A-abaddon, g-give us Chaos bux plz!

>A-abaddon, g-give us Chaos bux plz!
What did they mean by this?

Really want to play one of these in Black Crusade desu

Why would you play as this faction?

Why would you play a sister repetia, or chapter on penal crusade?

Underdog appeal.

In-universe, you don't get to choose. Better pull your own weight, sonny.

In-game, it's a story of redemption. Get your dudes to mend their past errors with victory, and the Gods will give them salvation and glory.

>sister repentia

That's a unit, not an army.

>chapter on penal crusade

Different situation. The Chapter is still part of the Imperium. It has a purpose and a larger goal. It doesn't have to look like a homeless loser.

The Oath-Broken are Chaos Space Marines that got sacked for being shit. They look beaten up. They're Hobo-Marines. Sad hobos, not crazy ones. Their own fluff blurb basically says that they are too irrelevant to die.

What's the draw besides modelling stuff onto them? Fuck, if you just want to model xenos bits onto Chaos Marines, you couldn't probably think of a better colour scheme and backstory yourself.

It seems like the blandest possible execution of this idea.

CSM are hobos.

These guys are the hobos that the other hobos gang up on.

I'm surprised the weak don't get cannibalised by others for the materials of their equipment

parts of power armors don't grow on trees after all

He somehow looks super sad.

>CSM are hobos.
I've always hated this. They should have the shiniest toys. Too bad chosen are shit.

Also does it bother anyone else that the Dark mechanics doesn't do anything in 40k? Finally released from their shackles the run into the eye and create nothing?

You'd be sad too if you turned your back on the Emperor for the Chaos Gods, then had the Chaos Gods abandon you.

Just because they failed Abbadon doesn't mean they're weak. With all the bullshit flying around in the 41st Millenium, even a powerful Black Legion Lord can get undercut by Necron tech fuckery, Eldar JUSAZPLANND, Nid/Ork weight of numbers, or another Lord who happens to be slightly more interesting to the Gods right now.

Bad luck is still a thing, but Abaddon doesn't give a shit. He still needs to make a statement; nice people don't tend to last long in the top job.

Poor guy. He goes and fights for the Ruinous Powers, Old Abby decided that he didn't like him so he stops paying him, then the gods that he thought would help him abandon him. He just wants to end the Imperium and the Corpse Emperor. Is there something wrong with that? Yes, but this guy found out what happens when you realize the price of betrayal.

>They should have the shiniest toys.
Among only the few select elite of the Lord. Chaos Warbands are far closer in organization to that of an organized crime ring than a "modern" military.

>tfw you've become the trash mob of the Eye

The Hereteks probably don't have access to materials or facilities in the eye. A lot of them probably live in fear of roving warbands so they hide. Lot of them probably blow themselves up.

Yes to a degree but it depends on what sort of CSM you're talking about. The legions themselves should have almost unlimited resources and manpower. They ones that stuck together anyway. Even with the warring lords were still talking about groups far larger then any codex compliant chapter that have raved and slaughtered for 10,000 years.

>The Hereteks probably don't have access to materials or facilities in the eye.
I dont see how that would be a problem didn't like half the Mechanicus fall?

>A lot of them probably live in fear of roving warbands so they hide.
They should be maintaining bonds with powerful lords to trade for materials and protection if they can't get it themselves. Using this to create experimental monstrosities to be unleashed and tested on the weak.

Dude they got kicked off the forgeworlds, cut off from their previous sources and the eye is a colossal shit hole. Doesn't matter how many of them left it's not like they can just pick up the volcano forges of Mars and take them with them.

Is this Veeky Forumss new favorite Chaos army now?

No, the Sons of Malice are the best. They go out and kill Chaos because Malice is the lord of Contradiction and Chaos itself. Daemons of Malice are simply captured and tortured Daemons of the other gods.

These guys are second favorite.

>cut off from their previous sources
>the eye is a colossal shit hole.
The eye not that that bad unless you're weak. And with there being 'more' CSM' then SM they have to be large enough to supply them with equipment and materials. Scavenging and stealing can support the smaller war bands but old more establish ones shouldn't need to do this.

Several legion homewards in the eye are described as having new civilisations from the number of slaves that have been brought there. Trades for deals and alliances must be common. I think the DM helped the IW with some of there crazy shit.

>the volcano forges of Mars and take them with them.
But Mars is its own kind of special. Creating a forge world isn't that difficult.

My problems with the Sons of Malice is their incredibly retarded and grimderp rituals where they end up losing more marines than gaining

iirc, it's implied in their fluff that their rituals both didn't and did happen.

So what happened never happened, even if what never happened did happen. Thereby fueling the Lord of Contradiction.

>Serving Abaddon the fucking failure
>Ever

>The Eye
>Not that bad

Wut? Did they retcon it or something, cause is shit hole last I checked.

What's with the bandages? What possible use could they have, especially on the outside of the armor?

Mate look at their fluff. That's obviously poorfag duct tape holding his armor together.

Clearly he hasn't time to doff the armor and get proper care, and since his equipment is shit he has no better choice than to stuff the hole in his armor and the wound with gauze and them wrapp around it with bandages to hold it in in a desperate attempt to stem bleeding. Why can't he doff the armor you ask? Cause the minute it comes off some khornate pops out of the woodwork and smashes him. Or a scion of slaanesh pops out of the woodwork and Smashes him. Either way, armor stays on.

But yeah no its bullshit and the artist really should have thought that through better.

If you can't fight off the friendly neighbourhood demons then yeah you're shit out of luck. If you can however claim a planet in the Eye and then supply it things are just fine.

Pay your taxes to the Gods and don't be a pussy. Thats pretty much it.

Traitor logic.

I feel like this is just your head cannon because you love them and don't wanna admit they are faggots who live in a shit heap, kill each other for scraps, and only get by from stealing from others who didn't make shit life choices.

Its chaos, the armor plate could easily be fused with his leg so it isnt just bandages on his armor but bandages on his leg or its duct tape holding shit together and covering a wound/hole.

>When the Thousand Sons first arrived on the planet, they found it unpopulated. Over thousands of years of raiding, they have acquired a multitude of minions. This has created a servant underclass, some of which have escaped their masters into the hostile land. These escaped servants then often join the nominally independent nomadic warbands upon the Planet of the Sorcerers, warbands led by both Champions from the Thousand Sons or powerful mortals risen from the ranks of the escaped servants. Often, these mortal champions arising among the warbands are then recruited back to serve the Thousand Sons. Individuals with psychic powers are much sought after for the Thousand Sons to act as servants, becoming known as Thrall Wizards, psykers bound to the service of particular Sorcerers. Also notable is the amount of Beastmen arisen upon the planet, a subordinate population group that developed over thousands of years. While some of these mutants - specifically referred to as Tzaangors - enter various warbands, most remain wild. Little is said of flora or fauna, apart from the presence of Chaos Hounds amongst some war bands.

>Maugan Ra journeyed into the Eye of Terror and discovered that his Craftworld and its people had survived, even in the perilous domain of the Chaos Gods, and subsequently freed it from the Eye of Terror. He would later marshal the remains of his home to support the combined Eldar effort against the forces of Chaos. Despite the survival of Altansar, there was no celebration for the return of the long-lost Craftworld for its shadowy and curious ten-thousand year survival within the Eye of Terror was regarded with great suspicion and hostility by the majority of the Eldar race.

Yes these are from lexicanum but I cant be fucked going and looking through the old lost and damned to find the sources. There are civilisation in the Eye that survive just fine. More mutants and crazies of course but for the CSM that just a tuesday.

>You will never let the sad chaos marine stay at your place
>You will never improve his life
>He will die alone and miserable on a forgotten battlefield fighting for masters that despise him

As befits traitorous filth.

>Still serving the False-Emperor
Get a load of this guy.

Obviously they are actually made of plasteel.

Dude, the Eye is a terrible, terrible place for a sane person, but there are small islands where it is less crazy that a society can be reasonably stable (if corrupted by Chaos). These are the places where you'll find Dark Mechanicus Forge Worlds, Legion strongholds, and fallen Eldar Crone Worlds that are surrounded by the absolute madness of an ever-constant Warp Storm.

Again, it's pretty horrible if you're not a servant of Chaos, and you'll get swarmed by all sorts of Daemons usually, but that doesn't mean that every planet is absolute mind-shattering insanity 100% of the time. It's corrupted realspace, not the actual Warp itself.

in my headcannon the eye of terror is still mostly stable space, just that there is the constant threat of attack from the servants of chaos, and at any time the warp could burp up some daemons and fuck up your day.

If it was actually as bad as being in the warp, nobody would go there, not even the chaos marines. If the Chaos Gods have shown one thing about them, it is that they love screwing over their most faithful followers.

>what is an underdog

I guess these guys are more hardcore than regular CSMs? They must be desperate to redeem themselves in the eyes of chaos lords.

>parts of power armors don't grow on trees after all

You never heard of Eye of Terror?
Exacly that happend in my first Roug Trader campain I played.

There are entire planets and systems that live happy life(well happy for them not for us) in Eye.
That was canon for a long long time ago.

There are lots of CSM hobos, but there are just as many stong and prosperous bands.

>The legions themselves should have almost unlimited resources and manpower. They ones that stuck together anyway.

That might be true of warbands like the Iron Warriors who still act sort of like a legion, but It's not like most of the other legions are particularly organised outside of a black crusade

>That might be true of warbands like the Iron Warriors
Emperors Children and the World Eaters split up. Who else did?

All but the Black Legion, Word bearers and maybe the Alpha Legion

Iron Warriors, Word Bearers and the Thousand Sons still operate as a legion. Thats not to say theres not large war-bands that have split off or there's no fights for power. But it's nothing like the EC or WE. I think the Night Lords are split up too.

However Alpha Legion and Death Guard I'm not sure about personally.

The Night Lords, the Alpha Legion (just as planned; their entire combat style and command structure was built to be decentralized, so if the Legion is working towards any kind of single cohesive plan, it'd be impossible to tell, and even if they weren't, they're still conducting their covert activities and special-ops with near-impunity), I think the Thousand Sons, and if I'm not mistaken the Death Guard.

'Individual warbands doing their own thing' is CSM standard, and the ones that stick together in large numbers are actually noteworthy outliers rather than the norm. Part of it is because the old Traitor Legions (and to a similar extent, renegade Chapters from the modern Imperium) take this kind of decentralization as what is arguably a strategic and tactical benefit.

The Imperium might be great at knocking down single big enemy groups, but they're way worse at Whack-A-Mole.

>What's with the bandages? What possible use could they have, especially on the outside of the armor?

They're Sonic Boom Space Marines.

I don't think the thousand sons have done anything as a legion since they attacked the space wolves, and the death guard are more of the same, Morty lets Typhus and the other captains do whatever they want

>Thats not to say theres not large war-bands that have split off
Then they're not a legion. They're distinct warbands that are fighting together, temporarily. All of them.

>I don't think the thousand sons have done anything as a legion
We know that both Ahriman and Magnus recruit and train new marines. And that the Planet of sorcerers is a important planets in the warp for the TS see Just like in the Great Crusade in with the expedition fleets.

Exactly, except the Expedition Fleets had way less autonomy, and individual commanders gave more fucks about what their subordinate officers were doing with their troops.

Nowadays, it's more like de-facto feudal vassalage. Subordinate warlord kowtows to a bigger one, but still basically does his shit.

I always wondered why Chaos have longer backpacks.

Expended venting, but why? do they have more power in their packs because they can't store it in the armour?

Superior mobility in space.

There are forge worlds in the Eye. The Iron Warriors have one and employ Dark Mechanicus people.

X A N A
A
N
A

Thing is fuckboi, chaos isnt exactly the thinking mans friend.

Either the techs go crazy or their crazy partners kill them before the can do anything. Then theres the lack of funding, materials mostly have to be picked out by your own hands(which are most likely demon infested beaten old garbage) and that you are a valuable commodity to enslave by the CSM (who most certinally dont want their shitty slaves inventing anything that would make them better than them.)

Theres a reason its called CHAOS user.

Wut?
+
>Bandage on armour

>The eye not that that bad unless you're weak.
Yeah but thats like the very few csm, not the book worm with a robot arm who havent ever gotten his own research material before.

If you are not special, you arent gonna have a good time in the warp.

I guess it's a mix of not really having the means to take it off and the armor starting to demonically infuse with it's wearer.

>probably scavenging whatever they can
>having to dig they shit themselves since there aren't thousands of worlds sending their resources to them
>some cocky warlord might come every now and then demanding to surrender and give your shit
>expending your shit to fend them off
>one of the experiments broke loose and is leading an uprising against you
>some loyalist patrol found you by chance
>some loyalist mechanicus assholes come to kill you for rebelling and steal what they can from your research
>the voices won't stop shouting..... EVER
>there are a lot of planets with resources but you lack the equipment to do it fast before some other asshole come to claim it
>the idiot astartes you sold shit got wrecked by some other warband and revealed your hiding place
>somehow fend them off but they stole most off your shit and either captured or killed most of your research team
>FUCK THIS GAY EYE OF TERROR BULLSHIT
>move to warp storm devasted system far from this astartes assholes
>being isolated from every conflict and shit
>setting anti daemon barriers and capturing those who know too much
>forgetting about this gay galaxy, eye of terror and conflicts
>working on a daemon shackling device and finally have some results
>daemon powered automatas and all the cool stuff
>grey knights show up
>we get purged to the last
>magos become daemon Prince
>got tesseracted
>fleet devasted
>being purged to the last
>a life work destroyed and be forgotten forever
>dead and consciousness disappears in the warp because you aren't a psyker
Happy end

And thats why you can't have nice things.

>built the Black Legion into a force rivaling the traitor legions at their peak from literally nothing using sheer willpower
>has been rustling imperial jimmies constantly for 10,000 years

what about that screams failure to you?

>They ones that stuck together anyway.
None of them stuck together.

They're all fighting each other like dipshits.

Chaos, not even once.

Chaos guy end up with flesh growing on/through their armor sometimes.

The hellbrute model is probably the best example.

>user's adventure I'm the eye
>slaneesh planet Fh'uc'kal
>user died here chocking a thousand dicks for trying to be hard core.

>chaos isnt exactly the thinking mans friend

Say that to my faces not online and see what happens you cunt-discharge.

Thinking MAN.
Space marines and the 2% gifted individuals who gets big birds protection arent what I'd call the common man, not even for the smart ones.

The eye of terror is basically an apocalyptic scenario, only the select few have it good, the rest are slaves to those select few or shithole raiders eating other people to survive.

>fuck off magnus, blowing up your army was my plan all along, don't kill the guy who did it for me

>doesn't know of the legion wars in the eye
>probably haven't read anything beyond codex csm
>implying the eye isn't full of backstabbing assholes
>implying Abbadon isn't the only exception because the god will it
>implying your greatest feats of debauchery and loyalty can't pass unnoticed by the gods
Chaos spawn/10 would not dark crusade with

Even the iron warriors are broken with the grand companies working as they pleased, you obviously don't know how a dark crusade is mustered, you have to literally steal Astartes from other warbands.

Dark Mechanicus were expanded upon in Black Crusade, which also stated that Chaos Space Marines get tools that loyalist Marines don't(purified plasma for one thing; plasma that doesn't cause overheating in imperial plasma tech). The big thing loyalist Marines get is organisation, they know(unless they're doing things the Imperium *really* don't approve of) that there'll be goods and services for them irregardless where they go in the Imperium, whereas Chaos Space Marines need to cajole, barter, threaten or enslave whatever people they need for whatever thing they need; there's no unified Mechanicus in the Eye for example, it's mostly Magi pursuing their own little things and wheeling and dealing with trusted warbands/legions whenever they need resources.

where do you think defilers, soul grinders, plague drones, and all their bizarre hybrids come from? It's explicitly stated that heretic priests are responsible for all this stuff, on top of regular maintenance and also getting daemonic possession to take hold in regular vehicles like rhinos and land raiders. They actually keep pretty busy

So you can make cool conversions without going full Nurgle.

he doesn't have arms and never did anything worthwhile.

You walk into your living room and see this cake on the table.

What slice do you eat?

I take the centre piece.

I smash the cake with my fist and keep doing it until nothing is left.

Then I eat the remains of my enemy to gain their memories.

I ain't touchin that cake, user.

Yes.

It is delicious cake, you must eat it.

Possessed and Obliterators/Mutilators are also obvious ones, in their case with the effects visible upon their original bodies/suits since they're not cripples in coffinbots.

>plasma that doesn't cause overheating
gaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy

A true chosen of chaos walks among us

FFG is no longer canon and has always been of questionable canonicity.

>I'm going to launch raids on a handful of Imperium Worlds out of the Countless worlds they control
>Then I'm going to run away before the Imperium's actual military comes to shove the Emperor's holy Flashlight up my ass.
>Instead of doing this continuously in a way that would cripple the Imperium, I'm just going to going to wait roughly a thousand or so years and give them time to recover before doing it again

Fucking Brilliant Crusades there. There may have been a shit ton of failing Crusades IRL, but at least they had an actual goal in mind.

Gw just cant into archetypes

Concepts that exit for the chaos archtype are handicapped because everyone wants to be the good guys.

>Oh man red berserker blood god legion is so cool, but I don't want to be a bad guy.... and then the blood angels were born.

>hmm legion of spacemarines that suffer from mutations and become mini demons would be neat, but I don't want to be a bad guy..... and then the wolfen were born.

>the imperium of man is set back by stagnation, because of the iron men and the dark age of technology technological advancement takes centuries due to bureaucracy, the dark mechanicum wont be bound by this archtype, they mingle with all the forbidden practices... hey guys check out my new gravguns, centurions, storm ravens, and 17 land raider variants!

Something like this could prove pretty interesting to actually play if done right

>>the imperium of man is set back by stagnation, because of the iron men and the dark age of technology technological advancement takes centuries due to bureaucracy, the dark mechanicum wont be bound by this archtype, they mingle with all the forbidden practices... hey guys check out my new gravguns, centurions, storm ravens, and 17 land raider variants!
So much this. The Dark Mechanicum STILL hasn't figured out how to mount a heavy bolter on a Rhino. In fact, the only things I can think of that the DM has invented since the Heresy are the 3 flavors of demon dinobots, Helblade and Heltalon flyers, and the Defiler. Can anybody think of anything else?

You're arguing with a brick wall, m8. He's been doing this song and dance on Veeky Forums for years.

That's a spectacularly warped rendition of what happened. All of Abaddon's crusades were launched with specific objectives in mind, usually to gather weapons, artifacts, and knowledge to increase his own power and standing. All of them, to my knowledge, accomplished their goals. The reason why Abaddon isn't constantly besieging the Cadian Gate is because it takes time for him to learn what his next goal should be, and the difficulty of battering the fractious Chaos warbands that populate the Eye into some kind of order. The Black Crusades aren't failed attempts at destroying the Imperium, but smokescreens used to burn and pillage while he's off doing what he wants to do.

Oh, I'm not arguing that Abby never completed his goals, I'm just saying that his goals are fucking stupid. If he had pulled raids like the crusades on a semi regular basis against the Imperium, he wouldn't have needed maguffins like the Blackstone Fortress Deathstars. Really, for something called a "Black Crusade" to just mean "I'm going to pull a raid against a defenseless sector, complete some minor goal, then fuck off back to my hidey-hole in the eye of Terror" is really fucking underwhelming.

>Join chaos they said
>Conquer the galaxy they said
>Stitching a Termagaunt's claw into your stumps wouldn't hurt, they said
>I'd rather be possessed

Not him, but that's not ENTIRELY correct.

The Word Bearers are far and away the most centrally organized Legion, with every one of them answering, in some manner, to Erebus and Kor Phaeron directly. While some Word Bearers splinter off and may operate in unconventional ways, all Word Bearers are still subject to the absolute rule of the Dark Council and their judgements, and should they somehow fail the Council they are ruthlessly eradicated to preserve the honor of the Legion.

In addition, they're one of the few Legions that truly respect rank as a concept, and there are occassions where individuals who ascend to higher ranks can do so on merit rather than by backstabbing and plotting (though that absolutely still happens). Everybody has a place in the Legion, and their incredible faith is the cement that holds them in their doctrine. The word of the Dark Council is the word of Chaos, and to defy them is heresy (of heresy). It is not tolerated in the slightest.

The second most organized is Black Legion, but they rely a lot more on "subject-allies" that come when called rather than being directly under the authority of the Warmaster. The Astartes core of the Legion, however, is quite elite and structured.

It is still canon unless something else supercedes it.

Furthermore, there is nothing to replace it.

In reality, literally everything that happens in FFG is entirely probable in the 40K universe, especially on the Fringe elements where the setting takes place.

Is it bad that I feel edgy because my fluff to my Chaos warband because they want to redeem themselves in the eyes of the Emperor, even after they've betrayed him.

i would eat it all and await the gifts of the gods

Here's a Chaos-y spin on it, user.

Your Warband always fights and acts in the Imperium's best interests, or at least they try whenever possible.

Of course, this is merely what they believe, as Tzeench finds it amusing to have them see a distorted reality. Those Chaos cultists they fought off with their allied Imperial Guardsmen? They were the Imperial Guard, and their guardsmen were merely masses of Cultists. Of course, they can't see the difference, to them they were really helping. And it's sad that none but the Warband's Warlord know, but he can't tell. No one believes him when he does, so naturally, he keeps the secret until he goes mad, and when he goes mad, someone else becomes top dog, and privy to the secret.

Are they like Ahriman who thinks little of the Imperium but can respect the Emperor?
>"And what are the achievements of your fragile Imperium? It is a corpse rotting slowly from within while maggots writhe in its belly. It was built with the toil of heroes and giants, and now it is inhabited by frightened weaklings to whom the glories of those times are half-forgotten legends. I have forgotten nothing, and my wisdom has expanded far beyond mere mortal frailties."