/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News:
-New Unearthed Arcana: Bard Colleges: media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf
-Volo's Guide to Monsters out in the trove!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session: Have you ever played a tabaxi, seen someone play a tabaxi, or used a tabaxi NPC?
What did the tabaxi look like? How catlike was the tabaxi? Do you have any plans to play tabaxi?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/172513/Warden-Class
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you attack with a magic weapon you aren't attuned to, does it still count as magical for overcoming damage resistance?
We once had someone play a catgirl. He was insufferable.

I'm gonna say yes. The weapon is still magic you just can't use its benefits

How do we fix the Remarkable Athlete feature from Champion fighter? It looks a bit underwhelming. I feel like it should add something similar to the 6th level Bear Totem.

what are the conseus on swarms as animal companions? I want to know if it would be reasonable to ask my DM to let me have a swarm of crows(ravens) with my soon to be beast conclave kenku UA ranger.

Mind-control all DMs into not being faggots when it comes to physical checks.

I'd say no, since you only get one animal as a companion. Why not get one giant crow instead of a swarm?

>video and voice required

why would people do this

Clarify that you can make an Athletics check to jump further than your maximum strength mod if you roll well.

It filters out a lot of different kinds of social disorders. You don't want those kinds of people in your game.

Voice I can see for quickness (and it lets you interrupt people to interrupt actions), but video is just dumb.

You get +1 (levels 7 & 8) +2 (9 to 16) or +3 (17+) to initiative.
That's not so bad.

The problem is that champion is assumed to scale like EK and battlemaster do because more attacks = more chances to crit = champion's feature is better. But it isn't.

I suppose they could make it 'you gain half your proficiency modifier to any str, dex or con check or save' and thus allow it to be used on top of proficiency (and expertise if you want a really funky multiclass, can't be much worse than barbarogue).

Then again, that might be too difficult for champion players to understand.

i can tell you that tabaxi are nothing like these chinese cartoons you keep posting

So GMs of 5e, how much do you homebrew your campaigns?

Barely recognizable levels? Straight from the book?

How do you make 4 elements monk not shit? They managed to fix beastmaster with a UA, will they do the same for 4e monk? .

Which is probably for the best. Any fantasy race is going to appeal to *some* perverts, and I'd rather have silly cartoonish cat people who will mostly be played for laughs than animu waifubait that will make any player picking them suspect.

Volos did tabaxi right with them being more animal than anime.

You mean furry cat people.

You mean furries right? They appeal to furries.

I mean, I guess. I meant more along the lines of mechanics, races, classes, monsters being changed rather than a custom world or story.

I fucking never run premade campaigns. Half the fun of tabletop is making shit up.

Video and voice tends to just attract faggots of a different kind.

With all the dinosaurs added in VGM I'm tempted to run a campaign where the PC's become dinosaur hunters and travel the lands hunting down the dinosaurs from MM and VGM. Thoughts?

By accepting you're a zippy punch guy that can cast a couple spells per short rest.

posting again for attention:

I'm going to get the books printed tomorrow but I need a better DMG scan. Anyone have anything better than the 100MB one?

I've found a 800MB PHB and 900MB MM.

personally, dope af

There's a Way of the Four Elements Monk homebrew document that somebody made that adds a ton of options to the class while lowering the cost of everything (by like, 1? to a min of 1)
Gives the subtype a lot more options and less-bad, but it's quite an expansion for a single subtype. And I've no idea the balance.

> (You)
>Just tried pasting a couple pages.
>The text recognition on the PHB is very very bad. It would require a TON of editing.. Doesn't seem worth the time.
>Going to the new thread btw.
Yeah. I expected as much. tried to copy snippets of class features onto a character sheet for convenience the other day, they were all mangled.

it would be very nice to have, I feel, but its definitely more than a simple copy paste job.

You round up, so that's actually +2 (levels 7 to 14) or +3 (15 onwards). I like the idea of half proficiency on top of everything, even if already proficient. That would indeed make them remarkably athletic, even without expertise.

sometimes lots, othertimes just standard table houserules.

You basically need to either lower the costs of all their spells, or give them more ki to work with. That's the main thing holding 4elements back compared to other monks.

Two weapon fighting battle master is a bad idea isn't it

Yes

Inspired by the /pfg/ and OP's pic/question, what races would you consider "waifu based/fodder/sourcing" and are there any that you'd actually allow in your 5e games?

For example, kitsunes, catgirls, lamias/nagas, kobolds, gnolls and orcs all seem to have seen some level of vogue as "Veeky Forums waifus", from my experience.

All races are waifu. Except human

Oh, it's round up?

Honestly, the only thing it's really good for right now is initiative.

Two-weapon-fighting is best on classes that deal extra damage on every hit.
Fighters instead get a bunch of attacks but few extra effects added on, so they work best with GWM/Sharpshooter.

Bladesinger, rogue, paladin, Revised Ranger, Barbarian, Bladelock and others I've neglected to mention have better two-weapon-fighting synergy.

we already did this last thread.

>dont get your players from tg.
>allow all of them.

I want to say thank you to whoever posted the wolfu race last thread. Now I can magical realm all I want

Never allow succubi or anime catgirls because only fucking weirdo waifufags would want to play such a thing.
Don't allow little girls either because then all of a sudden over half of your party is little girls that are being taken care of by the one player who chose to be an adult man.
If you give them an inch they'll take a mile.

How many Medium creatures can fit on a Huge mount?
I'm playing a Druid, and once I'm able to wild shape into CR2, I can turn into a Giant Elk, which is Huge, and I'm wondering how much of the party I could reasonably carry.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing kitsune.

Look at this bara loving faggot.

Enough that weight is probably the limiting factor and not volume.

The pattern seems to be that it's anything that's "human with some animal bits".

>If you give your players an inch they'll take a mile.
Truest thing ever said on Veeky Forums

>Never allow succubi or anime catgirls because only fucking weirdo waifufags would want to play such a thing.
Maybe I just want to have some fun occasionally? God damn, does everything have to be fucking serious?

If that's the case, then a Giant Elk can carry 1140 lbs. worth of party members.
Sounds like I have a new method for getting the melee in faster!

Do you allow little dogboys?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing any cute race. The only people who disagree are people who get upset that nobody took their gritty sword and sorcery campaign seriously enough.

The BBEG in my campaign is coming next session, if things go as straight forward as I assume they will.

Do you guys usually use templates / character sheets for your BBEGs or just create them from scratch?

I've played DnD a long time but this is my first go at GMing so I'm a little lost.

>being taken care of by the one player who chose to be an adult man

Being this player and playing the dad character is my fetish

Gay.

>If you give them an inch they'll take a mile.
Stop playing with assholes and/or try to have an adult conversation with your assholes and kick them out if they keep acting according to their nature

>boy
>posts a girl
disgusting

If they could communicate like rational human beings, they wouldn't put down blanket bans in the first place.

Elves are the only waifu pick in 5e so far. Tabaxi catgirls don't count because those fags are just using it as cover to keep pushing for kawaii anime catgirls.

Ban elves because they're a smut race for perverts.

But my friend(female) likes to play catgirls. Is it still creepy if it's a girl?

She also wanted to play a Gothic lolita one time for a Gothic horror campaign.

I'd suggest using a character sheet, so as to note things such as character flaws and bonds and such, along with a strong definition of what they're good and bad at/their skills.

I wouldn't recommend making them using the PHB.

Honestly, isn't the page in the DMG about creating BBEGs not enough? There's one about evil NPCs, I believe, and 'main villain' such stuff.

I've forgot what was in the room and fucked up the encounter in our last game. What should have been a "hostage/bargain situation" turned into a "roll dice until one side dies".

How do I fix this?

Yeah, the DMG pages are generally enough, I was just seeing if anybody here had alternative or creative methods of going about it.

You do you, because you won't be showing your players the stuff, probably.

>Have you ever played a tabaxi, seen someone play a tabaxi, or used a tabaxi NPC?
>What did the tabaxi look like? How catlike was the tabaxi? Do you have any plans to play tabaxi?

No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.

I mean you get flight, hold person and stone skin without putting a burden on your casters AND without material components.
its not really that bad desu.

How do you handle players who want to multiclass Veeky Forums DMs? I have a player who wants to multiclass into fighter as a sixth level ranger. He wants to continue as a ranged character and play as the Matt Mercer Gunslinger class, which seems fine to me, since he will still stay as a ranged character. My problem lies in that the he doesn't have a reason to do so, that makes sense in the game world. Yes, there is a friendly fighter on the team, but how should I handle them training, how long should it take and whatever else there might be? I just have a hard time making sense of it.

Fighter is "general" enough that you don't need much RP justification for the multiclass, he's just focusing on his martial training over magical for a while. The harder part is how he suddenly has the ability to make guns, unless crafting has been part of his character before.

Ranger multiclassing into fighter is easy to justify. Just say that he's focusing on his more martial training for a while rather than spells. He's spending more time sparring or practicing archery rather than meditating.

Just let him gain a level as a Fighter, per the rules. Justify it retrospectively as him having been watching the Fighter work and having trained with him a little, until now after whatever event gave him the level up it's all clicked for him and he's learned to have a Fighting Style, a Second Wind and one larger hit dice.

Well are guns a normal thing in your setting?

has the character ever used one or expressed interest in one before

if he's just swapping over without any reason it's kinda lame but whatev, not going to break anything

:(

Asked last thread, but didn't get an answer. Is there any alternate archetype or full class build that works to emulate the feel of the Warden from 4e?

I initially looked at the Oath of Ancients Paladin, and that feels a lot more 'chivalric Green Knight' than 'facebeater mini-druid.' I checked out the DM's Guild offerings - there's 4 versions up on there and only one seems workable - it's what I'm using now but I'm wondering if there's been any other stabs at it.

uh ranger?

multi-classed druid fighter? druid ranger? ranger fighter?

I would actually suggest the Storm Barbarian from one of the recent Unearthed Arcanas. You can have lightningbolts shooting off of you while raging or be a living blizzard.

Might be good to go for Druid or Ranger to get a bit of spellcasting, maybe magic initiate for a couple cantrips.

It's hard to get the feel of some of those defender classes quite right.

My friend's running a short campaign tomorrow and I'm playing a wood elf ranger

such a standard class/race combo, how would you guys RP it

I was planning on just being a jumpy as fuck veteran, always getting down on the ground to feel the ground and shit, eating moss and slinking off to scout ahead all the time

I haven't really been satisfied with any homebrew rules I've seen for running a seafaring campaign so I was considering creating my own.

Would anyone be interested in a homebrew write up for running a hex based crawler for a sea campaign? I want to make it more mission based, with rules for different ship sizes, cargo allowances, carrying supplies, hiring crews, and just general voyage planning. There would also be rules for weather, travel and exploring, reputation, and ship to ship combat. Maybe more stuff too.

I have most of it all planned out in my head, with some numbers needing a bit of balancing possibly, I just wanted to know if anyone would be interested in my typing it all out and making it available, and if so anyone know the best way to do so? Would just a google docs converted to a pdf work ok? Anyone have any other sea campaign homebrews they use that I can take a peek at for rules inspiration?

>Storm Barbarian
>Not the Ancestors
While Storm Herald might feel more like a warden, the Ancestral Guardian works much, much better in the gameplay feel of the Warden

Did you guys ever had to retcon? I got myself stuck in a shitty place last session. Was wondering how I could solve it.

Forgot the hostage in the room and just played a classic fight-till-death encounter.

What are the additional races in Volo's and how good are they?

They died(Give your mage some screen time)

They escaped(Go find them)

etc etc. Just think of something a little extra that's believable.

My advice is to take inspiration from the published adventures. They have a lot of interesting villain NPCs with with cool features. Like Rezmir, with Legendary Actions to create darkness and blindsight to see through it, on top of having a really cool sentient sword. The other adventures certainly also have interesting BBEGs.

Ranger has a particular TWF/Bow theme going for it that isn't what I'm after, plus the hunter/beastmaster things aren't what I'm after.

I almost went Druid/Eldritch Knight, but MAD was pretty heavy and all the EK spells are blasty wizard spells, not nature themed.

Yeah, I spotted that Storm Barbarian after we had done the first session and I'd already picked up the DM's Guild Wardens. I made a storm themed Warden so it would have fit well enough.

I'm currently using this guy's take on it: dmsguild.com/product/172513/Warden-Class

Retconning is something you should really avoid. Don't even let the players know you messed up (though you probably have, goofball).

There are many ways things may have played out differently if you have any sense of creativity, but if you want advice on specific things that might have happened you'd need to be more specific on the details.

The ranger has developed some deadly new gunfighting techniques that he's ready to test in battle. Fighter? What's a Fighter?

>Autism: The Postening

>Ranger has a particular TWF/Bow theme going for it

No? You could be a greatsword using ranger just the same or a polearm ranger or a shield and spear ranger etc

Rangers don't get the same full list of fighting styles that Fighter does if I recall. I think at best they could go Sword & Board with Dueling, but you'd probably want Protection more for a Warden.

/pfg/ yifffags pls leave

I'm not seeing a 3.5 or a d20 thread, so this is as good a place as any to ask I guess.
Does anyone have any of the old Warcraft RPG books? Specifically the d20 ones, before it became World of Warcraft RPG.

I don't think there should be huge differences, but I figured I'd see if I can find it, for completeness's sake.

Have a Barbarian EK.

Running LMoP. PCs went to the Cragmaw Castle, found the secret entrance. And by chance just entered the room with the dwarf, Bugbear king, doppelgänger and a wolf.

I forgot about the dwarf and just played a whatever encounter where they fought until one side lost. They were going to capture the "drow" but decided not to when they realised it was a doppelgänger. Killed the King very easily.

They searched the room, looted it (I forgot about the map as well), tried taking a short rest but some Hobgoblins dropped by to investigate after hearing a lot of sounds. And that's where I stopped the game.

They thought the doppelgänger was Black Spider. They didn't know who the Bugbear was.

Halve all ki costs, rounded up. You get one more discipline at third level. Water Whip goes back to being a bonus action. Fangs of the Fire Snake is 1 ki point for +5 ft reach and +1d4 fire damage on all unarmed attacks until the end of your turn.

Should make it serviceable and competitive with Open Hand.

Yes, I've got all of the WC RPG and WoW RPG books, both GoogleDrive and HD. Probably the only way I can trick myself into playing 3.5, and definitely some of my best memories of playing DND with friends.

Complete list of races is:
* Goliath (reprint)
* Aasimar
* Kenku
* Lizardfolk
* Triton
* Tabaxi
* Firbolg
* Goblin
* Hobgoblin
* Bugbear
* Kobold
* Orc
* Yuan-ti Pureblood

As for how good they are, they range from suck to stupidly powerful. Some of the highlights:

Yuan-Ti get Magic Resistance, Poison Immunity and a bundle of spell-like abilities.

Bugbears get Str and Dex bonuses, +5ft to reach, and what amounts to a free Backstab attack on the first round of combat if they can get in by surprise.

Hobgoblins get Con and Int boosts, free proficiency with light armor and 2 melee weapons, and the ability to reroll a failed attack, ability score check, or saving throw with a bonus equal to the number of friendlies they can see (max +5).

Kobolds get +2 Dex, -2 Str, are Small, have Sunlight Sensitivity, get Advantage to combat if within 5 feet of an ally, and can "Grovel" once per encounter to force combat disadvantage on all enemies within 10 feet.

Orcs are basically half-orcs with -2 Int and swapping the beefy crit damage and avoid death racial traits with... Powerful Build (+1 size for hauling loads) and Aggressive (can spend a bonus action to move full speed towards an enemy).

>that warden
Well, the creator of it managed to avoid the big fuck-up that I've seen many people do when they misunderstand how the spellcasting feature works.

My only concern is they've just created a class that works MUCH better with dex (22 base AC with 20 dex and 20 con, it's literally a direct upgrade of barbarian's unarmoured defence) and expected people to go strength.
However, I only got to look at the first few pages so I don't know whether or not that's true or not.

I'm too lazy to work out how to pay or not pay to go and judge it like the bastard I am.

>saving throws: constitution, wisdom

Disregard that, it's shit.

All of them? Think you can share? Don't have too much to offer "in return"...

I did play a wrestler monk today, it was pretty fun. 5e though.

That's a boy, and Danganronpa the animation is garbage

Do Tabaxi have barbed penis as a racial trait?

itd get dry quick. i did an island focused on dinosaurs and it was fun but the thrill only lasts so long