Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Thread topic: How do you break the "Gimli Effect" for dwarves?

Previously on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>that retarded hammer
I hate "fantasy" art sometimes

>forgot the title

Fuck

Warlocks are as cool as it gets in my opinion. But they are a controversial thing.

I know some GMs who ban Chain-pact because they can't handle anyone having familiars, or Eldritch Blast because it's "overpowered".

Maybe you can try Paladin.

As of skills, skills allow you to do cool shit more often then not. Jumping onto a dragon from a ledge and climbing to his head using an axe and a dagger as hooks then latching on and stabbing him in the eyes is definitely a series of Athletics or Acrobatics checks, creating a network of spies and informants to know the BBEG's every move is definitely a series social checks, maybe some spells involved, and so on.

But if you have a GM that focuses on combat and doesn't allow anything out of RAW, my condolences. This is the domain of 3.pf.

Have any of your characters ever actually cared when an NPC died (excluding heroic sacrifices / immediate resurrection, etc.)

What is the "Gimli Effect"?

I'd be more worried about the pauldrons that would crush your head if you raised both arms at the same time

>those pauldrons
>those hands like literally what the fuck is wrong with them and no it's not just non-human anatomy

Read the books (if you're the DM, read the DMG, too).

Download (or buy) the Starter Set. Run it. Have fun. Embrace the differences between 5e and PF, and enjoy yourself.

Every dwarf is a scottish drunk jew with an axe/hammer and beard fetish.

People tend to play all dwarves (regardless of class or background) as some variant of Gimli from LOTR

The "ale chugging, Scottish accent having, war loving, elf hating, axe wielding lovable oaf of comic relief" archetype. It's stale and a bad representation of a race which can be more than that.

I just play a liquor-loving beard fetishist with an axe/hammer.

But is your character a dwarf?

Yes my players get probably far too emotionally invested in the NPCs...

Oh.

Then I don't fix it! I actually enjoy that, as do my players, for now.

In my setting, dwarves are very tolkien-esque, with a side-order of Terry Pratchett's dwarves, because it amuses me to have dwarves hate erasing words.

I will say, however, that I do have a variant of dwarves from a clan who got kicked out of their mountain dwarf home, and ended up settling in what amounts to Tortuga-but-larger from Pirates of the Caribbean. They're crafty, street-smart thieves and rogues, with dualistic, strange gods. No one has taken me up on playing one of them, though, as of yet.

I admit to being a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to fantasy, however, so I may be the exception.

By making all my dwarves their Dwarf Fortress variants.

Hey, anons, I need a medium-sized warehouse map that has a basement. I suck at making maps and I hate it; my biggest failing as a DM.

Every NPC we show some attachment to is immediately killed for cheap drama.

So we learned to hide our true feelings.

Yea Warlocks are awesome. They offer the most character customization for any class. Between Pact Boons and which Pact you choose they have 6 paths you can follow. Then you have invocations.

Pact of the Tome has an invocation to beable to record EVERY ritual spell. I love rituals. Alarm, Detect magic, Identify, Find Familiar. Lots of fun to cast Alarm anytime you enter a dungeon and fuck over the DM if they want to try and have people sneak in behind you. Augury is a great Ritual as well. So good.

Pokemon Gold had a warehouse with a basement

There's nothing wrong with having the majority of your NPCs like that, but for PC's I feel like they should mix it up a little. Just a way to make your character unique and not stereotyped cut n pastes

>banning EB
Why even play Warlock then?

So guys, which do you think would make a better patron, a Balor or a Pit Fiend?

pit fiend erryday

I've played a number of Dwarves over the years.

One was a beardless Fighter/Barb who insisted he was just a short human. He was a teetotaller, had no accent or beard, and would have rather spent time reading books or going to debate club than visiting a feast hall or mining.

Another was a published author and "Combat Archaeologist" Fighter/Bard who researched ancient Dwarven history and culture. He used a sword (because Dwarves invented swords, too), had no accent or beard, and would go to a feast hall so that he could hawk his new book and get into a debate.

In PotA, I played a masked luchador Fighter trying to restore his family's lost honor (without revealing his identity) by finding old claims of nobility from ruined Dwarven kingdoms and/or exonerating evidence. He mostly threw enemies into things, had a beard but no accent, and would go to a feast hall so he could pantomime past glorious bouts of his in true wrestling/boxing hypeman fashion (THE SKIRMISH IN TURMISH; RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE VI AND XIII; BOUT AT THE REDOUBT). Turns out he is a potential claimant to the lost kingdom of Besilmar.

In SKT, I currently play the Dwarf+Hammer version of an Eternal Blade (an elf PrC that talks to ghosts living in its swords) and member of a secret brotherhood of warrior-philosophers and mystics seeking to understand the mysteries of matter and force (energy). He has a beard, no accent, and would rather hole up in the woods or the mountains and work on his manifesto; his strategy of winning a debate is to speak cryptic nonsense and slap the other side upside the head and hope they are suddenly zen-enlightened by the illogic of it all.

they have all had incredibly large backpacks full of random junk which is used to macgyver the solution to all problems though the luchador used the bodies of enemies and furniture in place of random junk

That's up to them, of course; there's nothing wrong with having some peoples breaking the mold. The dwarves of my world tend to fall into three categories, however; the aforementioned dwarven street-pirates, and two different types of mountain dwarves, one of which despises humans with a passion and one of which likes--or at least tolerates--them because it was humans that saved them from starvation during a particularly harsh famine in the region.

The hatred-filled dwarves are not evil, however, they just believe that humans are violent, barely-evolved monkeys that kill everything that is not them. It stems from a time when a human kingdom attacked and destroyed two dwarven citadels for literally no reason (there is a reason, but the PCs don't know it).

Hill dwarves have always liked humans, and it as from hill dwarves that humans learned how to make iron.

I think they're too weak to be patrons desu, unless it's capped at some lowish level.

Well then who would make a good fiendish patron? I want to stay away from one of the Princes of the Nine Hells because why would they waste their time giving power to some random level 1 Warlock, and the same is true for Demon Princes.

I'm playing a Neutral Ebil character, so either a Demon or a Devil will work, but I can't decide which one would be cooler in the fluff department.

Asmodeus himself, directly or through a lesser devil serving as a salesman, liaison and comissioner. All other options are literally who-tier

They get your immortal soul when you die, silly! And souls don't have levels!

They are fine. They are even used as an example in the PHB

Or you can have a Devil Comes Down to Georgia type scenario and take your abilities from your patron by force of body, will, or wit.

I feel like that will eventually be my character's goal, to ascend (descend?) into the Abyss or Nine Hells and become a powerful Devil or Demon in their own right.

I'd have a Prince or Archdevil as actual Patron but use the Balor/Pit Fiend as sort of communicator and middle management, since as you said the higher up have better things to do.

>that are especially mighty
My points stands. The player would have to leave it explicit that it isn't no average balor/pit fiend

That's the spirit. Find your patron, bash his face in and take his place.

I'm working on a Calishite Fire Genasi character concept, need some help coming up with character motivations. He's an Eldritch Knight and a minor noble. Lawful Evil, really into tradition and racial purity of the Genasi people of Calimshan.

But I'm having trouble tying him in to the campaign's story. I'm not sure why someone like that would leave Calimshan and go to Waterdeep, or join an adventuring party. What's in it for him? Maybe it's as simple as seeking wealth or power, but seems a little flimsy.

What happens if your party kills your patron?

You're powerful enough to not need a patron

Wouldn't an Arcanaloth make more sense as intermediary since they are literally fiendish lawyers?

A bad GM would say that you lose your abilities. A good GM would say that you take his place and his powers. And his duties, if any.

Here's the better scenario:

>Fight your way to the location of your patron
>Use your 9th Level Spell Slot on Imprisonment
>Use the Shrinking Gemstone option
>Imprison your patron in a gemstone
>Set the gemstone in a ring, amulet, or diadem.
>Parade around, keeping your patron alive as a source of power while maintaining absolute control

This desu

I grabbed the core stuff off the trove, we are playing in a few hours, starting Curse of Strahd apparently. The DM is very excited since apparently it's the best AP he has ever read.

Does 5e have an online SRD like PF has the d20pfsrd site?

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd
That should be it

Maybe you should consider other options. As in, seriously, what the fuck this guy is doing in Waterdeep and why he is not cleansing Calimshan with fire and sword using his power?

Wanderlust
Getting to know the world before assuming his house's dutys
Following the ancient tradition of his family of a coming-of-age journey to try the world, so he can come back home to live the traditional ways with conviction that is it the right thing to do
Searching for allies, deals and magical secrets to advance his position in his homeland
A search for lore regarding the Genasi people
Searching for an ancient artifact stolen from an ancestor

searching for a genasi waifu

My character is a pretty prideful wizard, but he's more or less on the verge of a breakdown because hundred are dying due to a breach between the planes.

>How do you break the "Gimli Effect" for dwarves?

>In my setting, dwarves are very tolkien-esque,

Even Tolkien's dwarves aren't like that.

Both can be fun, it depends what you want.

>50234199
Some common mistake people make...
1) Walking out of the threatening square doesn't provoke OA, walking out of the threatening area does (so you can circle around your opponent)

2) You can break up action (move > attack > move) without retard feat tax.

3) Grapple and Shove is just a skill contest now.

4) There is no "free action", "move action" or "standard action".

5e srd is intentionally left out a lot of detail and options for each classes. The srd only has 1 cleric domain for example.

>1) Walking out of the threatening square doesn't provoke OA, walking out of the threatening area does (so you can circle around your opponent)

So with a 40ft move speed I can shuffle right around my opponent, end upin the same square I started and he won't be able to attack me?

> Not overpower your patron and turn him into a cock lusting demon battery.

Sorry. /pfg/ rub off on me.

Then you probably were the patron if your party is powerful enough to take them down, or the patron was basically killing themselves in order to offer power to you.

That's like taking the sword from the "take this!" old man and stabbing him.

Though, I suppose it makes sense if you have great potential yourself, and your warlock pack just enables you to use your potential and since you're so reliant on it while you've had the power you've never taught yourself to use the power without your patron's help.

You'd likely turn into a sorcerer upon devouring the patron's power.

You only need 20 feet of movement for that, actually. You can pass Medium-sized creatures on diagonal moves. And correct, there would be no attack of opportunity.

So... how do you guys deal without one?

yes

We own or steal the books or pdfs, you shitlord. It's not hard.

copy =/= theft

These are all great. I'll probably go with some form of searching for allies and magical secrets. And searching for a pure blood qt wife. Maybe his family's lost some of its power and wealth, and he needs the help of outsiders to reclaim his position.

If only I could convince my GM to take a hard left into a campaign about cleansing the homeland.

I don't want to get into that argument. I use the world "steal" because it makes me feel like a badass smooth criminal.

>You can pass Medium-sized creatures on diagonal moves.

Even if they're hostile? Because you can't do that to walls or statues

Just say that you're pirating it, as that's the correct term.
And pirates > smooth criminals.

It's a matter of taste, really.

Yea but not having a nice easily searchable database to browse through all of the game information? That seems terrible. I know 3.5 had a pretty limited SRD too, but I think PF really spoiled me with d20pfsrd.

Maybe if the DM works with you there could be some ties that they believe there to be a dormant evil there that needs to be stopped before it spreads. Say, they could be acting as something of a prophet or had nightmares and they're there to resolve it before things get bad for their homeland.

Wanderlust isn't a very good option for the character, I think.

>he needs a database

Real roleplayers know all the rules by heart.

The rule only specifies terrain features (walls, large trees, etc.), not creatures. The bit about the DMG mentioned later also does not mention anything about creatures blocking movement this way.

So im planning on running a Space Fantasy game that's essentially if you mixed Spelljammer with Kill Six Billion Demons and Warhammer 40k.

Like most Space Opera, Humans will be the more dominant species in the universe, with other races being in smaller numbers. How can I get around the small number of PC choices? I figured Volo's can certainly help with this.

Also Firearms, I want to use them, but the rules in the DMG are so damn vague, plus I also don't want them to be blatantly modern in design. Something closer to Mass Effect than modern era. Unless that's just total shit and I should just go with Renaissance weapons, but there's just so few and they don't encapsulate the space-y feel.

It isn't just about the rules though, it includes everything.

Real roleplayers don't even need rules

Forgot my image.

So yeah, cut through enemy squares all you like. It's important to note that a Medium-sized creature isn't a 5 foot cube, either, so plenty of room to walk past them. There's just no walking straight through them to an opposite tile because they're going to have a lot easier time blocking you that way than if you just cut a corner on them. You could put four Medium creatures in the same square, they just need five feet to fight in combat.

I kinda use both. check the class main class chassis on SRD and only remembering the extra stuff your get from archetype / domain.

If you want to be different from that, why the fuck would you want to play a dwarf?

I'm making a campaign with heavy bookkeeping, does someone have a list with all the materials needed for casting spells? from a cricket to a 10,000 gp gem, I kinda want to make them somewhat easier to keep track of.

darkvision, best stats, and best NPCs to be instant bros with

seriously every time my campaign meets a dwarf they are the raddest dudes and we help each other out immensely

Yeah, ideally I want to give my DM something to work with, a powerful character motivation or purpose that can be worked towards. So maybe something a little more like this would be good.

>How do you break the "Gimli Effect" for dwarves?

They're maggot people that fed on the flesh of giants given sentience by gods. They still maintain disgusting habits and the great majority of them are quite ugly and hairy

I implore you to reconsider.

Arcane foci were introduced for a reason. If you make your players track worthless material components when they don't want it, it's going to be a shitfest.

Dwarves tend to be friendly alcoholics precisely because they're associated with a stereotype. If they had the full range of human personalities, then the vast majority of them would be cunts, just like humans.

Dwarves are communist

Indeed, it is best to only track those materials that are directly consumed by the spell.

So what's the difference between a Cleric of Asmodeus and a Fiend Warlock who makes a pact with him? How about a Light Domain Cleric and a Light Warlock?

Would it be weird to replace Clerics in my setting with Warlocks, mechanically?

We don't meet them in bars, we meet them out in the world doing things. We get along because they're upright Lawful Good-types who think the bad guys are as much a bunch of assholes as we do and they're seldom looking out for their own personal interests to the detriment of others, even though they are also stereotyped as "greedy" and more interested in the safety of their clanhomes.

When a band of orcs are about to attack the village and we ask everyone in the town square for aid, it's the Dwarven traveller who steps up more often than not.

If we bust into a goblin or giant den to free all the prisoners, it's the Dwarf who's somehow risen to community leader more often than not.

When two NPCs are trying to get the group's help but one of them is lying, the Dwarf is the truthful one.

If a bunch of Lord's Alliance guys from Waterdeep bust into a place and want to do something the party thinks is a bad idea, and a bunch of Lord's Alliance guys from Mithral Hall show up right after them wanting to do the same shit, it's the Mithral Hall Dwarves we have the easier time convincing to not be a bunch of dumbos.

Even those that are consumed are a pain to track. That's why they are considered worthless and are represented by a component pouch.

The only ones that _require_ tracking are those with a price listed.

Cleric is a divine caster who is a direct agent of the object of his worship.

Warlock is a fuck who bargained for power or stole it or whatever for his own (often nefarious) goals.

>wizards want reality-bending, world-destroying arcane power
>they can't handle tallying up their bat guano
>fighters are supposed to track their javelin usage and breakage judiciously
>the DM is keeping track of every dagger the rogue throws
>rangers have to roll survival and nature to scrounge up enough food for the group
>the wizard's component pouch is still full of bat guano, lightning-struck tree bark, and dragonscales despite our having spent the past four months in a goddamn desert

Isn't anything that a spell consumes listed with a specific value anyway?

Fortunately arcane focus is an alternative to a component pouch

I point my staff/wand/orb at them and BOOM

My character takes all of his comrades' deaths seriously. An npc helping us got his legs flattened by a rolling boulder and I did the whole mercy killing with the DM while the rest of the party continued.

I understand the fear of that, but in my campaign there is a fight every other session or more, and is a really hard fight, so they only prepare before each one of them.

As fights are so far in between having to manage resources is part of what makes the fight exiting.

Can't help with the basement, but I do have a warehouse.

Yeah, I can definitely feel you on that. In the Western campaign setting, dwarves are mostly bit players that the party occasionally stumbles upon if out in the Great Stony Mountains where they maintain a number of mines and fledgling dwarfholds. I actually don't think my players have ever encountered more than two or three mountain dwarves across three campaigns, but they also tend to be the most insular and very, very few have migrated to the West.

Primarily, they encounter hill dwarves who have always had the role of intermediaries between their deep-dwelling cousins and the humans above ground. Far more pragmatic than dogmatic. They tend to get the majority of the Scotch-Irish whiskey-distilling mountain men traits while their mountain dwarf cousins probably inherited most of the Jewish stereotypes, living in an incredibly regimented and codified society based upon a religion of ancestor worship that traces lineages back to the war against the Titans who created them as slaves. Maintaining the vaults they sealed the Titans away in is also part of the reason mountain dwarves as a whole have very little interest in anywhere else.

Clerics are powered by their convictions in the faith. Warlocks are taught magical secrets by the patron. It's a much more direct relationship.

One way to deal with this is to get rid of worthless components completely and replace them with foci.

There are some costly components that act as a focus and are not consumed.

so guys if you remember I mention a few thread back about making a bard-lock

so I recently started the game at lv 3 so I have a lv 1bard-2lock (fey) with actor feat/disguise self invocation to mess around with people. I found out that I was the party's only full spellcaster and mouth-piece.

So I am not sure if I should go lore bard for spells like fireball etc or the glamour bard for full fabulousness and charming the shit out of people

the party is a monk/fighter/ranger/pally/bard-lock

This.

the main quest of the game is to discover various tribes on a remote island and start some diplomatic relationship with them

>fireball

You're playing the game wrong

>So what's the difference between a Cleric of Asmodeus and a Fiend Warlock who makes a pact with him?

One is granted power by their faith in Asmodeus, the other made a pact for power

>How about a Light Domain Cleric and a Light Warlock?

More or less the same. One get power by believing the concept, the other made a pact with something powered by the concept.

>Would it be weird to replace Clerics in my setting with Warlocks, mechanically?

Mechanically, they don't fit the same place

explain??