Fantasy Guns

It's easy enough to say how some sword was made and used in some kind of epic way but what about guns?

What sort of legendary gunsmiths are out there? What circumstance cemented this particular weapon or model into fame/infamy? What do people think when they see you walking with a limp from the weight of your heat?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wrImp-ek3bI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freischütz
supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/The_Colt
shadowwarrior.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Shadow_Warrior_2_Weapons
youtu.be/1Pb1Voc85ac
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Prior to the World Wars, there was an enormous technological disparity between the kind of guns that a rich noble could commission from a master craftsman and what the average person had. Privately owned weapons were centuries ahead of even military gear.

Imagine someone in the 1500s turning up with this breech-loader firing brass cartridge rounds when you have an ordinary muzzle loading gun. He's literally got a weapon three centuries ahead of its time, firing ten shots for every one you can fire.

You can use the same explanations most fantasy weapons do. They make about as much sense for firearms as for swords.

>What do people think when they see you walking with a limp from the weight of your heat?
"Look at that idiot, he'll probably break his shoulder the moment he tries to fire that thing."

youtube.com/watch?v=wrImp-ek3bI

Werewolves shrug off anything smaller okay? Jeez.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freischütz

Forgotten Weapons did a video on one of those a few days ago.

It can be the same as a weapon really:
- furniture made from some magical tree
- metal from meteorite
- blessed by god
- used to kill satan
- quenched in blood
stuff like that would work

or you could do things like barrel carved from giants thigh bone allowing the use of much higher pressure cartridges, giving a higher velocity and shot weight which increases damage

you could also do ammo enchantments, so gunpowder made from blood and bone or some shit like that

It was designed by the Devil.

what about a gun designed to kill the devil? what if i have the players go on a magic quest for it? and maybe, once they find it, i can have it run out of ammo?

I recall a thread from years ago where it was calculated how much blood you would need to extract the iron to make a pistol. It was a fuckton, but probably doable if you're a sufficiently brutal tyrant.

Two ideas came to me:

>The Devil-Gun never needs to reload. Given to someone by a Demon, a new bullet appears on it as long as the mortals' souls the user kills with it are dedicated to the demon.

>White Lead is the most powerful substance one can fire against devils. Small pebbles as white as polished ivory can hurt the otherwordly with unhealable wounds and searing pain. What neither would-be hero or demon knows is that a lord of hell forges it out of soulstuff, and through intermediaries, seels it for anyone which looks like they might confront his rivals.

>what about a gun designed to kill the devil? what if i have the players go on a magic quest for it? and maybe, once they find it, i can have it run out of ammo?

It could be a weapon made by God himself, given only to the most devoted soldier of righteousness. A shot fired from it could never harm an innocent, but would cause a witch or demon to perish instantly.

IT's worth noting that only 65% of the iron in the body is in the blood. So you'd need way more blood, or you'd need to burn the bones as well.

John Moses Browning, High Prophet of the /k/ube, builder of the M2 Browning. A weapon so perfect, it's design has not changed for over 100 years. If there was ever a weapon that could destroy evil in the hands of the chosen warrior, the M2 would be it

I have a theory. What if dragons (tamable) stagnate medieval fantasy worlds? Why do i need to build an a-10 warthog when i have all the qualities in an organic creature which can be bred?

The King wants to buy a gift for his favorite nephew. You offer him a firearm worthy of the King's immense affection (and wealth). It doesn't matter what sort of game the nephew might stalk, hipo, T.rex, Shoggoth, MiG, cruise-liner, it's no bother since his royal uncle purchased him the very best.

Built a WoD character around exactly this concept actually, rich big game hunter turning his skills against monsters after one killed his brother on a camping trip.

*takes guncase out of car, meeting up with the rest of the group for the first time*
"Hey you know guns don't work that well against vampires right?"
"This one will" *takes out a 500 nitro express designed to kill thing like charging elephants* "Hard to regenerate without a torso"

in a buddy's high level pathfinder game i had a gunslinger who's revolver was made from the melted down blessed sword of his paladin older bother, the chambers of the gun formed the circle of the archangel metatron (pic) while the outside was written with holy script banishing evil so it was like a prayer wheel and each time he fired all six shots it repeated, and the inside of the barrel was carved with holy symbols so every shot was blessed as he loaded and fired.
Named the whole thing Wolf of the Evenings after the line from Jeremiah 5:6.
Fuck i put alot of work into the lore for a weapon for what as basicly a plotless dungion crawl

What if your gun was not a gun but an amalgamation of hundreds of guns distilled into a single implement of death. A monstrous, cannibal gun composed of only the strongest and most worthy portions of other firearms, a kodoku gun if you will. What if the angry souls of all the sacrificed weapons made it restless and bloodthirsty? The reclaimed grip of the outlaw's smokewagon constantly finding its way into your hand. The stub barrel of the civilian-strafing pilot's machine gun constantly propping open the lid of its case.

The master Gunsmith Ozhamdius, desperately wanting to outperform his competition made a pact with the/a devil to create the finest firearm in existence. however the/a devil could not provide the pistol itself, only the plans. being arrogant and of course a master gunsmith he accepts, in return for his soul when he passes.

when he looks over the plans they seem reasonable, more than reasonable they are genius, things he had never dreamed of. however as the old saying goes, "the devil is in the detail". and as he quickly found out the task of creating this masterpiece far more than a mortal task. each mistake requiring a rebuild of the impossibly complex machine, each setback taking months at least.

slowly this task robbed him of his sanity, reducing him to a ranting, raving, muttering mess. however as he neared the end of his greatest work he came across the most precious and difficultly acquired piece of the plan, a human soul.

in what was either a bafflingly singular moment of clarity, or otherwise the depths of his lunacy. he chose his own soul just to spite the devil.

Magic controlling when/where/who the gun can shoot makes for some fun possibilities.
-Despot's praetorian rifles that can't be turned on him
-Cannons forged by the Mage-King that will only sound in defense of the country
-slaved arms that always point/only shoot when the master does
-bane-rifles that only shoot at their chosen enemy(just the thing to avoid friendly-fire when hunting knife-ears in the woods)

"You're looking for a Gunsmith around here, boy? Only Gunnie you'll find in these parts is Ol' Man Brass, and he lives in the hills on t'other side of town. He made the gun you see hanging over the fireplace, about fifty years ago, and he gave it to my pap who used it to kill an orc chieftain. Ever since, that piece has had a hatred of the green. What I'm saying is, Ol' Man Brass is damn good at what he does.

"Watch out though, he has a tendency to shoot first, and he recently built hisself a new gun. Some kinda revolvin' shooter, I hear, carved from a skyshark tooth and powdered with grave mould. They say it calls you to the grave before the shot hits you..."

The first thing I thought of was the scene in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly where Tuco strips like three revolvers for parts to make his own custom pistol.

Depending on your fondness of German Romantic Opera, you might take the der Freischutz approach. The legendary gun is always found empty but can be loaded a number of times by those willing to forfeit their soul. How ordinary people react to characters ambitious/desperate enough to die for power will probably boil down to who created the gun. Was it a holy order enabling selfless martyrs to punish the wicked or a twisted genius who wanted to tempt Man into destruction with a taste of God's own thunder.

It depends on what kind of gun tech you're at, obviously. Once rifles started becoming mass produced and usually based on specific patterns, it becomes harder to make an individual weapon "special" than if an elderly gunsmith forged the weapon using nothing but his teeth and decaying skin.

That being said, I like how Planetside 2 does their Auraxium weapons. On top of being plated with what is basically space gold, they all usually have some neat quirk that is attributed to aftermarket mods or experimental tech. Some even have small little nods to the lore, like The Tempest being used by an elite special forces unit in a pivotal mission.

For example, NC's Brawler shotgun is a variant of their normal shotgun, but with an underbarrel shotgun attached, something that is not normally allowed. Because the NC loves shotguns to a sexual degree, no joke.

>hipo, T.rex, Shoggoth, MiG, cruise-liner
you posted the wrong gun, user

supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/The_Colt

I had my party come across a trio of finely-crafted guns in an abandoned monastery. They were forged by dwarven monks that worshiped the lightning god that represented destruction and creation. There were two pistols and a rifle, all three of which were engraved with various mythological symbols and aspects of the god. The guns weren't magic, but they were certainly among the first of their kind, considering the party found them in an abandoned location right when guns were just beginning to enter the fields of war

The Halfling Rogue used one of the pistols pretty much exclusively for the rest of the campaign.

Every gun smith you encounter has to be unique and eccentric and good buddies with the Sword smith in town as well (possibly working out of the same building).

You go to a town on the outskirts and the gunsmith there is very bare bones and down to earth making solid and reliable rifles and pistols for the folks who go out and cut lumber and hunt. Probably is in a relationship with the baker's daughter and just recently had the shop passed on to him from his mentor who took him in as a kind when his parents were killed by a horde of owlbears driven into town by an Orc shamen.

You go into the city and there are quite a few but the one that stands out looks like the guys from pawn stars and whenever he's not crafting a gun he's doing it up at the bar only getting as far as he does because he has money as the looks arn't there. Fuck it, looks arn't all that important when you got the cash.

But besides boozing it up and fucking sleazy gold digging bar flys he takes his craft pretty seriously putting a great deal of detail into his custom peices his proudest one being a pistol to a gang boss with his mother's portrait engraved on ironwood grip.

i want to play a character like this. Could i pull this off in the WoD Hunter game? or SR?

The engravings are not just ornamentation, these magical runes and words of power imbue the weapon with special effects.

>It's easy enough to say how some sword was made and used in some kind of epic way but what about guns?
Shouldn't it be more about the ammo than the gun?

Of course gun is still important because you wouldn't have standardized calibers.

>pic
muh nigga

A lot of the weapons from the new Shadow Warrior game would count. Most are either made by, or from, demons, and almost all of the ones that aren't are made using technology derived from a scientific understanding of chi, in the form of chi-tech.

shadowwarrior.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Shadow_Warrior_2_Weapons

>but what about guns?
Why not same as a sword?
It killed a dragon. It killed a god. God imbued it with holy powers. Whatever.

Probably because you're missing two very important qualities: Mass production, and control.

Dragons may breed, but only so fast. In particular, they only MATURE so fast. You can build a lot more warplanes a lot faster than you can dragons, even if you assume dragons breed more like, say, horses. And most fantasy depictions have them breeding and maturing a lot slower.

And then once you've bred them, you need to be able to control them. And even when they're not D&D style SUPERIOR BEINGS™, dragons are proud and ornery beasts.

Exceptional taste.
youtu.be/1Pb1Voc85ac

>all this talk of guns and magic gun

im no /k/ommando but I love it.

>you will never remove 16 kebab without reloading during the Siege of Vienna dual-wielding a pair of pic related

If anything, a dragon would spur the creation of Firearms and Anti-Aircraft weapons in order to counter it, not stagnate.

Tolkien based his dragons' resilience on alligators and other reptilian megafauna; they are fully capable of deflecting small arms including things that would shred a primitive biplane - much like Gustav the crocodile.

It only works in a post-apocalyptic setting, but I've always liked the idea of guns being rare and powerful artifacts, for the secret of their making has been lost. They come from a different time, when things were built to last. Those lucky enough to find or inherit one pass it down through generations, teaching their children rituals of care and maintenance which had taken on deeply spiritual attributes. Over time some might guns might earn titles or unique legends associated with them as they pass from owner to owner.

Well, they kind of did in one D&D setting, but they also spurred the creation of something else. I mean, they called the setting DragonMech for a reason.

Then again, the dragons there are really more like dragon-shaped eldritch abominations from the moon that only started showing up after the moon started hitting the planet with lunar rain, which is basically micro-meteors that leave behind super-heated ash clouds.

>The engravings are not just ornamentation, these magical runes and words of power imbue the weapon with special effects.

I think that fantasy can do well with inscribed weapons, even when they don't do anything other than look cool.
>smile, wait for flash
>if you want peace prepare for war
>the last bullet is for you
>go ahead, make my day
>one shot, one kill
>say 'cheese'
>this side toward enemy
>last resort
>final option
>pull in case of emergency
>for when the talking stops
>final argument of kings
>the devil's advocate
>diplomacy
>happiness
>Plan B
>call my lawyer
>if you can read this, it's too late (on front of barrel)
>draw me not without reason, sheath me not without honor

>>draw me not without reason, sheath me not without honor

I loved unique weapons if Fallout because if in some other RPG this sword can have a name and a history and cool lore then why can't this cool gat i found in a ditch

>"Yours, not mine."

Man, some of the exotics in Destiny do the whole 'unique/magic gun' thing really well. I'd put Touch of Malice, Bad Juju, and Thorn at the top- by grimoire card, at least.

I mean, you have guns that literally work by bending space and time.