Dishonored has a pretty interesting setting but I'm not sure it would translate well to tabletop...

Dishonored has a pretty interesting setting but I'm not sure it would translate well to tabletop. Anyone done anything with this setting? General Dishonored lore thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/The_Deep_Watchers
youtube.com/watch?v=jsmw4wC7iOE&list=PLQQW3Ew6DKsN0-Iv7n7144RbqKKRneqHH
youtube.com/watch?v=QNzpg-qdZ0g&index=1&list=PL-oTJHKXHicTtCC4rgmFSfZSSQsZmENAz
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The journal entry written by some poor bast ardent trapped in a diving bell surrounded by leviathans remains one of my favorite fluff pieces from any setting to date.

dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/The_Deep_Watchers

Obviously players cannot be marked, since that honour is for a select few.

What would you play?
An Overseer seeking heretics and encountering strange relics?
A natural philosopher seeking the secrets of the universe and of the Void?
An unmarked assassin working for gold?

Would there be a system measuring the interest of the Outsider?

Are tallboys the power armor of the setting?

What's the official word on those compound whale oil bows?

You're better off taking the basics of the setting and doing your own thing with them. Makes it easier to change what you need around.

You should look into this. The usually elevator pitch is "it's basically Dishonored."

I think it's still kickstarter phase, but it looks pretty cool. The guy who made it has one campaign on youtube and is a few sessions into another.

youtube.com/watch?v=jsmw4wC7iOE&list=PLQQW3Ew6DKsN0-Iv7n7144RbqKKRneqHH

youtube.com/watch?v=QNzpg-qdZ0g&index=1&list=PL-oTJHKXHicTtCC4rgmFSfZSSQsZmENAz

>Obviously players cannot be marked, since that honour is for a select few.

That depends on what powers are granted. Sometimes the powers granted include the ability to share powers.

Plus the Outsider grants powers based on how interesting he thinks the result will be.

If he thinks giving each PC their own powers is going to be the most interesting option, that's what he'll do.

>Would there be a system measuring the interest of the Outsider?
Treat him as an NPC with a personality. Not a game mechanic.

I figured it was more Thief than Dishonored.

Don't you essentially play and run a group of career criminals?

thieves, thugs, smugglers, cultists, spies, drug dealers. Depends on what you want to be doing

Thief was the comparison on the book when I read it

it supposedly has some mechanics for magic..

so, assuming the players perform amusingly enough for each of them to receive a power what sorts of powers would you put in the chart for a die-roll?("because I think that for a crew such as yours selection should be as random as the fall of the die")

He has canonically marked very few people in 3000 years of the current Outsider.

But good point about treating him as an NPC.

I want to say that powers generally fit a theme, so a chart is not necessarily good.
Daud created a brotherhood of assassins, so his powers have to do assasinations and sharing between followers.
Delilah is an artist, and her powers give her creations life.
Corvo can either move unseen or blast everything in his path, like a good bodyguard. He also carries the fate of the plague in his hands, hence the rats.
Emily has pawns, distractions and domino like effects because the Empress should not take action directly, is always directing attention where she needs it to be, but is also someone who must weigh her every move. Because the Empress plays with the lives of others. Also, literal cloak and dagger.

There are of course utility powers, like Agility, Shadow Kill, Adrenaline. Those may fit the logic better.

>so a chart is not necessarily good.
then we make charts of powers based on archetypes...some powers are on multiple charts of course.

then of course, it might be interesting to see if an assasin can make use of a blast power, or what a warrior does with an animating power or some other things...

>powers generally fit a theme
So what about Rat Boy?

I think you'd have some fuck ups of giving characters powers they couldn't utilize that well if you just rolled for them.
It'd probably be better for the DM to just hand pick powers individually for characters that would suit them best so players can make interesting combos with their skills.

Like giving a character who is all stealth with no combat skills the ability to control rats so he could freely move in the sewers, cause distractions, and even kind of have some roll in combat.

What theme is there in Slackjaws powers? More importantly, what powers did he have? I can't actually remember. What was Granny Rags theme?

Slackjaw didn't have any powers.
Granny Rags was madness and decay or something.

But neither madness nor decay should give one the power to phylactery a folio of themselves. Also, I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the dlc book that spawns in your room about Slackjaw that he was marked by the outsider. I could be wrong though.

>Treat him as an NPC with a personality. Not a game mechanic
This, it shouldn't just be "Oh, you did [thing], so you gain (roll) 12 interest from the Outsider." He pretty clearly isn't interested in people running around killing each other; in the game, he tends to talk down to the player who just kills everyone and express fascination with the player who spares his targets.

>in the game, he tends to talk down to the player who just kills everyone and express fascination with the player who spares his targets.
exactly.
he probably loves the trickster characters over the brutes

Not necessarily. Killing them is always easier, and so a little more boring and less interesting. And he only marks people to watch what they do with his power, because it's interesting. Remember he marked Daud and knew he'd kill the Empress. Killing isn't always not-fun!

but enough humans do it every day that it's not as interesting to him, not unless they do something interesting with the killing.

like getting past an entire palace-worth of armed guards unseen to kill someone, or killing someone in an interesting way like the wire-beheadding or the way Barry kills Jacov in archer

>he tends to talk down to the player who just kills everyone and express fascination with the player who spares his targets.

I wonder how many people he's given powers to, only to realise that they really aren't that interesting. For example, giving powers to someone who never uses them.

Or he gives someone powers while they sleep. A murderhobo sneaks past, recognises the mark, then kills the person before they wake up.

>For example, giving powers to someone who never uses them
doesn't he have a different response if you complete the game without using any of his powers?

Consider that most people he seems to interact with become horrible people with the use of his powers, even if they think they're using them for good, at least initially.

Then this guy gets betrayed, set up, and loses everything, has every reason to go on a murder-streak for revenge, and then... He does more interesting things to his targets. I wouldn't say sparing, but they certainly meet with more interesting, poetic, or ironic fates than a simple blade in the dark or a bullet to the temple.

The Outsider doesn't really follow the rules, but interacts through the few exceptional individuals who meet his own personal criteria, or who he thinks are interesting enough to give a shot, by whatever means they might be interesting to him. Half the short stories about magic seem to involve people trying to get the Outsider's attention, but they're so in it for themselves and their own selfish and petty aims that they're just boring and predictable. Actually, it's more interesting to watch them destroy themselves than directly interfere.

There is some great creepy lore hidden around the game. Honestly a bit disappointed that Dishonored 2 didn't really touch on the leviathans at all.

Well, there's a whole lot less Whaling in Karnaca so I can see why there'd be less lore on the whaling. I found a lot more people trying to reach the Void though, which I thought was super cool.

Daud had the power to share his powers with other Whalers, and I'm pretty sure Delilah could do the same thing with the Brigmore witches, so o actually think you could have a game where everyone had mark powers pretty easily.

Daud regretted that though.

Half the fun is seeing people regret their decisions and destroy themselves with their power. The player who plays for the good end doesn't end up destroying himself, but redeeming himself in the end, making it all the more interesting to find the exception to the rule that "power corrupts."

WE TOLD YOU NEVER TO SKIP LEG DAY ROGER-ROGER

I'm confused, are you agreeing with me?

Anyway
Daud saves Billie Lurk and fucks off to do who knows what doesn't he?
He got away and regretted killing the empress and most of what he did after.
Can't you choose to spare him?

I have to play the game again damn it.

The Canon ending is presumably to spare him since in Bridgemore Witches Corvo let's him live and in Corroded Man they think it might be Days at first.

I like the fact that the acceptance of cosmic horror is the blue collar religion

In Brigmore Witches Corvo either kills or lets Daud live, depending on how you went through the DLC. If you went high chaos, Corvo kills him, if low chaos Corvo spares him.

Reminds me a little of 'In the Abyss' by H.G. Wells and 'The Temple' by H.P. Lovecraft. Dishonored has such a good fucking setting.