Is there any better way to paladin than this, Veeky Forums?

Is there any better way to paladin than this, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jm932Sqwf5E
youtube.com/watch?v=s5uq2VnEJRc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_novels
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Only equal ways.
Like Sam Vimes or Sabriel.
>that moment where the head scientist is monologing about necessity and acceptable sacrifice, then Doomguy looks at a corpse and cracks his knuckles

Doomguy is less of a ....

well y'know what, truth be told, I guess he never really DOES do anything Un-Paladinlike, does he?

He never lies, never cheats, never even sneaks around. Just runs around murderfucking Demons everywhere. Sure, there are his Origins, but it's clear he's been at the redemption thing for some time.

Paladins are equal parts avenging smite-o-matics and beacons of hope and good as I see them.
Doomguy is.. I dont know, some kind of holy avenger class while probably qualified for being a paladin, it isn't quite appropriate.

Don't forget his rigteous anger at the doctor and the ceo over the destruction caused, and him taking action to save the AI. While it's not much, it shows a modicum of good and 'protect the innocent' mindset.

I suppose he hasn't really got much opportunity to do the more wholesome aspects of being a paladin.
There's no comfy adventure hooks for him, he can't exactly help build a new schoolhouse for the children. Because the children are dead and the schoolhouse is filled with demons.
Every day it's demons, demons, demons and even more demons. Occasionally a demon cultist or an evil human working with demons, but mostly demons.

Hope he gets a nice rest and hot meal after he slaughters literally every single demon ever.

Doomguy is totally a symbol of hope. If I were in a shitty situation and I saw Doomguy, I would know that things would get better. Doesn't matter if I'm trapped in some horrible other dimension or just having a really terrible day, seeing Doomguy would absolutely inspire me.

>Hayden tries to convince Doomguy the Mars facility was worth it from a computer monitor
>Doomguy looks at a dead civilian
>Doomguy looks at the moniter
>Doomguy cracks his knuckles
>Doomguy punches the monitor

He remembers the fallen.
He knows your sins.
He is your judgment.
He is your Doom.

Paladin as fuck

Just gonna post this sooner rather than later.

Paladin af

It's still hilarious to me that the Metroid team didn't know what a bounty hunter was when they made Samus and called her one, and then tried to backtrack on that

After millennia of being trapped in Hell, no doubt seeing the rise and fall of numerous worlds and realities that the demons conquered, and only ever showing up in the aftermath, it's no surprise that all Doomguy feels at this point is regret and rage.

Which is why he and Ms. Aran need to spend some bonding time over the subject of mass destruction and enemies that WONT FUCKING DIE.

Yes, he IS a paladin, but not your regular one. He's not a paladin of righteousness and light, holding the torch of hope to rally the good around himself. He's the paladin who forsakes the torch of hope in favor of a burning blade forged from hate and tempered by his rage. He's not the paladin who helps the downtrodden, the one who makes the world a better place. No, he's the paladin who stands between the world and the darkness. He's the paladin who eternally battles the darkness to ensure that the world has the chance to become better, that the downtrodden have the chance to rise. He's the man who drives the darkness back so that others may bring the light that he has forsaken himself of.

Their definition was apparently different. She's closer to a mercenary.

and then smash the shit out of the intercommunicator with said knucles.

he is, Kaldor Draigo done right

He bathed himself in hell to the point that demons looked under their beds just to make sure the doomslayer wasn't there.
and he was there. he always was there.

Also required to post this

>In the First Age
>In the first battle
>When the shadows first lengthened
>One stood
>He chose the path of perpetual torment
>In his ravenous hatred, he found no peace
>And with boiling blood, he scoured the Umbral Planes, seeking vengeance against the Dark Lords who had wronged him
>And those that tasted the bite of his sword named him...
>The Doom Slayer.
-Slayer's Testament I

youtube.com/watch?v=Jm932Sqwf5E

Artist here. I'm not pleased with that pic. I think I'm going to start over.

>Literally devours demonic essence to heal his wounds
>Wears hell-forged armor and a sword fueled by raw hell-energy
>Actively seeks out demonic sigils to make himself stronger
>In short, uses the power of Hell liberally in order to murderfuck Hell in revenge for his world being destroyed
>His implied-to-be-angelic backing outright calls him worse than the demons
The Doomslayer isn't a Paladin. He isn't remotely Holy or Pure or anything like that. He is an unholy, Hell-Fueled engine of retribution and vengeance on the worst of Hell and Man alike. I'm not saying he's not a 'good' person, but a real paladin would have Fallen and died a long time ago, because using the tools of Hell to kill Hell is kind of a thing paladins are Not Allowed To Do.

>He's gonna make it better than it already was

It seems the story always begins with humanity unleashing an ancient evil upon an unprepared earth.

Instead, humans have unleashed an ancient avenger upon an unprepared hell.

You almost have to feel sorry for the demons.

>AN ANCIENT GOOD AWAKENS

Doom 1 Doomguy est Doomguy. None of that pussy ass "using hell to kill hell" stuff. Just a marine and his rifle.

The Doom Slayer is heavily implied - and believed by the fandom - to be Doomguy after getting a whole fuck of a lot of upgrades due to his badassery.

He's almost like a Concordant Killer.

That's what he may have started out with, but now? He's human the same way a Custodes or even the Emperor is human. Yes and no. He was born human, his soul, his heart IS human, but he is also beyond humanity, he has taken the power of Hell and bent it to his will with his rage in order to better destroy it.

>And in his conquest against the blackened souls of the doomed, his prowess was shown.
>In his crusade, the seraphim bestowed upon him terrible power and speed, and with his might he crushed the obsidian pillars of the Blood Temples.
>He set forth without pity upon the beasts of the nine circles.
>Unbreakable, incorruptible, unyielding, the Doom Slayer sought to end the dominion of the dark realm

youtube.com/watch?v=s5uq2VnEJRc

Let's see...

>Blessed by angels
>Crusade against hell
>Tore down their heathen temples
>Incorruptible

He's a fucking paladin.

Exactly. He's lame now. He was way cooler when he was just a guy

>everyone's talking about being a paladin.
>whocareswhentherearedemonstokill

>He's lame now
>He literally spent thousands of years killing so many demons that his body began to change to use Argent Energy
>This somehow makes him lame

he's more into the batman "badass Normal" set up where super powers are for whimps and losers

I prefer Punisher. But I guess.

Yeah, now he's all superpowered. To me it was much cooler when he was just a guy, ripping and tearing with his good old human strength

Concept

My point still stands, and since I can't post the same image twice
"What are you, gay?"

Doomguy himself is not powered by hell energies, it's the suit that does that.
However, even without the suit, he's an absolute badass murder lord. In the opening scene, he rips through heavy iron manacles with his own innate strength, and smashes open the braincase of a demon with one hand.
Doomguy is not one to fuck with.

Face it, having Doomguy kick enough ass that the seraphim say "Holy shit, this guy's hard" is pretty cool.

Wait, it's the SUIT that lets him do that?
Well then shit dude, he's still 12 on a 10 point scale of bad mamma jamma human

I just like to imagine what it must have been like when the Doomguy first met these guys, like the Seraphim.

>Human, we have observed your path of destruction from afar. We are impressed by the righteous fury you bring against the doomspawn.
WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU? FUCK, MY EYES. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT, YOU SHINY, SISSY-VOICED PRICK?
>Your rage has protected you from the powers of corruption. Have you not seen how you have changed at this consumption of argent power? You have not slept in two months.
TWO MONTHS? FUCK, I WAS SO BUSY KILLING DEMONS I DIDN'T NOTICE. SO WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT THEN, EH BUD?
>We have great plans for you, human.

It's unclear. The suit no doubt helps him, but it's an ensemble, you know? A warrior of retribution is greater than each of his parts. The Doom Slayer is flesh, yes, but he's also armor, shotgun, fist, and fury. He's all those things, and more.

Mostly fury.

You know, I'd love to see what their kid would be like.

You know what else's awesome? A fucking demon saw this guy sticking his boot up hell's proverbial ass and thought:

"You know what this guy needs? More of fucking EVERYTHING!"

And the praetor suit was born.

And hell was doubly fucked.

Pic related, except replace "Giant poisonous snakes" with "Demon-possessed phazon metroids".

It'd tear the crib apart a week after they bring it him.

and that's how the Emperor was Born

/co/ reporting in.

Be confident in yourself. If you've been killing demons in a flak jacket with your bare hands for a few decades and all's going well, then good on you.

But if a flaming angel and a demon-smith come forward and go "we're big fans, have some magitek", don't be so insecure as to turn down free-ass pimp gear.

At least in Season 1 of the TV show. Comic is a whole different story.

>And in his terrible rancor between worlds and through time, the Hell Walker found the wretch who shall not be named, but in his heresy was loyal to the evil cause.
I wonder how giving Doomguy the suit of armor that made him nigh unstoppable is still being loyal to the "evil cause" on the part of the wretch?

Unless for demons the evil cause is a fancy way of saying "doing it for shits and giggles" and he was true to it because watching his friends get brutalized even harder by their own technology was just the funniest thing the wretch could think of.

She would be the Elsa Bloodstone of the videogame universe.
And that's saying something.

>Unless for demons the evil cause is a fancy way of saying "doing it for shits and giggles"
judging from the doom games, that's pretty much hell's agenda.

Damn straight. Pure argent energy only upgrades his suit. While health packs are also argent-derived, they heal anyone.

The "evil cause" is Doomguy slaughtering all the demons.

Even though the demons love murder and conquest, they refer to Doomguy as "barbaric" and basically say how he's THEIR version of evil.

To demons, Doomguy is the demon.

I think in summary we can say that Doomguy qualifies to be a paladin, and does demon slaying very well.
However being a paladin is more than smiting evil, and we dont know if he's good at that as well because he never has a chance to.

Samus is probably a good choice though. She fights aliens, doesn't afraid of anything and finds time to enjoy the sunset after she finishes killing a living planet. Plus her comics have her as a space paladin pretty much.
Other M isn't real. You dreamed that. Never happened. Nuh-uh.

>To demons, Doomguy is the demon.
And to stop the demon, they dropped a fucking mountain on him mid-fight and then put him in a magic coffin to make sure he never woke up, and fought with unspeakable ferocity to make sure no one ever dug him out. Name one 'good' culture that was half that hardcore fighting demons.

Other M is an argument for why a work must sometimes pass hands, it seems like Nintendo has been spiteful to it ever since Other M after it was clear the Prime Trilogy was mor eliked

>SO WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT THEN, EH BUD?
>doomguy is Canadian

Honestly would not be surprised.

He's the best at what he does, even if what he does isn't very nice.
...Wait.

>Sam Vimes
Are you too stupid to read a book? Carrot is the real paladin. Vimes, like Doomguy, is a very tarnished paladin.

And Sabriel? Has nothing to do with paladins. At all. She's a fucking mage. What the fuck, it's like saying 'Merlin was a great fighter' or 'Conan, greatest priest in fiction'

And OP You illiterate fuckhead, go read Dresden Files. Shiro and Michael are the best paladins in all fiction. ALL OF IT.

He just has insane determination that would break lesser men.

We'd be proud to have him.

At the very least, he's a honorary paladin. He may not have taken any class levels in it, per se, but at a certain number of demons vanquished you're a paladin one way or another. Sort of like the way a cleric becomes a necromancer, you know?

>translators

Who in the guard besides Nobby and Colon aren't paladins by the time the Pratchett died?

Fuck what Snuff did to Colon, btw. You can tell he was getting ghostwritten at that point when Colon forgets all the character development he had and just decides to steal a funeral urn for the fuck of it.

>never cheats
>IDKFA
>IDDQD

I'm so glad you used Zapp brannigan for this because its a wonderful example of how the best tech and the best gear and the badest-assed stuff aren't as cool as the scrappy nobody who kicks all the ass.

Faggot.

>not IDCHOPPERS

probably it feeds double-hell

Fly Taggart in the Doom novel series. Is "Lawful Good", and incorruptible. Literally finds out in the third book that only humans die and have "religion" and "souls", and in the fourth book that Humans with Faith in "something" cannot be corrupted by an Alien infection.

> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_novels

Straight up Paladin there. It's even conceivable that the 2016 Doomguy is Fly now in another dimension, or reincarnated, or existing an a virtual universe, or possibly that the final BBEG alien race the Newbies evolved into a new layer of existence

> "They chase after the Newbie-human ship, which is heading for Earth, although on arrival, they discover that the Newbies never arrived, likely having evolved out of existence as well (as affected by the Newbie soul the game-force had captured)." - quote from the Synopsis of Endgame

and in this new reality Doomguy is part of it due to the influence Fly had on the Newbies, particularly the first "Newbie" consciousness that evolved out of existence while in a VR simulation with Fly and Arlene (Female protagonist). So Doomguy, if not actually Fly, could be the distillation of how the Newbies saw Fly (which would make a lot of sense IMO for both his abilities as well as his Doomguy personality being kind of lacking as he would be an existence brought about from outside observation as opposed to internal creation.)

Anyways. Possibilities and headcanons aside, dude was originally a Defender of the Realm whose job was to defend the realm and its Gods from the forces of Hell, and is powered by the spirits of the demons he kills thanks to the blessing of Seraphim and the holy armour and weapons they granted him.

Always liked Flynn in the books.

>2016 Doomguy is Fly
If a new book came out and he's doing his usual inner monologue the entire time while zipping around like a human Fly killing demons, I will die a happy man.

This picture always makes me laugh, It looks less like he's about to put his fist through his skull and more like he's demanding that baron's lunch money.

No bullying demons?

>novel series
Just like other game novels and movie-extending novels- they are trash and should not be considered representetive of characters.

thats master chief in that pic....

Yes, and?

>A
>FUCKING
>LEAF

Well, like I said, he could be Fly, or he could be something created by the Newbies inadvertently because Fly created an inescapable impression.

And since the Newbies evolved into another state of existence, it could be that once they created Doomguy, while he didn't exist until they created him afterwards he always existed.

Like, if the reality exists as a single state when viewed from the outside with "time" being just being another measurement of it's dimensions, then it's possible.

The universe of Doom 2016 could be set in a parallel world where the Newbies and other aliens didn't exist. Given the whole "only humans die and have religion" and the whole "Trapped in VR because of your soul, but your soul exists beyond this reality so we couldn't capture all of it" I feel you could make the argument that Humans exist in all realities due to a portion of them existing outside the multiverse entirely. Like, the multiverse is the infinite edge of the wheel, and souls stretch out from the hub to the edge and touch on every point, and individual universes are just different points of the wheel as viewed from the side so you don't see the hub or the soul spokes.

Argent energy is trans-dimensional in nature, could be souls (Spiritual Energy Field Theory).

Hell is the existence of the Newbies in between the soul/spokes, intercepting the energy.

And when Hell was made, Doomguy was made in the spoke space and so exists now in all universes.

Some real god damned maple syrup!

>what are soulspheres

Those are human souls.

Did you read the 1990 novels?

Jesus user. It was pretty decent sci-fi, definitely YA stuff regarding the general themes but the characterizations were pretty good and honestly they improved a lot over the series as they took the premise from the first novel and ran with it instead of trying to tie it to the DOOM series.

I suggest you give it a read, like I said they ARE kind of YA level so it's not like I'm asking you for much.

> Representing DOOM guy

Literally the MC designed to be as flat as possible so that the Player could identify with him more. Once again, the good thing about the Doom novel series was they didn't even fucking try to make it an explanation or a continuation of the games, but instead went the "inspired by" route.

Trapped in some magic sphere which you fucking consume to enhance your physical strength. That's unholy if you ask me.

And then there's megaspheres... embarrassing a mancubus soul? Whatever it is, it's some black magic.

Vimes is a fantastic paladin BECAUSE he's tarnished. He's not clean. He's not pure. The world has damaged him. But he still gets up in the morning and protects people. That's what makes him such a compelling character.

Faggot.

In a solo campaign that's entirely combat-focused?

If so, then you suggest Paladins are terrible and should never be included in any good group games.

>implying you don't need DPS

Doomguy is chaotic thus not paladin

Nigga, Carrot is a good guy, but he's no Paladin. He doesn't have the Faith that it requires for one thing, and later on in the books he becomes pretty manipulative and cynical even. Since one couldn't say all those ambiguous threats without being cynical. One of the biggest criticisms I have about Discworld is that Carrot never actually gets called on his shit by anyone, except indirectly by Vimes and Angua. Carrot never really gets tested.

Carrot kills Lupine Wonse in cold blood by "throwing the book at him" and plays it off as misunderstanding Vime's order - which, even if true, he could have questioned Vimes about it same as if Vimes had said "stab him with your sword". Carrot is Heroic, but definitely NOT a Paladin.

Vimes on the other hand is so much a Paladin it fucking hurts. He sees the evil in people, much like detect evil. It rankles him, he can't tolerate it and he wants to destroy it root and branch. But he has faith in the Law. He believes in a code, and his entire character growth is pretty much him refusing to fucking fall even though he comes close. He isn't always nice like Carrot, or even honest exactly. He killed Wolfgang in cold blood, not because he was a threat but because Wolfgang was a monster - and there was no court to take him to. You'll note he doesn't kill assassins for instance. He didn't kill Carter who threatened his son. He didn't kill the dwarves who attacked his mansion and his family. Also tried to kill him, but whatever.

Dude stands up to his boss, to foreign leaders, to the booze etc. He has zero compromise, but isn't without compassion.

I'll give you not clean, but I'd argue Vimes is pure. Dude will arrest anyone. His boss (even when he knows that it's a screw job, even when he's doing so on behalf of the people he hates the most in the world) the man who once fought his way through an army to arrest a king, the man who arrested a Dragon. Dude pretty much keeps himself under house arrest inside his head, along with a spirit of vengeance.

And despite all that, he manages to be Good as well as Lawful. If History wasn't determined, I feel in a sense that he would have ended up arresting an entire city in Night Watch.

Fair point. "Pure" was a poor word choice on my part.

To be fair, I think part of his 'power' is that he never gets called on this. Vimes and Angua indirectly call him on it, sometimes they evern try to do so directly, but his face is just so open and honest that they can't. And in any case, what do you expect would happen? I see it most likely as
>Carrot... you just killed a man. Don't claim you misunderstood my order, you knew exactly what you were fucking doing.
>Well gee shucks commander I have no idea what on earth you're talking about, and with my gloriously open and honest face I dare you to prove it in a court of law.'

Doomguy is the Ashbringer to Uther's Uther.