Mutants and Masterminds General /m&m/

>What is Mutants and Masterminds?

"Mutants & Masterminds, or M&M for short, is an adventure roleplaying game in which you, the players, take on the roles of fictional superheroes having thrilling adventures in an imaginary world. One player, the Gamemaster, takes on the job of creating that world and the stories for the other players to take part in. Together, you create your own tales of heroic action and adventure, like your favorite superhero comic books, television shows, or movies. You don’t need any expensive computers or video game systems to take part though. You just need a book, some friends, and plenty of imagination."

The game is currently in its 3rd edition.

>Links
mutantsandmasterminds.com/
d20herosrd.opengamingnetwork.com/

>ITT
Alright, so the dimensional refugees have finally been registered into the system to hunt the monsters that destroyed their homeworlds.

However, I am uncertain about a few things:
1. I want the party to have their own Superhero Team or House name. I was thinking of letting them all come up with a name themselves, but I'm not sure how well it'll go.
2. Although there are several ways I can do it, what's truly the best ways to introduce missions to hunt monsters outside the city?
3. The player characters are currently scattered about in the city doing their own thing, what's the best way of gathering them up for more interaction among each other? I was thinking of some elite inviting the new arrivals out of charity to a dinner party, but I wasn't sure if I should wait before or after they do a mission.

Other urls found in this thread:

opengamingstore.com/products/monster-brief-mixed-foes-ii
mediafire.com/file/xw6ao5nllqod709/Hero High, Revised Edition (PDF)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

opengamingstore.com/products/monster-brief-mixed-foes-ii

Apparently this exists.

Rules Question: How do throwing attacks with Area Move Object work? Specifically, does area move object by itself let a character attack multiple opponents with thrown objects, or is another extra like damaging or multiattack also necessary?

Also, what would you add to the grapple check for a character with Move Object and grappling finesse?

Tell me stories of your favorite heroes or villains from your games fellow fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls.

From what I know, to throw something is a Strength-based Ranged Damage Effect, and Move Object functions as ranged Strength in that regard. So you'd have to buy Multiattack most likely if you wanna throw multiple objects or grab stuff, and Damage Extra would be applied if you simply want to attack with the force itself (IE telekinetic force missile(s). In some cases depending on what you're throwing Strength or Move Object, you can flatten some foes with an object big enough, like a semi truck for example.

The grapple check should be based on the Move Object rank, grabbing finesse does nothing.

That makes sense.

It raises an issue with Throwing Mastery where you can have a low rank move object with tons of extras still dealing PL capped damage, but I guess that's not very different than Throwing Mastery with Multiattack or other extras on your strength.

I guess the question is how many ranks of Multiattack do you need if your damage comes from Improvised Weapon, Throwing Mastery, or strength-based equipment. The issue is that multiattack doesn't really lose any benefit if you only buy partial ranks, which seems like an oversight.

One game had a guy who made a zombie outlaw with a relatively straightforward powerset - cursed revolvers, lasso, zombie immunities, a little super strength, and speed with the platform modifier and 'Horse' for the descriptor - that ended up soloing most of an encounter. The GM forgot his gun shot ghost-killing bullets, and a whole bunch of elemental spirit things that would've been a huge pain to deal with otherwise got McCree'd in a couple rounds.

I think the GM would've been more upset if the player hadn't spent the entire time talkin' 'bout his pa always warned him 'bout dem dead injuns in a pretty decent cowboy drawl.

I really liked how my GM ran a DC Adventure game with the more obscure characters all together at a party. Basically, our character were their own Justice League, Justice League Miami to be specific around maybe the eighties in time period. First session we got to fight Lobo, only to find out later it was a set up by Maxwell Lord to gain the group popularity.

bumpp

My current character is a private eye called...um, Private-Eye. A detective who has gained psychic abilities, notably telepathy, astral-projection, and postcognition. Dresses (and sometimes acts) like The Question, but is a bit more fragile, preferring to handle his enemies with a 12 gauge of justice and bundles of dynamite for when a BIG guy shows up.

So far he's been trying to unravel the criminal-assassin empire of one Mr Buzzard, but so far he's been thwarted by some pretty savvy legal shit from the villain, as well as a "cleaner" named Smokescreen, whose power seems to be that he can't be directly detected using nonmundane powers. It's been both daunting/frustrating, and incredibly satisfying to play at Detective this whole time. I just wish I could catch a fucking break, but I'm basically trying to out-fox the Illuminati at this point. I think the only reason I haven't been black-bagged is the fact that I'm extremely visible within law enforcement circles and a superhero.

Rate me.

You are everything I would hope to get from a player with initial "my hero is a detective" idea.

The last game I played in was a while ago, set in the Marvel universe. We were a bunch of super-powered teens who'd been flagged as potential future villains (just like that one arc in the comics, yeah) and were shipped off to essentially super-juvie to try and encourage them to cultivate their powers for the good of humanity.

My character was simply a teleporter who was very big on getting into places she wasn't supposed to be. She was also a social-media sensation, taking pictures of herself in "impossible" places - in disguise, of course. She got picked up after snapping a selfie in the oval office.

The GMPC of that group turned out to be the most interesting character of all. Seems that "John" was actually the teenage clone of The Red Skull.

Otherwise, I haven't gotten a chance to play in a long time. I did come up with several concepts for the Statesmen when /shg/ was a thing. Was rather proud of how Blue Crab turned out.

Blue Crab was mighty cool.

Oh, SPEED with the platform modifier instead of flight, that's interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I'm gonna have to use that somewhere.

Anyway Veeky Forums, I have a question. If I have a damage power linked with an affliction power, is their COMBINED effect limited by the game's power level, or is it each of their effects limited by the power level, individually?

For example, let's say I have a Power Level 10 character who has an attack bonus of +10 with this linked power.
Can then they have 10 ranks in the affliction and 10 ranks in the damage, or would it have to be like 5 ranks in affliction and 5 ranks in damage, which then adds up to 20 with the attack bonus?

So what would be the growth rate for a telekinesis power at PL10? Currently it's at a strength of 1 with no perks and the players wants it to increase in perks and power over time under the GM's discretion. Also limited to ferrous metals.

Linked effects each have their own individual PL limits. Linking effects with different saves is quite good since the enemy needs to roll against an additional full PL effect each round.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

At least 2 ranks or 1rank+1perk per session would be appropriate. Don't worry about outclassing the other players since by session 7 a 11 rank 4 perk magneto power is behind the curve. By session 10 a 16 rank 5 perk power is still behind the curve and probably not even going to et there since most groups die by session 3.

How about it increases by 3 ranks and a perk per session for 3 sessions then scale it back to 1-2 ranks and 0-1 perk per session thereafter? Shorter campaigns are a bitch.

Awww! Thanks friend!

bump

Any resources for 3e PL8 archetypes?

mediafire.com/file/xw6ao5nllqod709/Hero High, Revised Edition (PDF)

I got some of them in there.

Oh hey, not him but I was looking for that. Thanks.

I bought it months ago and occasionally share it on here. No problem.

user asking, thanks

>The existing advantages, skills, and flaws lists in the Hero’s Handbook (popular tutorial for superheroism across all dimensions, buy it now!) are extensive, but teen heroes can put their own youthful spins on the existingnames and descriptions. Mutants & MasterMinds was written by crotchety Old Man Kenson, after all, and is thus lacking in today’s full-flavored hipness.

>This way, Beginner’s Luck becomes “Hey! I saw this thing on TV once!” Contacts & Minions become “Homeboys” or “My Crew,” and Leadership becomes “Yo, listen up!”

I don't know if this is funny or howdoyoudofellowkids.jpg

Does 3rd edition actually make any improvements upon second edition or does it just reorganize things a bit?

Where do I find the rules on powers or super forms with time limits on them and how to factor that into the points cost of things?

From the heroes handbook
>Power Cost = ((base effect costs + extras - flaws) x rank) + flat modifiers
Then look in the description for "alternate form", under "Power effects" in the Powers chapter

Alternate form isn't really time limited by default though, just requires activation.

I suppose you could take "time limited" as a complication, although then it's up to GM fiat when your powers fade.

It adjusts some numbers but it's not like it's a massive complete reworking of the system.

Whether the changes are improvements depends on your own point of view; personally I like some of them but not all of them and some leave me scratching my head (the complete removal of the Device power, replacing it with the Removable flaw, as it wasn't even a rebalancing thing - it costs exactly the same.).

2e had the flaw Fades, the Slow Fade power feat, and the Total Fade extra.

3e looks like it only kept the flaw. Slow Fade decreased the rate at which things faded, while Total Fade makes it so abilities that fade away do it all at once instead of gradually.

Toughness really seems like it sucks. How do you make fights less boring?

By using Linked Afflictions copiously.

Did this a little while back.

Maybe it'll get that stat me thread something worthwhile to talk about.

I also did Zenyatta

And Genji