Last Book

What's a great idea from the last book you read that you want to use for your next character/adventure?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/20525909
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>book

I can't remember the last time I actually read one. I'm gonna go ahead and say Harry Potter, and a vicious reporter who goes on petty vendettas.

>Words of Radiance
I would say the source of all magic being symbiotic pacts with spirits.

So basically Binders from D&D 3.5 Tome of Magic.

>The Painted Man
I dunno, demons that rise up at night that can only be protected or fought against with ancient magical wards is the whole premise, there's not much else to it.

>capital in the XXI century
You know, shadowrun setting could always become a bit shittier place to live.

The last book I read was Reaper Man, so...

Last book I read was the collected works of HP Lovecraft, the specific story was Shadow over Innsmouth, so... A researcher who wants to find answers that he probably shouldnt, or a person who would be willing to sacrifice his home's humanity for eternal life.

The last book I read was that gay-ass shit by Patrick Rothfuss. It was complete shit, the main character was a worse Mary Sue than Elminster, and the level of extraneous crap was off the chart.

That said, fairy queens making magical items out of moonbeams and shit was alright. I might use that. Not that Rothfuss was the first to come up with it.

>What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper man

Your world's version of death has been locked up/incapacitated/fired/whatever. The new Death is a shit, because he [actually kills; barely does anything;uses souls for some nefarious goal; is nonexistenant]. It's up to the party to deal with this without dying themselves!

I read 'The Name of the Wind' and fucking hated it. Mary Sue protagonist and a plot full of ass pulls.

>Books for fun
I'm still trying to get people to play The Postman: TTRPG.
Or at least make a builder game out of it.

>Textbooks
Since it was about bee-keeping, it would be fun to put bunch of apiarists as quest givers, granting players some honey and mead by the end of it.

>Free The Darkness

I guess making a character who is socially inept...autistic almost. Sounds dumb, but it was interesting watching the protag fuck shit up when fighting, but fail miserably at any social situation. And being unable to pick up on certain social cues made some interesting situations

So acting like half this board I guess

I agree, Kvothe is really Mary Sue. Best part about Name of the Wind tho is the world-building and magic system

>builder game
This is quest-faggotry of higher level

And you mean that postman bullshit with Kevin Costner?

Antinatalism from David Benatar's BNTHB

Last book was probably a web novel. So Endbringers?

I read the second book without knowing there was a first. Really never felt like there needed to be a book about what happened before that, but let me share with you some highlights from the second story:

>Kvothe meets the fairy queen, who's known to sex the soul out of any man she meets. Kvothe breaks her spell with sheer willpower, and simultaneously figures out how to use wind magic, with which he instantly defeats the fairy queen with a single spell.

>He has sex with the fairy queen. This is the first time in his life he has sex, and the thousands of years old fairy queen is so impressed with his sexual prowess that she decides to spare him and give him a free magic item.

>Kvothe goes on a boat. The next segment of text is literally "there was adventures on the boat, including a pirate attack and other cool shit, but I won't bore you with the details". Apparently, this was because his publisher needed him to cut down the story by about 50 pages.

>Kvothe saves a couple of girls from sex slavery, by brutally poisoning and murdering everyone even slightly related to the incident. He brings the girls to a small town (where no one knows him), and when one man has the gall to voice the opinion that maybe it was unwise for the girls to run away from home with a pack of total strangers, Kvothe instantly breaks his arm (because Kvothe earlier mastered super-karate in a single season and won the respect of a tribe of sexually liberated, man-hating super lesbians), and the entire town agrees that it was about time someone broke that guy's arm.

Kvothe also invents a slew of new magical devices, learns a couple new languages, reconnects with that boring-ass love interest who keeps literally cuckolding him, writes some incredibly adolescent poetry (which is of course written out word for word), and generally produces enough newtons of cringe to continually power a small city.

Jesus Christ, Veeky Forums's literature taste just sucks, without any Veeky Forums memes involved.

I did like the parts detailing how 'magical' items were made. Felt like a fantasy machine shop.

> The Name of the Rose

Religion is complicated.

Tabi no Deyou is about a world where everyone is slowly fading out of existence. Over time, all pictures of them,their handwriting, and even memories of them will fade and vanish before the person just disappears entirely one day. The books is about 2 people travelling to see the world before they vanish and I'm definitely stealing the setting.

>Man, Magic, and Mysticism

Why aren't brooms more common as casting implements jesus fuck

I sometimes read fanfiction for dumb fun, if we're talking about belles-lettres - does that count?

Otherwise, I mainly read either textbooks, or documental/historical books for fun nowadays (my last three books were "Salt: A World History", "Empire of Tea", and "Food in Medieval Times" which is the last book I've read).

What kind of shitty fanfiction trash is this? I will never understand how Rothfuss got published.

A dungeon that has been consecrated to a fertility god, forcing creatures trapped in it too long to have trouble considering anything aside from breeding.

Alternatively, a form of government based around each level of government having different powers and each branch having some overlap to ensure the ambitions of men do not run rampant and lead to factions being created in the union as that would inevitably lead to oligarchy or monarchy. Of course this is presuming the intelligent leaders also don't support faction based thinking, and that no branch of government willingly gives up its own power in a way to abdicate its responsibilities, but that would never happen.

Me neither. I only forced my way through it out of sickened fascination.

>Re-reading The Last Wish

Having for once a benovelent religion is great.

The last thing I read was A vore fic involving Pokemon and ritual sacrifices. Really shouldn't use any of that.

Treadle-powered computers.
The Calorie Man was great

Christ, and people call Drizzt a Mary Sue. This guy has him beat in every category.

>Uncle John's Bathroom Reader
I dunno, probably an ancient tome of interesting-but-useless knowledge. Maybe each time someone opens it, I roll to see if they get actually useful information or discover that a lady swallowed a spoon and had to get it surgically removed 20 years later.

user, Drizzt was written 20 years ago or so. Since then, we pushed new boundaries of being Mary Sue almost twofold

>stainless steel rat

In a LN galaxy where compliance and peace has been practically bred into the population, a few rare CN people exist who go around committing crimes largely just for the sake of identity issues.

>stainless steel rat
Isn't actually good. I mean, it's nice dumb fun (especially the first two prequels with The Bishop), but personally I prefer West of Eden.

>the black company
Definitely just putting a straight up bounty on one of the rebel leaders to kill him.

>The Night Land
Really like the dying earth setting. Love the giant flaming pizza-cutter things.

I got finished chewing through the Known Space series, so I want to use that for my next campaign.

Otherwise, ancient megastructures, random physics bullshit, and a sci-fi verse that based itself on stuff that was completely plausible back in the day, refused to change with the times because a few early plots made themselves completely dependent on said stuff, and now bears disclaimers amounting to 'It was correct when I wrote it, and can't go back and re-write it without changing it completely, so just deal with it'.
And where rebuttals to physics nitpicks take up entire novels, and entire novels to correct those, often with the justification of 'X was lying', or 'They just didn't see that bit'.

Not the last I read, but several parts of Tigana tickle my fancy for character building. I'd love to run a campaign where magic requires sacrifice and secrecy

The Lords and Ladies
-How can someone not want to copy those elves ...
-Bestiality Carter as the name for the next NPC peasent

House of Chains(again)
-someday I steal the entire setting ... (never gonna happen)

Mordheim Rulebook
-the story of Marius and Hensel

i love when people blatenly lie about things. the sex fairy had a enitre mythology about her that her sex is so good, but the main dude never had sex before, so he couldnt compare it to anyother sex, so she was pissed, sent him back to mortal realm to fuck a mortal, then come back so she could kill him, but instead he buggered off. the rest is true, it is a bs book

Metro 34

The entire fucking thing is already great for a game.

>Congo
I loved the idea of a monster being terrified by something as mundane as a flashlight, as long as the party wasn't dumb enough to expose that it actually was harmless.

Wow, what a fucking faggot post.

>Kvothe meets the fairy queen, who's known to sex the soul out of any man she meets. Kvothe breaks her spell with sheer willpower, and simultaneously figures out how to use wind magic, with which he instantly defeats the fairy queen with a single spell.
If by sheer willpower, you mean a defined, specific technique he's literally been practicing for a decade, and took hm years to figure out in the first place. Likewise, the wind magic was something he had been working at since the start of the first book, so a book and half is hardly unreasonable for figuring out magic which is difficult, but definitely not unknown in the world. Hell, his hobo teacher who lived out of a cart knew how to do wind magic.

>He has sex with the fairy queen. This is the first time in his life he has sex, and the thousands of years old fairy queen is so impressed with his sexual prowess that she decides to spare him and give him a free magic item.
Literally the opposite of what happened. He wasn't impressed, because he was an awkward nerd-virgin who had never had sex before (this is literally how it is presented, even in his unreliable narrator-o-vision). She also outright says that she would give stuff to anyone else if they endured the sexing for long enough, not to mention that magical stuff is completely mundane to her anyway.

Not a book but after re watching that simpsons episode i'm introducing a secret society that changes completely trite things, and hold a secret that could completely destabilise the nation.

>>Kvothe goes on a boat. The next segment of text is literally "there was adventures on the boat, including a pirate attack and other cool shit, but I won't bore you with the details". Apparently, this was because his publisher needed him to cut down the story by about 50 pages.
>>Kvothe saves a couple of girls from sex slavery, by brutally poisoning and murdering everyone even slightly related to the incident. He brings the girls to a small town (where no one knows him), and when one man has the gall to voice the opinion that maybe it was unwise for the girls to run away from home with a pack of total strangers, Kvothe instantly breaks his arm (because Kvothe earlier mastered super-karate in a single season and won the respect of a tribe of sexually liberated, man-hating super lesbians), and the entire town agrees that it was about time someone broke that guy's arm.

>Kvothe goes on a boat. The next segment of text is literally "there was adventures on the boat, including a pirate attack and other cool shit, but I won't bore you with the details". Apparently, this was because his publisher needed him to cut down the story by about 50 pages.
Agreed, this is bullshit. Same as the skipping of the whole witchcraft trial.

>Kvothe saves a couple of girls from sex slavery, by brutally poisoning and murdering everyone even slightly related to the incident.
Just conveniently ignoring the fact that the sex slavers had just murdered a whole bunch of people too, so literally everyone there was complicit in murder.

Drizzt was never a Mary Sue dumbass. Special Snowflake, yes, but not a Mary Sue.

>The Red Knight

Incorporated some of Ser Gavin's encounter with de Vrailly for my paladin's backstory. Basically a zealous knight taking whatever he wants because he's the best fucking knight around, and my PC gets to eat dirt when he stands up for the weak. Hell, the Galle himself makes for a great villain.

In love with this fantasy series right now, the armor descriptions alone are masterfully done.

I just recently re-read Snow Crash.

If I had to think of something I picked up... an antagonist is more compelling if they show aspects similar to the protagonist.

So, I guess, use bits of the PCs personality and backstory if you want to create a BBEG for them to play off of.

Not exactly earth-shattering.

The last book I read was on Scottish witchcraft, so... Actually sensible inclusion of folk magic? Not that paizo would allow such a thing to exist even in a 3pp fluff splat.

>Culture - Excession

There's the whole bit with people in stasis suits being used as living sculptures, in a very broad meaning of living.
There's also a whole species of slimy, machiavellistic and hilariously faschist octopuses. As a special bonus they also love their women to suffer. They could work as a great replacement for one of the iso standard races in any setting.

>Look to Windward

I'd use behemothaurs.

>Used to read lots of books growing up
>Now only exclusively reads comics
What happened to me?

Anyway

>Resurrection Magic only works because the Dungeon prevent the souls from escaping the body
>Mimics are basically Shellfishes who move from "shell" to "shell"
>Living Armors are actually armors that are controlled by a thin layer of parasites from literally inside the armor

Dungeon Meshi had tons of these

Caster versus Martial infects too many systems. A sensible magic system leads to complaints of op casters and letting martials have magic leads to complaints that casters are useless.

You can retire that meme already, especially when you end up just highlighting how little you know. Folk Magic has appeared in every single edition of D&D.

>timequake
hell if i know what to do with it. Any ideas?

>The Fatal Conceit
Who's up for some microeconomic business adventures?

>The Death of Ivan Ilyich

I'm at a bit of a loss with this one

I'm currently reading ADB's Betrayer the Horus Heresy book.

I'd like to have a character fundementally broken as Angron is. Poor bastard.

I never said he was one, but I've seen Veeky Forums and other websites call him a Mary Sue on several occasions.

Last adventure I ran was basically Roadside Picnic/STALKER meets Metro.

Such is life in the zone.

Only reason I picked it up was because in the introduction to Zelazny's Stainless Steel Leech short story, he mentioned the book as an amusing coincidence.

Overall, "nice dumb fun" summarizes it to a t.

>Nihon-tō
I have literally no idea what could I take from it to the hobby. I read it, because I have to write a dissertation about the artistical styling of tsubas

Patrician taste.

>Musashi

I honestly don't know what I could pull from that for a character. Just a fighter who travels around looking to challenge people? I dunno?

Recent reading includes
>Montaillou
>The Great Cat Massacre
>The Early Medieval Balkans

So pretty much every scrap of it. Secretly heretical local priests simultaneously protecting, blackmailing, and stealing land from members of their community as the inquisition rolls through town to get the shepherds to pay the fucking carnelage already. Shitfaced printer's guilds putting stray cats on trial as part of terroristic threats against their boss's wife. Lawless mountain folk breaking ties between towns and their parent empire before demanding tribute. All that shit.

>Nemesis Games, The Expanse
Flechette turret in the light socket.

Malazan Book of the Fallen: Toll the Hounds

Idea: Chains are a fucking cool motif.

Actual idea: Scholar-witch who practises necromancy, but bargains with the dead rather than binding them

>goodreads.com/book/show/20525909 whole series on a recent reread
Yeah I'm totally picking some NPCs for my supers game from there. Unless I decide to straight up run a game based on it.

>Neurotribes

>More women in tech means more autism in next generation due to increased meeting of recessive genes.

Well, here we are.

That's a very cool tsuba.

The book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe is the best ever set of books for writing adventures- and I say this as a guy who sits in the privileged position of writing for a somewhat tidy living

>Patrick f McManus
>insane idiot woodsman with a penchant for corny jokes and outlandish stories

helllooooo new ranger

>reads Zelazny
My man. Heard the Chronicles of Amber are being made into a tv show?

The Twelfth Serôs War from the Threat from the Sea trilogy.

I've been reading a lot of flintlock fantasy.

I really just want to have a game a little less medieval than most. Instead of delving into a dungeon with plate armor and a longsword, I want to go in with a brace of pistols and a saber.

On one hand, that's great for exposing Zelazny to more people.
On the other hand, I know that they'd butcher any work of his.

>Mfw fa/tg/uys actually read all this shit written for average fa/tg/uy

>Pride and Prejudice
Dowry is wrong, I guess

Really?
> Chronicles of Amber tv series
> American gos tv series
I'm cautiously optimistic.

It could be good if they don't stretch it to who knows how long.
What I want is a Lord of Light series or film. Which is what I am currently rereading, actually.

Recently re-read Moby Dick. Lifted the look of Queequeeg wholesale for my Solar. I regret nothing.

>The Quiet City
>Road by the Quiet City

Top-notch naming conventions.

Last "book" I remember reading: The Cask of Amontillado, or possibly "This Boy: A Memoir of Childhood", so I'm not really sure where to go with it.

>PCs find a weak section of a wall
>If they break through it, they find a skeleton chained to the wall beyond it, with a cask of wine

Brilliant. Wonder how many players would getvthe reference.