/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News:
-New Unearthed Arcana: Bard Colleges: media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf
-Volo's Guide to Monsters out in the trove!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session:

Other urls found in this thread:

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Waukeen
drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWld1g5V0FmcVRhUEE/view
drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlMXNudTBGZzJXR1E/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rate my character idea.

>kobold bard, who gets by on his draconic Charisma, in spite of his terrible singing

>it turns out that he's actually a merchant, who primarily uses his magic to make back shady alley deals, which is why he never seems to have spell slots when there's a battle

>It turns out that he's actually a she, and humans are just shit at telling reptile sexes apart

>it turns out that a surprising number of halflings and gnomes are attracted to reptiles, and her side business has a healthy dose of prostitution

>it turns out that she's actually a warlock, and the deals she's been cutting have been to collect souls for her patron

I want to go a level deeper, but this is where I run out of ideas

I also am fine with taking out level 4 if that would be too weird, this isn't really my magical realm or anything

I know it isn't your magical realm...but it really, really feels like your magical realm.

How would you make a lunatic archmage's magical funhouse for the party to explore?

>mfw a friend of mine wants to do a character cursed with an evil split personality

I ran this for my players not too long ago. Was actually quite fun. You could probably edit it to be a funhouse without much difficulty at all. I was pleasantly surprised at how much it blew their minds.

Really, I promise!

So I've tried running Curse of Strahd before, but the players kept starting side quests with never finishing them and ultimately getting way in over their heads. I'm planning on running it again and using the mists to keep them in areas that are relatively safe for their level. What are some tips for running a fun and solid game of Return to Ravenloft?

>this isn't my magical real or anything
Only because you aren't a DM

only introduce hooks to quests they can handle

The next campaign guide is going to be Planescape, it'll focus almost entirely on Sigil, a city that is laid out like a giant Labyrinth.
Another book that's a rules expansion called something along the lines of X's Universal Survival Guide, this will contain lots of new players options, more mundane items, skills, feats, more hexcrawing/caravan rules and of course spelljammers.

There's lots of reasons why: surveys, interviews, unearthed arcana and hints this what's coming. The new Barbarian primal paths were a big hint on what's to come, especially if you played Planescape: Torment.
Also, the next campaign book is going to be inhouse again, that means there's probably references to it within the core books like Ravenloft was.

More citation needed on the first bit, rather than just been a product of conclusions based on conjecture. Undermountain is also referred to as a labyrinth.

>Also, the next campaign book is going to be inhouse again
Good, frankly speaking, the out-of-house productions were shit compared to the inhouse ones.

Sounds dumb as shit

As long as he becomes an NPC under the DMs control when it surfaces

Let the dumb bastards die

Presumably a Sigil adventure

Is there a Dungeonology scan available? Can't find it anywhere.

Dungeonology is a kid's book with pop-up elements, that has little to do with 5e as a game. It's unlikely that there will ever be a scan of it.

It's a pop-up book user. For children.

Undermountian as campaign guide is very unlikely after the disaster of Out of the Abyss, according to surveys, reviews and adventure league. Groups really hate being trapped underground filled with madness it seems. Hiring the adventure time creator for Undermountian would also be very silly and unnecessary, when WotC has lots and lots of authors capable of writing Forgotten Realms.

Chris Perkins in interviews loves spelljammers and planescape. They probably hired Pendleton Ward to write about the planes with Perkins, he seems the type that would be perfect to write about such a weird place.

Didn't they confirm that they were doing Adventure Time over twitter?

Mind posting all that information? OotA wasn't bad, it's certainly better than a lot of the other 5e adventures.

More Planescape will be excellent however, moreso than more FR.

Going through his Twitter, that was codename Dust, not Labyrinth.

Which could be a Dark Sun (dust = desert) or Eberron (Lords of Dust) adventure.

But you shouldn't go off the codenames anyway, since SKT was "Dagger" and Perkins' interview hints for that were Eberron to a T (pulpy, barbarians, airship).

It's fun to speculate, though. I'd love Planescape, Dark Sun, OR Eberron.

>Which could be a Dark Sun (dust = desert) or Eberron (Lords of Dust) adventure.
So we're either getting Thri-Kreen or Warforged.

Wasn't SKT codenamed Dagger?
Yeah, about those codenames.

>weirdly enough i had a dream about pendletonscape the other night

Holy cow. I actually thought it was a rules-light sourcebook of some kind.

Wow, that looks like almost what I'm looking for! Now I just need a big, complex puzzle for them to solve as they walk through the house.

Dust could equal Dustmen.

so what do we want to see in 5e planescape?

Ive been brewing it myself recently. Ive promoted Spelleaters, Children of the Vine and Ring Givers to full factions, rolling indeps anarchists and chaosmen together ( for now, they will factor heavily into my later acts of the story) And rolling signers and ciphers together. The harmonium is next on the chopping block.

Can we talk about Sodkillers and Sons of Mercy? I need some ideas for this

Not being familiar with the specifics of Planescape, I'd like one product that gives a good rundown of the setting's elements with mechanics updated for 5e. Anything to get into it easily, combined with a suggested reading list of their past products in there.

so how do we fix martial multiclass?
that other guy's idea was dumb as shit and makes no sense on the context of 5e.

That's your own honebrewed PS, but the factions in PS were based on philosophies and schools of thought. Getting them rid of them and merging them willynilly means you don't really understand PS.

They will never feed into all this bullshit you're spouting. They're going to produce a planescape that is marketable and generic. You need to learn to deal with it.

If you run the phrase "the next book is codename dagger" through a cryptographic substitution algorithm that is based of letter frequency, you get the phrase "sde nefs httu lm rtoenace oaiiew" which sounds vaguely German. Now in German, the word 'Dust' is 'Staub' which run through that same cypher comes out as 'msah.' Now that is CLEARLY 'massah' which is the word 'Master' through a heavy accent.

This is clearly a reference to slave. And we know which setting has slaves.

Mystara. That's right, the next sourcebooks is going to be about the salt mines of Boldavia.

What the fuck are you on about?

Give fighters another feature at 5th level so it's not completely dead for multiclassing.

Well, okay then.

I kek'd.

Hyborea...is Conan on Mystara?

>which sounds vaguely german

Everything i've added or modified is set up within the aftermaths of the faction war and moving in sects from outside the cage.

I like the idea that Chaosmen and Anarchists get lumped in with Indeps. They are three flavors of independance.

My custom faction granted abilities sometimes offer a choice, so indeps can cover the three philosophys. The Children of the Vine offer a (mutagenic) rage or the ability to speak druidic and gain a familiar who can use druidcraft. These advance into improved rages or a animal companion or eventual cadre of barbarians.

I've devided the arc of my campaign into 5 sections right now. At the end of the second section and begining of the 4th there will be elections in sigil. The first act will result in the Ring Givers and Harmonium being merged and the Mercykillers splitting and facisim sweeping the cage, and the second act will be the death of a faction of the players choice ( Mercykillers, Minds Eye, Children or Spelleaters) and Chaosmen being given the vote. Coninciding with this will be general heightened chaos in sigil ( Blink doors!) and maybe some sort of Slaad march. Basically the wheel going to shit and rousing out all the really terrible stuff.

Faction War and its aftermath was widely considered to be shit and terrible. Sure if you want to add to it.

I definitely dont like all the factions disbanding or moving into secrecy. The Chaosmen shenanigans will probobly play out like a faction war ( It will be the anarch's fault of course) but factions all fleeing/disbanding will be the bad end. If i throw enough aboleths and headcrabs my players might take enough agency upon themselves to split the Signers and Ciphers back up again.

No philosophy deleted, just a few added.

Ring Givers are the pusified masses. Middle Voters.

Children of the Vine are the drunks and stoners of the world, controlled and weaponized by a militant druid sect who wants society to crumble

Spelleaters/incantificers i need to expand the lore on or just research further. They are mentioned in a number of source books though.

I'm not trying to go full retard with the lore here, I'm not elevating the cult of the lady to a full faction lol

truly awful in every way

What so you're just going to be a warlock pretending to be a merchant pretending to be a bard why not just pick one of those 3 things

i agree its truly awful but im pretty sure they are rolling straight lock its just layers of story on top of that.

What are your thoughts on Storm King's Thunder?

I'm thinking of DMing it for a group that never played D&D. I have little experience DMing, most of it, in homebrew settings.

How well do Paladin and Barbarian multiclass?

On the one hand, not being able to cast spells while raging means some of your smiting spells are off-limits then.

On the other hand, raging is great defensively and Reckless Attack lets you crit-fish twice as efficiently.

But then again, you'll have fewer spell slots for those smites.

But, since you won't be casting spells while raging, all of your spell slots are good for nothing but smiting while raging.

So it's probably okay, but I wouldn't dib too deep into Barbarian if you do.

Pretty well if you plan on just smiting and being a meatshield but you miss out on consecration spells, rage and aura is ultimate tank mode though.

Gnome, ancients oath and bear totem would be total overkill.

You're gonna need at least these before racial adjustments:
>STR 14 DEX 14 CON 14 CHA 13

You're gonna want to go Paladin > Barbarian, because the paladin's lower levels give you nothing really useful that isn't tied to the class level. Barbarian is simply the better dip. You're also stuck with medium armor, so you'll need that DEX 14. You won't be able to cast, so smite all day, every day.

Rage-Reckless Attack/Vow of Enmity-GWM-Smite work like a charm in dealing lots of damage.

And don't forget, if you multiclass any number of levels into barbarian, you character is a full-combat character, with very little usefulness in anything else but fighting.

Unless you multiclass into it from rogue or something.

Why would you need dex?

They don't have alignment restrictions anymore?

Alignment means jack and shit in 5e. There's one spell that I know of that cares about alignment (Glyph of Warding), and sometimes there are magic items that care about them, but that's it.

nope, the only class related restrictions are for bladesinger (elf) and battlerager (dwarf)

i tried to say that the only restrictions are racial but i'm retarded

>The one thing you've done that I like is making it so asi features happen automatically.
Yeah, that seemed like something that should happen, for sure.

>Take that and make extra attack features stack and that's all the fixing multiclassing needs.
While that would be an improvement over the default, I'm not convinced it goes far enough.

>Your motivations are stupid.
>Extra attack is discrete, but so are most class level features.
I'd personally rather continuous scaling, rather than large discrete chunks, where damage is concerned. I see it like the inverse of hp, rather than "just another class feature".

>Your Math is off
Oh? I tweaked the spreadsheet that was shared yesterday to calculate the numbers. Ah! It was counting Action Surge in the calculations for fighters by default and I didn't realize it.

Is it only off for fighter, or do you also see something wrong with the others?

>I haven't even touched on monk
I haven't spent as much time on monk as on the others. I'll go through it again and double-check the math. Thanks!

If you get more than two extra attack features from different classes, you can use a bonus action to attack with disadvantage; if you're two weapon Attacking this attack doesn't use your Bonus Action but can only be used once per round.

If you get more than three extra attack features from different classes, you can use your reaction to make another attack with disadvantage; if you're two weapon Attacking this attack doesn't use your Reaction but can only be used once per round.

Done. Keeps in line the action economy, you really have to dedicate your turn to attacking a lot.

--OR--

If you get another Extra attack feature, increase your critical hit range by 1(19-20) with weapons.
Surprisingly good damage DPR wise and doesn't break the game, also makes non-assassin critical focused characters possible.

Nah you made sense.

evidently he didnt like my idea of multiclassable gradual damage increases rather than nonstacking discrete chunks of damage slapped on after several levels of nothing.

my idea needs polish, for sure, and it is probably too fiddly compared to the rest, given that its a flat damage add, which can be broken up.

but it stacks between multiclasses, level by level. thats the main goal there.

well see what i can do with it.

thats fucking terrible. in what way is that a reasonable alternative to fighter?

Any decent Paladin/Bard builds?

So I was looking at some stuff in the PHB and noticed "Waukeen, goddess of trade," and felt the idea of a Cleric of Economics would be kinda hilarious to run one day. My main question though is how? I was thinking Dwarf Cleric, Domain of Wisdom, but the main issue is how would he act? I'm guessing he would travel the world, partaking in trade and settling trade disputes?

>Domain of Wisdom

knowledge domain, you realised that adventuring was the best way to find the rarer items and materials and waukeen's guidance could help you make better trade deals

from the forgotten realms wiki: forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Waukeen

>Her portfolio included everything related to commerce and the accumulation of wealth through free and fair trade, as well as the beneficial use of wealth to improve civilization.

maybe the character invests in the local economy, or helps the disenfranchised

or there's this
>Waukeen was also the goddess of illicit trade

so you could play a trickery domain to play as someone who will get their wealth via any means, legal or otherwise

but if that doesn't seem appropriate i'm sure there's a trade domain homebrew out there

I remember the Free Market Paladin, but I don't think that quite counts.

>Free Market Paladin
Still one of the dumbest ideas this game has spawned

Please tell me that's not a thing. Where is that ridiculousness from?

Oh shit I have it downloaded. Was gonna link the Skulker paladin for the link but here we go.

the same person also made a common man paladin

common man:drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWld1g5V0FmcVRhUEE/view
free commerce:drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlMXNudTBGZzJXR1E/view

homebrew

>Oath tenet: Life
>The right of all living beings to remain alive, as long as they are interested in participating honestly and justly in the market, shall not be infringed upon. It is harmful for the market to kill without sufficient reason
>paladin encounters isolated tribes not interested in free market economy
>paladin slaughters them and sells the land for profit
sociopath paladins, ho!

>mfw the oath is NAP

How do I become a god wizard in 5e? Artificer from Eberron UA seem close enough (with the ability to create a scroll of any spell you have written in your book during short rest). But is there a better way to change my spell depend on situation?

Halfling wizard Divination school, with the Lucky feat.

Have fun being co-DM.

Capitalism Ho

FTFY.

Do any monsters have any feats?

I seen this build floating around /5eg/ for awhile. How do you actually use it? Do you use Lucky to force a reroll then use Portent to replacing the new roll?

i don't think so, some do get minor class features such as devils getting, you guessed it, devil's sight from warlock (although you could say they got it from the devils).

mostly they get potion or spell effects rather than feats

Simple.
Superiority dice and maneouvers for all martials.
Number of superiority dice is dependent on either Str or Dex mod.
Each martial learns two maneouvers.
Superiority die progression is d8, d10, d12, 2d6 in four martial level intervals.
When MCing learn 1 more maneouver and use higher superiority die.
Battle master gets a free (no cost) maneouver each time they get their subclass feature.

You basically can made an array of four dice to pick from if you spend two luck points, but you can only pick two of the dice. Save 1s in the array, you can choose to reroll them while they're in the array.

Basically you can give people your luck points.

My GM has this weird system where he forces us to pick 2 attribute increase and 1 feat at every ASI.

But looking at my non-combat Bard, what exactly makes sense to choose? It is pretty much just a waifu-support bard who does nothing but buff or debuff in combat, so few feats actually seems to be "good".

I am leaning on just picking feats that also increases an attribute I want, but that just feels a bit... wasteful.

Are there any cities with any sort of Goblin population, or that would tolerate Goblins living within its walls?

Alternatively; what would be a good, believable way to have my Goblin PC be resident in a city for a good number of years?

No.
Make one up.

actor for general bardic things as well as the +1 CHA or war caster for the advantage on concentration saves which is really nice if you're trying to keep buffs/debuffs up

Depends on the setting.

Wouldn't forgoing Halfling bit and go for Variant Human would be better for the build?

Bonus to INT. Lucky at 1st level. ASI to INT at level 4. Able to reroll 1 is nice, but not really that useful when you have Lucky.

Not sure I understand. When do you use lucky? After replacing the roll with Portent??

5E Faerun as written

Don't use the dpr spreadsheet. It is riddled with flaws, and the guy maintaining it is a moron.

Just go to anydice.com and enter the dice rolls you want to calculate the mean for.

Portent isn't an attack roll, ability check or saving throw though. You can't actually use Lucky on start-of-the-day Portent roll.

Actor is a good choice, and took that for my first increase. Now I am at my second one.

War caster... actually doesn't seem half bad. Huh, I pretty much just skipped it because War Caster on a non-combat support seemed completely stupid, but I missed the advantage on concentration checks.

Might just go with that, if only because there doesn't seem to be much else outside of additional attribute increases.

Technically it is an attack roll, ability check or saving throw. It's just in limbo land.

The point of the build is to get as many rerolls as possible

that's basically just handing the DM the dick with which to fuck you over.

But that is the point. It is a no tag limbo roll when you did it at the start of the day, so you can't use lucky on it.

How much XP is a level 5 Wizard (necro) worth if the PC´s defeat him?

I had an issue like the a while back.

At first, I just calculated it based on the Necromancer. But then I got into the skeleton minions.

They are technically just a part of his kit... you wouldn't give additional experience for killing someone depending kn the amount of fireballs he threw out during a combat, but on the other hand, the skeletons were an actual threat, and it took a lot of preparation from his part to make these minions.

So... I don't know. I ended up giving additional experience for each additional skeleton, but that's probably not the right way to do it.