How would someone play a campaign similar to something like Bloodborne...

How would someone play a campaign similar to something like Bloodborne? I was thinking maybe Trial of Cthulhu (pulp) would be the most appropriate, but I want to know what Veeky Forums thinks.

Other urls found in this thread:

playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It depends on what about it appeals to you, so what aspect of it would you like to focus on?

Mechanically, GURPS would do a good job. Biggest problem would be how the combat would be a bit slow at the table, but it does allow for the complex, second-by-second strategizing which I feel is pretty important to Soulsborne games.

You just need to find the right options to make it into a Bloodborne game. My books aren't available to me at the moment so I can't bring up to many specific examples, but I can tell you even the basic set on it's own will easily handle dangerous combat against monstruous beasties with complicated trick weapons.

>second-by-second strategizing
if you want this kind of combat then the Fight! system from Burning Wheel comes to mind, the rest of the system doesn't really fit though, does anyone know of a system with similar combat that's maybe a bit more suitable?

>GURPS ...would be a bit slow at the table,
implement the last gasp?

Really slows things down, but it's absolutely appropriate for a any Soulsborne game done in GURPS. I know I'll use those rules if I ever try to run such a thing.

I recommend using Savage Worlds. The Horror Companion may help you out.

The rules and chargen seem pretty fast and simple. Then again, my group leans more toward simpler systems.

I've been dying to play a Bloodborne/Innistrad/Van Helsing/Castlevania inspired cheesy Eastern European game in Hunter: The Vigil. Set it in a vaguely historical (but equally anachronistic) period and have the players be Hunters working together.

Maybe just a set up for a one shot where they all happen to cross paths at the same quiet creepy little village with superstitions and monster troubles, and before the night is through, someone dies or gets kidnapped or the bridge is destroyed and all of them have to solve the mystery before the townsfolk decide to kill the strangers.

Currently running a similar campaign but changing some of the aspects to fall more in line with the Mythos.

I think that frankly you can have a game that has the same tone and themes as Bloodborne, but you can't replicate the feel of it. The combat and action are entirely based on movement and dodging and two fisted action.

I think you can do it, but you have to have a fundamentally different initiative and roll system than more RPGs are set up with.

Turn based combat won't do the job, and random dice rolls don't do the feel of souls games either. What you need is for everyone to roll a pool of dice at the start of the round to create their 'stamina' for the round, and then players and monsters alike spend their stamina to create actions and reactions. So you already know in advance that you are spending enough stamina for this action to succeed. You are not realistically expecting your action to fail on its own, though an enemy might spend stamina to block or dodge. However, what you DON'T know is whether spending that stamina in the first place is a good idea. Every action you take means you limit your options for the rest of the turn, so if you don't want to get squished you need a team mate to bait the monster into lashing out and then dodging away so you can poke them with relative safety.

That's actually a potentially good way of doing it.
Isn't that ORE?

I like the idea of everyone laying their cards on the table, but not necessarily deciding what to do with the dice that are rolled at first.

I've been thinking of doing it using an OSR system, main things that would have to be added would be;

Trick Weapons
Firearms and Hunter's Tools
Rally/Regain system
Parrying/Visceral system
Insight/Beasthood/Frenzy systems

most of these would be pretty easy to implement, only the Parrying/Visceral system seems like it

probably wouldn't directly use Bloodborne's setting though, would probably use a new setting that uses a lot of the same terminology and concepts though

"Visceral"?

I don't play Bloodborne since I don't have a PS4, what's Visceral? In fact, what's Beasthood?
I only found out about Rally from H. Bomberguy's review, and it sounds like such a great concept.

A visceral attack is a counterattack, when you stun someone with a well-timed shot from your gun you have a window in which to perform a visceral attack for increased damage

and beasthood is a stat, it increases the amount of damage you take from frenzy which kind of sucks but it also means that when you use certain items or weapons you can gain a bonus so long as you keep attacking

Only if we can pull shit like this off

bump

Savage World guy again, this time with something constructive to say.

I do like the stamina system user proposes. Maybe starting combat with your full Stamina might be better, and then rolling to see how much you regain per turn? This is pretty system agnostic, and I can see it being used in just about any system.

Savage Worlds uses a standard deck of 54 cards for Initiative (keep the jokers in). From first to last is goes from Aces to Deuces/2's, then if there's a tie it settles with suits from Spades, Hearts, Diamond, then Clubs. The Jokers are special--they're allowed to go in any order they want, with bonuses to their actions.

I'm thinking for Bloodborne, to increasing the Joker effect to the Jacks, Queens, Kings, and Aces. I think that would reflect the unpredictability of combat a bit more. Maybe a hunter seizes an opportunity or intervenes a monster from attacking a party member. And monsters could also do this, maybe even give a boss a second turn in the same round of combat?

Outside this special initiative effect, you can choose to Hold your action. If you want to interrupt an opponent's action, you'd roll Agility and go from the highest roll first.

A player is able to move their Pace (usually 30 feet) and do an action. They can only do one action with one weapon. So for Hunters, they'd be able to fire with their pistols and then use their main hand weapon, with no penalties. You can't repeat an action unless you have another weapon (attack with a melee weapon in each hand). Any repeat actions come with a -2 to each roll after initial use, and I suppose you can chalk that up to getting tired from "losing stamina" in a turn, but it's not perfect. You don't get outright penalties for mashing the attack button in Bloodborne.

I think SW will mesh pretty well with Bloodborne with a few tweaks. Hope this helps!

I dunno about how to run it mechanically, but tonewise I think the key would be no exposition. Nobody knows where the monsters came from, or what they want, or how to get rid of them.

All they have are context clues or found documents. Just give them a shit situation caused by shit beyond reckoning and let them stumble blindly through it.

I'm working up stat-lines for the starting options, I used Bloodborne to make the basic stats but I have 2 more stats than Bloodbourne starts a character with so I have an issue rounding out the table on page 31 in a balanced kind of way.

and because I am crap with statistics I'm using d100 roll under

>Bloodborne/Innistrad/Van Helsing/Castlevania
I happen to have a BloodBorne/lovecraft setting I'm working on.

but the guys at the WoD general said I shouldn't use that system unless I was way Way WAY more familiar with it.

>What you need is for everyone to roll a pool of dice at the start of the round to create their 'stamina' for the round, and then players and monsters alike spend their stamina to create actions and reactions. So you already know in advance that you are spending enough stamina for this action to succeed.
as I understand it, you have just described the system used for "song of Swords"

backstabs and successful parry+ripostes

thats called something else...but thats a mechanic I'm going to try and work into pic related...

slowly but surely, I am working on that...

>I'm thinking for Bloodborne, to increasing the Joker effect to the Jacks, Queens, Kings, and Aces. I think that would reflect the unpredictability of combat a bit more.
or play with a 56 card deck with 4 jokers mark those jokers with suits so there are no controversies of "who goes when"

I'm actually designing my own game with a card-based resolution mechanic that uses hand size to represent Stamina, but it is very far from being done...

I'm really liking this system.

Thank you very much.
If I post this in the /gdg/ thread, would you mind giving me some more detailed feedback so that I can improve upon it :)

I'm not any good at balancing things or I would

Actually works in GURPS - wait/stop hit with a cannon. If weapon is powerful enough shock and knockback will stop the enemy.

Okay so Visceral attacks are what you can pull off if you parry something (read: shoot something in the face just as they start an attack) that does a fuck ton of damage - generally takes 3-4 visceral attacks to kill a boss, and is why bosses that allow parrying on every attack they do are often called "ez" because "parry2win" while the dick hard bosses don't allow you to parry them or only on one attack that they rarely do or do only once during a fight when you knock them down a certain amount of health, and even then the "window" for the parryshot is teeny tiny so the timing is a fucker.

Beasthood is a stat that increases your attack damage if you pop a pill or use one of a few weapons that add beasthood to damage. It's probably the weirdest stat because it's the only stat that is outright ignorable in all but a few very specific builds and yet is thematically super important in the game's story and lore.

>but the guys at the WoD general said I shouldn't use that system unless I was way Way WAY more familiar with it.
That was me, and that's my advice for literally anything.

Ware-beasts! Monsters the try to sell you things! You mean were-
Haven't you made another homebrew? This is pretty fleshed out at this point, though. Could probably use some editing, but I kinda like these ideas.
I may steal them.

I had an idea for a game that used decks of cards instead of handfuls of dice... but I forgot it.

>I may steal them.
go right ahead.

I could use suggestions for page 31 though...trying to limit each build to 80-points this way making a new character is high speed and somewhat easy...lethal systems need quick character creation after all.

>Haven't you made another homebrew?
people get snippy if I claim to have made anything related to Lost Source, even though I did make a lot of the mechanics and a fair few chunks of lore.

>Could probably use some editing
I'll give you 200 internets if you do some of that here...

I've seen your style of notetaking somewhere else, and it wasn't Lost Source (which I've never heard of). A fantasy WoD?

And maybe, but internets aren't worth much, even 200 of them, and I have other things I'm already not doing.

>I've seen your style of notetaking somewhere else,
I tend to pick up projects and drop them again. Lost Source and BloodBrew are just the two that I actually kept my notes for(and didn't lose them when I got laid off)

Man, I loved brainstorming the shit that went into Lost Source. Turning the memes as currency joke into an actual part of the setting is still the smartest thing I've ever come up with that's Veeky Forums related.

>pic
YES, I like those.

>Man, I loved brainstorming the shit that went into Lost Source.
me too, it's a pity stuff like that reaches a critical mass and loses the interest of people whose OC didn't make it in or didn't make it in YET

>Turning the memes as currency joke into an actual part of the setting is still the smartest thing I've ever come up with that's Veeky Forums related.
that was you? kudos...
I might go back in at some point cause I know a way to use source as currency AND exp...copy a thing and it degrades, so you can use the source by experiencing it, or as currency, BUT you cant copy some source material to use as both because running the risk of degrading the source is not worth it compared to the benefit of keeping it intact.

shit I forgot to delete my thread-bump

Man, I really want to run a game like this now, Monotreem. I don't like everything about it, but the core idea of "explore this walled city-state that fell due to eldritch religion and spooky hauntings" is awesome. It makes me want to make my own simple system to handle it.

They're both good shit, glad you're always around to comment on soulsborne threads.

Because of this thread I've been watching Vaati's videos on Bloodborne to better understand the setting (I have no PS4 and I'm broke as fuck).

I've been thinking about a character/story idea that's a sort of merger of Bloodborne and The Witcher (since I've been playing Witcher 2).

Basically a Witcher/Hunter style organization of people who mutate themselves willingly to better hunt monsters, and use the blood of monsters to further strengthen themselves. The idea I've been coming up with is that these Dhampir are using a form of blood magic that allows them to tap into the soul knowledge contained within the blood of monsters to take on aspects of those monsters, the way that Blue Mages do in Final Fantasy. This first mutating ritual might be the result of using the alien blood of an ancient precursor civilization that ascended to Godhod. The Dhampir are believed to be the sons of monsters, taken in by the holy order and tasked with exterminating their brethren, always as large a threat as the monsters themselves.

The actual character/story idea is that becoming a Dhampir is restricted to males, but the main character is transgender, and has used the power of the blood to transform herself into a more comfortable form, and now deals with the prejudice from that choice. The Holy Order cares little for the actual methods or actions the Dhampir take, but even among them there is still room for distrust and refusal to share the forbidden knowledge of monsters that makes their work go smoother. The people of the cities too are prone to fearing deviations from the 'normal' monster hunters.

Hope you're enjoying Vaati's vids. Watching those actually convinced me to buy a PS4 just for this game and get into Soulsborne.

The first thing that comes to mind with the Witcher/Hunter idea are the Vilebloods. The use of the word dhampir brought them to my mind, but this seems like a good idea. They love blood like the Yharnamites but it's in a very different way, like in the Maria boos fight.

There are actually two weapons in Bloodborne that transform the player into a monstrous form. Look up the "Beast Claw" and "Kos Parasite" weapons. Shit is weird, and my BB group decided that willingly using these transformations would automatically lose your sanity.

What blood the dhampir organization decides to experiment with should have varying degrees of success. Messing with the Great Ones or Kin (like Kos or Ebrietas) should probably end up worse than those who infuse themselves with beast blood. I mean, you're screwed either way, just a question of how fast you go insane/full monster. The dhampir who master the ancient/Great One blood should be the grand masters, or at least very rare.

And the organization can get away with this too since they're using orphans, yay!

If I had 300$ to drop, I'd buy the game and a PS4, but I'm poor as heck.

I'm not quite sure how things will work yet, but the ritual that makes you a dhampir will probably involve being infused with magical blood that allows you to use the "vitae" of living creatures. In practice, it's probably going to mean carrying blood vials of monster goop to drink down for mutations.

I hadn't actually thought about them being orphans, though it is a good idea. I had wanted a character to serve as a trainee/love interest that's a cockney teen who idolizes the main character ("Vanessa Helsing" at this point) and wants to be a dhampir themselves. After all, if a male Dhampir can become a woman, maybe a young woman can become a male dhampir. I just like pairing MtF and FtM characters.

I also don't really know anything about Maria, I just use her art for a character on F-list

No problem, man.

Good work on Lost Source, by the way. :)
Looks really comprehensive. I love the NPC's at the end. Daft Punks, heh.

Been noodling around with Dragon Forest today. There is a lot I have yet to incorporate though.

If anybody has suggestions for things I should include, please let me know.

All this talk of dhampirs is making me want to watch Vampire Hunter D again.

>It makes me want to make my own simple system to handle it.
KEEP YOUR NOTES
like for real...I'm working on something to run it with but if you get something worked up that runs smoothly I have ZERO issue with crediting someone else in the document.

>Shit is weird, and my BB group decided that...
what system did you use for your game?
...Data, Data, Data...

KEEP IT UP MAN...IS LOOKING GUD

How would you handle BULLYING from a game mechanic perspective?

No bully!

My idea is some sort of d20 roll under system (since that's similar to d%, but with increments of 5%). Possibly taking inspiration from Dark Heresy and the like, minus a few things about that system I'm not too fond of. The core system is good there, though.

>My idea is some sort of d20 roll under system (since that's similar to d%, but with increments of 5%). Possibly taking inspiration from Dark Heresy and the like, minus a few things about that system I'm not too fond of. The core system is good there, though.
well, if you think about it(and if you have them) you might try a D30 roll under. it fits well with the tendency of a souls game to soft-cap at 30 in any stat(or at least the stats reach the point of diminishing returns at or around 30)

There's a game called symbaroum that uses that system. It's a darker fantasty world where using magic slowly corrupts players and the forest is full of horrible monsters that want to eat you.

It's pretty neat

>what system did you use for your game?

We used Monte Cook's Cypher System, because hey it has a pool mechanic similar to Soulsborne!

Boy was I wrong. In Cypher, when you're trained in a skill, or spend X number of pool points on a roll, it goes down in difficulty. The whole system is made for being easy on the GM which it does very well. Everything is based on a 1-10 scale, then you times that number by three to get the number that players need to roll on d20. PCs apply any appropriate skills, tools, anything that can help in a situation, to see if the difficulty goes down to 0. If it's zero then they auto succeed. If not, they can decide to put in 3 points from a pool to lower the DC, this is called Effort. (Some classes get a discount on Effort.) After the first 3 pts, they can spend another 2 to keep lowering the difficulty. There is a limit tied to your level.

The problem we had was each pool of Might, Speed & Intellect also served as your health. When GM says "roll for Intellect" there are no modifiers, GM just tells you what pool you can spend points from. For most of the Beasts I threw at my party, they mainly focused on Might, since it's the closest thing to HP. But each of the 3 is your overall health, so you don't die until they're all 0. When we realized that spending pool pts also meant spending HP (I had fucked up on how that worked in a past session) we put the e-brake on that shit. No one used Effort because they were essentially spending HP. The Speed pool didn't auto recover like Stamina in the game, and I couldn't figure out a way to do that without breaking the game, so we dropped it.

Overall, a good system for GMing, not a good system for Soulsborne.

>I couldn't figure out a way to do that without breaking the game, so we dropped it.
Isn't there an actual "Regen" trait?

Not that user, but I have $400 to drop, but I'm holding off until I find out whether or not Nioh and Bloodborne play better on the PS4 pro. I platinumed Bloodborne last year on my roommates PS4, to which I owe him an eternal debt of gratitude.

I think they mentioned that Bloodborne will remain mostly the same on the PS4 Pro, to avoid giving an unfair advantage in PvP.
Not 100% sure though.

Think it'll at least fix the frame rate drops?

I haven't really been keeping up with the Pro. I mean, I feel like it should, but I don't actually know how they plan to make it so that one doesn't perform the other.

PS4 Pro?
Also, what's this I've heard about PS4 games now being playable on the PC through streaming?
Or is that just the Playstation Online titles?

PS4 Pro is just an HD update of the PS4 I believe.
As for the PS4 titles available on PC through streaming, I really want that to be true but I feel like it isn't.

I misunderstood. It's only PS3 games.
playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/

Well.
That's still something.
>Want to play Overwatch with friends
>They all play on PC and I run a literal toaster
>Could buy it on PS4 but then stuck with randoms

>The Speed pool didn't auto recover like Stamina in the game, and I couldn't figure out a way to do that without breaking the game, so we dropped it.
ACTUALLY french user came up with a stamina system that kind of works, it's in the bloodbrew .pdf...except its action point based(ewww) that, and it's tied directly to d100 roll under

Wut

>Ctrl+F through rulebook

The closest thing I can find to a regen was a specific item that let you regain 1 pool point per turn, your choice of pool. Limit up to twice the cypher/item's level, which is 1d6+4. It's on page 363 of the book.

Damn, guess I could've implemented something like that, it sounds similar to Arianna's or Adella's blood vials with the gradual regen.

Thank you, I'll check that out!

I'm currently running one in CoC. Not actual Bloodborne but CoC with some ideas from the game.

>KEEP IT UP MAN...IS LOOKING GUD
Thanks!

I have a question for you guys.

Do you think a tabletop version of Bloodborne really needs the same amount of granularity as the video game?
I mean, should I use the scaling grades mechanic for my homebrew?
Or something more particular to the system?

>I mean, should I use the scaling grades mechanic for my homebrew?
not for a tabletop game. leave the improvements to crit damage and as in the souls games, let the weapons increase more through other augs like "heavy" "crystal" "holy" etc.

scaling by stat doesn't translate so well to tabletop environs without too much book-keeping

Got it.

Now do you think I should have separate damage expressions for light (2 card), medium (3 card), and hard (4 card) hits in my game? Or just make it a more consistent x1/x2/x3 multiplier on base damage?

I'm distracted by paracord-based sex-toys.

but I may suggest that certain weapons have special conditions tied to suites or that tie suites based on weapon descriptors like

"heavy"
Clubs count as +2
3x damage on a 3 consecutive card run with clubs only

then again, I only really skimmed the system for salient details

That was sort of my original idea!

>Axes
+2 damage per Spade card

>Hammer
+2 damage per Club card

>Straight Blade
+2 damage per (any) card on sequential hits.

I'd quibble with what suit does what, but yeah.

you might tie the peak crit damage to weapons progression through the upgrades.

I wonder, have you heard of Wild Cards; Sons of the Guns?

I have not. I am looking at it right now though!

Play Ravenloft and add some Delta Green/CoC modules. Done.

eh, I was just reminded of it by thinking about systems that run on cards.

Gotta see if I can use these in my group's next adventure. Could get away with this in various ways.

one thing that helped Lost Source was that we had good drawfags

>no blood symbols anywhere

hmm, I'd never noticed the lack of BLOOD

but people DID point out the inclusion of BRICK

I don't entirely understand this.

supposedly it's a formula for mapping random encounters

post nap thread bump

actually yes

in other news FUCK this new captcha system...

Okay, so damage calculation is on pages 23 and 24. Please let me know what you think!

I had a question on your setting, actually. How much do you plan to develop on the world outside the walls? I'm afraid I'm interested in how the world outside the walls views the one inside.

I was having trouble conceptualizing those beyond the concept of "building to pre WW1 Europe" civilizations are hard sometimes...

and they look over the walls at leagues of forest knowing that the interior of the country was years ahead of the world outside. regularly producing marvels that the people outside have yet to match or duplicate even 50 years later with artisan-works and works of magic and chemistry and fine mechanical design.

basically the continent is a powder keg waiting or it's Archduke Franz Ferdinan equivalent. they fund expeditions in hopes of finding the technology that would win a war and maybe, MAYBE a safe overland route through the country for surprise attacks.

but they also know that every large force that goes in meets an awful end, preyed upon by every kind of horrible thing...small hunter teams bearing academics are the only ones to make it out alive and even that is seldom and they never go very deeply into the country itself

looking at it now

I think the base concept of power keg WW1 works just fine. I do think it would be a decent idea to have a few of the countries named and expanded upon. It gives players something real to imagine outside the walls.

Something like this
>Delereth: notgermany! A stratocracy where all citizens must enlist for 2 years service. Military fatigues are the pinnacle of high fashion

That way, when saying "war were declared" you can set up the two armies against each other. Just my opinion, though.

see, I was having trouble with base concepts...I'm not very widely traveled and I cannot wrap my head fully around culture building sometimes.

shoot some more at me, cause I am a fat ignorant American especially this week of the year...

first gripe,
>or you may have each player bring and draw from their own personal deck...
>page 4
I may just play with some bad people or I may just be like, SUPER SHITTY myself, but I recommend a communal deck and not a personal deck per player.

1.) because people can cheat a shuffle and I feel like they are more likely to do so when they have their own decks
2.) it effects the statistics something fierce

might be that you have a (players deck) consisting of cards the players draw and using 2 standard decks sitting next to a (GM's deck) with one; this also allows the "rolls to be pre-fudged" since the GM can exclude certain cards to NERF the monsters and the players won't need to be aware of the changes

gripe 2
>page 5
you don't seem to have mental stats, I like the idea of having 1 or 2 of those because of SCIENCE but thats a really small gripe...

I don't play with people that would cheat on a shuffle, but I can see how that might be a problem for some. I think that's just a think that would be best left up to the GM's discretion.

Haven't gotten around to updating the stats page. Will have Intelligence, Perception, and Charisma.

>page 6
>The player puts two to four matching cards from their hand into play
why 2-4 cards?
does this mean if I have a handfull of faces I have to spend 2 for a simple task?

>page 7
>word usage mistake(???)
>The game master may also call for other kinds of skills for situations that aren't covered in the rules
>skills=Test???

>taking ten rule
I may have a gripe here cause there is no criteria for when "taking 10" is acceptable. the player may just try and take 10 all the time to cover the fact they have all the 2s and cant really perform right now...

>page 9
this is a personal preference gripe so take it with a grain of salt, but I prefer lists in table format, it makes them easier to read sometimes.

>page 15
what you might look into is a table of references for what all the different keywords mean. I can sort of parse them, but having them in black and white always helps

>I don't play with people that would cheat on a shuffle
what a magical land you live in then...

>Will have Intelligence, Perception, and Charisma.
3 is the magical number...

how many cards do you draw at a time? or is that stat-determined?

>fat ignorant American. Same here! Shamelessly getting ready for that incoming food coma.

Let me see what I can cook up. I'm bad at naming things.

>Zecclus: Zecclan philosophers are among some of the most learned. Headed by their mysterious Raven Queen (who has not been seen in public for some time) they value education over war. They employ a large number of hunters, and an even larger number of spies. They directly oppose the warlike nature of The Iron Pact

>The Iron Pact countries: A conglomerate of countries united under one banner. They have a shady government supposedly ruled by several wealthy men. Rumor has it there is only one. Hunters from these countries tend to be government sanctioned. They are very xenophobic

>Feinland: Sandwiched between The Iron Pact and Zecclus, this small country is torn between the two opposing sides. It is common for political rallies headed by spies to be held daily. The government has not said much on choosing a side, but the people have.

You have to play matching cards to make a test. That's where the resolution mechanic's difficulty comes from.
That means at minimum two cards.
But you might have more than two matching cards in hand. You might want to invest more cards for a more successful test. That necessitates a cap though to keep things more or less bounded.

Bear in mind that this is still really rough, and I have a long ways to go before this will be done...

As for the number of cards you draw at a time, I am still not 100% decided on that.
For now, I'm thinking you draw up to your maximum hand size at the beginning of your turn. And you'll be able to use a minor action to draw an extra card.
If that ends up feeling too easy in playtests, I'll adjust it.

As for cheating, I mostly play with friends and people I know rather than strangers. If someone cheats on a game, I give them a stern talking to. If the problem persists, then I stop playing with them. Simple as that.

you might do a lot of capitalization or emboldening like...
>Before Test: Use this skill as part of another action that requires a test; apply the effect after the test is declared, but before it is played. You may use only one before test skill per action.
>You may use only one Before Test skill per action.
if you bold the words "Before Test" it might be easier to skim for rules checks.

>Same here! Shamelessly getting ready for that incoming food coma
FUCK YEAH CULTURAL HOLIDAYS

>That necessitates a cap
I don't disagree with the cap, just the minimum, but then if you want difficulty then I see the use of a 2 card minimum

>If that ends up feeling too easy in playtests, I'll adjust it.
it might be an idea to tie draws to readiness or speed in combat?

>I mostly play with friends and people I know rather than strangers.
me too...and Card Mechanics exist for a reason. they can shuffle a winning hand from nothing and make it look accidental.

fuck now I want to run a oneshot in that.

>fatigue
I like this
>mana
I like this less.
but then it really just encourages mages to NOT do big fancy strenuous things and use up those precious faces.
>Recharge:Shuffle
like this...it's better than that silly "per-encounter/per-day" BS I see sometimes...

>range
some things might have a minimum range...like a pike or spear?
or an RPG-7, but I doubt that'll pop up...OR WILL IT

>the Detect skill is listed twice...
just saying

>craft with subcategories of "jury rig" "create new" and "draft design" isn't there.
this makes me a sad panda...I like creating things almost as much as I love having minions...

>are there any non-combat skills? or have they just not been implemented yet?

>combat rules
>stamina, readiness
why are there 2 stats for essentially the same thing?
perhaps one can indicate hand size maximum and the other can be "cards drawn per round" this way a character might have to wait out a round making only minor or small actions till their hand-size increases? it might fit better with the Souls feeling of waiting for the right moment to strike...the RIGHT hand or cards to play the finisher attack...and if you make "hand size equals 2x stamina" you can keep more stats in the 0-4 ranges you have...

speaking of, why 0-4?

...then run one and come back to Veeky Forums with a storytime, also notes on system used, issues encountered, and fixes used...

>decks of cards
an italian zombie game used tarots and cards instead of dice. Sine Requie.

>or an RPG-7, but I doubt that'll pop up...OR WILL IT

I do want to implement bombs along with firearms...

>or an RPG-7, but I doubt that'll pop up...OR WILL IT

>this makes me a sad panda...I like creating things almost as much as I love having minions...

>are there any non-combat skills? or have they just not been implemented yet?

I do want to implement crafting and other non-combat skills, but I have yet to get around to it.

>why are there 2 stats for essentially the same thing?
perhaps one can indicate hand size maximum and the other can be "cards drawn per round" this way a character might have to wait out a round making only minor or small actions till their hand-size increases? it might fit better with the Souls feeling of waiting for the right moment to strike...the RIGHT hand or cards to play the finisher attack...and if you make "hand size equals 2x stamina" you can keep more stats in the 0-4 ranges you have...

Stamina is supposed to be maximum hand size, and Readiness is supposed to be for opening hand. Your idea is pretty good though.

>speaking of, why 0-4?
I'm just spitballing placeholder numbers until everything else is in place.

I've heard of this one! I'd love to try it at some point.

>.then run one
Ok let's do it. Since it a one shot I can't give players too much options. nWoD is the one system I'm more familiar with.
So going to add werewolves, vampires and Mythos. Now to think for a oneshot idea, considering one of the players already watched all Bloodborne I can't just steal the ideas from there. hmm.

actually, thats what 四 is working on a souls game system that runs on 4-suit 54 card decks.

>forced movement
seems like a skill effect and seems odd to be in the page and section it's in...
>equipping armor
might take more than one turn dependent on elapsed time during a round...armor mods may help this.

>page 22
>If you weapon has an Accuracy bnus

>determine stat
I have seen a LOT of people bitch and moan about having a To-Hit stat, that very nearly broke Dungeons; the Dragoning in its early days...unless Finesse is a placeholder and some weapons need STR for to-hit instead...

>crazy numbers for criticals
that'll almost certainly need some tweaking. Vitality dependent of course.

>that riposte damage...holy shit

>bad status
that list feels short, but thats a small concern for now since this is still int he formative stages

>graceful creatures
instead of halved damage, you start the damage at 5 or 6 meters of fall instead of 3...calling the difference there as a "landing correctly" cause no matter how you land if you've fallen 200 feet onto identical surfaces you'll still be FUCKED UP, but that's getting into arbitrary maximums.

>I do want to implement bombs along with firearms...
you haven't yet?
DAMN, and shhh, the inventory and equipment section is like, my favorite section of game-systems...don't spoil it for me...

>but I have yet to get around to it.
good something to look forward to.

>Stamina is supposed to be maximum hand size, and Readiness is supposed to be for opening hand.
the difference just seemed insignificant to me...

>I'm just spitballing placeholder numbers until everything else is in place.
maybe 0-7 or 0-10 with char-gen caps at 0-4?

have it be a matter of nightmare realms, or perhaps a professor calls them in as "stout men of good repute, and strong arms" to escort him on a "research expedition" perhaps to an abandoned town, in a forest, on a mountain, in a hole in the bottom of the sea...

I've been working on a system for this now. I've been watching Bloodborne videos and I'm going to take some notes from Monotreem. I like the core idea of a walled off city-state that needs exploring, but don't particularly like the rest of it.

The core system I'm working with is a d20 roll under system, with higher being better. So if your trait is 13, rolling 3 is a success, rolling 10 is better, and rolling 14 is a failure. Some traits will allow for additional rolling an additional die along with the d20, which gets added on after its decided as a success. So 10+4 is a success as if you had rolled 14 and still succeeded. This will probably be how I handle weapons.

I'm going to have my own Action Points system as well, where each character has a store of Action Points that refresh each turn, and allow for the use of more complex maneuvers. I'm probably not going to allow for multiple attacks, though different maneuvers will represent that, as opposed to simply rolling multiple attack dice.

Stronger weapons or more powerful attacks will cost more AP, though I think players will always at least be able to perform *some* action on their turn. If they act without AP, though, it will probably cost Vitality.

now to get to Bloodbrew for a setting document

what do I Credit you as?
cause I am stealing these.

Might as well trip.
I realize that I replied to the person who replied to my original comment, but the thing I'm doing now is only tangentially related to my original comment, and more in line with For the setting itself, I'm probably going to try to make the game allow for different interpretations of events, but my way of handling them is going to be that this citystate is the source of the Dhampir, and beneath the walls are the ruins of an ancient precursor civilization that lived alongside even older semibenevolent cosmic horrors. My nascent ideas are more Evangelion than Lovecraft at the moment, with the notion that humanity as a whole is one of these ancient beings, which are--like the Angels--each a member of a single-entity race. Praying to them offers blessings, as they are sympathetic in nature, but they're also incomprehensible and alien.

The Dhampir were created by using the blood of these alien Gods, and being infused with the pure blood will make you a dhampir. The idea I have for the core "module" or whatever is that the players are people who for whatever reason went into the city to explore what was going on and then wake up, possibly with amnesia, to find that they've been given a transfusion that makes them into dhampir, same as you start Bloodborne.

There will be a heavy focus on dream imagery and metaphors, though instead of the whole dream/waking world dichotomy, the waking world *is* a dream, more or less, and the same as the Great Ones can grant blessings through prayer, they can also bestow curses. The monsters like werewolves and vampires and whatnot are caused by the fitful slumber of these alien gods latching onto the hate and animosity and jealousy of particular people. Basically the traditional reason for people transforming into monsters, but with an added "cosmic horror did it" aspect.