Gurpsgen

The thread is dead
long live the thread!

Question of the thread:
What is the weirdest character you have made?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!itZkGKbZ!EjI1UC3dn7cnvTE2-Gqxsg
discord.gg/pez8U4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it just me who has a much more positive view of the vanilla magic system after having tried Sorcery and RPM?

RPM
>Requires constant GM supervision and mother may I rule applications
>Way too many fucking rolls to cast spells

Sorcery
>Breaks laughably easy by getting 50:ish points that are hardcore improvise-able combined with a high willpower score

Vanilla
>Predictable spells. Requires minimal GM intervention to work and you see what you get

"No sir, that's not how I was raised"

Thomas Smith [160]

Basic Attributes [70]
ST 11 [10], DX 11 [20], IQ 11 [20], HT 12 [20]

Secondary Attributes [15]
HP 11 [0], Will 13 [10], Per 12 [5], FP 12 [0].
Basic Speed 5.75 [0], Basic Move 5 [0], Dodge 9, Parry 10 (Brawling), Damage: 1d-1 Thrust / 1d+1 Swing

Height: 6' Weight: 180 lbs., Age: 29, Appearance: Attractive, Coordination: Right Handed.
Languages: English (Native) [0], Culture: Western, Tech Level: 7

Advantages [47]
Absolute Direction [5], Appearance (Attractive) [4], Combat Reflexes [15], Common Sense (Reliable 2, +10%) [11], Fearlessness [2], Fit [5], Rapid Healing [5]

Disadvantages [-28]
Code of Honor (Gentleman's) [-10], Low TL (TL7) [-5], Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10], Unnatural Features 3 (Monochrome Body) [-3]

Perks [3]
Classic Features (All-American), Good with Kids, Honest Face

Quirks [-5]
Broad-Minded, Doesn't use drugs, Humble, Responsive, Vow (Assist those who's vehicle is broken down on the side of the road)

Skills [60]
Brawling 12 [DX/Easy, 2], Carpentry 13 [IQ/Easy, 4], Detect Lies 11 [Per/Hard, 2], Diplomacy 11 [IQ/Hard, 4], Driving/TL7 (Automobile) 13 [DX/Average, 8], Farming/TL7 12 [IQ/Average, 4], Hiking 13 [HT/Average, 4], Guns/TL7 (Pistol) 13 [DX/Easy, 4], Guns/TL7 (Rifle) 13 [DX/Easy, 4] , Mechanic/TL7 (Automobile) 12 [IQ/Average, 4] , Navigation/TL7 (Land) 12/15 with Absolute Direction [IQ/Average, 4], Running 13 [HT/Average, 4], Soldier/TL7 (Army) 12 [IQ/Average, 4], Sports (Baseball) 12 [DX/Average, 4], Throwing 12 [DX/Average, 4]

Name: Thomas Smith

Race: Human, North American (United States)

Nature of Abilities: Fairly average man that was formerly a soldier in World War II, with quite a bit of rural experience.

Backstory: In the 1950's, there was a popular TV series called Mr. Smith Comes Home, showing the life of a Thomas Smith that returned home from the war to live with his family on a tall hill in the Flint Hills. Having learned important life lessons, as well as becoming a man during his ordeals, he sets out to help others around the city of Manhattan, Kansas, getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures along the way.

Then, one day, the accident happened...

Essentially a man with a solid moral core based on family values that looks like he was lifted directly out of a 1950's TV set (monochrome color scheme and all), Tom is largely out of place in the hustle and bustle of a colorful yet distant world nearly sixty years later. However, he still does the best he can to lighten everyone else's load while he finds a way back home.

Tom stands at six feet tall, with light brown hair parted at the side and hazel eyes (nearly entirely green) that accentuate his indescribably American looks. He has a slightly above-average build reflected by his time in the Army and time on the farm. His accent is still very Midwestern, but it also has been somewhat colored by his experiences in Europe.

That's pretty average character.

In terms of statistics? Perhaps.

I do not see too many characters who are literally pulled out of a fictional television show while also retaining their monochrome features, however.

Does anybody have the official GURPS vehicle builder?

You tell us he has brown hair and nearly green eyes, doesn't sound much monochrome.

Away from my books so I can't check, but could somebody remind me: Is there a way to trade accuracy for damage, besides aiming at vulnerable parts? Like -2 on effective skill giving +1 damage or something.

telegraphed + all out: strong

I think it kinda speaks to this in the building techniques section of Martial Arts. That usually means you gotta have a secret technique perk before even attempting it or buying it up though I think.

Options and freedom from Sorcery and RPM do come at the cost of requiring more GM work.

Magic as discreet skills works pretty well for allowing magic with minimal GM intervention and I have a soft spot for them. I like systems where magic requires careful study for every effect you can create, not cart blanch to pull whatever effect you want out of thin air.

A person cursed to turn into a wolf. Not a werewolf, just a big damn wolf with no way back without finding a cure. Pretty fun to play, with a rather different set of powers then most characters.

A magical, intelligent sword. It projects the form of a powerful warrior to wield it.

Kinda, but that's the point? RPM requires constant supervision and a trust in that what is being attempted is at least reasonable. This is true. On the other hand, you're also welcome to try these things that you are trying to do whereas with the normal system you're casting one specific spell for one specific purpose at one time with no variation, and it doesn't really feel magical.

It depends on the gaming style. I wouldn't use RPM for a dungen-crawl murderfest where I need specific outcomes for specific skills. That would be madness.

On the other hand, I wouldn't use the basic system for a long-term political campaign where players are supposed to have freedom to do things.

>Whats the weirdest character you have ever made
Not my character but I helped make it
Garmen the Rape Chair, a literal sapient chair that rapes people.

That would be how he normally looks to himself. However, early 1950s television being what it was...

>Garmen the Rape Chair

How does David Pulver keep getting in here?

>I know what you're thinking. "Is this chair REALLY going to rape me? Its name is GARMEN THE RAPE CHAIR?" Well I'll let you in on a secret.."
>Yes.

Alice in Sexland is a classic.

How did I miss this thread

How do you fuck up "GURPS general"?

I've posted it here before but here's the character sheet.

>forced entry

I mean, you probably aren't the only one, but you're definitely part of a minority. And I'd say there's a good reason for that. Vanilla magic is the least GURPS-y magic system of them.

It's rigid. Limited to specific spells with no out-of-the-box customization or ability to improvise.

The sort of people who are likely to get into GURPS are the sort of people who're likely to gravitate toward Sorcery or RPM. People who want the flexibility to do anything and everything and not be tied down by a specific list of options, without worrying about how complex or breakable things are, because they can handle it.

I like the need to plan ahead, from character creation, if you want to be able to use flexible options to solve problems magically. You can't just spend 5 minutes whipping up a ritual.. if you want to be able to Shape Stone you've got to invest in it. People can learn what magic you are good at and plan to counter it.

>Cannot speak
>Disturbing voice
We should keep this sheet. As an example of what you can do, but shouldn't do.

Well a GURPS game I was playing on Roll20 got canceled. The people were actually cool and the game world seemed interesting. We've only made it to session 0.

It's really disappointing when the group talks about what they're going to do in the game, and spends all week before session 0 discussing their characters and how their characters are going to be and this and that, only to have it all come crashing down before session 1.

Also: does anyone need any players? for anything? Even for a oneshot or something?

Which game?

There will never be any GURPS games, user

TFW no Merc 2000 GURPS game to be Rhodesian as fuck in

I-it's okay, shit happens, user. I hope you'll find a good group.

What happened, did the GM back out? One of you ask for his notes or something and take his place.

Wait, this isn't the image I was posting!

Like what was the game on roll20 called? I believe the GM called it Homebound. We were going to play some WWII brits that got transported to a fantasy world

Problem is, there's a game being hosted by a guy who was denied entry into our game because his character was silly edge. But he's running a 50 point 40 disadvantage limit TL3 game so I don't want into that shit.

Yeah the GM backed out and I don't think he would like to share his notes. His world, from the sound of it, seemed pretty expansive.

You sorta do need to plan ahead with RPM, just not as much from character creation. Besides the existence of paths and ritual mastery, there's the fact that your most powerful spells will be prepared ahead of time and hung or made as charms with help from a grimoire, or a place of power.

Particularly if you aren't an adept, planning ahead is at the core of using RPM effectively.

Meanwhile, though Sorcery allows for some imrpovisation, your most powerful and consistent spells will be as static as that of a vanilla mage. Moreso since they're more expensive, even.

Nothing's lost from asking, better to at least try to salvage the game than to just let it die. Otherwise, since you've got a group of people interested in playing GURPS whose schedules match up you can try running something else. Maybe even a similar setting with similar characters.

Yeah that's true. I wouldn't mind GMing. *puts on "forever GM" hat*

I'm considering making a kind of monk/priest from a not!Japanese-slash-generic-Asian-amalgam setting.

I want to focus on healing and IQ based stuff, but is there any way to have functional martial arts without paying to much or it being a waste of points? I don't need to break dragons with it, just to be able to walk away from a mugging the victor.

100/-50 points

Get Staff to 12 or 14, take the Healer Talent a few times, bump IQ up by 1 or 2. Don't bother with Karate or Judo, they require too many points to be worth it for a nerd.

So I cut out the official combat cards to use with Roll20's card deck thingy. I supposed they could also be used with Tabletop Simulator or just given to the players.

mega.nz/#F!itZkGKbZ!EjI1UC3dn7cnvTE2-Gqxsg

Thanks, staff may be the better way to go.

Though it's making me consider making him more a fighter/martial artist to start, with minimalist healing but going towards that direction with XP.

Go for Judo if that's where you're heading. Read Martial Arts. Pump up your defenses, get good skill levels with your techniques and break bones while being fucking invincible. Karate is good if you have a lot more points to play with, Judo is the true cost-effective melee unarmed skill.

sentient TL6 electromechanical supercomputer. trapped in its building complex but able to send preprogrammed drones anywhere within the campaign area.

obsession: drive computer science further so it could travel around under its own power and develop sight. Desperate to make a pilgrimage to Charle's Babbage's grave.

RPM, page 28
>For Choose the Skill (pp. 19-20), use the better of Alchemy or the lowest Path skill involved!
Does it means I don't really need any skills besides Alchemy if I only want to make elixirs?

Welcome back, thread.

I've asked/been asked to take part in a one on one game of "realistic" mecha, ayys, and demons in the 1980s. As the sole player, I'm a freelance mercenary with my own mech and support team. The GM is totally new, which brings me to a couple questions.

>What's a reasonable point value for the pilot in something like this, given that they have to also be able to acceptably perform socially and in out of mech combat? The mech template came out to about 1600pts bare, for reference, but since I have to take one for myself it's not an Ally to me.
>What would be the best way to augment my mobility on foot in a situation like this (TL7. 5ish)? Sure, I can take mechs out with heavy weapons... But if I'm gomna *steal* one, I gotta get close. Titanfall is an inspiration for both of us.
>Pointers for a new GM and only theoretically experienced player?

Correct.

I'd say around 200 to 250 points. Solo games mean one person needs to bring decent levels in every skill that will come up and you mentioned that you plan to fight 'mechs on foot, something that says to me that you need to be damn tough.

>TL 7 mobility

Uh.. motorcycle? Maybe a harpoon gun and wench to pull in the line, for crazyness, though the basic Greener-Martin harpoon gun in High Tech has some serious limitations.

Hmm I don't know anything about titanfall but I watched Code Geass.

About 250 points seems reasonable for solo play, mayyyybe up to 275.

As for foot mobility, I'd say steal something out of TL8-9 tech. After all you have mechs which are more advanced than TL7 (I assume).
In fact, even just having a good amount of points in running, jumping, and climbing would be effective.

On points for you two, the whole thing about GURPS is that its only as rules-heavy as you make it. If neither of you know a rule that comes up, don't bother looking it up. Let the GM make a call and both of you look it up after the game for future reference.

New Pyramid
>"Anthropomorphized High-Tech Weapons"
and of course it's by David Pulver
>"The best-known depictions of these powers are the mecha musume (mecha girls) that appear in some Japanese anime, games, and Internet memes"

Absolute madman

Bodyless AI, who was basically guardian-spirit of rest of the party with addiction for kinky cybersex and virtual drugs.

W-When will some kind user deliver it to us? It seems to fluctuate between a day and a week.

My body can't wait a week for GURPS KanColle.

I'd take you, but I doubt you speak Russian.

>Alloy Skin: DR 5 (Partial, Legs, -20%; PM, -10%; Can Be Stolen, By Force, -10%) [15].
Jesus Christ, David, do you have no shame?

This is my first legal Pyramid. Let me enjoy superiority of being buyfag for a while.

Poccия, пocлeдний oплoт гypпcфpэндoв пo вceмy миpy.

It is actually in the archive already, but you are an absolute not a good person. Join the ranks of Pulver Fantasy subscribers, and you will be rewarded in your future lives.

It's articles like this that pull me away from dungeon fantasy murderhoboing.

Booбщe-тo я гoвopю. И y мeня тyт цeлaя гpyппa pyccкoязычных игpaчкoв нa жoпe cидит, пoтoмy чтo нaш ГM пpoпaл нeизвecтнo кyдa.

>10 IPs in thread
>4 of them are russians
>включaя мeня
Please stop, I specifically came to Veeky Forums to practice english with native speakers.

Literally OUR GUY

Your DM could be me, you know. I too have a nasty habit of dissappearing due to "family reasons".

>native speakers
>implying

ロシア人、気おつけろ!グルプスゲネラルは我々のウェーブ達のターフだぞ!

Use pdf related and invention rules to make spells. Spells can't me made on the fly. Problem solved.

Feel free to practice, user.

I've GMed dozens campaigns with native speakers in the past, and never I was asked about my pronunciation. In fact, I am typically assumed to be from California based on my accent. I've been living in Russia for my entire life.

私は日本語を練習する必要がある..

The snake-thingy article is pretty good as well. And I just finished my "Against the Cult of the Reptile God" conversion campaign, shame on the timing. The athor is really growing on me, I liked his technomystic article earlier this year.

How would one deal with GiTS style full cyborg durability? I'm still relatively new to the system - my best guess was an incredibly high HP pool but some sort of weakpoint damage that guarantees a shot to the brain kills the character (or at least does enough damage to be like an actual strike to the brain). Would Hard to Kill or anything else fit better? It's not like the body is strong or armored, it's just a machine - punching a hole in it doesn't do anything unless you hit a vital component

If you go to GURPS Ultratech, they give some advice on how to handle fullbody cyborgs.

But basically you can model them as if they got a machine meta-trait. That means they got Injury Tolerance (No Blood, Unliving). You can put a partial limitation on unliving (doesn't apply to brain, -5%). Increased DR, weight, HP and ST are also appropriate.

>ターフ
Can't those Nips use their own words for five seconds?

Also, why is 961 written on the car with a 765 idol on it?

Thanks for the input, guys. Gonna run it past the GM, see if there's anything high-tech that's scaled down enough to use as a personal mobility suit. Otherwise, we're investing in a surplus Solothurn and taking out some joints.

>Can Be Stolen, By Force

hot.
Maybe it's time to run some more Weird War 2.

>200 point character
>Ally worth 25% of my points: 1 point
>Group of 100 000: x30
>Always shows up: x4
>Minion: +50%
>100 000 shitty 50 point minions for 180 points
Too bad no sane GM will let me run a crappy Necromancer with 100 000 shitty skeletons.

>Stargate 1888 tonight
>recruited players from Veeky Forums
>can't post plot/setting discussion on Veeky Forums for ideas or suggestions
>tapped friends for help, they are fine, but not a full community of gamers to draw upon
>this is suffering
I'm sure the game will be fine, but I cant help but feel like I'm missing a big toolbox here...

Go to the GURPS discord m8

GURPS: letting you steal the armor plated panties from anthropomorphized warship girls since 2016

There is bunch of Veeky Forums posters on gurps server, though.

6 degrees of Kevin Bacon later, if I discuss the metaphor or setting with a tg related resource, it gets back to the players.

My paranoia abounds.

Which, I realize now is an odd way to put it. I'm not paranoid that they'll metagamed. I'm not scared of them ruining my super secret plot. I just want to keep the veil up as long as possible, right?

what's the link for the discord?

discord.gg/pez8U4s

>strap-on and hand weapons
Pulver needs to watch his wording

Why didnt anyone tell me about this shit before ?!?!

Maybe we should add the link to the OP PDF?

Reminder it is a semi-official discord that doesn't know about the burmese marionette iconograph exchange, so do not ask or bring up pirated material.

We allude to the fact that some of us are from a Taiwanese bunraku puppet board, but try to keep it on the DL

Guys please help

I've started reading GURPS books and now I can't stop

Start reading Wikipedia.

Don't worry, you will soon progress to phase two and make characters, while being unable to stop.

Anyone still play Gurps Transhuman space?

>when you open GCA for the first time

I certainly *want* to play it.

Took me a while to realize it was drag and drop, not doubleclick

Perhaps I should dust off the old campaign, even if I would have to reread 4th edition to GM it.

God shit gets so liberating when you just go free fall and decide to dump some of the point metrics for new powers to hand out and just make them megaperks of Frakenstein powers lashed together to fit whatever you want the PCs to use and alloted at certain points

That's GCS.
GCA is different again.

What's GCA?

GURPS Character Assistant. Old and clunky charsheet tool, with more options than GCS.

Gurps Character Assistant

Anyone taken a stab at converting mage the awakening 2e to GURPS?

GURPS thaumatology, page 188, Syntactic Magic: Realms and Power

Do those come with actual rules?

I am about to run a pulp era campaign centered around smuggling things in a tramp steamer. I definitely want to include operating costs of the ship, maintenance, repairs, upgrades, but I'm having some trouble accounting for all of the generic little costs that that would involve. Does anyone have some advice for how to simply calculate generic maintenance and running costs for vehicles?

This issue is mostly about worldbuilding and some examples of characters/adversaries. No new crunch. High Psi is the most mechanics heavy, but it's adaptation of psi powers to over the top games.

As a rough IRL rule of thumb a working ship requires a comprehensive overhaul every 10 years that cost about 10% of the ship's initial cost.

Routine maintenance will run to about 1% of the ship's initial cost, per year, though it might be as high as 5% in the first year until fully shaken down, then 0.5% or so per year for the next 5-10 years until things start wearing down.

Fueling a steamer is typically a pretty low cost affair, with prices of about $30 per ton being reasonable for fuel grade coal.

Thank you captain obvious. I mean things like gnosis and reach. The arcana can pretty much be used as is.