My LGS just gave me a starter set of these. how fucked am I?

my LGS just gave me a starter set of these. how fucked am I?

No they didn't.

>grav gun
You're good for competitive play now.

Believable. My LGS gives kids 1 or 2 space marines like a drug dealer.

The first hit is free, after all.

Can confirm. I work at a Games Workshop vendor and we have a whole box of those that they shipped us with our inventory. We're supposed to give them out or use them for an event.

I don't work until saturday, but I can send a timestamped picture then.

apologies, they look similar, but the gun is punier id say

ok

You mean they gave you bolters rather than graviton guns.
anyway, you're not fucked as long as you NEVER GO BACK THERE user.

You know exactly you fucked you are... you HAVE to paint them now.

herp de derp.
From the back of almost every BL paperback:
'Join the adventure blah blah blah for about half a page 'Just pop into your local GW store for an introductory game, and we'll even give you your first miniature to paint and take home FOR FREE'
And most of the GW stores I've been in it's not limited to ONE free miniature user, they usually give the kid the entire squad they've just taught him to paint.

Don't listen to him user.
You only need to buy one more thing from them and you have a playable army.
Just a single captain, buy that and you will never need to get anything ever again™

Just pick a chapter you think looks/sounds cool and get to painting. If you like it you like it, if you don't you'll only be down the cost of some paint and if you go to an LGS often you'll be using it for something else eventually anyway.

th-thanks for the replies anons~!

What can I expect from the 40k crowd? Ive spent many years as a MTG loser. Are the players as salty/retarded? Isn't this a more gentlemanly game?

Thank you all for the answers so far

40k is an expensive game.

The playerbase really depends on the locale. Are they super-competetive WAAC players who simply wish to Win At All Costs? Are they players who have a love for fluffy lists, and run armies that may or may not be good, so long as it's fluffy? Are there Tau players?

It all depends, really.

Iirc, 40k is as expensive or cheaper than Magic, as while Magic is relatively cheap, the card pricing, amount of cards needed, and new cards bought all add up, whereas GW is upfront and somewhat honest with you about how pricy their stuff is.

Before painting your marine(s), be sure to research all the chapters available, and whichever one strikes your fancy and like most is the one you should pick!

>Are they super-competetive WAAC players who simply wish to Win At All Costs?
>Are there Tau players?
Why you saying the same thing twice?

Well, some might be Eldar.

Eldar can't bring anything worth worrying about. It's those fucking Ork players you gotta worry about.

One time I had a guy bring TWO 'NAUTS, BOTH FILLED with fuckin' NOBZ. I was tabled turn 2.

>40k is an expensive game.
40k feels expensive if you try to cold-buy into 1850 points. If you buy models over time, it is a lot less than MtG usually.

DO NOT buy too many models at once if you are starting out! You will be discouraged very easily by the mountain of grey plastic.

Start with kill team (200 points, which can be just a handful of elite models) and work your way up, adding units over time.

Also if you are new, look up "Duncan Rhodes" on youtube for painting guides.

>DO NOT buy too many models at once if you are starting out! You will be discouraged very easily by the mountain of grey plastic.

Very much this. I made that mistake when I first started. Took me forever to get it all done

>DO NOT buy too many models at once if you are starting out! You will be discouraged very easily by the mountain of grey plastic.
This user speaks the truth. Do not end up like me.

I play Tau and I'm not cancer. I play fluff over minmax. I run Fire Warrior British Firing Line for Christ's sakes!

You know most of the Tau hate is just banter, right user?

You might've gone overboard there, friend. I'd suggest just grabbing 5 or 10 models at random and just start painting. Little bits like that make what you've got there more manageable by far.

I know a nice FLGS, they do this all the time.

Kid walker in. Here, have a MTG booster, and play a game with a pre-set deck with us!.

Teenager walks in. Hey, wanna see these cool space marines? I'll teach you how to paint.

>check out local GW
>hippy looking owner greets me
>"yeah im thinking about getting into warham-"
>hippy sets about selling me half the store
On a side note, are the GW carrying cases worth it? how do you guys usually cart around your models?

I actually didn't. I've had people legitimately get angry with my in person when they saw my Tau army