EDH/Commander General

Huge Commanders Edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-let-it-burn/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-11-16-sydri/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-eggs-combo/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In the spirit of the thread topic, I'll admit that most of my decks use huge commanders as combat wrecking balls. Nothing gives me more joy than resolving a Chandra's Ignition on Kresh and one-shotting someone, or slipping a 30/30 Karlov through after exiling their blockers.

Does anyone have a good Breya/Sydri infinite combo list? I'm getting the precon tomorrow and want some more ideas to build off of.

>he uses the inferior artifact commanders

>hey, I'm just gonna look for a budget alternative for Demonic Tutor that works well in my deck
>it's just as expensive
Fuck me.

>Quick, post green Sorceries and Instants that basically win the game when infinitely recurred via Mirari + Regrowth + Revive

I'll start:
Storm Seeker
Plow Under
Seedtime

>goldnight castigator, panharmonicon, parallel lives and five 1/1 human tokens on the field from increasing devotion.
>flashback increasing devotion
>mfw

>when recurred infinitely

all of them

what is that glass for
she has paws
how does she drink from it

>how does she drink from it
very carefully

So Veeky Forums I got pissed at my playgroup and am now building an Atraxa Stax deck which is going to be opressive as fuck.

Stasis locks, torpor orbs, infect, you name it.

Magistrate's for the extra turns, Chronologist, all of it.

Planeswalkers and infect to just top it off.

Do you have any suggestions except "kill yourself"?

Tangle Wire is disgusting with proliferate

oh, just got a chub thinking about it

Deadeye and Mana Echoes is pretty dumb with Breya, though not infinite on its own because of colored mana.

i hope this isn't the kind of "pissed" that destroys playgroups

>Playing Thromok
>Ulasht's feeble cousin

ulasht always seemed way too clunky
sell me on him

Fun uses for Ulasht:

1: Works better with the obligatory doubling season
Chump block with him and use his ability to create X saprolings,
Next turn recast him double size

3. Add Skullclamp for 2: Draw two cards

4: Conjuror's closet becomes
X: Create X saprolings and Ulasht gets X bigger at end of turn.

He starts smaller, but he can grow more, and has more synergy

I just felt like he was too mana intensive to be viable, and board wipes completely shut down everything he's been building to.

Thromok admittedly dies to removal hard and doesn't like boardwipes either, but when he goes off, HE GOES OFF.

Parallax Wave and Tide are also pretty good.

goldknight commander* not castigator fuk

Nah, I'm just sick and tired of everyone going more and more cutthroat so I'm just gonna try and slow everything down.

At the moment the playstyle of the group has devolved into "who can tutor their infinite faster".

sounds like a terrible case of spikism

i'm very happy that my playgroup understands that games are more fun when everyone plays their decks at 75% power. there's basically an unspoken agreement that no one puts shit in their decks that would make the entire table groan

I personally like playing against competitive decks, but the fun-factor is gone in these kind of situations where everyone is just playing solitaire, at least now they will have to deal with me being a dick to everyone first, kek.

blowfly infestation. the gift that keeps on giving. you can effectively kill with just poliferation. Inexorable Tide makes all your spells poliferate when you can them too.

every fucking propaganda effect known to man

>4color for stax
Stax should be keeped on 1-2 colors, so you can abuse stony silence and null rod

why is the yidris mana base so meh compared to the other c16 decks?

My opponent has necroskitter and I have bane of progress with few few +1 counters on him. If my opponent black suns enough to kill bane, he comes back on my opponents sides because he was last remembered on the battlefield with -1 -1 counters as well right, even though they cancel

so does the exile card from cascade also have cascade?

>Spends 10 minutes comboing with elves to get a bunch of lands and live 5 extra elves
>Oath of Druid into Cataclysmic Gearhulk

>"player has left the game"

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

If you need a "budget alternative" to a fucking 10 dollar card, find a new hobby.

I dunno, genius, is the Exile zone your hand?

if there was enough minus counters to kill it and still have it when it goes to the grave yes. the only senario it wouldnt happen if a base 0/0 with equal amounts of minuses as pluses as they null each other but isnt the killing blow.

>a base 0/0 with equal amounts of minuses as pluses as they null each other but isnt the killing blow.
...what?

Minuses and pluses null each others but 0/0 is a kill..

you could spend that 10 dollars to buy 50 gray merchants

didnt think of that, did you

Okay, I want to make sure I understand what you're saying:

Are you saying that if I had a 0/0 with five +1/+1 counters on it, and then someone played a Black Sun's Zenith for X=5, that Necroskitter wouldn't trigger? Because you're wrong if that's what you're saying.

Am a different person from OP just replied on the counter part..
If You have a 0/0 with 5 +1/+1 on it then someone else play blacksun With X=5, it dépend You owns the necroskitter..

New to commander, how much ramp would you play?
I'm playing Tasigur and have the following
38 lands
5 artifact ramps
3 mana dorks
5 'put land into play' cards
exploration + burgeoning
oracle of mul daya
Is this way too much?

About half my spells are 3 or less and half are like 4-6 CMC

I'm gonna guess English isn't you first language.

You're probably going a little too hard, honestly. I think 38 lands, 5 rocks, and 5 "other" (whether that be Rampant Growth effects, mana dorks, or a combination thereof) is plenty and a half.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Burgeoning, but that's just me.

M'y autocorrect fuckboard betrayed me

I just bought all the singles I'll be using to upgrade the stock C16 decks I bought (yidris and gaymen).
>tfw combined total of precons and singles is $100 exactly
It's hip to be square :')

Share your good purchase feels with me, /edhg/

Was about To say that if necroskitter is yours and die on the blacksunzenith then it do not trigger

No shit, sherlock. It says "Opponent".

Post commanders that seem neat at first but really aren't.

Do you think that this is enough sweepers?
Pernicious Deed
Damnation
Cyclonic Rift
Toxic Deluge
Ugin

guys I quit yugioh a few years ago, Magic seems really appealing and commander seem like the most appealing format, would you discourage me from starting with commander? I really only wanna play for fun

helb

Ok let's rewind à little would we? You and Adolf playing edh, You play necroskitter he already have a 2/2 with one -1/-1 on it.. it's turn, he plays a blacksunzenith at 5..
Two crea dies.. the necroskitter isn't on the board when his crea goes in his yard, how could it trigger then?

Commander is the most expensive to hop into, typically, but you're in luck--precons just came out.

Look into the Commander 2015 or 2016 product line, buy one, and hop in.

Although if you don't actually know basic MtG mechanics you should start in limited because people at LGSs are often more helpful than your cynical friends. preferably sealed if you're incompetent at telling left from right.

>preferably sealed if you're incompetent at telling left from right

looks like I'm starting with sealed, thanks famalam

Well, to be fair, I think that 4 colour stax is pretty bad idea. UW or esper stax are great.
I don't speak from experience though, it's just that I think that Back To Basics is required card in any stax deck, depending on the meta of course.
Smokestack is auto include too, it works well with proliferate.

I just bought most of the cards for this deck (everything except most of the lands and a few of the more expensive enchantments). Hopefully the cards come in before Thursday so I can try it out this week.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-let-it-burn/

Depends on your meta, honestly. In some areas having 5 sweepers is excessive, and in others 5 is nowhere near enough.

Because creatures that leave the battlefield simultaneously see each other do so, and trigger appropriately.

I started mtg with commander 2011, lots of fun if You have players nearby

Agreed, but it's written "put into a graveyard" not "leave the battlefield" wording matters no?

No. Either one of those would work. Necroskitter will 'see' the creature dying, even if Necroskitter itself is dying. That's why Blood Artist triggers for everything during a Wrath, and not just itself.

You're a retard. They die simultaneously, so it still triggers.
Anyway, he's wrong. Let's say that I have Ghave on the field with 5 counters. Zenith with X=5 will reduce him to a 0/0, and he won't have minus counters on him at that point when state based actions are checked, so Necroskitter won't trigger. However, if X exceeds the number of counters on ghave, you get him. Same goes for Dusk Urchins, if you Zenith for say 20 ad you control Urcins with nothing on them, you'll draw 20 cards after Zenith resolves.
Creatures can't have minus and plus counters on them at the same time.
So for the original, if Bane is killed by Zenith, you get him after the dip unless something prevents it.

On a side note, I love It That Betrays, since he grabs all sacced permanents no matter where they go, exile or command zone even, unless they move away from that zone when ITB's ability resolves.

>and he won't have minus counters on him at that point when state based actions are checked, so Necroskitter won't trigger
Incorrect. The counters 'negating' each other and creatures being put into the bin for having 0 toughness are both SBAs, which are checked and enacted simultaneously. It had -1/-1 counters on it when it died, because "remove all these counters" and "kill me" happen at the exact same time.

How is that relevant at all? You can buy 50 Diabolic tutors as well with that price and it does the same thing. Still, quality is more important than quantity, at least in EDH.
Intent can be better than Demonic in some cases, as I have used it as a sac outlet for Lark and won the game countless times.

Ok with that

Oh, well thanks for clearing that up. Do you have the ruling for that though?

It's not a "ruling". This isn't Yugioh. Interactions work because the RULES say so, not because a 'ruling' was made for that specific interaction.

But yes. 704.7. If a state-based action results in a permanent leaving the battlefield at the same time other state-based actions were performed, that permanent's last known information is derived from the game state before any of those state-based actions were performed.
Example: You control Young Wolf, a 1/1 creature with undying, and it has a +1/+1 counter on it. A spell puts three -1/-1 counters on Young Wolf. Before state-based actions are performed, Young Wolf has one +1/+1 counter and three -1/-1 counters on it. After state-based actions are performed, Young Wolf is in the graveyard. When it was last on the battlefield, it had a +1/+1 counter on it, so undying will not trigger.

Totally agree with You but don't be insulting it just bring hostility in a ground where it is more than already present (mtg match) (although mtg is fun)

>Totally agree with you
Well you shouldn't because he's wrong

>buy the breya precon and edit it a little bit
>friend who bought atraxa and built it as superfriends thinks breya is shit in every way compared to breya and wants to test his atraxa out against my breya
>everytime he casts atraxa, it diee to breya's ability and all his walkers end up being countered or dead through other means
>end the game with breya swinging for lethal

Even without infinite combos, breya is no joke

No, Breya is trash. Your opponent was just fucking stupid to cast his Atraxa while you visibly had Breya, 2 mana, and 2 artifacts.

Her ability is overcosted as shit and she's a bad Commander.

I hope it works out for you. The deck looks like a lot of fun... for you, at least. And even then, you're not afraid to bleed a little bit yourself! It's perfectly Rakdos! I love it!

Fuck off Lawrence. Next game I'll just mill you out.

Still desperately trying to cut down this Sydri list. I can't see anything I actually want to remove. And before anybody says to cut Willbender, it can counter Krosan Grip, which is played in line 90% of the cards in my meta.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-11-16-sydri/

>lawrence

Oh jeez

>not having friends named lawrence

G E T R E A D Y

Magus of the Tabernacle
Willbender
Caltrops
Time Sieve
Fortuitous Find
Twincast
Vanish into Memory

>cutting Caltrops in Sydri
C'mon son

>Cut Caltrops
>from Sydri

I've never built Sydri, but even with her abilities, it still doesn't seem all that good to me.

So is the appeal of this that its only been printed once/twice? compared to vampiric tutor which is arguably better?

As long as you have her and Caltrops out, leave up WUB and nobody will attack you.

Hell, you don't even need them to attack -you-. You can just fuck up any of their attackers.

Scarcity, yeah. Imperial Seal has only ever been printed in Portal: Three Kingdoms, and the english print run of that was extremely limited in both quantity and scope (I think it was ONLY released in Australia?).

I see it now! Wow. That's some good tech. So yeah, fuck what I said. Cut something else.

Breya eggs is fun though.

I'm aking a big old wooden box for a ton of cards and I have the opportunity to spray paint something on the top with a stencil.

Any ideas what kind of MTG-related art to use? I feel like putting all the mana symbols would make it overdesigned so I was just thinking of putting a plain ol' planeswalker symbol there. but then that might be a bit too bland. thoughts?

>breya eggs

I have been hearing about this but not seen what it is or even does, indulge me.

There's way better sac outlets.

I don't really know what is worst, the people who surrenders to infinite combos or those who stay until you complete the combo

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-eggs-combo/
It can still be tunned

If it's a true infinite (Kiki Jiki + Resto, for example) I'll just have them shortcut to their 'end state' and see if anyone else has a response (like a Fog to buy us a turn).

If it's something that they CAN fuck up, I'm gonna make them finish it.

>breya is bad meme
Did you also sold your nahiris at 8 bucks?

Breya -is- bad. She's shitty removal or shitty burn or shitty lifegain. There's better sac outlets for an artifact deck, there's better removal for a WUB deck, there's better combo enablers. She's not actually good at anything, she's just shitty at five things.

Nahiri is also a shitty card and I don't fucking understand how it's the cornerstone of Modern. If you can tap out for a 4 mana permanent on turn 4 and nobody fucking interacts with it for 2 straight turns, you were already winning that game.

>someone plays an infinite damage combo
>congratulate him and tell him he can leave the table and let the rest of the table to compete for 2nd place
>snicker at him behind his back as he willingly scoops up his cards and leaves
>slash his tires later

>Nahiri is also a shitty card
Yeahm that's why all RW decks on edh instapack her
You already showed us that you are bad at evaluating magic cards, now go play your geist of saint traft or narset edh and say how you easily beat anyone else.

>slash his tires later

woooowoowoowowow we believe yoooou

>Playing dor 2nd place after you have been defeated
Is already a disgrace that you have lost, but it's worst that you can't accept the fact that your deck is shit

I'm pretty sure that for years Diabolic Intent was considered a trash rare and therefore cheap. Which is a shame, because the way *I* read the card to work, it not only costs the same as a Demonic Tutor mana-wise, but it doubles as a sacrifice outlet. And it's *great* in EDH.