/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Lützendimma Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/file/s5u7aaar2i8ykcc/Osprey - CAM 068 - Lützen 1632.pdf
mediafire.com/file/d6zjpu68z2cc8z6/Osprey - ELI 179 - Pike and Shot Tactics 1590-1660.pdf
mediafire.com/file/akq4ub35892q73h/Osprey - MAA 235 - The Army of Gustavus Adolphus (1) Infantry.pdf
mediafire.com/file/606fucsxxhrykcf/Osprey - MAA 262 - The Army of Gustavus Adolphus (2) Cavalry.pdf
mediafire.com/file/p4me9gtghge5dn1/Osprey - MAA 457 - Imperial Armies of the Thirty Years' War (1) Infantry & Artillery.pdf
mediafire.com/file/4ypsjlbdia40ll5/Osprey - MAA 462 - Imperial Armies of the Thirty Years' War (2) Cavalry.pdf
strawpoll.me/11649744
kickstarter.com/projects/940158614/ww2-highlanders-battalion-miniatures
kallistra.co.uk/?page=113
hwgprojects.imgur.com/
ebay.de/itm/262398897489?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
fireforge-games.com/webstore/middle-age/unit-deals/burn-loot-starting-set-details
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder - Rebellion
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

November 16th in military history:

1532 – Francisco Pizarro and his men capture Inca Emperor Atahualpa at the Battle of Cajamarca.
1632 – Thirty Years' War: Battle of Lützen is fought, the Swedes are victorious but King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden dies in the battle.
1776 – American Revolutionary War: British and Hessian units capture Fort Washington from the Patriots.
1805 – Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Schöngrabern: Russian forces under Pyotr Bagration delay the pursuit by French troops under Joachim Murat.
1857 – Second relief of Lucknow: Twenty-four Victoria Crosses are awarded, the most in a single day.
1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Campbell's Station near Knoxville, Tennessee: Confederate troops unsuccessfully attack Union forces.
1885 – Canadian rebel leader of the Métis and "Father of Manitoba" Louis Riel is executed for treason.
1940 – World War II: In response to the leveling of Coventry by the German Luftwaffe two days before, the Royal Air Force bombs Hamburg.
1943 – World War II: American bombers strike a hydro-electric power facility and heavy water factory in German-controlled Vemork, Norway.
1944 – World War II: Operation Queen, the costly Allied thrust to the Rur, is launched.
1944 – World War II: Düren, Germany, is destroyed by Allied bombers.
1989 – A death squad composed of El Salvadoran army troops kills six Jesuit priests and two others at Jose Simeon Canas University.

It is 384 years since the Battle of Lützen, one of the most important encounters of the Thirty Years' War. The battle was a Protestant victory, but cost the life of one of the most important leaders of the Protestant alliance, the Swedish King Gustav II Adolf, which caused the Protestant campaign to lose direction. The battle was legendary for the fog, which lay heavy over the fields of Saxony that morning. The phrase "Lützendimma" (Lützen fog) is still used in the Swedish language in order to describe particularly heavy fog.

With the early onset of winter weather in November 1632, Catholic commander Albrecht von Wallenstein elected to move towards Leipzeig believing that the campaign season had concluded and that further operations would not be possible. Splitting his army, he sent the corps of General Gottfried zu Pappenheim on ahead while he marched with the main army. Not to be discouraged by the weather, King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden decided to strike a decisive blow with his Protestant army near a stream known as the Rippach where he believed von Wallenstein's force was encamped.

Departing camp early on the morning of November 15, Gustavus Adolphus' army approached the Rippach and encountered a small force left behind by von Wallenstein. Though this detachment was easily overpowered, it delayed the Protestant army by a few hours. Alerted to the enemy's approach, von Wallenstein issued recall orders to Pappenheim and assumed a defensive position along the Lützen-Leipzig road. Anchoring his right flank on a hill with the bulk of his artillery, his men quickly entrenched. Due to the delay, Gustavus Adolphus' army was behind schedule and encamped a few miles away.

On the morning of November 16, the Protestant troops advanced to a position east of Lützen and formed for battle. Due to heavy morning fog, their deployment was not completed until around 11:00 AM.

Assessing the Catholic position, Gustavus Adolphus ordered his cavalry to assault von Wallenstein's open left flank, while the Swedish infantry attacked the enemy's center and right. Surging forward, the Protestant cavalry quickly gained the upper hand, with Colonel Torsten Stalhandske's Finnish Hakkapeliitta cavalry playing a decisive role.

As the Protestant cavalry was about to turn the Catholic flank, Pappenheim arrived on the field and charged into the fight with 2,000-3,000 horsemen ending the imminent threat. Riding forward, Pappenheim was struck by a small cannonball and mortally wounded. Fighting continued in this area as both commanders fed reserves into the fight. Around 1:00 PM, Gustavus Adolphus led a charge into the fray. Becoming separated in the smoke of battle, he was struck down and killed. His fate remained unknown until his rider-less horse was seen running between the lines.

This sight halted the Swedish advance and led to a rapid search of the field which located the king's body. Placed in an artillery cart, it was secretly taken from the field lest the army become disheartened by their leader's death. In the center, the Swedish infantry assaulted von Wallenstein's entrenched position with disastrous results. Repulsed on all fronts, their broken formations began streaming back with the situation made worse by rumors of the king's death.

Reaching their original position, they were calmed by the actions of the royal preacher, Jakob Fabricius, and the presence of Generalmajor Dodo Knyphausen's reserves. As the men rallied, Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar, Gustavus Adolphus' second-in-command, took over leadership of the army. Though Bernhard initially wished to keep the king's death a secret, news of his fate quickly spread through the ranks. Rather than causing to the army to collapse as Bernhard feared, the king's death galvanized the men and yells of "They have killed the King! Avenge the King!" swept through the ranks.

With their lines re-formed, the Swedish infantry swept forward and again assaulted von Wallenstein's trenches. In a bitter fight, they succeeded in capturing the hill and the Catholic artillery. With his situation rapidly deteriorating, von Wallenstein began retreating. Around 6:00 PM, Pappenheim's infantry (3,000-4,000 men) arrived on the field. Ignoring their requests to attack, von Wallenstein used this force to screen his retreat towards Leipzig.

The fighting at Lützen cost the Protestants around 5,000 killed and wounded, while Catholic losses were approximately 6,000. While the battle was a victory for the Protestants and ended the Catholic threat to Saxony, it cost them their most able and unifying commander in Gustavus Adolphus. With the king's death, the Protestant war effort in Germany began to lose focus and the fighting continued another sixteen years until the Peace of Westphalia.

Pike and shot wargaming is a very popular subject, and Lützen is a perfect example for tabletop play. It encapsulates all the elements that define the period, particularly glorious floppy hats.

mediafire.com/file/s5u7aaar2i8ykcc/Osprey - CAM 068 - Lützen 1632.pdf
mediafire.com/file/d6zjpu68z2cc8z6/Osprey - ELI 179 - Pike and Shot Tactics 1590-1660.pdf
mediafire.com/file/akq4ub35892q73h/Osprey - MAA 235 - The Army of Gustavus Adolphus (1) Infantry.pdf
mediafire.com/file/606fucsxxhrykcf/Osprey - MAA 262 - The Army of Gustavus Adolphus (2) Cavalry.pdf
mediafire.com/file/p4me9gtghge5dn1/Osprey - MAA 457 - Imperial Armies of the Thirty Years' War (1) Infantry & Artillery.pdf
mediafire.com/file/4ypsjlbdia40ll5/Osprey - MAA 462 - Imperial Armies of the Thirty Years' War (2) Cavalry.pdf

This month's community project is a recon or scout asset, I think the nominal cutoff date is 15th/16th.

Strawpoll for the next project: strawpoll.me/11649744

Shilling that Highlanders kickstarter from last thread because you assholes made me excited to paint tartan again, and I ended up backing it.
kickstarter.com/projects/940158614/ww2-highlanders-battalion-miniatures

Hope they hit at least the first stretch goal so I can get those bagpipes.

These are airfix 1/72 WW1 French infantry. Very cheap. Quality is average and its a lucky dip with mold-lines, but the poses are awesome. Airfix do a few WW1 kits in this scale.

Kallistra do some great 12mm in both early and late war uniforms:
kallistra.co.uk/?page=113

Hey guise what do you think of my 6mm French napoleonics? Its one battalion made up of 36 figures + command.
PS. How should I organize my cavalry? I have some Hussars and some chasseurs, should I do 1 unit = 1 squadron or 1 unit = 1 regiment and how many men should I have?

australia please go

well fuck I don't know why they're upside down
anyway here's a close up of 2 companies

wat

I usually do Regiments of about 14 to 16 models and my Infantry Battalions in 24 to 30 including command. I base them with about 4 or 6 infantry per base for flexible formations and I do 2 cavalry per base.

7 or 8 bases for a cavalry regiment? sems like a lot to me.

Bmp

I think user was joking about how the pics were upside down

>PS. How should I organize my cavalry? I have some Hussars and some chasseurs, should I do 1 unit = 1 squadron or 1 unit = 1 regiment and how many men should I have?
surely this depends on what sort of game you want to play

Sometimes it is but my group plays Black Powder which is pretty flexible.

Connecting the two, Scottish mercenaries were popular with Swedish armies at the time (like elsewhere too) but a fair amount settled on the western coast of Sweden. "Glen" is a very common first name in Gothenburg to this day.

Reposting once per thread.

Bump with advanced soviet technology.

I have my dudes at 24 guys a stand and I play at corps level so every stand is a brigade.

Are these Adler or Baccus?

I e-mailed you santa user

Any chance some has a pdf for "Armies of By Fire and Sword"

So, how many have emailed you senpai, and from which countries.

Almost 10 people by now, mostly gentlemen from Britain as you would expect.
/WIP/ in comparison is very "US-heavy".

Considering we average about 40 to 50 posters a thread, 10 sign ups to anonymously send and receive Christmas presents sounds pretty cool

If such a truck were to fall into german hands during ww2, what would they do with it?

Assuming they used it, would they repaint it entirely or just slap a big cross on the top or the sides?

From 1941-43 they would most likely drape a flag over the bonnet and/or the cab roof, but that would stop after the Sovs began to gain air superiority. I don't think they'd be too fussed identifying themselves as prominently as a captured tank, for example. A coat of paint and maybe a crudely daubed Balkan cross would probably suffice.

Lützen is famous here in Sweden and the lützendimma(lützenfog)is an expression for an especially thick fog. I thought it was figure of speech mainly enclosed to Sweden but now that you mentioned it, is it a continental thing as well?

I doubt they'd bother to repaint it. Most likely, slap on big-ass crosses (and possibly a flag), at most. It would soon be buried under the mud and dust anyway.

BUMP

Woops.

My Romano-British armoured unit done. I think they're alright although I'm not too happy with the basing.

Whats wrong with the bases?
They are nice.. not spectacular, but not bad either.

Great minis (and paintjob) btw. Where are they from? Footsore?

Would fictional post-apocalyptic futures that boil down to medieval Europe but in America six hundred and fifty years in the future go in this thread? Because After the End is a truly wonderful Crusader Kings 2 mod, and an excellent excuse to play medievals with weird flags and plate-armoured knights of Louisiane defending their Vodun faith against crusades called by the distant Pope Praised-Be from his seat in St Louis.

Plus Rastafari raiding parties terrorising every coast they can reach from the splintering Caribbean Empire, Norse revivalists on the Great Lakes, and a whole fuck-load of angry Aztec and Mayan religions that don't normally get to fight classical knights.

Neat setting, anyway. Some fun flags and themes for an otherwise-historical game, like those weird pick-up games of FoGAM or DBx where it's clear everyone just picked a random army.

Thanks. Yeah they're footsore.

I just dont like how the bases have turned out. I struggle with getting them to a standard I am happy with, not that they're necessarily bad. They either come out too sparse or too crowded or don't gel as a whole.

That's pretty much textbook /awg/ lad

I'm really wanting to try my hand at Modern Warfare minis. I'm looking along the lines of No End in Sight for small infantry or special ops stuff or any of the micro-armor stuff because cheap mass combat seems cool.

I saw the list of modern mini providers but what are the better ones for their respective scales? Mostly looking at the 6mm to 15mm range.

Would be nice to a VBCW-style book for it, tho

>infantry protection

What is footsore's major malfunction in that they sell the dudes without spears?

Man, I wish there were skirmish games that let me use 30YW, WoR or WWI miniatures on 1:1 representation. Luckily, nobody is playing historicals around here

Hey, Westernfront user, how far along is yer book?

>What is footsore's major malfunction in that they sell the dudes without spears?
Most metal manufacturers do that, fuck if I know why.

Ah, I've tried to find decently priced Airfix shite in Canada, but no luck so far.

Lots used to give you spears. When I ordered them Late Romans(when they were Musketeer) they came with those wire spears.

GB used to (and Perry still do) give white metal spears that just bend all the time. That you'd generally replace with rod or wire anyway.

My Illyrians from Warlord came with metal spears (that I chopped down to make better javelins, and ruined my snips on.)

I have some minis by Black Tree Design and they also came with (really pointy) metal/wire spears.

Would I be correct in assuming that there would be little to no difference between the Greek/Serbian/Bulgarian/Romanian armies of the Balkan wars and the Salonika campaign of WW1?

Already made a list for a Bolt Action tourney in February. Thoughts?

>Thoughts

First thought: 9 dice is not enough for 1000 points

I'd go for 8 men veteran squads to save some points and squeeze in another squad maybe.

You can use one german unit right? Why not replace one of the veteran squads with a german squad with more weapon options like panzerfausts or 2 lmgs.

How many dice to aim for then? I played a slow grow tournament at a club, then moved, so I don't really have that much experience, especially with Veteran armies.

Hmm, could lose the pintle MMG on the Zrinyi and go:

8x Vets, SMG, LMG
8x Vets, SMG, LMG
9x Vets, 2x SMG
7x Cavalry

Although then I don't think the cavalry would be up to much, although the main plan for them was outflanking onto objectives.

I'd rather not use German units.

What is it cheaper to get starting armies together for Bolt Action or Flames of War? Based on the ratio of what their rulebooks recommend and the cost of the materials of course.

Its hard to say really and without knowing your local scene you can't know how powerful (or cheesy) their lists will be.

Soviets could probably field 15+ dice at 1000 points if they wanted.

But your list looks decent enough and bringing Hungarians will certainly give you the respect of many opponents.

Bolt Action.

Thanks I'll look into it then.

You can get a bundle which gives you 1000-1500 points (your regular tournament size is 1000 pts) for 75 pound on Warlords Website.
With that you can pick what types of infantry and vehicles you want included. (from a couple of choices each). This is exclusive to the Warlord Webstore.

Other 1000pts starter bundles are available as well for 85 pound (Warlords Price) which can be found on ebay, amazon or other retailers at discount prices. I saw the US starter army for 66€ on Amazon the other day for example.

I assume you don't own paint etc, so get a starter paint set for your chosen army, one or two brushes and maybe a can of colored primer and you are around 100gbp (make it 120 if you need to buy some more hobby supplies like glue, hobby knife, cutter etc.

If you don't want to field a tournament-ready army asap, you can take things slower. One box of 30 Infantry already gives you a ton of options and you could field a 500-750 point veteran army with it.
user here for example has just above 30 soldiers (+ support) in his list

Flames of War, i have no idea. There is a Flames of War General though, they will be able to help you.

Super helpful! Thanks for all the information.

No problem. Do you already have a faction in mind?

Oh, btw. I didn't mention any books because they are all up in the OP.. so keep that in mind. If you want to have the books in paper the price goes up by a bit.

I'm thinking British Commandos, American Airborne, or something with the Soviets, as the friend I got to help me start up a club is looking at elite German units.

>Westernfront user, how far along is yer book?
Its still a long way off friend. The actual writing needs to be done - the ideas are all there but still will take a bit. I also need to play test it a lot. I did a playtest to see if the basic mechanics would work and they do, but the orders / communication / requests and responses from HQ will take a bit to get right. Will be well worth it through - thats the main "WW1 feel" dynamic

I'm looking forward to making gas mask counters to show a unit is wearing gas masks.

I'm also working on pic related, which just needs the flavor descriptions written and the main blurb about China in WW2, so not far off.

Also trying to get my Italian army ready by sunday so we can do a Brits vs Italian demo Ostfront game at the club
Total Italian Forces:
3 X Autocannon da 90 (essentially a flak 88 on a lancia truck)
6 X Fiat M14 Carro Armato (light tanks)
4 X Semovente da 75 (light assault guns)
10 Bases of infantry in tan desert uniforms
4 Bases of Veterans in grey assault landing uniforms
2 X Autoblinda armored cars

Been attempting to design a Springtime of Nations-era Skirmish Game. Main issue I'm running into is how to represent the volley fire that wasn't from the firearms. Other than that, all seems rather decent.

Unrelated, but I'm probably going to get some Airfix models for WW2 (surprisingly cheap here) and set up some model armies for my first actual wargaming project.

Pics/report after, please?

>Airfix models for WW2 (surprisingly cheap here) and set up some model armies for my first actual wargaming project.
Airfix 1/72 are cheap everywhere! one of the main attraction of that scale: cheap, widely available and a pretty good range.
Best of luck user!

Of course. I'll take a photo once all these italians are finished too.

Just finished the supply train marker - its a field kitchen with a guy cooking a massive pot of pasta. Should be hilarious. Always fun scratch building unique little markers like that.

Cast metal spears are shit and historical grogs prefer brass ones, which are cheap and easy enough to make yourself. They should still offer to sell them with the minis though, or at least a convenient pack. Not everybody can be arsed.

It's the 16th so I've added this month's images to an album here hwgprojects.imgur.com/

If you know of any missing from this months or previous, let me know.

Fair, it just happens to be that Airfix is the only one with some model armies that won't cost like 4 times they'd normally would (wanna buy something from, say, Warlord Games, just a starter pack? I can expect to shell out R$300,00; Airfix I can get for R$50).

But yeah, one of the reasons I went with 1/72 was with how easy it'd be to find terrain and props.

Good work. What's the Nov-Dec project?

You could take off the second pic with just the two K-class cruisers. I posted that one initially because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get to the others.

Well the strawpoll's pretty conclusive with "something to do with food" as the top pick, so let's go with that. It could be a field kitchen, a looter carrying off a goose, a chuck wagon, a resupply vehicle of some kind, a pagan feast, perhaps even a cantiniere and her wagon of goodies.

Sweet, I'll paint up my hidden movement markers for M&T, since they're delicious woodland creatures.

I recon that it's really a scouting asset. For if even this poor feller in ragged clothes isn't prospector, he's certainly looking for trouble showing to a gunfight with a picaxe like that!

Few things to clarify: I have not painted sides of the base, for I still look for a good way to signal sight arcs on them. It's quick painted, missed two big moldlines (Where the fuck I had my eyes? That is really miserable.) and face is really meh. But it's like 13th figure I painted in last six years, and first in four months, so I hope it only gets better.

Also- beauty of 1/72- I bought box of American Civil War pioneers for like 4 pounds and I have few of most poses to try again, till I get this right.

Does vodka count as food for WW2 Soviets?
:0)

I don't know, but now I wish I knew where all my crates and bits were so that I could put together a pile of pasta rations. I get the chance, I'll have to go dig for them.

>something to do with food

Oh boy, time to paint up some dead soviet peasants

Revell right?
Its super rare these days.

Reposting my recon vehicles for the gallery.

Finding a mini or something related to food will be quite a challenge.

Booze qualifies, yes

Yes. Is it really? I just came into scout gear store (it's kinda traditional here that they sell models) and saw it on shelf. My luck I guess. The Revell Cowboys- that's the stuff I had to search far and wide.

I also tried to rotate the picture. Hope it works.

When i was a child these Revell kits were extremely common in every toy store. I had lots of ACW stuff, but also Normans, Aztecs, 100, 30 and 7-year war minis.
These sets are all gone now and prices on ebay are horrible compared to what they used to cost. I'm not sure if they ever re-release them, but currently revell mostly sells some ww2 sets (most of which are re-released stuff from other companies like matchbox and italeri).

Friend's grandfather, Polish opportunist who became soviet oficer and then moved to First Polish Army, survived the siege of Leningrad. When he died, like in 2006, they discovered that he was all the time making his own hardtacks from bread, you know ,,just in case".

He elaborated little on the war, and especially this episode. Familly didn't really care as well, my friend was probably one of the first to ask. When my friend expressed some compasion over his senility, his mother told him: ,,Yea, now he is old. But a son of a whore he was his whole life". Live for a better epitaph anons.

He did called after-Lenino period ,,the War", and said it was ,,nice and calm, and no one ever screamed at him". Not hard to imagine as he was part of the regiments soviet-style court-martial, son of a bitch. May God have mercy upon his roten soul.

For those of you following the development of Naval War, I've got some good news:

Version 1.3, which will include a lot of fixes and tweaks, will be released by the end of the month unless things go massively wrong.
This will also include the Italian and French force lists, giving us forces for every major naval combatant at the start of the war unless you count the Soviet Union.

Alongside this release there should also be a proper website.

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to this; a proper naval wargame that doesn't fall down the simulationist rabbit-hole, available for free as a living ruleset.
Assuming we don't end up finding anything seriously broken in 1.3, the only things needed afterwards will be stat cards for later-war vessels/aircraft and fleet lists with points values for them.
Based on how those have gone so far, those will probably be developed 1 or 2 at a time with the priority determined by the interests of the playerbase. Personally, I'm rather interested in getting stuff for Guadalcanal.

Does one of you guys use 1:43 diecast cars/trucks with 28mm minis?

You probably talk to HJS outside of the forum. Got any idea which Italian ships still need descriptions? I'd like to get back on them again, but I don't want to duplicate effort if he's been working on them too.

And he makes a post like 15 mins ago to the effect. Right then. Back to it.

I believe the best scale for 28mm is 1/56 or 1/48

Sure, but i just discovered that there is a company from russia which does tons of different 1:43 diecast trucks and jeeps and military vehicles so i wonder if these might be worth to buy.

ebay.de/itm/262398897489?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thats way cheaper than your usual resin kit and its already assembled and painted (it probably needs to be repainted, but still).

1:43 is gigantic compared to 28mm figures, closer to something like 40mm

Leave them unbased and accept that they'll be a bit oversized, but they can work, especially if they're cheap (and your infantry are on thicker bases).

I'm looking to get into Bolt Action. How are the Finns? Are they decently fun to play? Alternatively I was looking to make an SS Estonian unit made up of the German models.

>Alternatively I was looking to make an SS Estonian unit made up of the German models.
I'd say go with that. With the finns you have nowhere to go once you're finished with early war and want to play in late.

Even with the continuation war?

I'm usually not shilling for a company, but in case of Fireforge i'll make an exception because they are awesome guys.

They just released (kinda, its available for pre-order) their Burn & Loot Starting Set.

fireforge-games.com/webstore/middle-age/unit-deals/burn-loot-starting-set-details

I must be honest, I don't know the Finnish army list that well but do you have any kind of late war tank at all? Or Heavy anti tank guns?

They have the PAK 40 as their heaviest AT, and their heaviest tanks are the KV-1 and the STUG III G

>KV-1 and the STUG III G
I guess I was wrong then.
But another thing. I'm coming from just finishing a rare army and it's models are mostly metal and/or expensive. I'm just starting a plastic army and it feels great.

I hate metal and I come from 40k but I'll have to deal with it. I'm gunna buy a 1500pt army on Skis and a Stug.