Arms and Armour Thread

Arms and Armour thread for all Veeky Forums related arms and armour needs!

Personally I am in desperate need of gambesons and other "cheap" armours. Another interest in arms and armours of ancient era.

>>/k/

Fucking good, high quality post dude! You really contributed to this board with that one.

Does anyone have frogmouth bascinets aka the historical inspiration for visored barbutes?

Sadly I do not have. My own folder is diverse, but doesn't include those sadly.

I've only got the one image myself, and it's of a modern reproduction of mediocre quality.

That helmet looks pretty nice. It looks very utilitarian.

>mfw the metal cowboy hats for my "green apocalypse" novel actually has historic precedent

QUACK

What would you call this? A close-barbute? I've been looking for reference images for these for a paladin character.

Frog-mouth bascinet is what I search for. There are probably other words for it. It's mainly a late 14th century Italian thing.

I don't know if I'd count a bascinet the same as a barbute with a visor.

If it's got a visor, it's not a barbute.

Here's another visored bascinet (from armourer Piotr Feret)

"you're a real aussie now boy"

>Personally I am in desperate need of gambesons and other "cheap" armours.
how cheap are we talking about?

you can't get any more cheaper than wood armour

Still reading the last A&A thread.

It just keeps going...

Also, swords are overdone, let's see some axes (apologies for pic, only one I had).

Yeah those are perfect. Gambesons and other gear used by levies and other rabble. Stuff that militias would use.

OwO
What's that?

It shows how manly bastard you are, better than rest with biggest cock of the country!

A codpiece.

You start out with people running around not in pants, but in hosen. The legs of the hosen leave a gap in the middle, so you put a bit of fabric there as well since your underpants probably aren't up to fashion standards.

With time, that bit got a bit mroe elaborate, and eventually fashion suggested some rather substantial pieces.

Now as men's fashion in fabric and steel were often tightly linked, these things ended up as part of armour too. Not terribly common though, fancier armour often being meant for people who remained on horseback as much as possible, where an armoured crotch wouldn't just be meaningless (there's a warhorse in the way) but also outright detrimental (decreased contact with the saddle means you won't ride as well, and that before we consider the assorted metal bits being pushed into your enters as you ride around).

And it was a pretty short lived fashion anyway.

That was a great response KM but please don't feed the copypasta posters in future.

At such serving sizes it'd be more job trying to keep proper track of them, so I'm not terribly inclined to bother. If getting an honest answer out of a question is some kind of great "lolitrollyou" moment for someone, well, that's his problem.

Tangentially related question, what's a good place to read about Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc, whatever)?

The details of what she got up to instead of the broader stuff.

Would a mace head shaped like a regular tetrahedron be comparable to a flanged one of equal mass, at least for the purpose of suspension of disbelief in a relatively serious fantasy setting?

Seems like it'd far less consistent in its impact performance, and may have an unfortunate tendency of wanting to twist in the hand in some cases if a corner impacts while it isn't in line with the shaft.

On the other hand, it isn't like it can't do horrendous damage to someone. Far form everythign back in the day was all that heavily optimised, at least as far as things appear to us in our armchairs.

>And it was a pretty short lived fashion anyway.
and yet it was still lived more than some of the "fashions" of nowdays

>tfw trying to get a good brigandine that won't break the bank and take 3 years to ship and fucking kultofathena's have a massive gaping space where plates don't cover RIGHT up the middle

Fucking kill me

that's a coat of plates user.
This is a brigandine

I always like that picture

I'm going full Lindybeige here for better or for worse, but why were Great Helms so commonly used in the High Middle Ages when the flat top makes you so vulnerable to overhead strikes? Especially considering the technology to make round helmets was already around for a pretty long time (the most recent example being the Norman helmet)?

They're easier to make. Maybe it was fashionable. It just didn't occur to anyone for a shockingly long time. People didn't really care because they preferred how it looked/felt.

You wear another helmet underneath it

>Gee Jean-Pierre, how comes mum lets you have THREE crossbows?

You're not going to get struck overhead much on a horse running down infantry. Also, cheaper to make.

Apparently those are fakes that didn't exist in history. Barbutes didn't have visors

I know, but the visors that got put on them are from Italian bascinets. They look pretty much the same, just without the nasal or cheek protection with the visor up.

The flat top is weak to strikes, but the edge is strong. I doubt you're going to get bonked directly on top all that often, and the flat top is cheaper to mass produce.

Klappvisors look the best though

How does someone even get to be so wrong?

By being right

...And?

They are called "Iron hats", which is a literal english translation both name and design of the earlier chapeau de fer.

>Gambesons and other gear used by levies and other rabble. Stuff that militias would use.

People of all strata used gambesons. And it really depends on your time and culture. is literally city militia armour that can be adjusted to fit by the wearer.

Who repro'd this beauty? Not enough "common" harnesses.

You're also on a horse, and have a helmet (literally, small helm) under it

Depending on what your using it for, you can make a decent piece by hand with nothing but some tin-snips, a thin sheet of steel, and some brass roofing nails.