Forum-based RPs: Not Even Once

So most of us are undoubtedly aware that forum-based RPs exist. Most of them are shit. Some, I assume, are ok. This is a thread about the former. If you've ever tried a forum-based RP before, post your worst stories here in whatever format you prefer. (Pic unrelated but in my Veeky Forums folder and mildly interesting.)

I'll begin:
>Forum-based RP set in 1500s Europe with present but limited magic supposedly restricted to NPCs and background characters
>Play a German mercenary searching for a missing friend
>Another player creates a time-displaced Roman legionary with magical teleport powers and continually harasses my character for being a "Germanian barbarian"
>Teleporting Roman murders my character in his sleep the first time I stop at an inn
>Create new character as an Italian mercenary from Rome, fluent in Latin
>Teleporting Roman calls new character a barbarian anyway
>Churches are supposed to be safe sanctuaries by rules, take shelter in one
>Teleporting Roman murders new character and entire church in their sleep regardless
>GM is perfectly ok with this situation

In retrospect the first part was kind of funny but it was infuriating at the time.

Other urls found in this thread:

pandius.com/maps.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

...So I take it I'm the only one stupid enough to have actually tried a forum RP?

Tried entering once.

Everything on that site was animu bullshit and things so cliched that got boring.

damn, now I want to run a campaign with teleporting roman as the BBEG

Set the game in Han China and have everything change when the teleporting Romans attack.

>join forum RP
>GM stops posting
>RP dies
Every single time.
Aside from the time I ended up playing with a Austrian drunkard who would yell at people over Skype and an Americlap that liked his lolies just a bit too much.

Who made that map and how can I contact them?

Had a story like that.

>Join forum RP
>GM seems like a swell sort
>Day after I join RP GM is banned by forum admin for not sending her nudes to use to model him for a yaoi doujin (she later asked and banned me as well, I was 13 at the time)
>Two new GMs appointed to replace him
>Only one actually GMs anything, the other is just a forum moderator too busy with rest of the forum to care
>Other GM disappears for a year and returns much later, coming out as trans and saying they had to leave the forum for "their mental safety"
>Small group of male players continue RPing despite no GMs, keep things relatively in order
>Forum admin says he's going to shut the RP down and delete all related posts because it's "wasting space"
>Players lobby for a member of the playerbase to be appointed new GM
>Admin agrees, playerbase selects one of the remaining players to be the new GM
>Trans former GM complains that new GM isn't female or trans thus discrimination
>Admin bans new GM, gives all the RPers warnings for not appointing a female or trans replacement GM and shuts down RP

This was 15 years ago.

Looks like something from one of the map making utilities.

>Forum admin says he's going to shut the RP down

*she's

Well no fucking shit it's made with hexographer, but that's not what I was asking about.

Google says it's the Mystara setting, looks to be Vault of Pandius' work: pandius.com/maps.html

I actually spent quite a few years on a pretty chill RP forum based on MMBN.

Hung out way more in chat than actually played tho. The community was like-minded nerds, even the admin only had shades of assholism. I sometimes check back but the chat-thing is based on java and basically dies on any modern browser, so I give up and leave.

Does browser-based text games count, or it needs to be exclusively forum-based?

Given the thread activity? Either works so long as storytimes are involved.

I never ran into anything this bad, desu.

Did some on WoW's RP forum years ago. Killing off other PCs basically got you kicked from a thread unless the two of you discussed it OOC.

Got invited to another RP community two years ago and it's mostly a massive multi-verse slice of life. Kinda fun, but all the threads I was in died as people got distracted.

Played a forum-based quasi-RP, quasi-nation running game once.

>Get chosen to run Italy
>Sack the Vatican, ransom the Pope to France; ransom includes Carla Bruni
>France locks the Pope in Notre-Dame and sets fire to it
>Meanwhile Germany and Slovakia are duking it out.

I was young.

>Me and some friends tried to set one up to just play in the background of our lives passively.
>Died on the third post.
>The end .

Reminds me of a Nationstates-based spinoff RP I was in once.

>Playing pseudo-Imperial Germany
>RP internal propaganda news station saying I'm building a space shuttle
>Moderator playing a rival nation edits my post to say I'm building a star destroyer and warns me for cheating
>Moderator gets stripped of position by an admin, ragequits RP
>Other admin and two moderators form ingame alliance of nations
>Ragequit mod comes back and joins alliance
>Admin-mod alliance starts openly breaking the rules and cheating
>Called out by rest of playerbase
>Admins and mods not part of the alliance strip the cheating mods of their positions and call for the other admin to resign
>Other admin deletes entire forum
>Admin-mod alliance makes their own forum and RP, which goes nowhere
>Rest of playerbase revives RP on their own forum

NSEurope's still going today, I noticed. Lot of fun memories from there.

Post more maps like this

Pretty much 80% of RPing I ever done was forum-based because I live in bumfuck nowhere with no people to play tabletop.

And no, I never seen something as stupid as what you described. There were some shitty situations, there were some /thatguy/s, but the community usually successfully put a stop on bullshit before it escalated. I can count on one hand all the situations when things became extremely bad, and I RPed on forums some 7-8 years.

Just to clarify, I played free-form without any numbers involved, I played with descriptive stats ('Agility 7 means a character with Dex 4 has no way to hit you'), and with actual tabletop rulebooks (Pathfinder and Vampire: The Masquerade).

Someone post the Edgardo greentext

I need to smile today

What do you use to make a map like this? I remember hearing what it was but forgot.

Hexographer. Please read the thread next time.

>through heavy searching manage to find obscure forum RP
>long story short, it´s about four kingdoms each tied to a certain season because plot
>players are mostly nobility, which are more magical beings than people
>style is exquisite, plots are interesting, the playerbase is mature and respectful, the world has a sort of ethereal and mysterious feeling, hard to describe. Everything is quite well written
>most characters are genuinely interesting, barely any cliches about and even those tend to be rather well treated or minor aspects of a character
>peaked at 30 members months ago
>only a handful playing anymore
>the whole system just doesn´t hold up if there´s not enough people
>dies out soon

I earn a living by writing and sometimes I like to write with other people, so I actually enjoy these things. And every time I check there´s three or four good ones with 15-20 people, and then they die because it´s not enough.

Why don´t all good players go to the single fucking one? And why does it seem to be 30 the minimum amount of players to keep a forum alive?

Hate every one of them

Does anyone have a screencap of the story of the guy who managed to instill so much drama with his forum RP that it actually destroyed the forum itself as the mods or admins or whatever started banning each other over it?

>Join a forum-based RP that supposedly has 15 active players
>Make character
>Start a thread involving drinking in a bar with open invitation for other players to RP being in the bar
>Banned by moderator for "distracting from the main adventure" and "opening an RP thread without moderator permission"
>wat
>Check forums in more detail
>Turns out the rest of the staff is all AWOL and this one mod is the only person running things
>Only two people still actually RPing

Then I continously keep playing those and it's my main contact with the hobby or roleplaying where I can FINALLY be a player, due to being Forever GM IRL, focusing on story as much as I want and reducing mechanics to minimum or just plain ignoring it, making it full-on roleplay.

Literally the best thing that ever happend to the hobby and the last thing stopping me from dropping it after being just burned out as a GM and unable to find groups I could play with.

All of my RP has been forum-based as well - as a kid my mom was fully into the anti-D&D panic (before anyone goes off on her, though, I'll point out she's always been an amazing parent and knows better now) and once I was older there was no one in the area who played. I did try to organize a Rogue Trader campaign for my parents some years back but it never got off the ground.

Have yourself a smile

I began from 40k forum games
came to Veeky Forums solely for 40k
then kind of liked the rest of content and barely even read Warhammer threads now

is there anyway to make a forum RP that ISN'T INHERENTLY shitty?

I finished first column and this sounds like a plot of anime or light-novel rather than something I saw on Forum-based RPs.

Nearly eight years back there was a forum RPG borne from /v/. They also pulled some guys from Veeky Forums into it and I think we also advertised on /co/ a couple times?
Whatever. What a disaster. The idea was that it was supposed to be a grimdark Pokemon setting where three teams are constantly at odds and it would be free from the normal stupidity that surrounds forums RPGs. Granted, we were free from the usual stupidity, but we traded that in for different flavors of stupidity.
>original forums was barely used, almost everything that happened was in some chat
>a chat I never received an invite to, so I don't know much about it
>at some point the admin got super butthurt and deleted everything, most of which was recovered and moved to a new forum
>some newfag who had joined maybe a week or two before the deletion becomes the head admin of this new forum, he was an extreme fa/tg/uy who couldn't stand up for himself
>eventually instates "story mods" who would help push a story along, though what this really meant is that you saw the same people and characters at nearly every major event
>playing out events that weren't very involved with the main conflict and general slice-of-life shenanigans was heavily discouraged, to the point that several others would continually berate you in chat and in ooc posts for "circlejerking"
But best of all was That Guy. What a card.
What a tool.
>extreme ADD, couldn't ever settle into one character, always had multiple alts on hand
>had to be involved in absolutely everything
>ego that refused to let him see himself as anything other than a Creed-level genius
>somehow wormed his way into a mod position
>ticked off everyone so much that when it came time for democracy to see whether or not to ban him, the ban option held about 80% of the vote
>so he was banned
>for a couple months until he came back, swearing he'd changed
>he hadn't
>rebanned after a month or two
>until he came back on his knees again swearing that he'd changed
>unbanned

>YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENS
>after that rebanning we don't hear from him for several months
>or so we thought
>at some point he slipped back in, but because he was such a remarkable cunt, he was figured out fairly quickly
>when people complained to the staff about it, they gave some pitiful "oh no he's too entrenched in the story we can't ban him now" excuse
And that's about the time I quit. I kept in touch with a friend who stuck it out a little longer. Here's what I heard from him:
>mods eventually instated a new rule that basically read, "rules have to be flexible, so mods and their buttbuddies get to interpret them in whatever ways they find convenient with no repercussions"
>one of the players had a water Pokemon spray a mod's character in the face as a joke. The mod got so butthurt that he got the rest of the staff on the guy's case and the offending part of the post was removed
>the admin had a loli alt that he was bored of playing, so he sent her off to the mad scientist guy so he could eat her organs or something dumb like that. She was laughing like a lunatic during the procedure until she finally died
>one character was allowed to time travel, which the player wasn't expecting. He was trying to use that as an argument over why the canon o the games shouldn't be sacred, but when they let him keep going he had to get so bombastic with screwing the timeline that they eventually had to delete the thread and write all of it off as noncanon
>some tripfag joined and several regulars hated him so much that they metagamed a plot to dispatch his character, which was expressly forbidden by the rules. But there were a couple mods in the scheming, so it was all gravy
>one of the mods was so pissed at a player that she refused to even be in the same threads as him, both in and out of character
What an adventure.

So this fucker shows up with a, you guessed it, a half-demon with a totally not normal hair color. He's a "total master of weapons" and has the requisite swords, gauntlets of three great flavors, massive scimitars, and every single one has its own "demon form" because that's how these faggots work. That's not even getting into his arsenal of firearms. He's a walking power fantasy that hates his dad (who sounds way cooler than him from what I know) and killed his brother who came back from hell and killed him again. You know he's a badass because his brother is all "*teleports behind u unsheaths katana*" while being a toocool4u and edgy guy and he lost.

His backstory is pretty much "I'm an awesome demon hunter" and that's really it and his pic is also recognizable on-sight to everyone on the fucking planet.

Easy.

1: If your pic can be found on photobucket by searching "anime" or "sonic" you're denied.

>1999
>Just got my first computer and internet connection
>By series of events I don't remember anymore wind up trying to join a Megaman RP set in a grimdark future version of the X timeline
>Application process involves writing a character sheet and letting all active players look over it and vote on approval
>Send in character submission, denied a week later because the "backstory" section was too short (two paragraphs)
>Send in second character submission with five-paragraph backstory, denied a week later because still too short
>Send in third character submission with ten-paragraph backstory, denied two days later because someone didn't like something that was in the first paragraph (which had been there since submission #1)
>Give up, find different forum, apply there with slightly modified version of submission #3
>Instantly accepted
>Begin RPing
>Receive email from admin of first forum asking why I hadn't sent a fourth submission yet
>Politely tell them I gave up applying and joined a different RP
>Get banned from second RP because the moderator I talked to was the girlfriend of the admin of the second forum and told him I hurt her feelings
>Year later, get email from second forum's admin saying he'd changed his mind and wanted me to come back
>Was busy with school and didn't have much free time available, so said no
>Goes apeshit and says he's reporting me to the FBI for CP
>Ten year old me panics and doesn't use internet again for a year

Pretty much 95% of my roleplaying experience comes from forums (aside from an epically failed attempt at GMing over Skype).

>Decide to check out this forum attached to a TES mods site
Wow, they have a roleplaying subforum at a forum dedicated to roleplaying games! Gotta check this out!
>A single old thread, something something about a new tavern in Seyda Neen
>No GM in sight, no new posts in a month, I can't breathe in without inhaling a shitton of spiderweb
>My literal drunk murderhobo PC from Morrowind comes in and reads a book, attracts two other strangers, have a comfy chat about wonderfulness of booze
>Suddenly this guy in forum games asks me "Wanna have some fun"?
>I accept
>This guy's character: necromancer in daedric with a shitton of undead bodies hidden under Balmora
What could possibly go wrong?
>I shit out an excuse for my murderhobo to pay this guy's new character to, practically, beat up a guy in Seyda Neen for him
>Necromancer comes with an army of undead
>Zombie apocalypsis ensues
>No combat rules at all, we just have stupid fun
>Two-line posts every five minutes, for two hours
>At the end of the day, the tavern was positively wrecked
>One of patrons turned into a vampire and escaped with Fargoth in arms, laughing maniacally about creating an army of super-vampires or something
>Literal Alucard, only a breton mage with crossbows, smokes in the corner after killing like a thousand of cheap zombies
>Necromancer became number one criminal on Vvardenfel
>My character shit bricks over the prospect of somebody finding out his connection to the necrowarmonger and tries to catch him before anyone else does

This grew into an year-long roleplay that I still remember fondly, even though we have broken everything. Dwemer battlemechs, ebony steamships, vampire supersoilders, flying laser-firing castles...
Then we learned better and played a few lore-friendlier games, which were less popular because half of the old team switched to generic anime fantasy.

It's like a pol origin story

I did a chatzy RP once, one of the mods was a complete dick and banned me for no reason wouldn't tell me why either

>In a forum RP based on JRPG franchise we all loved
>Loads of fun
>New guy joins
>That Guy to the core, katanas and edgy bullshit everywhere
>First post is my char suddenly getting kidnapped out of nowhere by another char's long lost father(?!)
>We all roll with it
>Guy still derails the game whenever possible
>Tl;dr we manipulate his character to eventually becoming the broken pawn of the BBEG
>That Guy drops out
>We still keep his character because it made the villain so much more enjoyable

That was such a fun game.

Who were you?

Well I know one who tried. The result was the same. Only there was more ninjas named Bob or something like this.

PbP is okay even if prone to disentegrating and getting a dedicated group is hard.

Forum RPs are heresy that must be eradicated together with those who propagate them.

>Be me
>Be twelve years ago
>Get internet and PC. First time, its magical
>Find my way to a zelda site. I dont remember how I became involved.
> They have an RP section
> RP takes place during the seven years while Link is asleep in the temple of time.
Actually pretty good. Mods arent dicks, are pretty fair, theres a ton of generated content. One guy was play a lolteleportbehindyou skullkid type.
But mostly people were pretty cool. There were about thirty regular posters, who formed a small adventurer's coalition. Eventually the war ended, the RP was over, and I know the Zelda site and the forums are still up, they nuked the RP portion. I still have sporadic contact with those guys

I keep trying to find another website like it, but the golden age has passed, and it may have been a unicorn to begin with

Misread the thread's name, sorry.

After that first roleplay, the team parted ways for some time and I decided to check out a forum that one of my new friends recommended.
Well...

>Another dead forum, only two or three players active, free-form play-what-you-want roleplay, only serious rule - NO KILLING PCS
>Last roleplay finished with ten players, have to start from scratch on a generic animu forum with the admin nowhere to be seen
>Apparently the admin's character is the God-Creator with an army of angels with paralyzing rifles in his disposal
>Thankfully he wasn't active because of college, and on the rare occasions he did show up he spent more time talking to his old friends n shit
>My comrade plays a cute Japanese culture-inspired house spirit that protects people from nightmares
>He plays with another guy that decided to play Alucard, this time with no alterations
>Alucard from my last game was a heroic softie compared to the character from Hellsing, so I didn't know what I was getting into
>And there are GM and resident Edge-Lord
>Both, judging by thread history, are relative newcomers
>Months later I noticed that the forum started to die when they came around, but too late to little
>Edge-Lord plays local Sauron-DMC4 Dante-Blood mage dude
>Worships Chaos Gods from Warhammer, has his own dark empire, master swordsman and a true gentleman
>GM plays two characters at the same time
>One is Edge-Lords chief advisor, a battlemage that can wipe whole cities and also a huge Chaos worshipper
>The other is local Devil, a half-black dragon half-demon trapped in a murderhobo that was the GMs first character
>Nothing went well

I can't even remember anymore, but it's not like I tried to hold on to that memory.

>So after my first game I had some experience at roleplaying, after some pondering make a cute mechanic femboy who aspires to make the biggest robot ever
>Decide to start playing with Alucard and Spirit first and meet up with local powerhouses later
>They have a walk in the Edge-Empire's capital, Spirit goes into houses, Alucard follows her and chats
>Decide to jump in: my character wakes up after Spirit frees him from his nightmare, sees Spirit and Alucard
>Have a nice chat about our dreams and aspirations, Spirit wants to learn why the Edge-Empire is so edgy, Alucard is actually Alucard from Hellsing stuck in this world and tries to get back
>Then in the middle of it GM's battlemage shows up, and the door goes BOOM!
Illegal immigrant scum! You are all arrested!
>Apparently GM thought that his second most powerful man in the whole Mordor should be also omniscient, so he could just barge in on people's roleplay
>Battlemage shits out an excuse to be there: apparently, Spirit is the most Light and Order thing in the whole country so he had to issue Red Code Alert because Mordor can't have nice things around
>Alucard won't let himself be arrested, jumps the battlemage
WHOOSH!
>Battlemage burns him to ashes then and there, and resurrects him after that, in a single post
>Alucard's player is reasonably mad, but decides that he kinda wants to go along, Spirit cries, my mechanic drops at his knees and tries to tell the battlemage that he ain't no immigrant scum please don't arrest me
>Battlemage "lets out a chuckle", puts shackles on us
>They are anti-magic, so Alucard and Spirit are depowered
>Thankfully, my mechanic is still okay
>Battlemage escorts us to Edge-Lord's castle, we are given a tour of it, GM writes up post after post of terrible, Ayn Rand-level descriptions of baroque decorations made from human bones and bloodied gold
>I decide to fuck shit up
>My mechanic picks the shackles' lock and sneaks away
>Battlemage didn't like that, oh no

She was sent off to the mad scientist to be fused with an Umbreon as an FMA ripoff (I think, I've never seen it)

god it's like you don't even remember all the minutiae of pd lore

Did you like Heracross a lot?

Eh, it's all right. I'm a steel kind of guy, though.

If it's Sander or Rusty I'll shit my pants

I was part of an attempt by Veeky Forums to troll a freeform, forum based rp, like two years ago. It crumbled the moment people were expected to do anything other than worldbuilding.

It's still around, your post got linked to the chat. It's basically an IRC at this point. People use it to run normal pen and paper.

Red died, if you remember him. "That guy" is still around and bends over backwards trying to apologize for being a gigantic asshole anytime someone brings it up.

Only guy from that team left is Rock.

>tfw no more knack to keep

For some time I wrote in an hentai-flavored ERP forum. It was a whole new layer of crazy mixed with hilarious.

There were both short "just wank it" threads and one big subforum dedicated to a permanent fantasy world.

The short threads lasted anything between one and fifty pages, depending on the user´s dedication to plot. Some were actually nice, all of them by the same guy who took the plot off movies like Saw and changed blood for semen. There was this guy who wrote very weird. Native, but weird. He had several accounts where he passed as female, although he didn´t fool anyone.

Now, the permanent world. It was loosely based on the Forgotten Realms. Everyone tried, very half-assedly, to make a sort of plot. But everyone wrote too much and too shitty and no one bothered to read each other´s replies, so the whole thing was a huge mess.

Then came this one edgelord who insisted on being a super evil super powerful wizard king with huge armies and shit, and he started conquering the world. It was actually welcome because he brought some plot, no matter how shitty. Some players joined him, mostly girls doing succubi.

I was a dark elf from Menzoberranzan. Fought a battle against the evil guy´s armies to defend the capital with pretty thought out tactics, but he just one upped everything I said until I conceded him the victory. He took the city, and I became a slave to a succubus. One day I forged a plan and managed to take her hostage and escape.

Then came an awkward time where a female knight insisted on pursuing me to release her while being constantly kidnapped away by another succubus to revenge rape each other.

It was horrible and mostly unfappable, but damn entertaining. I also got a few of the girls to strip on cam for me, so it wasn´t all that bad.

The open world was even more interesting than "normal" forums, because since everyone was horny there was absolutely no drama.

>Apparently, that GM was a social darwinist and transferred that into his GMing style
>Which led to "interesting" situations like PCs being teleported to the most faraway locations or losing their arm or getting a nasty burn scar on the face
>That GM thought that creating bad situations for PCs was equal to providing people with roleplaying material for unleashing their Great Dramatic Potential
>He also handled those bad situations in the worst way possible: one of his two characters would just randomly pop up and fuck your roleplay for the slightest reason ever, as long as he could find one
>He was friends with Edge-Lord so Edge-Empire was hunting grounds for battlemage, the rest of the world was for the Devil who at least had a weakness to bright light and holy water (and so only attacked at midnight, GM probably added that weakness so people wouldn't bitch about him being a Marty Stu)
>And so I played a simple, non-magic mechanic who only had a wrench and his brains against an omniscient Fire Lord with constant Sozin's Comet
>The very next post after my mechanic's escape battlemage notices it instantly, even if a minute ago he was ogling yet another painting of torturing dirty peasants and blurting out a monologue after a monologue about how important it is to keep the Edge-Empire as shitty of a butthole as it was
>My character hid in a female bathroom, battlemage appears there immediately
So you're pretty clever if you could break that lock without detonating the bomb inside, huh?
>He never mentioned the bomb at first
I think our glorious Empire will do great without the likes of you. But I can't just murder citizens left and right...
Oh! I have a most pleasant idea!
>He shackles me, AGAIN, but this time melts the shackles so they are truly unbreakable, and also describes how much pain my mechanic feels
>Then he takes all three of his "guests" to a gray, featureless room with three beds with leather straps

>Our characters are now not only shackled, but also strapped to these beds, and my mechanic got his arm horrifically burned
>Then the battlemage turns around and shouts
Bring the lobotomy set, please!
>I didn't even know what 'lobotomy' WAS back then, but Alucard's player was apparently well-versed with edge and caught on what was going on
>Alucard immediately goes wild again, overwhelms the shackles and chomps on the battlemage
>Well that didn't help matters, GM OOCly tells him about how that battlemage was his Most Favourite Character Ever and How Dramatic his backstory about being raped by his fat catholic aunt was, and all of that went to the toilet because of Alucard
>Seems like our social darwinist didn't add any healing abilities to his Mengele FireLord's set, and so Alucard has just killed the battlemage!
>But wait, turns out the battlemage was the only thing that prevented the Devil from entering the Edge-Empire!
>So the very next post the Devil appears, turns into a demon-dragon and eats Alucard whole
>Alucard's player, pretty pissed about his comfy chat with a boy spirit being ruined, decides to unleash the edge
>Demon-dragon suddenly gets eaten from inside by Alucard in dog-mode
>BUT WAIT!
>Suddenly Alucard gets eaten from inside by demon-dragon!
>The cycle repeats two more times, both sides are extremely pissed and tell each other what they'd do to each other if they met IRL OOCly
>And then Edge-Lord appears, one-punches both Alucard and Devil and booms from his ominous black plate of doom:
HOW DARE YOU ENTER MY DUNGEON, YOU DEVIL!
>Another stupid cycling fight ensues
>Alucard decides "fuck it", unstraps and unshackles our characters, then teleports with them to the game's happy-happy Japania Kingdom (which had 0 PCs then, because everyone there was fucked over by the Devil)
>We each quickly write up a post about how our characters settle down in Japania and run away before Edge-Lord and GM finish duking it out

Fake as fuck

>Spirit's player apologises for not being thorough the forum's post history, Alucard gives us his contacts and leaves searching for some other place where he'll be able to roleplay his favourite character in peace
>A week later GM sends me an e-mail about how I should return and how my character is ideal for his plans for the game, sufficiently traumatized by the experience to be just the Dramatic Hero his Devil needs yadda yadda yadda
>I clear my account data, set a filter so GM's letters go straight to trash and e-mail the admin about the importance of certain restrictions
>One week later trash has ten more letters
>Two weeks later admin asks me to GM, I ask him if I can change the rules, the guy was a libertanian and took the ABSURD freedom he gave people as his forum's main feature, so stuff didn't work out
>A month later forum is closed indefinitely

In hindsight, should've seen it coming.
It was only a year or so ago that I learned what "munchkin" and "metagame" are, and even longer for me to reach Veeky Forums.
And so I return to lurking.

Which homo are you?

>run forum rp with group of old friends
>im dm, about 5 players
>going well but can't keep up with all the posting
>falls apart
>2 years later
>try it all again
>fail the same way

why do I even try to do things

He said he doesn't remember.

You sound really butthurt, captain.

That's honestly just Rocko being himself.

Is homo all it takes to pass for angry on Veeky Forums now? That was basically a friendly hello back in the day.

Forum RPs are better than tabletop, OP. More options and tools, less chance of people ruining the mod with shitty jokes, can be done in the comfort of my own home, and I don't have to personally associate with neckbeards. Oh, and not feeling obligated to give money to the cesspits that are LGSs owns.

The only problems Ive ever encountered was the gm dissapearing and the game dying and people not realizing what setting theyare writing a character for, Ie people writing magicians and characters for superpowers for a cyberpunk setting

what the fuck

Fucking never touch The Gungan Councle. It's such absolute trash...

Actually yeah.

>Be time displaced Roman legionnaire in 1500s Europe with teleportation powers
>Some barbaric Landsknecht is running around asking about his friend, not really sticking to the plot line I'm trying to create
>Kill him once he gets to an inn.

It gets worse.
>same guy creates some whop mercenary who can speak Latin, trying to get goodie points thinking he can try to reason with me
>murder him at a church for metagaming
the GM was cool with it, I broke the "church sanctuary" rule, but honestly I fucking hate this guy

Huh, I have been in other Nationstates-based spinoffs and this always happens in the late game or once you reach the tech to communicate with other nations, the mods always end up like massive super powers who allow themselves to do whatever while putting as many restrictions as they can to others, and this always kills the game or turns it into a dying husk with just a small group of mod-controlled superpowers who can't go to war because they would just destroy each other... pretty interesting to know this happens in other places...

Battle Network seems like an interesting premise to run an RP on, I've always liked the series. What kind of characters did you run?

To be fair that was a one-off event and those moderators never got their positions back. NSEurope has been largely stable ever since, though I stopped RPing there years ago.

Ok

I only had one pair of characters, (although as GM for a short while I did design a few enemies).

Looking back it was quite cringeworthy but here:

Siegfried, the operator, had some sort of ambiguous connection to the WWW that I never really explored or drawn attention to. Was pretty self insert-ish, low wis high int kinda guy (not that we used stats for the operators). Worked as IT help-desk. Rather "worked". He was lazy, but intelligent and curious. Had some snark at people dumber than him. Which involved his navi.

Valkyrie.exe was an experimental navi Siegfried tried to create as a "light" element, an opposite of dark navis, as a side project. Instead, she just came out relatively normal after spending a few days debugging herself when Sieg misplaced the PET and couldn't find it for a while. Wears bronze armor and a helmet with stylized wing motif over the black navi-bodysuit. Had enormous explosive strength (literally, she could "explode" with energy) that she couldn't really control, which is why her armor had what were essentially jet-pack funnels and her lance-buster was constructed to take advantage of this as well. Mechanically, I built her around sacrificing HP to get charges she could use to power her attacks to do mucho single-target damage, with some utility on the side.

She was aggressive and straightforward. Enjoyed fighting and considered it her primary goal in existence. I had some fun contrasting this rather masculine behavior with her female status at times.

I started RPing with forum games...

Boy, do I have experience with it...

Don't leave us hanging, then!

Am I the only player here with good forum rp? I play only on GiantITP, though.

Joined one of those fucking Vampires Living together in Vampire Highschool type things on a forum when I was a kid, but I joined as a human vampire hunter who for some reason was really hard to hurt and hunted them with a silver baseball bat. I don't know exactly why they let me stick around, but my guess is they liked it when I would occasionally firebomb their vampire classes so they could have cool "back from the dead" stories. Not that I was much better. Somebody infected me with lycanthropy and I went through a mopey "WHHOOO AAAMMM IIIIIII?!?" phase until I learned that I could be cured by killing the archwerewolf, so I cudgeled him to death with the bat, had an awkward sexual tension moment with his main bitch of the pack, then drove past the school and chucked some throwing knives into thr cafeteria window while some of the vampires were arguing about who had the most tormented childhood or something.

That actually sounds hilarious.

@work right now and I am not looking forward to be promoted just yet.

I'll storytime as soon as I get home

psst
that forum uses Discord instead of the horrible java-based chat now
pop your head in once in a while, Knight

That works, take your time.

It's always fucking slow and GMs take months to reply.

I love MMBN

Gibe link

>be me
>be 13 years old
>I was a little nerdling playing vidya back then
>suddently, find an online forum where people talk about vidya
>I find a section where people make up stories
>one of the threads advertises one person who wants to GM a freeform standard fantasy game for some of the forum-goers
>join, because I like stories and I am curious to as to what this means
>make standard edgelord
>pic very related
>I don't roleplay much
>don't know a lot of things or about how to write good
>eventually I lose interest and drop it
>people in the game were very clique-y and gave people they didn't know the cold shoulder, so I didn't feel like I belonged
>I left

>3 years later
>I'm playing LoL with some fellow neckbeards
>some start talking about their play-by-post RP
>intrigued.jpg
>join the game, which is online for everyone
>freeform, standard fantasy medieval again
>there
>are
>kender
>nuff said
>as luck would have it, tough, people generally play angel/demon mary sues. Also werewolves or Vampires.
>they keep dragons as companions or, as some others call it, pets
>I am a bit grown up
>less edge on my character this time
>try to roleplay with the characters that are not mary sues
>I keep out of factions because of OoC drama that I hear about
>People bitch about this and about that
>I don't see the problem to be honest
>another thing that happens is that, whatever you do doesn't stick
>the bad guys want to destroy the place of the good guys?
>they get to destroy a building partially
>if they are lucky
>in the next few days the building is back up and running like it was before
>also, death had no real consequence. If you died, then you were dead for 3 days and then someone rezzed you just like that
>I didn't know it back then, but because of how long it took to play the game and it still went nowhere, I dropped it
>I left