/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

>Latest News:
-New Unearthed Arcana: Bard Colleges: media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf
-Volo's Guide to Monsters out in the trove!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session: Have you ever played an investigation scenario or a mystery campaign?
What did you like about it? What did you hate?

Reposting

>I think making the culprits humanoids (and, by definition, easy to interact with) could be a good beginning.

Nah, extraordinary culprits are ok, but unless you want to make the mystery frustrating, there needs to be enough clues to point toward each elements of the mystery.

At least, that contextually the characters can understand what's going on.

Or, if it stays unexplained/is trully unknown, then make it an hook for something else.

>An unknown spell was used. Who could have such a thing?

Context and clues are important. If you see a guy who got a big mace through the head, you don't really suspect mind flayers as your first try.

>dat pic

>Frost kings: "Fuck your boring-ass crypts and mausoleums, we want a tomb that look like a sword."

What's new with liches in 5e?

I'm DMing a campaign for a group of inquisitives. Every session is a mystery.
Half of the time I'm flying by the seat of my pants, but the players enjoy it.
In one session of a classic dinner party murder, they were convinced the pet bird did it for a while.
It kinda did, since it flew in the window while a guest was ODing and tripping balls, prompting them to stab themselves.

They're watered down garbage like everything else in 5e.

The monster manual makes it clear that they have to steal souls to stay alive, which various settings have gone back-and-forth on.

4pbp

I'm dumb, as asked in last bread:

Can I get a compare / contrast of minor illusion and prestidigitation?

Ugh. Wasn't a fan of that. Thanks.

They have to consume souls to stay sane, and basically the only option for anyone who want to become a lich is to make a bargain with Orcus in exchange for the knowledge

They are both the best spells in the game.

Anons? I was going over my old copy of The Complete Necromancer's Handbook, and since we got a "Kits of Old" unearthed arcana last year, I was curious: do folks think that the "Undead Master" kit could maybe be adapted into a 5e Wizard tradition?

In AD&D, this was a necromancer who could also cast Enchantment skills as well as Command & Bind undead, fiends and extraplanar creatures as though they were a cleric. The downside was they only got 1 weapon proficiency and they couldn't cast Alteration (I think that's Transmutation, now?), Illusion or Divination spells.

Curse of Strahd has a way to become a lich in game.

The whole point of lichdom is to make a path to immortality of your own power, so you don't have to make deals with higher powers.

You have to get the ritual somehow, by finding it, stealing it, or bartering for it. How independent you are afterwards depends on exactly the ritual you got.
By default in FR, this is done via deals with Orcus, lord of undeath. In CoS you can make a deal with the Dark Powers.

speaking of warlocks, have anyone had success with the GOO patron?
i wish there was more eldritch stuff in 5e, cthulhus are so much fun.

There could be a way of doing that. Maybe have some of their fancier features require spending spell slots or Arcane Recovery.

We did a murder mystery at a wedding once.

>Party consists of a couple sorcerers, a rogue, and a cleric (me)
>We're members of the setting equivalent of the FBI
>Negotiate an arranged wedding between the son of a gnomish mafioso and the daughter of a halfling brewer (a friend of ours)
>Basically he gave us some information about the mafia leaders and we arranged the marriage
>Attend the wedding because the rest of the party thinks it'll be fun
>Wedding is going fine
>Gnomish mafioso steps out for a moment
>Shortly after there's a shriek from a nearby restroom
>Gnomish mafioso was murdered
>We immediately lock down the area and call for backup
>Start searching for clues
>Find a bloody knife among some dishes
>We're certain it's the murder weapon, but unsure how to proceed
>The sorcerers come up with a plan
>We gather up everyone who was at the wedding
>The sorcerers reveal the dagger to everyone and claim that they'll use a powerful ritual in order to find the killer
>Using minor illusion and prestidigitation, they bullshit a ritual while I watch the crowd like a hawk for anyone looking nervous
>Immediately spot one of the guests looking spooked
>We bring him in for questioning
>Sorcerers interrogate him while I act as a human polygraph
>Reveals that he was blackmailed by the mafia into doing it
>We get the information we can out of him and then arrest him

All that said, we probably could've solved the whole thing in a couple minutes if I'd remembered to prepare Speak With Dead.

Wasn't a fan of what?

>a compare / contrast of minor illusion and prestidigitation?

>Prestidigitation

You can create an instant harmless sensory effect, like a blue spark or a faint smell, you can create a trinket or and illusion that stands in your hand for one turn, you can mark a surface with a color or symbol, you can clean/make dirty a surface, you can light/snuff a small fire, you can warm or cool unliving matter.

It has either a very limited in size, believability (as in, it can't fool anyone ) and duration (a turn max) illusion, or has a very limited physical effect.

>Minor illusion

You can create a sound ranging from faint to pretty loud or a 5ft-cube-or-smaller image.

It lasts 1 min max.

People needs to do an Intelligence (Investigation) vs your spell save DC to realize it is false, which means that you have a good chance to fool people with it unless they have tangible proof of the contrary.

Prestidigitation is helpful more often than Minor Illusion, but Minor Illusion is super-helpful more often than Prestidigitation.

Like, if you take Prestidigitation you'll be using it several times a day. If you take Minor Illusion, you might go quite a while without using it, but the times you use it will be more critical.

I'll admit I've got a soft spot for illusionists, so this isn't a totally impartial evaluation.

Prestidigitation's effects are usually real. You really can light a torch, clean a suit of clothes, flavor some food, or make a trinket, even if the latter two don't last longer than an hour. Minor Illusion can be identified as an illusion and can't be touched in any way, but its effects are bigger, so you can make a continuous sound or (as my halfling arcane trickster liked to do) make the illusion of a barrel and then hide inside it.

>The whole point of lichdom is to make a path to immortality of your own power, so you don't have to make deals with higher powers.

Nah, the whole point is flawed immortality.

Independance is welcomed, but hard to get.

I'd love to figure out a way to pull it off. The first thing to come to mind is that, obviously, the spellbook feature applies to Necromancy, Enchantment and Conjuration - maybe doubling the price of Transmutation, Illusion and Divination spells is a fair balance to that?

Playing something similar, basically applying "Beastmaster Ranger" to Wizard with the following changes.

Instead of an animal obviously, you get a Skeleton or Zombie.
Co-ordinated attack triggers off casting a Cantrip, not attacking.

I guess. If I were designing the archetype for a mass audience I wouldn't go with that (it's uncommon for a feature to include a penalty to it, unless that penalty specifically applies to the feature being granted), but if this is just for you and your games then it'd work okay.

Alternatively, the standard spellbook feature halves both the cost and the time spent. If it were to halve only the time spent, not the cost, then it'd probably be fine.

Or maybe instead of a tradition, it could be an outright variant (like the ranger without spells).

It wouldn't be hard to make a Wizard School that use Necromancy Savant as a base, but can use features similar to a Cleric's Channel Divinity

Halving only the time really does make more sense. 5e followed in 4e's footsteps by staying away from class/race penalties, so I'd like to preserve that.

Oh? How would you make it as a class (Necromancer?) variant as opposed to its own subclass?

It'd be similar to what you're proposing, but you'd have more flexibility (e.g. you could do the double-cost to copy transmutation/illusion/divination stuff if you wanted).

Just a suggestion. A tradition could work, too.

Hey all, I've been looking into warlock lately and I can't wrap me head around their spells. How many casts to they get per day? the way it's written gives me a headache.

Their spells aren't measured in spells per day. All it takes is a short rest to get all their spell slots back. The downside is that they get very few spell slots, and those slots are all the same level.

Here's some stuff I usually do when I'm designing an archetype.

To start, I make a list of what I think the archetype's most essential features are; the ones that make it what it is. This is especially helpful if you're adapting an earlier class/kit/whatever.

(I don't usually adapt stuff from previous editions, the exception being the Seeker from 4e, so that's what I'm including here as an example. I'm not totally satisfied with it as it is, though.)

For the Seeker, I took its basic concept (imbuing arrows with primal spirits which apply control effects in theory), its archetype-independent class feature (Inevitable Shot), and its coolest power (Feyjump Shot) to start.

Next, I pare down and adjust the language to fit with 5e's mechanics. Modifiers to rolls become either advantage/disadvantage or modifiers to static numbers, etc.

Then, figure out at which level it's most appropriate to get each feature. This can take some tweaking; some things to consider are the guidelines in the Class Design Variants UA, the tier at which they get the feature, and the spells available at that level. Buffs and penalties can be added to the feature to make it fit better; one penalty you can use is that the feature consumes a resource that's used for the class's main features (e.g. a feature that consumes a use of the druid's Wild Shape or X spell levels from Arcane Recovery).

Warlocks don't get "spells per day"; instead, they recover their spell slots when they complete a short rest. In theory, if the party keeps taking short rests, they could have any number of spells before they have to take a long rest.

In general, the assumed number of short rests per day is 2, but it depends on circumstances, your party, and your DM.

What do you mean they are all the same level?

Where it says Slot Level, all of the spells the warlock casts are at that spell slot level.

Thinking of making a fighter/barbarian tank with a battle axe and shield.

Would a battleaxe benefit from a Half-Orc's Savage attack? Or should I go human variant and get some extra feats?

Would Champion be a good archetype to dip into?

Heavy armor or light armor?

Warlocks can cast as many spells as they have invocations.

Fixed.

Woah, that means warlocks only get 2 spells per rest up until 10th level? that seems a bit low

Remember, they're both 5th level. And they get them back on a short rest. They can nuke someone, take an hour nap, and do it again.

Short rest abilities are balanced around two short rests for every long rest. So it's supposed to be around 6 spell slots for one adventuring day.

Funny how Conan is so often depicted as bare-chested.

Conan wore armor as much as he could, because he didn't want to die

not him but non of my campaigns have been like this, i just don't understand how the developers expect 6~8 encounter per adventuring day and still achieve anything remotely relevant plot-wise in less than twenty million years worth of sessions.

Encounters are anything that makes the party expend resources, really. Social stuff can often be as much of an encounter as a straight up fight.

The barbarian loses some of its benefits when wearing heavy armor. I think either medium armor or relying on Unarmored Defense would be better.

>Savage Attacker
I guess? Savage Attacker is a bigger benefit for something like a greataxe. If your heart is set on fighting with a shield, then it'd probably be better to go with a human.

Champion/Barbarian would be a reasonably good mix. I'm guessing you're going for maximizing your critical hits (though in that case, it'd be better to go with a greataxe and Savage Attacker). Also, that wouldn't really pay off until at least Barbarian 9/Fighter 3. It'd be great when it worked, but it wouldn't be the game-changer you're probably imagining.

I'm working out the math right now, gimme a minnit.

Liches are gay because you've got all these entities (both mortal groups and planar forces like maruts) that are supposed to run around killing them for violating nature / death / fashion sense, but you never ever see or hear anything about these fuckers.

All the liches un-live in a state of perpetual not-giving-a-shit about anything that isn't the PC or other limp-dicked adventuring groups like them which are solely in it for the loot.

You're never going to be walking through the countryside and see a lich and his rapidly-incinerating army speeding past you while a giant beefcake with thunderous hammers for hands chases after them.

You're never going to hear a rumor at the tavern that local lich, Malgrimor the Destructor, had his tower blown the fuck up by a metallic dragon who was finally tired of his shit.

You're not going to be exploring the abandoned basement of a ruined monastery only to find that a lich USED to un-live here, but the local druid conclave swept in a few years back and roto-rootered the guy's asshole with awakened owlbears.

Meanwhile, you can't walk five feet without tripping over the bones of some ancient dragon who's been made into a sick helmet or magical tea kettle.

In my group our gnome necromancer's uncle was a lich. He would occasionally help out the party, until one day he got killed by an adventuring party and the necromancer inherited his lich tomb.

It's the same shit at play when people talk about Gandalf like he was some mighty fire-slingin' war-wizard that all D&D arcanists are patterned after.

Guy basically casts Thunderwave three times over the course of all the books, knocks a few rocks over. That's it.

the designers are fucking dumb with everything regarding the "adventuring day", is why.

Even then, that's a lot of trouble/stuff to be getting into in one day, and usually purely-social encounters simply are not that mechanically draining (because these games mechanics and resource-management rules tend to focus on literal combat, not other things), and then when they might be, they always seem to be excluded from the "counting" of encounters for encounters and resting (probably because they tend to not be mechanically draining?)

How would you guys feel about making the Feywild into Gensokyo?

In terms of the Champion 3/Barbarian 9 fusion, your per-attack damage would be about half a point higher than if you just went straight Champion 12 with either a battleaxe or a greataxe without Savage Attacker, or with a battleaxe with Savage Attacker. If you had Savage Attacker and wielded a greataxe, your damage would be roughly 2/3 of a point per turn greater than a straight Fighter.

This is only taking into account Improved Critical and Brutal Critical, not stuff like Rage Damage, Reckless Attack, or the bonus from your Fighting Style.

Sweet quints yo. Also I do this already.

I feel like the variant rest rules would work a lot better, long rests are a couple of days (think a weekend) and short rests are 8 hours. That way you can have 6-8 encounters while not spending ages on each day.

The only thing I make the Feywild into is a nuclear wasteland.

Martial Archetype:

Hermit King.

Farmhand knowledge
At 3rd level when using a simple weapon you add +1 to the attack and damage rolls, you add your strength modifier twice (Up to +2) when using Tridents, and Sickles, these bonuses do not work for weapons in your off hand.

Reaped Rewards
At 7nd level you can pick a simple weapon,that weapon is considered your chosen weapon, and is treated as magic with a +1 to it's attack roll, you also learn one druid cantrip.

Useful Modifications
At 10th level
You make one change to your chosen weapon from the following options:

Extension: Your weapon gains the reach ability, extending it's range by 5ft.

Jagged edges: You take a -5 to your attack roll, if you miss you take 1d6 slashing damage, if you hit your target takes 1d8 slashing damage, upon hitting yourself you must make a DC 13+str mod constitution saving throw or take a further 1d6 bleeding damage

Extended handle: Your Weapon gains versatile, when held in two hands improve the weapons damage die using this list D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 If the weapon uses a D12 for it's damage die this Modification does nothing.

Shaved Weight: Your weapon gains the Thrown property, it deals one less damage die when thrown this way, your weapons range is 30/120.

Slimmed Handle: Your weapon gains Finesse.

You may take another Modification at level 15 and 18.

I'm trying to make a fighter archetype built around using simple weapons, is this too powerful? too weak?

That really fucks anyone who gets their shit back on a long rest

Did the one user making the underwater dungeon for pic related ever post it here?

I'm gonna save this shit and eventually use it

Not really as long as you stick to the 6-8 encounters. Filling a day with that much stuff feels bloated, but any less and you have to make everything harder, and this screws over short rest classes.

If you stick to the number of encounters the game plays much more like intended but with less bloated adventuring days.

Does the Knowledge domain Channel Divinity: Read Thoughts work on creatures you don't share a language with?

It doesn't say it does. However, it allows you to cast Suggestion on the creature, which does require the creature to understand you.

It would be kind of weird if for some targets the first part applied but the second didn't. But I could read it as the channel divinity overriding the usual requirements of the target creature for Suggestion.

It doesn't just end at liches, it's everything Evil. Demons and devils are constantly breaking through to the Material Plane, making deals with mortals, getting cults to summon this and that, raising armies to sack these fuckers or take over this place. Ancient evil elementals constantly up to no good, Far Realm entities piercing the veil between realities, goblinoid armies on the march, necromancers and rakshasas and slaads ready to ruin everyone's day.

But that's just one side of the coin. What are all of the angels and other Good-aligned extraplanar creatures up to? APPARENTLY FUCKING NOTHING, EVER.

>Farmhand Knowledge
I'd get rid of the double-Strength modifier and let the bonus apply to dual weapons.

>Reaped Rewards
So does this apply to just one particular weapon, or to every weapon of the same type? If you pick the greatclub, does every greatclub you pick up gain +1? Does that +1 stack with the Farmhand Knowledge +1?

Also, the 7th-level feature is typically supposed to be non-combat related.

>Useful Modifications
Not gonna mince words, this is terrible. The options are ridiculously unbalanced. Extension is incredibly powerful, Jagged Edges is garbage. Extended Handle is both needlessly complicated and not very useful. Trash this feature and start over.

I dont think you have ever read any class or archetype in 5e

Very few abilities and features are just "you get +X to X", almost all your features in this get just straight number bonuses

Also ALL of your abilities are directly combat related

Bounded accuracy.

why don't the baddies bleed. can we not kill them?
I'd likely never use Jagged Edges. -5 for possible +1d8 Slash, but I'm also fairly likely to bleed all over the ground?

I don't think I'd ever pick Slimmed Handles unless it changed "you add your strength modifier twice (Up to +2)" to being based around Dex. I'm not waiting until level 10 to be able to use my Dex that I must have been pumping (to the probable detriment of Str?), and even then suddenly removing my double-stacked (lightly) Strength just to use my Dex seems ill-advised.

Everything is +murder in a +++murder class. Yeah, the other archetypes are kind of like that but there's more to them.
Give me some farmhand proficiencies. Make me able to endure long days of work.

Jagged edges is shit
Slimmed hands is shit
The concept is good

The whole thing seems to just be trying to bring simple weapons to par with martial weapons. You should do this with just one of the features, give them something unique with another and put some utility/flavor on it as well.

Thanks user. Would charger be a good feat and would it stack with savage attacker?

Who's hammer-hands?

Why is coming up with names so hard

Why call it Hermit King?

>But that's just one side of the coin. What are all of the angels and other Good-aligned extraplanar creatures up to? APPARENTLY FUCKING NOTHING, EVER.
The planes where they do visit are super good and peaceful planes. So, ones that don't spawn adventurers. It's the old puddle-and-hole fallacy.

Martial Archetype: Hoplite

>Phalanx
Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you are adept at fighting in formation. When you wield a spear in one hand, its damage die increases to 1d8.
Additionally, while you are adjacent to at least two allies who are not adjacent with each other, two of them add your shield's AC bonus to their own AC. A creature can only benefit from this feature from one hoplite at a time.

>Battlefield Awareness
Starting at 7th level, when a friendly creature that you can see or hear succeeds on a Wisdom (Perception) check, you also automatically succeed on that check if it applies to you.

>Squad Tactics
At 10th level, when you successfully shove a creature prone, you can command a creature allied with you to strike. The ally can use its reaction to make one melee weapon attack against the prone creature.
Additionally, if a creature next to you is subjected to a saving throw against an effect that would force it to move, you can use your reaction to give it advantage on the saving throw.

>Strength In Numbers
At 15th level, if at the end of your turn your allies are benefiting from your Phalanx feature, you can make one additional weapon attack.

>Regroup
At 18th level, when you use your Action Surge feature, you can choose up to six creatures within 120 feet that are allied with you. Each one can use its reaction to move up to its speed.

A marut. They are one type of a class of extraplanar constructs called "inevitables" that enforce universal laws. In the marut's case, they enforce DEATH, and run around murdering anything that defies the natural order by achieving immortality or cheating death through other means. They always know where you are and never stop chasing your ass down until you pay for whatever it is that attracted the inevitable's attention in the first place. They're like Terminators.

Except apparently they don't exist because nothing bad ever happens to bad people.

If you go by the fluff, the Good beings ARE dealing with that shit, and the adventurers just meet the ones that aren't dealt with by other people.

The bad explanation my DM for Pathfinder (which I only play because my friends enjoys it) ends up using while trying to do the first one, it's that the PCs are the protagonists, so they have to do the important things in the world while the more powerful people are doing unimportant things like selling high-level magic items.

Though never creating a world that feels alive and where things happen when the PCs aren't looking is a problem for many DMs

Roguish Archetype: Thug

Proper Thrashing
>Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with medium armor, flails and morningstars. Additionally, you can can use your Sneak Attack feature with any melee weapon you are wielding in one hand and are proficient with, even if it does not have the finesse property.

Dirty Fighting
>Also at 3rd level, when you successfully grapple a creature, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack against that creature.

>Look Behind You
Starting at 9th level, you can use deceit to put off your enemies in a fight. When making an attack that qualifies for the other requirements of a Sneak Attack but is not made with advantage, you can attempt to distract the target creature. Make a Charisma (Deception) check contested by the creature's Wisdom (Insight) check. If you win the contest, the attack counts as a Sneak Attack if it hits. However, if you do not win the contest, the attack automatically misses.
>A target creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected by this feature.

Sand In Your Eye
>Starting at 13th level, you can use an action to throw sand or dust at a creature. Choose a creature you can see within 10 feet. It must make a Constitution saving throw against a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Dexterity modifier. On a failed save, the creature is blinded until the start of your next turn. A creature that does not rely on eyes to see, such as one with blindsight, is not affected.

Hit Them While They're Down
>When you reach 17th level, any attack you make against a prone creature within 5 feet is a critical hit.

Need any help, user?

I'm not bad at finding names

I like this.

Not that hard, really.

Need a dwarf name? Pick a single-syllable first name and a a compound of two words for the last name. Example: Sledge Foehamer

Need an elf name? Pick something flowy that's either easy to say or can be shortened to a nickname. Example: Dael Sylerfelt (goes by Dale)

Need a halfling name? Pick something a British farmer would be named, with a last name alluding to something comfy like a river, hill, hearth, etc. Example: Theo Hilltopple

Need a human name? Pick something from a real world culture and do nothing to it.

>Except apparently they don't exist because nothing bad ever happens to bad people.

Nah, it's supposed to happen, it's just plenty of DMs are too lazy to make stuff happens outside of the PCs' direct involvement.

These are cool. Brutal, efficient, simple, thematic.

Martial Archetype:

Hermit King.

Farmhand knowledge
Your time on farms has taught you nuances of farming tools, you find these nuances are mostly applicable to simplistic weapons not designed for farming
At 3rd level when using a simple weapon you add +1 to the attack and damage rolls, you add your dexterity modifier if the weapon is strength based or add your strength modifier twice (up to a maximum +2) when using Tridents, and Sickles, these bonuses do not work for weapons in your off hand.

Reaped Rewards
At 7th level your long life of toiling in the field has paid off, after years of working you've found tricks to keep yourself going for hard labour, you gain advantage on constitution checks to do with endurance such as swimming, or working fields, you choose a weapon type, you can create a chosen weapon using a weapon of that type, whilst holding your chosen weapon you gain advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks, your chosen weapon is considered magical and has +1 to it's damage roll.

Useful Modifications
At 10th level
You make one changes to your chosen weapon from the following options:

Extended handle: Your Weapon gains versatile, when held in two hands improve the weapons damage die using this list D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 If the weapon uses a D12 for it's damage die this Modification does nothing.

Shaved Weight: Your weapon gains the Thrown property, it deals one less damage die when thrown this way, your weapons range is 30/120.

Natural Attunement: Your weapon can deal an additional d4 of radiant or necrotic damage to Plants, in addition you can force crops to grow much faster than normal using your weapon (They finish their growth cycle in one day) Crops harvested in this manner rot after 2d4 days.

Restorative Crops: Your chosen weapon is surrounded by vines, which reap 2d8 goodberries every day, at the end of the day these goodberries rot.
You may take another Modification at level 15 and 18.

Veeky Forums word limits annoying

Okay, another thing, if warlocks can only cast up to 5th level, why oes it say in the players handbook on page 210 that they have 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells?

Thanks, but I bet they're imbalanced as fuck and 5e will tell us exactly how

Sorry farmhand knowledge has a weird typo, it should read you can add ethier your strength or dex modifier to attack and damage rolls up to a maximum of +2

Mystic Arcanum or something like that. They get those spells, but they refresh daily like everyone else.

just add +1 damage on extended handle, which is essentially the same effect of changing the dice

The designers are still in the old-school D&D mindset: many days of completely uneventful overland travel, then you go into a dungeon where there are 30-50 encounters with very few chances to rest or escape. They haven't noticed that most actual play groups take an approach more like you'd find in fantasy literature or movies: very seldom do heroes there get into more than one fight per day.

What's funny is that it's not actually how they design encounters in official settings and books (thankfully). So really I wonder who they're "designing" for with this 5-6 encounters per rest.

Your time on farms has taught you nuances of farming tools, you find these nuances are mostly applicable to simplistic weapons not designed for farming
At 3rd level when using a simple weapon you add +1 to the attack and damage rolls, you add your dexterity modifier or strength modifier twice (up to a maximum +2) when using Tridents, and Sickles, these bonuses do not work for weapons in your off hand.

At 7th level your long life of toiling in the field has paid off, after years of working you've found tricks to keep yourself going for hard labour, you gain advantage on constitution checks to do with endurance such working fields, you choose a weapon type, you can create a chosen weapon using a weapon of that type, whilst holding your chosen weapon you gain advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks, your chosen weapon is considered magical and has +1 to it's damage roll, it takes one long rest of attunment to create another chosen weapon.

At 10th level
You make one changes to your chosen weapon from the following options:

Extended handle: Your Weapon gains +1 to it's damage rolls, this bonus becomes +2 when the weapon is held in both hands.

Natural Attunement: Your weapon can deal an additional d6 of radiant or necrotic damage to Plants, in addition you can force crops to grow much faster than normal using your weapon (They finish their growth cycle in one day) Crops harvested in this manner rot after 2d4 days.

Restorative Crops: Your chosen weapon is surrounded by vines, which reap 2d8 goodberries every day, at the end of the day these goodberries rot.

Tool of slaughter: You can choose to make a Strength (Animal Handling) check in place of a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check when holding this weapon, and deal 1d4 extra damage to beasts.
i feel like simple weps aren't buffed enough

>be wizard
>meet Zephyros
>politely ask to copy some spells as it would be of great help
>mfw he accepts

I really like the goodberry stuff

for me this is the greatest flaw (or maybe the correct is shortcoming?) of the system as it is.

i had to homebrew on the go rest mechanics because it makes no sense for people escape from a crumbling tomb or trying to outspeed a villain to take a 1 hour nap to heal hitpoints or just how a mildly competent or even challenging encounter either takes a million years to finish or is a swingfest that either knocks down half the party in one round or half the enemies get CC'd to death in three rounds of gangbang smacking.

this too, even in the published works i've played, there's at most 2~3 encounters per day and at most of those, there's not time or logical reason to take a rest in between.

>would it stack with savage attacker?
What do you mean by that, exactly?

Charger gives you a +5 bonus to damage under certain circumstances. Savage Attacker increases the damage you deal when you score a critical hit. They could both apply to the same attack, hypothetically, if that's what you mean.

Now this I like.

>Phalanx
Maybe change the second part a bit.
>While you are carrying a shield, you can grant your shield's AC bonus to up to two friendly creatures within 5 feet of you and you who are not carrying shields. A creature can only gain this benefit from one hoplite at a time.

>Battlefield Awareness
I can imagine situations where this could be useful, but for the most part, any time a party member succeeds on a Wisdom (Perception) check, wouldn't their immediate response be to say "hey, guys, check it out!"

At the risk of it seeming like I'm trying to make your thing my thing: maybe something like "you also have advantage on Dexterity saving throws to avoid traps"?

>Strength in Numbers
The extra attack should probably be "as a bonus action" or something, or at least something like "when you take the Attack action on your turn, you can make one additional weapon attack if at least one creature has the benefit of your Phalanx feature".

>Regroup
Giving your allies some extra movement could be pretty useful at an earlier level, but at 18th level they've got pretty easy access to magical items, spells like Fly, what have you, so mobility isn't as big of a deal.

Maybe "move up to its speed or make a single weapon attack"? That might be too powerful, I dunno.

I don't love Regroup, but I also don't hate it. It might be fine as-is.

Other than that, it's mostly just wording stuff. "Within 5 feet" instead of "adjacent", "creature friendly to you" instead of "ally".

I think this is getting to be much better. It needs a rewrite to be less...bad of english, but now we have a variety of non-combat things being added, some fun/amusing stuff like restorative crops and natural attunement, and you're still more murderous with some weapons.

Also, tridents aren't classified as Simple Weapons, but sickles are. Are you aware of this?

>Proper Thrashing
Don't forget to mention "you must abide by the other restrictions". And typically medium armor proficiency comes with shield proficiency, but that's your call. I can see how that might not necessarily fit the flavor you want to achieve.

>Dirty Fighting
What about "shove or grapple" instead of just Grapple?

On a positive note, I like these features. I'm guessing you were looking for a way to encourage a Rogue who uses Strength, and these seem like a good way to do that.

>Look Behind You
I'm not crazy about this one. It sorta clashes with the previous two; if you're going for Strength as the secondary ability, it seems off to throw in an ability based on Charisma. It's also potentially adding lots of extra rolls to combat. Every turn, instead of one attack roll and one damage roll, it could potentially be an ability check from you contested with an ability check from the target, then the attack roll and the damage roll. That stuff adds up.

>Sand in Your Eye
This is another one I don't like. Throwing dirt in someone's eyes shouldn't require a class feature or special training, that's just something anyone can do at any time.

Plus, blinding a creature until the start of your next turn as an action is... bad. You can't make an attack against them, because your action is gone. They aren't inconvenienced the next time they try to attack you, because it's worn off by then. The only potential advantage is that they're less likely to hit you with an opportunity attack or something, but you can already Disengage as a bonus action.

>Hit Them While They're Down
If you just changed that to "any time you hit a prone creature within 5 feet of you with an attack, the attack is a critical hit", it'd be much better. Otherwise not only are you giving out unlimited critical hits, but you're giving out unlimited automatic hits too. Though it still might be too powerful when combined with Sneak Attack.

Tridents aren't simple, they're more impractical spears (in this game)

Still don't get the name.

Something like Master of the Countryside or Green Thumb would fit better, no?

Green thumb would be better, cheers.
I changed FHK to work with all simple weapons, war picks and tridents to get the peasants tool kit down
I've changed Extended handle to give a flat +1 to damage rolls and +2 when two handed.

Thanks for the feedback guys

why is the 7th level feature still giving +1 to damage?
i don't think monk's magical fist increase in damage just from becoming magical.

+1 to attack and damage plus expertise is already a huge bonus. take a trident, it's a 1d6 versatile (1d8), +1 to damage is the actually better than a 1d8 because higher minimum and same average, so you are getting a 1d8 versatile (1d10) weapon with increased accuracy which can even benefit from dueling fighting style, and on top of that you are giving it a free +2. that's 1d6+6 which is the same average as 1d12+3, the strongest martial weapon option available for a martial class.

i assume this thing doesn't get extra attack at level 5, so i understand your want for another damage improvement so let's look at the rogue, at 5th level sneak attack deals 3d6 which is avg. 10.5 or about 1d12+4, as extra damage given the conditions are met and only if the conditions for it are met. on the other hand, every martial class' 7th level feature is defensive or utility and every additional martial damage improvement comes at 11th level, while 10th level is an improvement for an earlier feature plus utility.

so give it a 5th level situational damage improvement and a 7th level fluff/exploration feature, while making the 10th level a feature improvement (that can be for combat) that isn't a flat damage increase while leaving the flat damage increase for 11th level.

>Green thumb would be better, cheers.

You're welcome!

It's just hermits aren't really known for agriculture and the like

Ok, but who would want to become a lich if the only rumors you heard about them were how the forces of good blew them the fuck up?

>Yeah, yeah, but I won't make the same stupid mistakes THEY did.

>meet Zephyros
>our ranger tries to shoot him
>Zephyros is like WTF don't do that I'm a friend have some magic arrows I'm serious about this friend stuff
>our ranger tries to shoot him
>dwarves show up and try to kill him
>we argue them down
>our ranger argues them up
>Zephyros flies us to Waterdeep
>ranger disappears mysteriously forever in the back room of an inn

>guidelines groups don't follow
People don't use monsters with stats like the existing published monsters?
I could eye the value of separating things out in such a way that you could see your DPR against various CRs. Could be rather cumbersome to implement though.
>chart is flawed in other ways as well
What are they?
>use average ac of all monsters across all levels
What? That makes very little sense. How often is your level 20 party figuring a cr1? I mean really, that seems ridiculous.

What other issues does it have?

I've made a fork of it for my own purposes, and used it to calculate some things it didn't bother with before; and other changes are certainly possible. What other problems does it have in its assumptions, aside from only covering the CR=Lv use case?

This desu