What are your thoughts on adventurers changing physically as they level...

What are your thoughts on adventurers changing physically as they level, maybe even being unrecognizable by the time they come home?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Classic_Blunder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The one on the far right looks nervous.

Is she afraid she's going to ping as evil or something?

Well, one of my former characters turned into a non-metaphorical devil, so...

I think you have a transformation fetish. Go play some Corruption of Champions.

>thinks
nigga I know I have one. But this isn't about that.

No one ever comes back the same.

Everyone experiences change throughout a journey, and in a combat related profession physical "changes" are even more likely.

One of my favorite systems, Earthdawn, has adepts (all PCs are adepts) constantly using magic. All the classes, even the fighty ones like fighter and swordmaster, are constantly using magic. If magic had transformative effects in-setting (Which, in Earthdawn, it does not, not like that), then yeah, they probably wouldn't even be recognizable as being of x race by the time they hit fifth circle.

So if magic being transformative is a thing in your setting and PCs constantly using magic regardless of class is a thing, then yeah, it makes absolute perfect sense. In settings where those are not both true, it makes rather less sense.

>Far left: looks concerned, rightfully so. Proper clothing conduct, possible hire.
>Mid left: untidy hair, improper workplace attire.clearly trying to seduce. Cannot keep her focus in the interview. Not hired
>Straight stern look of confidence. Proper protection. Clearly director material.
>Mid right: clearly a drama queen. Could possibly turn out as a bitch and start trouble with other workers. Not hired
>far right: Solid stare, proper outfit. Approved.

you might have autism cause reading peoples expressions is clearly a problem for you.

Well then Mr. Smartman, what's that face trying to convey? That she's feeling second-hand embarrassment for the woman wearing that to a professional job interview?

Those aren't people, user, they're animus

Because the sweat on her brow clearly signifies how utterly aroused she is, right user?

From left to right you autismal fuck:
>Semi-curious disdain
>Clearly doesn't want to be associated
>Knows she's improperly dressed but rolling with it anyway
>Annoyed disdain
>Keeping a straight face to conceal possible laughter, worry, or to appear professional

They're all about to get fucked by fat orcs.

>Armor of the fire scorpion
>ever improper

If you haven't gotten some scars, become more lean, and/or changed personality-wise, you haven't been on an adventure worth talking about at the tavern.

#4 is best girl

>Battle-scarred, wounded, loss of limbs, psychologically wounded/destroyed
This is fine.

>Warping their bodies into half horse-frog people with a useless butt-arm/Turning them into joy mutants
I would say this is over the top, but really depends on the setting.

>farmer's daughter runs off to glorious tales of adventure rather than be married off as per usual
>comes back ten years down the line as a wall of muscle stronger than the whole herd of oxen

>clearly trying to seduce
She's the one showing the least skin

I only needed a personal assistant, but screw it I will hire the hero girl. I can teach her to type and run my errands, but she can double as a bodyguard and eye candy is always nice.

Also worried not one guy made it past the pre-screening. Need to check on HR and ensure that qualified men aren't being given a fair shot. I don't want to get sued.

They're all in various states of nervousness, far right doesn't look like she's holding back laughter, she looks like she's faking a smile and ignoring the awkward situation.

>Also worried not one guy made it past the pre-screening. Need to check on HR and ensure that qualified men aren't being given a fair shot. I don't want to get sued.
I think you botched something in that paragraph. Double negatives in the end of second sentence?

Shit. Sorry meant to say I would make sure they got a shot.

Sometimes it's silly if your stats have no effect on your appearance.
Example; there are creatures with 24 strength that are known to rip trees out of the ground for fun, I have have played and ordinary looking small child that was that strong.

She's not human. Humans don't have purple eyes.

>grabs the man that was the boy she was betrothed to under one arm
>barrel of bone-mending potion under another
>vanishes from public for a couple more days

What? She gave up everything she had to get away from the guy, and now years later she comes back and suddenly wants him?
Pssh, women.

Well you know how it is, that constantly dirty prankster grown into a chill and sweet guy.

I have a soft spot for characters who change and go through a good few adventures that turn them from cute boys into handsome men

I have a soft spot for characters who change and go through a good few adventures that turn them from cute boys into cute girls.

The girl on the right has a pretty solid poker face. This is company representative material right here.

The one in the middle is stern, confident and has good eyecontact. Upper management material.

The other three? Interns at best.

Of all the ones with button-up shirts hers is the one unbuttoned the lowest, the rest of whom having the professionalism to button up to the next as per regulation.

Far left has a 'modest' skirt that doesn't risk sexual harassment complaints just by looking at her. Hell, her collar isn't even properly corralled.
Middle is clearly from a culture in which said attire is either accepted or required and at least has the decency of keeping her legs closed. She's the most likely to be hired due to diversity reasons (yay bigger budget and tax breaks).
Mid right, he is right about.
Far right, while her skirt is shorter than Far left, she is most likely the most chaste of them all and convinced to wear that short of a skirt from a well-meaning friend. She at least has the decency to keep her legs shut and is making an attempt at paying attention (unlike Far left, Mid Left, and Mid Right).

>Hell, her collar isn't even properly corralled.
meant to be pointed toward Mid Left. Oops.

>Knows she's improperly dressed but rolling with it anyway
The moment when you're the middle one, and got the job.

>Walked right into an interview wearing a graphic T-shirt with a D&D design in it, a pair of old blue jeans and some crappy 12-dollar Wal-Mart brand shoes.
>Looked out of place as fuck surrounded by about two dozen well-dressed men and women, but didn't give a fuck.
>Only one that got hired because, apparently, I was the only one that actually talked to the manager like an actual human being and had the balls to show up dress like that.

Feels Good Man.

My human sorcerer had a wild magic surge and died, causing him to be reincarnated as a female half elf, so...

Hey, we have the same fetish
Brofist.jpg

Things that never happened

They can actually.

>Walked right into an interview wearing a graphic T-shirt with a D&D design in it, a pair of old blue jeans and some crappy 12-dollar Wal-Mart brand shoes.
>Looked out of place as fuck surrounded by about two dozen well-dressed men and women, but didn't give a fuck.
>Only one that got hired because, apparently, I was the only one that actually talked to the manager like an actual human being and had the balls to show up dress like that.

AND MY BOSS'S NAME WAS ALBERT EINSTEIN

If you're albino, yes.

Depends on exactly what you mean, but in D&D 5e I have a policy of assuming that my character picks up a scar, mark, or other trait each time she takes enough damage to reduce her to less than 0 hit points.

So far (level 12):
- Scar across her outer thigh, from a half-blue dragon's spear stab
- Scar in stomach, from the same half blue-dragon's same spear (different occasion)
- Mild numbness in pinkies from having once been frozen solid by a white dragon
- 2 locks of hair are transparent, from the effects of wraiths (on two separate occasions) (they would have turned white, but my character is drow and thus already has white hair)
- Weirdly discolored skin on right ribs, from magic missiles
- Scar on forehead, from Earth elemental smacking her
- Occasional weird cough, from water elemental drowning her
- Somewhat warped flesh (think Palpatine) on left forearm and hand, from blue dragon's lightning breath.

Most of these can be removed via magic, which she'll probably make use of for the hand and cough, assuming the cough doesn't go away on its own.

Look, I know that his story sounds like crap, but it's all true. I was there and I saw everything.

I was the graphic t-shirt

I played a Great Old One warlock who's entire thing was that he slowly turned into an alien squid monstrosity. Eventually (around level 16) he had no mouth and could only communicate telepathically.

Storytime?

I shiggy-diggy dig that

I'll have a go at it if you like.

> Because our group is terrible at getting it's shit together, we run mini campaigns from time to time
> I had an idea for a pact blade warlock that could infinitely stack temp HP and become an absolute beast
> 5 minutes into the session the DM informs me that you can't stack temp HP
> I decided to roll with the character anyway, but converted him from a fiend pact to a Great Old One
> Had just watched a playthrough of bloodborne, so I decided to flavor his eldritch blast after the Augur of Ebrietas and pact blade after the Kos Parasite
> Finished the test campaign and our full group actually managed to get together
> DM wanted to try a campagin with a bit of a horror atmosphere
> My character fit right in, so I used him

> The group washed up on the shore of an island after a shipwreck
> We all instantly felt something was off, since the place was deserted, no fish in the sea, no animals in the jungle
> Good thing the druid had goodberry
> Explore inland and find a mountain
> The sun's setting, but the ranger catches a glimpse of some people leaving, and closing a pair of massive stone doors behind them
> Being murderhobos, we decide to go inside, even though the entire thing screams "Evil murder cult trap"
> Surprise
> We get ambushed by a zombie naga and his skeletal minions
> The druid discovers that summon animals is OP is hell and quickly melts everything
> We then proceed to investigate the area
> There's a room with weird red gems and a dead guy
> The druid eats a gem and promptly gets his max HP halved permanently
> A black flame appears in the main room
> We realize we're gonna have to do a bunch of dangerous ritual shit to open the path
> Find another room with a guy with his throat slit open lying in a basin half filled with blood
> Ranger fills the rest with his own blood, passes out, and wakes up without any spell slots
> A white flame appears in the main room
> Theres a locked door with a hole and drawings of people offering the flames to it
> Looks like it's my turn to do crazy ritual shit and get crazy debuffs
> But I'm a warlock
> Instead of grabbing the flames with my hands, I carry them with my pact 'blade' tentacles, which are manifestations of my Great Old One's own infinite tentacles
> The Great Old One gets the debuffs, not me, and gives approximately 0 fucks about them, being a nigh all powerful alien creature
> And so begins my transformation into a ball of tentacles

> Inside the room that was unlocked by the fires, we find the Book of Vile Darkness
> I take it, of course, because my character's flaw is basically 'cannot curb curiosity, especially about dangerous magical artifacts'
> It drives me even more insane, deepening my connection to the Great Old One
> Fingers start to permanently elongate, and my horns (tiefling) were basically just tentacles now
> Skin starts to become sickly and pale
> Campaign continues, creepy shit goes down, etc etc.
> After every encounter, I become a little bit more alien
> By level 10, my skin is completely grey, my eyes glow a sickly green, I have no hair and my hands are permanently replaced with tentacles
> By level 13, my entire arms are tentacles, just as they are when I'm using my pact 'blade' and I have no distinct feet, toes or genitals
> By level 16, I have no orifices whatsoever, and am starting to lose bones. I've permanently linked my mind with the ranger, and can use telepathy to talk to anybody else
> I also can't go out in public, and have to use illusions whenever I'm speaking to people

Can't wait till this character hits 20. Who knows what he'll be by then.

I wonder if far right has the same stressed look on her face once I take my dick out for her to suck.

I think is cool, like in Fable, you end up buff, tall, scarred, horned and covered in glowing magical tattoos.
inb4 >Fable

Good news, and bad news sir. Bad news is our security manager has been caught stealing company assets, the good news is, I think we can hire both qualified candidates now that a second position's opened up.

I think the problem with a lot of my characters is that, while only novices, they're usually already adventurers so they tend to look pretty recognizable to their families when they do drop by.

>mfw this thread

>that feel when there are people in this thread who won't get the full meaning of that image.

>hers is unbuttoned the lowest
Because she has the largest breasts, you dingus. Or are you going to tell me that every female with a pair of knockers is constantly trying to seduce literally every male they interact with?

>Wizard girl comes home months later with pointy ears and pale skin.
>Dwarf girl returns with spiraled horns
>Druid is laughing stock of village as birds take up residence in his hair.
>I've grown a beard in a place beards shouldn't grow.
Yup.

How do you mean, exactly? Like, being scarred and hardened and just beaten down or so grizzled that no-one recognises them? Shape-shifted somehow? Or just generally, as they grow more powerful, becoming something different and better than a baseline human?

That last one may or may not be my fetish...

Is there a story behind all this

It's good if magic makes them become cuter!

Boys too. I accept gender bending.[/spoilers]

I meant the latter, but really anything works.

Dank. Keep us posted.

But anime was literally designed to appeal to autists who couldn't read facial expressions.
And that expression is definitely nervousness, so you clearly have some sort of hyper-autism, where even anime faces are alien to you.

I thought anime was literally designed to save budget

By level 20, you'll be some sort of hentai monster.

It was designed for a lot of things, but the huge eyes and shit was for autists. It's why there's so many autistic anime fans.

No, that's wrong. It was literally designed to be japanese cartoons.

It got the huge eye shit from Donald duck cartoons.

>tfw im one of them

pls spoonfeed, is there more to this image than just face value? references and the like?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Classic_Blunder

The huge eyes and face shit was specifically for budget, new user.
T. Ancient anime aliens

This.
Western and eastern animation has always been in a tennis match of influencing each other, so anime faces can be traced back to characters like Betty Boop.

Tezuka originally took the large eyes from didney cartoons. Manga artists stuck with it in part because Tezuka did it and in part because eyes are considered to be what are most expressessive of emotions in Japanese culture. That's why you see large mouths on western cartoon characters, but usually not on manga characters. If there's a large mouth on an manga character, it's usually either because that's part of that particular artist's style, or because that character is supposed to be a boor or a loudmouth.

Also, if the artists were designing their characters for the benefit of autists, they wouldn't give them big eyes. Autists hate eye contact.. Not that the guy who said that wasn't trolling, of course.

>hey wouldn't give them big eyes. Autists hate eye contact..
You have it the wrong way around. Looking at animu eyes is heaven for an autist, because the animu isn't looking back so it's not really eye contact.

That sounds explicitly wrong

You'll need an explicit argument for such an explicit claim.

Simple.
There is no such thing as autist heaven.
Also, the ancient aliens were pretty clear on it being a budget thing.

Different user, but I partially agree with the user arguing with you. It's not that autists don't enjoy eye contact so much as that they don't seek it, their brains just don't work that way. So while normal people will spend most of their viewing time looking at people's eyes, an autistic person will have a random viewing distribution around the entire person, and some in the background. Basically, what I'm saying is that both of you autists don't know shit about what makes an autist an autist.

user, when I said explicit I meant explicit, not "memespeak and dumb semantics". I mean, those can be there incidentally if you want, but you can't make an argument out of them.

The eye contact thing is his brainfart, not mine. He's the one who said anime can't be for autists because autists hate eyes or something.

>can't believe no one has mentioned that one of the main reasons the style is popular and has stuck around is because it's fucking cute.

You're the one who insisted autists love eyes, user.
Are you so autistic you forgot your own argument?

user, he's an autist.
He doesnt understand what cute is.

I didn't make an argument, I just took apart yours here:
>Also, if the artists were designing their characters for the benefit of autists, they wouldn't give them big eyes. Autists hate eye contact..
That bit really doesn't make any sense. It's easy to see that it wasn't thought out at all.

should have taken photo copier operation instead of that armor proficiency desu.

But user, you were explicitly wrong in every step of the process after you got assblasted about your autism theories.
I think you might legit have memory problems.

Nah, that makes sense.

You're just memeing. I'm still waiting for your explicit argument btw.

Nah, it doesn't.

Haven't you ever seen The Princess Bride?

Yeah it does.
Only an autist wouldnt get it.

The argunent against you was as explicit as it could be. I mean, you said "nuh uh" and thats it.

can we please stop saying "explicit" and "autist"

it is explicitly triggering my autism

Nah it doesn't.
Only an autist would think it does.

YOU'RE NOT TRICKING ME SUCCUBUS!

Sorry user, someone already called dibs on that one.
You are too late to not be an autist by order of time.

Was it? Please point it out then. Because "nu-uh" is the entire problem here as I see it.

You can't fool me. Your love of anime eyes shows how autistic you are. You obviously wouldn't be so defensive here if that wasn't the case.

That doesnt make sense.

Your mom didn't make any sense either. I guess that's why we have to suffer your presence now.

That doesnt make sense

I'm glad we agree.

See
There was no content or argument, just "nuh uh" and unsubstantiated shit.
The other guy, meanwhile, gives historical context and sources.