the Darkness won't throw any cryptic messages at you and talk all high minded like but don't they they won't two face you in a heart beat. But then again the Traveller does some to have commitment issues and fairly possessive former spouses like the Fallen.

>petra for queen

when Mara comes out of the sword, i'll tell her you instigated treason against Uldren

>Calling it now, Quria's going to usurp the sisters as main villain of their expansion.

Same. Savathun is going to think she's smart and shit and Quria is going to pull a fast one on here. Here's for Vex/Hive. That said, I hope this also allows Osiris to be brought in in a big way since he's suppose to be swimming around in the Vex Network and Toland supposedly could hear him in the afterlife.

Osiris would be fun, it's always nice to see protagonist factions that think the Traveller is full of shit.

Speaking of, chances that Quria tries to tap into the light? Chances that it succeeds?

I doubt it. Afterall it was Quria that decided to try worshipping the worm, albeit without mixing thier mind fluid with them.

My thinking is Savathun will do just that for shits and giggles and Quria will go full Worm/Darkness worship

The Traveller isn't full of shit though. It's not as straight forward as the City thinks it is, but it's still the correct path to follow of the two.

Quria worshipped the worms for power though, not because it actually gave a shit about the worms or the darkness. If it hears that Oryx got rekt by someone using the Light, it may well decide that the Light is another force that it would be nice to tap into.

>of the two
There's your problem.
And I didn't say the Traveller was full of shit, I said it was nice to see protagonist factions that thought the Traveller was full of shit.

Yeah, looking back on the Book of Sorrows it makes it seem like the Traveller was behind the God Wave but it's also perfectly possible to believe the Worms were behind it to get anyone who could get in the Needle ship and down to them in their corner.

Still doesn't excuse the fact it pussied out every chance until Rasputin slip his heels and made him stay.

Are you telling me Oryx worshiped the Worms for anything other than power?

You can't do both. They are anathema to each other.

It's locked in a giant neutronium ball. It's been lobotomized or something. Someone did something terrible to it and bonsai'd it. I think it ought to be as strong as the Dark, but something happened and it was stuck in this weak solid form.

It's different. Oryx bought into the ideology of the Darkness, the Vex are almost explicitly just going through the motions.

And the fuck are you talking about not being able to do both? The Deathsingers created the annihilator totems using power granted by the Sky.

>Quria worshipped the worms for power though, not because it actually gave a shit about the worms or the darkness. If it hears that Oryx got rekt by someone using the Light, it may well decide that the Light is another force that it would be nice to tap into.

Oryx was also able to bypass the worms and directly commune with Darkness itself. Realizing this it will probably come to the same conclusions that he did and create it's own Tablets of Ruin to do so.

Why didn't Oryx just take the Traveler?

Not going to lie, I would be cool with that.

Because Muh Light, seriously you might as well ask why Oryx didn't take the Guardians. The answer is Light.

No. They created it from little s sky. Capital S Sky had nothing to with it.

Anyone else sick of all the wank FWC gets? Okay, so they have a machine that lets them see the future and drives you crazy, meanwhile we have one group that wants to bail but sticks around for reasons and then New Monarchy that hate the speaker but don't seem to do shit

No Monarchy kinda have the right idea though. The city is too divided right now, and they were there personally for when it almost torn the whole thing apart. They defended the Speaker when no one else could.

Dead Orbit sticks around because they don't want to leave so many behind. They think what they're doing is right and are still trying to build up resources and public support. They're dumb as fuck though. Running would just turn us into the Fallen.

Firstly, 'pulling a sword-star out of the sky' probably does have something to do with the Capital S Sky, unless you have another idea where it could have come from and why that language and origin were chosen in particular?

Secondly, even assuming that this isn't the case there's still nothing that actually says that it's impossible to take power from both forces. It's probably not wise, but iirc it's never explicitly stated to be impossible.

>not realizing that DO has spent the entirety of TTK gathering as much hadium as they can and are making a fleet of super ships after they are infused with all the motes of light guardians give them

this is why DO usually has top-tier gear, and this trend continued into RoI

Well it's not like they can't get light from people they kill and use it. The Gift Mast was a light item wasn't it?

So, is there a destiny RPG out there? Or do you guys just like the game and enjoy talking about the lore? Or do you just like talking about the lore and don't even know how to play the game?

They do not use Sky and sky interchangeably in the Books. Go search for the word, you can tell they have different contexts. Sky is the Traveller and light and sky generally refers to space or other conventional physics stuff. Pulling a weapon from the sky probably means crafting something from really powerful cosmic forces, like bosons or neutron waves or some other techno-babble. Pulling a weapon from the Sky would be totally different, and would have a lot more importance in the story.

I've wanted to translate certain ideas to a homebrew setting for D&D but I've been thinking an RPG based on the game would be cool as well.

The main complication translating FPS ideas and sensibilities into TT format and filling in the blanks where the Grimore Cards don't.

For instance, all we know about the City is the Tower and you see the rest of the city from the top of it and never interact with anything else.

>The Taken Dick.

So was Rasputin using the Fallen, or was SIVA? I'm inclined to think it was the later, but I've heard some things about the former.

It's heavily implied that Rasputin had control of SIVA at least until the Devils some how managed to get it considering how much resistance Rasputin threw at the Iron Lords when they first went down in the Plague Lands.

How did Rasputin and the Iron Lords come to be at odds anyway? Who started it?

I know, but then in the SIVA grimoire cards it seems like SIVA is puppeting the Fallen in it's animalistic insect sort of way. So why did Rasputin give up/lose control of it?

Rasputin did. They tried to take SIVA, and he didn't bother telling them they were a bunch of a dumbasses who couldn't hope to control it. He just started shooting.

I always wondered if the traveler wasn't a force of good as hive fucker and Osiris thought, but rather something imprisoned and the guardians were guardians not in the conventional sense as protectors but jailers.

Think about it, the traveler wasn't even going to be good anyway in the original story.

Look at the guardians, literal undead souls brought forth fight.

Look at the hive, more a force of entropy who can only consume and die.

The Vex are weird though. They're not technically life, but live. Computers that live from logic but worship the darkness as a god.

It's this weird spectrum where even the fallen fall on it, being closer to the light of the traveler but still being an instrument of the darkness. Cabal being neutral of course.

So if you examine the darkness, the hive, look at it as the extreme, can you imagine the light? And why someone would lock it up? The light needs to exist. Unhindered and its no better than the darkness. So lock it up, and knowing that the darkness will come after it, send it through the galaxy, to other species that under the jail's filtered light, will astronomically grow and come to guard it. It's genius because it can easily move on if need be.

SIVA follows whatever order it was given until another one is given. I forget which Grimore card it is but essentialy Rasputin doesn't bother to tell SIVA not to consume and perfect and just goes to sleep after Saladin limps away.

rasputin is just a crazy old man with doomsday weapons. SIVA was one that he let loose to deal with the iron lords when they got a little too close to his lawn, and he may or may not at the time have been controlling it, but he probably was in full control when he engaged in echii stuff with jolder

when the fallen found SIVA, Axsis plugged himself in. he went balls deep no lube or condom deep in to SIVA and fully interfaced with it, leaving the eliksni behind and becoming a consciousnesses inside SIVA. at this point, he is SIVA, or, at least he thinks he is. there is a second thing in there with him that he thinks might be puppeting him since he can't tell where his mind starts and SIVA programming begins. is it actually something nudging him in certain directions? is it a reamnent of his mind that didn't go full SIVA?

I think someone who worshipped/got aid from the Traveler accidentally did it at some point. The whole structure constricts the light, but is also made/permeated with it.

Also, Guardians were something that had never existed before.

I think the Traveller is evil, but the Light is good. The Traveller is keeping the Light all cooped up, when it should be out being a cosmic force. When Rasputin blew it the fuck up, he released some of the Light trapped inside and it was enough to push the Darkness out to the Outer System.

Makes sense to me. SIVA is now out of direct contact with Rasputin, so he can't give it orders anymore.

Even if SIVA completely consumes the Fallen who took it into them I think they may have completely altered SIVA.

Like you said, Aksis dived bomb into SIVA's moist clusters and in the grimoire cards his thoughts are randomly inerspersed with SIVA's command to Consume and Perfect.

I wouldn't be surprised if SIVA comes back as a monster truly of it's own with Rasputin blasting classical music at max crying for help.

>SIVA merges with Quria

> The Dick has taken the Darkness.

>SIVA infects the Vex
>Creates the SIVA Directive
>Try to jumpstart the Black Garden with SIVA at the center of it

Frankly if a game was made out of it setting post Collapse/Pre-city would be neat and leave a lot of room for groups to roll around as well before the Iron Lords roll in and start curb stomping Warlords left and right

Ah. Do you still play the game?

> SIVA sets it's sights on the Hive.

>SIVA gets Taken

> The Taken are taken by SIVA.

I'm waiting for Destiny 2 so I can get on the train at the outset, I don't want to shell out for a Xbone and PS4

Can SIVA be Taken? You can only Take living hosts, hence why there are dead bodies all over the Cabal base untaken, there are no Taken robots, and Guardians can't be taken (probably?), but SIVA is partly organic. Does that count as alive? Can you Take trees and shit?

Oh, so you want to play but you just want to wait until it's more available to you? That's cool.

Seeing as there is no one else with the power to Take that won't be a problem. That said, I imagine individuals infected by Siva can be taken themselves as the Vex can be taken.

The Vex are only partly organic and they can be Taken.
Not sure what you'd gain from Taking a tree, but I bet Oryx has tried it before.

Well I missed out when it did come out and only recently got into it via the Lore and seeing as Iron Lords is more than likely it until Destiny 2 I have no reason to get invested in it until it starts fresh again.

Oh you're right. There are no Taken Shanks though, so I guess I just stupidly assumed it was for a reason other than gameplay.

It takes something like the concentrated power of reality warping Gods to permenatly kill Guardians.

SIVA can fucking warp them into mindless puppets non-respawning puppets. forever.

We don't know jack shit about this man-made horror.

That's probably for the best. I feel like the old content would play really weirdly right now.

Those books are full of lies!

Not true. You can just shoot the ghosts if you have good enough reflexes. That's what Felwinter does.

>Savathun pls.

user, I'm saying that something like that is in SIVA's capabilities. Unless you're responding to wrong post or something.

That and who's there to play with when they already acheived everything? It's always the way it seems with games like that.

Naw, there are tons of people still grinding. Making new characters, just getting into the game. It doesn't take that long to beat all the single player content, but it takes a good while to actually get to end game. I made a new character when RoI came out and it took me about a weekend of playing to get to the Rise of Iron content.

You'd be a little behind resource wise, but generally speaking you'd be okay.

That's good to hear but that would require me to get a console and really the only one I want to get is the Switch when it comes out being the gigantic faggot that I am.

Then again it all depends, I do want the FF7 so I might pony up for a new PS4 for that purpose.

I haven't seen this general around, this new? Definitely not unwelcome, just surprised Veeky Forums has such a fascination with this universe. I love it, but I've always been sort of conditioned to regard it as a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Hoping to somehow translate this to D&D or Pathfinder, it'd be fairly easy with the loose framework and lots of wiggle room attached to the warlord/post-collapse era.

True. I actually won my PS4 in a contest around the time the console first came out, so I tend to forget not everyone has upgraded yet. I can't even afford a replacement controller for the one I lost.

Well, Destiny 2 seems to be right around the corner relatively speaking. It'll probably get announced at this years E3 or maybe earlier.

Honestly, with a little expansion, it would probably be fine just before the main character wakes up. They don't talk about it much, but there must still be small settlements all across Earth and the Solar system. The City not being expanded on kinda sucks, but I think it leaves more room to write your own fluff on the fly during games.

The only problem I can really think of that doesn't have anything to do with the time required to balance spells or classes associated with the Destiny classes is actually the distinct lack of powerful enemies aside from the ones in the main story.

The Guardian from the campaign kinda kills everything that could have possibly been a threat, honestly.

Yeah, that's something I'm not particularly fond of about Destiny.
You hear about all these awesome characters in the lore doing awesome shit and then some asshole comes along and kills them for loot while doing a dance.

True. The only two races that haven't been almost completely raped in terms of BBEG availability are the Cabal and the Vex, the latter less so than the former.

It'd be nearly impossible to come up with a logical way to add in a fallen BBEG because all of the houses save house Kings are leaderless and rag-tag, and the only leaders left in the Hive are likely light-years away.

When you think about it it come come to some sort of destined fate crap or whatever where the MC is the guy to get shit done so any meaningful TT game would have to take place before the MC is rezed.

It sorta is as bringing up Destiny before was usually shot down or just ignored which is werid when you look at the other lore generals but really it's just a matter of persistance. I hope this won't be the first and last general for Destiny talk .

Tbh if I were to run a destiny game it would take place in the same time as the games, but in a different timeline where the player Guardian got shrek'd by the Devil Archon in the first mission.

Perfectly doable I think considering how much time fuckery is being implied. There's no reason to think the MC didn't have some buddies with him when he goes around doing the things he does.

This is actually a pretty good idea.

I always imagined by three characters who are all in one fire team and they're the ones who get everything done together. I spent way too much time constructing a narrative around the three of them.

So assuming we make a PnP game of it, what do we do with the sublcasses? Do you allow the abilities to be swapped out like in the game or do you lock a character into a class and then expand the abilities in ways not present in the game?

Do we make more sublcasses to choose from? It seems like most abilities are based on your grenades and your supers so being able to "channel your light" and reconfigure your grenade to make a blanket AOE of arc energy to slow down enemies and then later make one that sticks to a wall and goes off whenever someone goes by seems like something that can be done.

I say do away with subclasses entirely. Each class has a bunch of unique skills/abilties, but there should also be a pool of Light abilities and more mundane skills everyone can pull from. The light equivalent of cantrips I guess.

Yeah, the fireteam aspect is central I feel. I mean, even the main NPCs were all in Firetimes such as Eris and her group or Kabr and his guys when they assaulted the Vault of Glass

There is merit to that when you consider Felwinter merc'd a dude with an ability he said he learned from Jolder even though he's suppose to be a Warlock I think.

There should also be a social dynamic as well sort of like how EP gives you rep with different groups so something like that could work with Destiny as well seeing as you move around doing jobs for all the factions involved with bonuses/penalties for either being fully aligned with one group or being unaligned

Well, ultimately all of the Guardians draw their power from the same source. There is nothing inherently different between a Warlock and a Titan, they have just learned to fight and use their Light in different ways.
If you were to set the game early enough, I'd say you should jsut do away with the class system entirely.

Are we trying to map the game mechanically to an
RPG or are we trying to play something in the Destiny universe?

I mean, the Warlock/Titan/Hunter division seems like it could be a lot looser than is presented in game. It's more like philosophical schools you can subscribe to. Like, a character might have all Warlock abilities, but were heavy armor and believe in being a defender of the city first so people might call them a Titan.

I have to respectfully disagree with you, . Each class should have three subclasses (one for each elemental type), but let the subclasses be more fluid. For example, if a sunsinger doesn't like his radiance ability, he can always just "channel" his super into a big ol' fire ball or something like that.

Options within the existing subclasses make more sense. Like you said, a Sunsinger could go from being a healer to covering themselves in fire and kamikazing into a group of enemies as an alternate ability.

I would be down for Defenders able to condense their shield down to fit on their arms and Captain America the fuck out of people

I just feel like restricting yourself to one elemental subclass when you can't switch on the fly seems really awkward to me.

Also, I'll be honest, I never liked the way the games handled elements. I dunno if it would translate well into an RPG.

Eh, just make them disciplines.
You can specialise in one discipline to the point of mastery or you can dabble in multiple ones at the expense of not being as good with them.

>Hoping to somehow translate this to D&D or Pathfinder

user, you're missing the delicious irony of running this in Traveller.

Well it's not as if you need exact elemental weakness to defeat enemies but they do define a large part of the subclasses but an RPG gives us the ability to add options not present and not needed for a shooter.

I see Sunsingers as healers and doctors so having a Sunsinger who can channel their ability to heal wounds would be something we can do.

I would go so far as to even add an Ice element (representing cold and entropy and all that jazz)

Destiny TTRPG should take place in an alternative universe, letting the players explore smaller stories and working their way up to bigger fish.

I think the game would be better with more diversity, so you have 9 options instead of 3.

Maybe they can change their subclass, but they'll have to be exposed to lots of light (so only during social spaces or when the GM allows it), or maybe even just have a base element, and they have a choice of a secondary element ability they can use.

Naw, entropy would be the fabled green and stinky element.

Also, problem with thinking about subclasses like that is Destiny 2 is getting entirely new ones. Here's the supposed leaked concept/teaser art for the Titan subclass. It's flamey, and got a shield.

To be honest, I think concrete subclasses should be done away with in favour of separate elemental proficiency and fighting styles.

So how about this.

You pick your primary subclass. This determines the bulk of your powers you have access to but then you have branches that allow you abilities similar to what you'd have in the alternate classes.

A Defender Titan starts branching into the Striker path so he can shape his Void Shied into a spear like covering around him and bull rush into people. Branching into the sun breaker path lets him make orbs of void to throw at them.

I agree. Like defensive and offensive for titans, destruction and support for warlocks, and idk for hunters. Stealth and something? Then you can add whatever elemental flavor you want.

Ok, ok, fine, a branching path sounds pretty cool. But I still want the chance to go full void lock though and just grenade every 5 seconds.

I don't see why that shouldn't be possible. Just sink all of your XP into void abilities.