/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Pirate Edition

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/.. →

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/bard-colleges
bardsandnobles.com/episode/e4-a-fishy-deal/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I rolled stats can place anywhere:

17, 13, 13, 12, 10, 10

Battlemaster (?) Fighter, Transmutation Wizard, ? Barbarian, Vengeance Paladin

Level 3 and POTA. What should I play?

I want to make a bladelock

Are they garbage as fuck?

yep

something without MAD since you only really have one good stat. Go battlemaster, get like 18-19 STR at start, make sure you have atleast 14 con too

mad?

multiple attribute dependency

IE a paladin needs STR CON CHA to be as effective as he can be, whereas a Wizard would just need Int.

>When you spend all your ki in one single Searing Sunburst and use Lucky till he fails the save

Half elf pally

17 str 14 con 14 wis 14 cha 12 dex 10 int

Lucky can't be used to make enemies fail saves

that would be hilariously absurd

No one reads the rules faggot

Thoughts on the Bardbarian UAs?

Guardian is shit
Tempest is from meh to ok
Zealot has strong 1st and and last features

So I am pretty much done writing up my own campaign, now I'm just trying to find "interesting" stuff to add. I thought about having one of the characters either be a (half) werewolf (or whatever, just what I thought of first) and eventually have him catch up to it.
>you wake up with dried blood on your hands, some of your stuff is missing, you don't feel rested
Something like that.

Now my question is: Is it okay to screw with my player's characters? I feel like I am taking a vital part of "their" character and forcing it into my story. Even if the character drinks a potion or gets bitten (etc) that would allow me to do that, I still feel like it's not a fair thing to do.
What say you?

What is the best magical item and why is it the immovable rod?

DDAL5-04 and -05 are now in the Mega. Thanks to an kind user for contributing.

Am I the only one that wants to make a War Boyz Zealot Barbarian?

I WANT TO BE WITNESSED!

>Ring of three wishes
>Wish for 3 the immovable rods
3 > 1

On that note... you can't use cutting word on enemy saving throw either.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/bard-colleges

College of Glamour is cool, imo, not really powerful, but I think it would shine a lot in roleplaying-heavy campaigns, because its features rely on lengthy performance and social manipulation.

The same for Whispers, but I'd think that College is meant for bards who are anarchists and just want to shit things up, making kingdoms fall or nobles betray each other.

Liked these options way more that the barbarian ones.

>Glamour a shit
>Shadows a shit but at least fun for an antagonist in an urban/courtly game

My friend is a nice guy but he is a shit DM

> allow retard roll stat method that will result in character with higher ability score (and if you have a bad luck, you can just choose to take standard array afterward).
> has to homebrew monster to compensate
> too deadly
> add 2 DM PC to help party
> giving homebrew magic item that he thought up on the spot (obviously regardless of game balance)

I think it can only go down hill from here..

Seriously, if you are bad at probability class, don't try to DM.

Wat?

What was the homebrew magic item?

Bonus action command seem pretty strong. Not as much as magical secret but better than extra attack.

Adventurer's League, they're like adventures for people that are only able to play at an LGS

while fighting harpies in the top of an abandoned tower, I ordered one of my skeletons to grapple one of the harpies wings while it was in the open air. As it leapt at it and they both tumbled to the earth my dwarf necromancer pointed and cried, "WITNESS!"

Best elf coming through.

One of my players got a worg pup. I have a lot of shenanigans planned with it when it grows up, obviously. But what's the best way to go about with it's training? also, how long should they take to grow? I was thinking on halving a regular wolves life cycle, but making it live twice as long.

A staff that hold 10 sorcery point. Recharge daily. Indestructible.

For a level 4 party.

I think Guardian is the coolest of the 3. Barbrian who summons Ghosts. Guardian feels like it gives the player options to use things.

Storm Herald is boring. It is all Aura based, which makes sense mechanically while raging because you have to attack every round. But besides describing how cool your aura looks, it seems lame.

Zealot is okay, but that second feature is so out of place. Whose using a resurrection spell at that level? Do any casters even have resurrection spells available to them at level 3?

Going to play D&D for the first time, I went in being a Human monk, and coming out of the character building session I'm now a Crabman Monk.

Just a question for all of you, should I be a polite crabman, or act like an actual crab, grabbing random objects and scuttling around.

and don't forget twice as hungry, feisty, and if it accepts them, loyal. I can definitely see the roleplay opportunities.

an actual crab.

Just don't be TOO obnoxious about it. You don't need to constantly describe every damn thing you're grabbing and scuttling about, etc.

Err, Whispers, I mean.

As far as Barbarians go...
>Guardian sounds fun, and I've always been fond of spirit warriors. You go balls deep on the tanking barbarian, but at least you're competent at it. Plus, the ribbons lets you be semi-competent at Int and Wis checks. The fact two of its abilities suck a Reaction kinda blows, but whatever.
>Storm Herald has a neat idea, but it just leaves me wishing I was playing a 4E thunderbarb. Kinda like that you can customize your storm, but it ends up a combination of meh to yeh while never really shining or sounding as much fun as Guardian or Zealot. Also cool, all of your abilities are passive. F U N.
>Zealot sounds fun, but something about it holds me back from really loving it. Also, the fact that the 3rd level feature burns allies is a bit of a bummer.

Fair enough, I just wasn't really wow'd by any feature in it quite as much as the paranoia memes and shadow stealing from the College of Whispers. But again, I am mostly liking that for use as an antagonist in an urban campaign.

this tbqh famalam

you already know your answer.

how well would a party of 9 level 20's do against a fully powered tiamat?

and adding to that, if they couldnt beat her, what would they need?

Maybe your DM is just planning ahead. :)

desu if he's willing to do rolling for stats and THEN standard array if they don't like their stats, he should probably just give up all pretense of the game being balanced. Tell him to just make it a high lethality game.

Actual Crab

What is good advice. Just make sure to do the Crab claw hand gestures. Throw in some "Why not [Zoidberg]?" remarks. Maybe the occassional whooping. You're good to go. 10/10 Roleplaying.

Reposting, Kobolds are going to make incredibly strong shadow monks. It's like shadow monk was custom made for them.

If run properly, Tiamat wins every time. Even the spellcasters, with all of their godly might, have exactly four spell slots that they can use against her. She can fly out of reach, has legendary actions and resistances for days, immunity to most forms of damage, etc, etc.

Basically the only way they could possibly take her down would be with an artifact of some kind or if the wizard casts Wish and the DM doesn't fuck with the wish.

Yes, exactly what I had in mind. But how hard should it be for the pup to accept them. It's really young(just a few days old), but the PC doesn't have that much animal handling.

Also they slaughtered all of it's family(maybe) in a goblin den.

Tiamat would still win. You need artifact weapons and need to consistently cast level 7 and above spells.

He probably wants the players to feel Heroic. When I DM if you dont get atleast two 15s, you re-roll. I want my players to feel awesome and feel like they can do cool stuff

Good DMs don't make balanced encounters, they change shit on the fly for better story telling and dramatic flair.

Those 2 middle points are kinda...ehhh, I dunno. No one is perfect.

Nothing wrong with giving awesome magic items early on. That's what I do. You found the legendary sword, you're gonna be using it for the next 5 levels cause I want my players to feel like their adventure is some kind of Legend of Zelda quest where you find the Master Sword and are destined to do something great and fantastic.

>Seriously, if you are bad at probability class, don't try to DM.
DMing, and D&D, is about Storytelling. If you want stats and probability go play an actual War-Game.

Worst. He let you roll for stat twice (as in 2 stat array) and choose one. And if you don't like either one, you can take standard array.

It not very heroic when most of the party are alive merely by thr grace of DMPC giving out potion and holding off enemies horde.

Dice roll (and thus math) is a part of D&D story telling. Unless you play in a dice roll less game, if you can't get probability right, your story will be shit.

In what way?

>tfw you can't gomu gomu no jet gatling like in the playtests

What happens if you use a ring of three wishes to wish for more rings of three wishes?

What's an optimal build (race, class, kit) for a cute slut in 5e?

Race : /pfg/ kitsune
Class: /pfg/ healbot cleric
Kit: /pfg/ enchantress kit

If I grapple person A, and person B also grapples person A, what happens when I try to move? Is person A forcibly moved, ending person B's grapple, or does Person B get dragged along, too?

Can I throw my non-flying familiar at a flying creature and have it grapple it to take it down? Do I need to roll to hit with my familiar? Can you do improvised weapon damage by throwing creatures at other creatures? Going back to question one, can I throw person A at person B if I'm grappling him and he's not? What if we're both grappling person A at the time, can I throw him then? What about using a person as a non-thrown improvised weapon?

Thoughts on this please.

Players are playing in the modern world (yes I know), assessing, investigating and putting down supernatural and paranormal threats.
People are kept ignorant of the supernatural, the paranormal to prevent widespread panic and breakdown of society.
People still think elves, dwarves, etc only exist in fairytales, but they do exist but are rare.
Elves have been recast as fey lords who abduct and are heavily inspired by Changeling the Lost, for example.

The elves, true to some folklore, are the ones who inspired the original abduction myths. Their extreme beauty is also as much glamor as anything, they still are extremely attractive if you could pierce it but their glamor allows them to affect emotions or actions in their victims.

Grays are also a feature of the setting, they're a strain of us from the future, here to conduct experiments on our base forms and livestock, to prepare or protect or eliminate us for some unknowable end.

The elves and grays are locked in a secret war.

Image search fails me. Who is that elf?

They have pretty good stat bumps for a shadow monk (+2 dex is awesome).

A bonus action dodge helps them mitigate the weakness of Kneel, Grovel, Beg

Huge supply of Darkness means they can cancel out sunlight sensitivity when they need to.

Pack tactics helps guarantee they can land their attacks and overall increases the monk's damage output so they will rarely miss. It also enhances the rogue multiclass if they choose to go that route.

You get a ring of three wishes with no wishes left, or one wish if the DM isn't an asshole. So, realistically, a ring with no wishes left.

Anons? Am curious; what races do you most want to see someday get an official 5e PC writeup?

So

Anywhere to get an elf name generator that DOESN'T read like a directory of a shitty rp forum for teenagers?

A move out of B grapple range.
B grapple end.

Throwing ally has no rule support, thus it fall under DM authority.

I am kind of confused, are you saying you should understand probability for D&D so that you can control/predict the outcome of situations based on the numbers so that you control/know exactly where the story is going?

Because that's bad DMing.

>This is my story and I will do what I want to make sure it plays out how I want it to

Good DMs are better at improvisation and quick thinking than math.

If you just want to tell a specific story, don't be a DM, go write a book.

Why are you in this thread?

Kender and Krynn ogres.

If they drink some weird ass potion then it's okay to screw with them. Try to give them a way back though.

Dhampirs

Tabaxi are basically cat-kender.

Best elf.

Firenewt

So, had an idea to make a Warlock in pact with Hermaeus Mora. Obviously it would be a Book Pact, but would it be with an Infernal or Old One? Hermaeus isn't quite Cthulu tier, but he's not a normal demon either.

I'm also having a bit of a time trying to think of a motivation. What knowledge is so forbidden that you have to go straight to the Prince of Knowledge to get it, instead of going through the normal means (Infernal pacts, dungeon hunting, lichdom)? How would he have even gotten the pact? My idea was to have him sneak into Apocrypha, and steal a book (His pact book.) That's why I'm leaning more toward Mora being an Old One pact, as he's always too busy learning things to notice a mere mortal in his library. That's why he has Seekers.

Thoughts?

Um hey, since I have nowhere to go for this, I guess I just ask it here. Does anyone know the location of the pdfs for Numenere?

What I am saying is that you need to know how probability work to actually do improvision.

You need to know how probability work to guage the success rate of the party. Then give them approiate DC and CR challenge for your players. And you need to know how math work to give out a suitable reward.

Randomly improvise stuff base on your guts feeling is bad. It will make thing go wrong, which mean you have to throw more improvision and it turn into a vicious cycle.

Giving out a super weapon at low level and then leaving that player with nothing for 6 more level (because he became too strong from your incompetence) will leave the player feeling very unsatisfy.

Thri kreen

ctrl-f in here

party members can assist him with his animal handling, maybe let him receive training in it with a local druid or some such. he can either buy it or do a quick job to gain favor with the skill vendor. then, let him have proficiency in it or some such. after a while of demonstrating to the pup that he has the best of intentions for it and means to care for it and "accept it into his pack" you can let him have advantage on animal handling checks when dealing with the pup. if the player is nurturing and faithful to the creature, let it respond in kind. if he doesnt feed it or mistreats it, let it tear off one of his legs. easy peasy.

Are there any benefits to being a large creature in 5th ed? I know there was some positive stuff in 3.5 but that's about it.

>No trait based upon fearlessness
>No trait based on taunting or insulting foes in combat
>No trait based around their knack for picking up random knick-knacks that occasionally end up helpful

Really not seeing it. At least mechanically, they seem to have nothing at all in common with kender. Hell, they're even Medium. If anything I'd use Halflings. Replace Lucky with an ability to conjure up a random tool or trinket worth less than 1g or simply add it on as a Ribbon. Then make a subrace that gives +1 Cha and take Grovel, Cower and Beg, refluffed to make it based around taunting and insulting your foe.

Thanks user, it had what I needed.

WotC avoid rule complication of different PC size like a plague.

Enlarge Person spell only give you 1d4 damage and nothing else for example.

So it's mostly for visual effect then. Thanks.

The tentacles and knowledge-lust certainly give credence to an Old Ones pact, though I personally like to flavor the pacts differently depending on the Patron. Fey pacts are either gifts for you impressing/seducing a fey or because they're bored and wanna see you fuck shit up. Fiend pacts are either bargains for power or using you as a pawn for a specific plot. Old One pacts are a little less directed, you either tap into their power unwittingly or their purposes for you are so unfathomable that they seem almost random.

You could definitely go either way, but if you do go GOO, I'd make your pact less dealy and more "you stumbled upon secrets not meant for mortal eyes"

I'm going to play an Elemental Monk in my next game, which disciplines are the best? Also, I know they made some changes about Ele monk in the errata, my DM never read the errata, should I show him or not about the changes?

I'm was sort of surprised they didn't show up in Volo's Guide to Monsters or anything Ravenloft.

On a somewhat similiar topic...

>Favorite player race from Volo's?
Lizardfolk, hands down.

Lizard Light Cleric is awesome, lizards love heat lamps n shit plus the natural armor is better than medium!

Hey everyone! Just plugging the newest episode of Bards & Nobles, a D&D 5e podcast run by a fa/tg/uy.

bardsandnobles.com/episode/e4-a-fishy-deal/

We've gotten a ton of feedback so far, and have been steadily making improvements. Let me know if there's anymore you think we can make, or any suggestions you have for any of us.

Thanks!

Good, good.
Also, jungle supplement when?

I think the meme is based on their theft and fleeting interests so people are afraid their players will lolsorandom steal things for no reason and tried to hide behind "it's what my character would do"

The whole kender player thing is a bit exaggerated. If they're being a nuisance have them get locked up and fined when they get caught, the law doesn't care for your racial predisposition to petty theft.

Dhampirs are more a Pathfinder thing than a D&D thing, same with kitsune. I doubt either of them will be featured in D&D for the forseeable future.

As for why not in Ravenloft, Curse of Strahd is about outsiders going into the land and fighting evil, not about dark creatures already in or related to Barovia. Thus no Vistani, playable vampires, playable lycanthropes, playable undead, etc.

So I want to add some little details to my races that sort of encapsule the original purpose of why they were created.

Dwarves are easy since they already have proficiencies in different kinds of artisan tools, but Elves being essentially gardeners and guardians for the orchards of the gods, what sort of things should they have? Herbalism Kit proficiency? Sense the feelings of plants? What should be replaced if anything? Dragonborn, created to essentially be accountants for the wealth of the gods. What sort of things could that entail? What of the other races?

Bullywugs

What type of nose do goblins / hobgoblins / bugbears have? Are they cat noses?

Elves could have animal handling and nature proficiencies and dragonborn could have arcana prof and advantage on insight checks when it comes to brokering deals involving money?

Rules question for you folks

A player of mine decided to play the new UA Revised ranger, and they have the attached ability. I glanced over it at first.

We're playing a Underdark campaign where almost everything relies on darkvision. It says they gain no benefit when trying to detect you; does 'detect' mean only initially or always? How is this possible? It seems hella broken if they can walk through a town without ever being seen.

The fuck are you talking about, berk?

It means you treat them as if they had normal vision for the purposes of detecting the Ranger. So, if there's no source of light, they treat the Ranger as if he were in complete darkness all the time.

It means that in dim light and darkness, creatures with darkvision can't detect them, they're still functionally in darkness. They can hide in plain sight in total darkness even from creatures with darkvision.

Also Underdark towns are still going to have lights in them. No one wants to live their life seeing nothing but dim black and white.

tfw scared to apply to join groups

is dis shit a job interview

The idea that tabaxi are like kender

yes
have fun

They're less annoying shitstains and thus superior kender.

It included dim conditions, which Gracklstugh is
Thanks very much to the both of you. It's been a long night and when they leveled up the player was trying to convince me they were invisible and I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Cheers