Veeky Forums tell me about the tankers if the Imperial Guard. Their experiences and their stories...

Veeky Forums tell me about the tankers if the Imperial Guard. Their experiences and their stories. What is it like to be an Imperial tanker?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wVfxxcam0nY
youtube.com/watch?v=P-DB0z87su0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It fucking sucks. You aren't even allowed to know how to repair your own vehicle, so if it gets damaged you're fucked if there isn't a tech-priest nearby.

technically, you can learn how to, but admech frown upon such practices.

Depends on what sect of the Machine Cult you're dealing with.

See the first gray area.

WHAT??? YOU NEED TO SPEAK UP!!!! I DRIVE A TANK IN THE EMPEROR'S GUARD!!!

read Gunheads. It follows a tank commander as a guard armoured unit battles its way across an ork held planet.

Cadians are well-disciplined crews with solid equipment and maintenance practices. You learn your job, and you do that job over and over and over again until you become the best fucking gunner/loader/commander you can possibly be before you get promoted.

Vostroyans have large numbers of highly-sophisticated tanks that are often centuries old. Crewing them is a position of honor, in being trusted with such and incredibly storied and long-lived machine.

Catachans are apparently extremely reckless and have a habit of getting too close - but they sure do cause a shitload of damage to the enemy.

It's like being a German tanker on the eastern front but much much worse.

Best job in the galaxy. Feeling the weight of your tank crush heretics below your treads, the rush of power as your cannon fells a swathe of enemy soldiers or punches holes through their armour. The joy of racking the slide on the pintle mounted stubber before unleasing a hail of rounds.

I have a near full tank army and damn is it fun to play. Gunheads as mentioned before is a good read, baneblade is pretty good too.

OP here user and same I'm going full tank company soon when I get the money. Pics plz.

>Best job I ever had.

Would you include the first Macharius novel too? That had some pretty good armor clashes in it and showed how a crew lives(well a Baneblade crew).

Here's a mixed army, ill take a pic of all my tanks when i get home

>Yellow paint scheme on tanks
Are those Lemon Russ battle tanks user?
But all jokes aside they look very good I'm more into a grey paint scheme with my army apparently with a lack of blue paint too.

Fun until anything competent comes against you. Pretty much anything that isn't a starving, feudal world child-soldier has some horrifying way of dismantling a guard tank.
You're still a piece of meat for the grinder.

Very much inspired by desert combat mainly soviet invasion of afghanistan.

I was sick of every guard army in the store painted in cadian colours

>Fury reference
My African-American.

That film was Imperial Guard as fuck.

The most recent photo I have of mine user. Currently painting another Demolisher and a Punisher +Pask is on the way.

Speaking of fury i was inspired to do the interior

I dunno if that's actually true. I mean, Recovery Gear is an actual option for you in the codex, and Fire Barrels are apparently a semi-common non-standard/approved attachment that Tankers use.

Depends on the tank, actually. Hellhound operators are often borderline-psychopaths, Banewolf crewman are described as being cold and taciturn (Even eating seperate from everyone else), and Commissariat Tankers are a thing.

Nice dude, looking badass, also stuff your opponent for bringing 4x knights, thats a tough fight for tanks

Better than being infantry, but that ain't saying much.

Haha yea im pretty happy with it, the engine is a bit meh but i like the crew compartment

For the Americans or the Germans?

Where are the various computers from?

Particularly for the Americans. The Germans did a bit too many war crimes for it to really count. Felt more like they were invading a low-key Chaos planet.

Yeah but the part where all the German infantry decided to charge a tank seemed pretty imperial guardish. The only thing missing was the order to fix bayonets.

In Fortress of Arrogance you see the Cadian tankers doing maintence on their machine so it's not like they are allowed to do it obviously they can't make unsanctioned modifcations or build one from scratch which is different.

>pretty imperial guard-ish
Honestly, any good ol' fashioned soldiering is going to come off as Imperial Guard-ish. They're the largest fighting force in the galaxy; technically that makes anything they do standard operating procedures.

The radio operator is using the comp fron the rhino interior, the driver is using the comp from the valkyrie and is the model from the sentinel. Basically just a bunch of stuff from my bitz box

It actually worked out pretty well. Killed a Knight turn one with focus fire and Scions melta bombed a second.
>Fucking stomps tho
He killed two of my Russes with them. I was pretty pissed.

I might do something like that with a Vanquisher I'm putting together.

Thinking about getting Imperial Armor to field an Armoured Battlegroup Army headed by the above Leman Russ Vanquisher.

Nice work, i hate fighting against knights, so tough. Last time i killed all but one knight but then just had 5 infantry models from 3 separate units hiding from it. Pask killed 2 by himself, such a beast he is.

Sounds like a plan, the shells from the baneblade kit are the right size for the leman russ/vanquisher.
The gunner was from the vakyrie door gunner, the driver the sentinel pilot and the radio operator the spare guy from the wyvern kit. My tank commander was from the baneblade kit but the commander from the basilisk would work just as well

And wir alle remember how that was, don't we?

According to my grandpa it was shit followed by a break out of a siberian prison camp with some comrades and walking back home to southern germany again. He and one comrade made it.

You are taught the rites of repair. What you can't do is bodge a job using radically different parts somehow or perform radical field conversions, but again, that depends on where you are and the circumstances of your modification. And this is all dependent on where your regiment is from; if it's from a forge world or something along those lines then there would be a heavy zealotry there while also having a high degree of competence. But if Bumfuck XXV gets a regiment pushed into tanks and sent again to some obscure posting where no one even really knows where it is, they'll likely be a lot more lax.

Give Epic a try. You haven't REALLY played an Imperial treadhead until you've thrown 20 odd Leman Russes with artillery and infantry support into the maelstrom.

My goal is now to have that many russes in regular 40k.

Would the type of Russ affect how the crew thinks? How would the crew of a Demolisher feel different than the crew of an Eradicator?
Hard mode:what about the crew of a Ragnorak?

Which tank would be comfiest thread? I think probably just standard Russ because unless you're the only tank on the battlefield you won't draw as much fire. You also won't accidentally incinerate yourself.

That's just going to drown in the background noise of personal, regimental, and planetary differences.

In the original script - for both.
Unlike how it ended after execs showing up at the filming site, the original script ended up with Fury destroyed by sudden artillery barrage.
American artillery barrage.

Cramped as fuck, that's how it is.

But then we'd miss out on Shia LaBeouf getting sniped user.

Geez, what do you want to know? It's cramped, hot, and makes you thank the Emperor for ear plugs. Well at least my regiment does, nifty little things with integrated speakers so you can actually hear what the hell your gunny and driver are yelling at you too.

Mind, I'm from a pretty well off planet. Some dirt-farmers I know of didn't even have padded seats in their Russ.

Even those guys have it better than the crunchies though. We at least have the metal hide of our rides to shelter us, those guys at best just clamp on to the rear engine deck and hope they don't burn their fingers or get hit by spray shrapnel. We also don't have to deal with the cold much.

I remember one time we were out on some iceball, where we see the guys around us huddle in their little blankets (no fires allowed, could give our position away) and barely adequate foxholes. At the time, I have a spare cup of recaff, and being bored, I popped the hatch and threw it at the ground, loudly yelling this whiskey was not warm enough. The looks on their faces warmed me more than the recaff could.

Totally worth the bollocking I got from the commissar afterwards.

You could just watch the movie...

Like this

What wound'nt I give to be that gunner on top, Imagine watching a whole company of Russes laying down the emperors fury from a first person perspective

1/10

This makes me want to get my Armored Task Force out. Super Heavy Company and 2 Leman Russ Companies.

Till that stray bolt round rips your head or arms off. But that's life I suppose. We nut up and drive on, we weary few. Through mud and sand, hot and cold, we carry on.

More user. This is actually pretty great.

I think there's a Baneblade novel, with some sequels driving other Superheavies.

Eh? Where do I find more about this?

youtube.com/watch?v=wVfxxcam0nY

wish i had the money to buy that baneblade novel.

It's pretty decent. It starts with the guy being a Leman Russ commander I believe blowing the head off a Gargant but losing his Russ in the process. But rather than getting executed he gets command of a Baneblade. That's when the real story begins.

On one of those threads about finding the flaws of some superheavies, I posted that those tanks are so big they behave more like ships than as regular vehicles
>Adept, hull integrity?
>++CONDITION: OPTIMAL++ ++PRAISE THE OMN-
>Excellent. Steersman, set a direct course to the bastion, ramming of obstacles is sanctioned
>Aye sir
>Sponson gunners, acquire primary targets by mass, secondary targets by proximity. Heavy bolters to infantry, Lascannons to vehicles
>Yessir
>Aye m'lord
>Sí señor!
>Jawhol!
>Yes sir
>Yes sir
>Aye captain
>Yes my lord
>Main gunners, concentrate fire forwards
>Aye M'lord
>Uhuh, yeah
>Yessir!
>Open a channel to the enemy HQ, I want them to piss their pants. Better they concentrate their fire on us rather than on the assault brigades
>Sir, do they really piss their pants?
>Of course, just ask the Scions yourself
>C h a n n e l . o p e n
>...

This is... relevant to my interests?

Aight
youtube.com/watch?v=P-DB0z87su0

How many crewmen does that have? A thousand?

Since I don't have Codex Titanicus 2E and the HH4's Stormhammer is different, I'm basing it on the picture having:
>4 Heavy Bolter sponson gunners
>4 Lascannon sponson gunners
>Two main turret gunners
>Hull mounted Demolisher cannon gunner
>A truckload of servitors as loaders
>Resident Enginseer, maybe with lesser techpriests or servitors as helpers
>Driver
>Vox Operator (a servitor in this case)
>Commander

Look at this shit

Well, probably not, because the Leman Russ is supposed to be ultra reliable, not a piece of shit like the Panzer, and you're hardly ever up against superior armor.

what was this senario?

I don't quite understand the Panzer comment. Was it a bad tank? Also, Russes have to go against Railguns, Necron weapons, Eldar lances and all manner of nasty stuff, so they're far from invulnerable.
This isn't official...right?

Panzer wasn't a bad tank when it worked, but it was supremely unreliable and, due to overengineering, hard to repair.

It's from the genestealer cult codex....

FOOOKIN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
GW art: officially double-dead

Explain.

GW just copy pasted old artwork from the guard book and drew over it for the genestealer book

You mean the Panther, right?

Panzer, short from Panzerkampfwagen, just means tank in German.
Your statement makes no sense, unless you add number to the word "Panzer", indicating specific model of WW2-era tank.

Holy fuck.

It depends. That time the regiment got deployed to that spacehulk? It was bad to be a tanker.

That agriworld the orks were invading tho? #bellylaugh #Icame #Icamealot

I pretty much have a constant erection.

Or the artist who made the original got lazy and GW was too lazy to notice.

There are a few differences. The flag in the OP has white around the central skull and looks less detailed than the one in the genestealer picture. The sentinel behind the tank (just left of the turret) is more visible and its barrel is almost touching the hatch while in the OP image this barrel does not exist.

Don't know how to explain it. Either OP image is very blurry, GW doctored the original image or the artist added stuff to the "new" image. There's also a cult banner on the far right of the genestealer image.

Necrons and Eldar are also such an extremely rare sight that most people don't know they exist, this is like saying an Supercarrier is vulnerable because some countries might have a hypersonic nuclear torpedo.

I mean on the tabletop. Most combat is human vs human and human vs orks, right?
I mean, orks.
Their antitank is some bombs on a stick
>mfw it actually works in the Baneblade novel
On the eastern front, however, the Tau...

Sure thing.

Something of a rite of passage these days is the mythical booze dispenser. A Russ has a little hatch for loading shells, a little round thing that is barely visible underneath the camo when it is properly maintained. Now a long time ago some enterprising soul started selling this booze from a still squirreled away inside the Iron Will's engine room.

Don't give me that look as far as the engineseer is concerned that is part of the holy machine's internals, and prohibited it's removal. Allegedly the machine spirit gets cranky if attempts are made.

So anyway. We get booze in bottles that look like a shell, and I am sure you see where this is going. We grab the ranking FNG right after they get accepted into the regiment and host a small party over at the tank they are assigned to. A veteran crewman walks up to their tank, slaps the turret and receives a bottle shell out the hatch from a helpful loader who is hiding inside. Then another one goes up to there and repeats the procedure. Now the rookie, who has been paying attention, attempts the same and gets jack.

"Oh damn it must have run out!"

Or if they're a bit of an arsehole:
"Well well well. Not even the machine spirit likes you."

That's awesome user 10/10.

I'm running a tanker game for my group, loosely based on the Only War ruleset for tanks. We decided to do away with the Leman Russ series being autoloaders, introduced new ammo types and damage is not applied in a more cinematic way, Gaunt's Ghosts style (was it in Honour Guard?). Turns out, being an imperial tanker is about fearing the regimental commissar, facepalming at Krieg charges, unloading a shitload of HE and HESH on infantry-filled builginds and jinking a lot to avoid being bonked by medium tanks/shredded by ATGMs/autopen'd by Vanquishers.

As far as I've been told, lots of fun is being had by all.

damage is applied*

Panzer..what? IV, one of the most reliable tanks around? Or Panther, which by 1944 was far more reliable than the initial deployment in 1943?

Panzer 4's, from the C on up, could be pen'd by a Sherman's 75 at a thousand meters. Considering the galcis was a flat plate, going right through it brought you to an ammo rack.

Sherman's ate Panzer 4's for breakfast in Africa

Read pic related. Seriously, it's onf of the best 40k book there is, even though it's so "simple". That's what make it strong actually. No grand scheme or super menace. Just a standard IG fight against orks.
Really happy that the sequel, Shadowsword, is finally coming out.

You have my attention. Care to share the rules?

>from the C on up

How? F2 was the first one with the long 75mm.

You catch me red-handed, there is nothing really formalized or written down aside from a few things being standardly beefed up. Most of how damage is applied is determined by what I deem reasonable at the time. I agree, it's really arbitrary, but it also avoids falling into the unavoidable faults of a fixed system. The whole party roughly knows how a tank works and whatnot (all in the armed forces and /k/ommandos to boot), so the rational, quasi-fixed element of rules is still there.

I have this vaguely freeform-like approach to RPG games where I consider my players the protagonists of an adventure that I shape around them, avoiding killing them when it's not dramatic enough for example, that sort of thing. I treat the whole campaign as a story that constantly evolves and every session as an episode inside a "season", with the basic rules as a guideline. If you are still interested in the stats for various weapons and tanks that I/we reworked, I can put together a PDF file and post it, though you should keep in mind that it is gonna be flawed.

I was referring to the Sherman's 75mm M3

Ah, I read "could pen" instead of "could be pen'd".

You mean to tell me that this episodic approach isn't standard? I thought that's how RP's are supposed to work?

I know a lot of GMs who adhere strictly and only to the rules, with a course of action that is set in stone, so I guess it might not be unusual, but there are more rigid alternatives. The episodic approach is simply one part of the whole "rules as mere guideline" base for my GMing.

In my opinion, crewing a Malcador (not the Infernus) would be pretty comfy. They're ancient and respected, hard as nails (for their size) and there's more legroom than in a Russ.

Most gratifying tank, Shadowsword maybe?
Perform the rites of firing, pull your sun-specs down and watch the fireworks as that enemy titan gets slagged.

Isn't the Infernus the one that has the giant gas tank on It's ass?

A giant modified Churchill Cocodrile, yes. But I think it can switch its flame ammo for AP2 Armourbane acid, turning it into a giant Banewolf and reducing the risk of explosion

>Giant Banewolf
muh boner
Does anyone actually use Banewolves?