EDH/Commander general

Underappreciated commanders edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kozilek-always-drawing/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sol ring should be banned.

>Underappreciated commanders edition

Love this guy. He's so spicy with the right deck.

How does Strionic Resonator work with Saskia's abilities?

If I understand correctly, you can't copy the first ability since "As X enters the battlefield" isn't a triggered ability.
What about the second ability? If I were to deal combat damage to a player with three creatures, will that create three separate instances of Saskia's ability where I can only copy one of them, or are they all one combined instance?

nah sol ring is fine

>"As X enters the battlefield" isn't a triggered ability.
It isn't?

No, that's an ETB effect. It happens on ETB, not on cast, so Strionic can duplicate her "choose a player" strategy. Same with the damage ability, I believe.

You can't copy Saskia's effect AFAIK, because it's worded "As enters the battlefield...", meaning it's not a trigger but modifies how it enters a battlefield, similar to how creatures come into play with +1/+1 counters.

> implying Sol Ring doesn't make the format 99 card singleton instead of 100
Literally format warping. user how do you justify this?

they fact that they reprint it constantly? i have like 30 sol rings and ive been playing EDH for like 3 years

Saskia etb is not a triggered ability, since there is no trigger. But her second ability is a trigger, but it triggers for every creature that deals combat damage to a player, so you can copy any one of those triggers.

posterd this in the other thread right before new thread was made. so here:

how janky is too janky for your combos? I wanna build a breya deck with as many infinites as possible, and there is one extremely stupid combo i want to put in, but one of the cards seems useless without the rest of the combos and i wanna know how to make it useful. What non-angel tribal synergies can i put in breya to make conspiracy viable outside this stupid combo

Why not just do Sword + Foundry? Not infinite but effectively the same, plus lifegain

I think he didn't mean as Sol ring is too strong or not abundant enough for everyone to get one, but that every single commander deck uses one. It is basically a card that has 100% pick rate, so it limits deckbuilding, even if by 1 card.

It's not a cost issue for me, just a deck variety issue.

I don't even understand your combo.

How does it even works? You know that Conspiracy won't make Restoration Angel a non-Angel, right?

>1 card being a staple is a massive loss in variety

>massive loss
That strawman sure is easy to beat, am I right?

He rules. Going full-on mercenary with him is super fun

Sword, foundry and ashnods altar would be an infinite life and mana combo right? With breya as a commander you could even run impact tremors and kill the whole table in one go if I'm not mistaken.

>lands are in every EDH deck, they should be banned because of lack of variety

its not that i dont get their argument its just so pointless to care about a single card that is over printed to fuck being in every deck. what are you really taking away from EDH by having it?

>lands is a single card now
>implying there is any land that is 100% pick rate no matter what kind of commander you use
Strawmans everywhere, gotta beat them all, am I right?

>what are you taking away from edh by having it?
Literally nothing because it's a multiplayer format, and the card only makes a difference if you draw it in your first two turns.

As I said before, you take 1 card from the deck. And that's it. I think banning is overreacting, but I also understand the problem, imagine if there was a card in standard that was so strong that every single deck had 1 of it?

resto would become a non-angel, look at the final ruling on conspiracy. It overrides all creature type that you control.

So you have to control Breya, Panharmonicon, and Conspiracy (lets say humans were the named creature type).
>cast resto angel
>double etb triggers because of panharmonicon
>one trigger to blink breya
>one trigger to blink resto angel (which we can do because of conspiracy)
>repeat until you have enough thopters to kill everybody

oh, i'm probably going to put sword of the meek in, and foundry came with the precon, so it probably won't leave. danke for the suggestion tho

Choose a creature type besides angel, panharminicon gives resto two triggers, flicker resto and breya for extra thopters, repeat as desired. I'd recommend choosing a creature type you have some amount of tribal support for even if it's just one card like myr battleshere or precursor golem or something.

>Precursosr Golem
>wanting to fuck yourself
All precursor does is turn swords into the best removal ever.

Dat lifegain tho

i could see calling myr, that would be fun. but like said, it's basically shooting yourself in the foot.

One of my favorites.

Too bad he needs to be dealt damage to put spirits in play.

>tfw equipping Vial Smasher with Inquisitors Flail and Grafted Exoskeleton
>tfw putting Curiosity on Tunneling Geopede and casting Harrow on the opponents end step

This Thrasios/Vial Smasher deck might MIGHT just work sorta

>Inquisitors Flail
inquisitors flail only works with combat damage. Though, better than that, just use damage doublers like furnace of rath and dictate of the twins gods or something

>siege rhino
>coco
>fetus Jace
It's not unheard of. But those are examples of truly format-warping. Turn-1 Sol Ring is like playing a ballgame against a headwind. You can't do a whole lot about it, it doesn't necessarily seal the win, and it's pure luck giving someone the upper hand.

Xth for Braveheart.

Do not fall for the meme /edh/, aggro is alive and well.

is there anyway I can use this in zada
should I run insurrection so I can attack with him? are therreallly any other good mono red steal effects?

Do you have any way of getting black or green creatures besides steal / threaten / insurrection effects?

The answer is no, user

Would be great if he was Naya colored

It's not a triggered ability, but a replacement effect, like with Clones or Iona, so it can't be countered with stifle effects nor copied with resonator.
Second ability is okay. Keep in mind that triggered abilities start with 'when', 'at', 'whenever'. There may be still some, but I'm sure that someone will fill if I missed any

You were not missed

Wrong. Unless the card says 'in addition to other x', like Xenograft, it's just the chosen thing, like with Darkest Hour everything is just black.

>commander of the "aggro" precon is 3/4
>commanders of the other precons are 4/4, 4/4, 5/4 and 2/8

Fuck you, the meme is real

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kozilek-always-drawing/

Need some feedback on my first take on colorless commander. Its currently budget since it lacks two very obvious cards

It's value though. It's a 2/1 defender for 1 red.

>It's value though

Why not move onto this instead of your terrible meme?

I'm mono red. plus i have a playset of these things and it feels wasteful not to play them..

>have a deck that draws tons of hate
>make a new deck that will draw less hate
>get bored of doing nothing every game
>power it up a bit
>oops
>turn into archenemy again
>the table politics are basically "ok how do we stop user from winning the game next turn"

okay friends, time to make another low-power deck. someone give me a list to a ~fun~ political deck, hopefully with something like gwafa hazid. not group hug, but politics. i want to make deals with other players and police the board. also it should have some fun wincons like the filibuster dude

Now we post cards that should be considered for any deck running its colors but for some reason nobody seems to be playing

btw i didn't mean to post that image at all, ignore it

>Naturally has vigilance and haste
>Allows you to either wail on two people at once or hit one player twice as hard
>Gives you access to both Naya and Mardu for a wide range of aggressive cards
>Plenty of draw power, mana ramp and answers available
>Damage doublers exist

No, fuck YOU. There's finally an aggro commander who can hold their own in multiplayer instead of "I kill one person and then die."

Hey, this goes well with the born of the gods badger.

that's kind of a dead draw though, and only gives you temporary card quality instead of quantity. it's okay but i wouldn't call it great

pic related should be run in any monoblack deck though

Well that's your own fault faggot. Maybe you should get some vanguard elites

Ho god the faggot with the forced meme returns...

Seems alright. Kind of dependent on the type of mono-black deck though

It's a good turn 1-3 drop but after that it's not something you want to draw

I'm not sure why I don't see a lot of this guy
When I played him as my commander he was seen as very threatening, but ever since I tore that deck apart and moved him into the 99 of another deck, people seem to think he's mostly irrelevant.
I often end up drawing 5-7 cards before I lose him, and most often it's to a board wipe

>karthus as commander
>conspiracy naming dragons
>cast karthus
>steal all creatures

could karthus dragon tribal be fun?

>Stunt Double on Karrthus
It's fun but get ready to be blasted by any clone effect

Is there any cards that make artifact creatures non-creature artifacts? Sort of a reverse March of the Machines type deal?

Defenses for sol ring not being banned all sound like Sheldon is saying it

Conspiracy only effects your creatures. You could Harmless Offering it to someone, then steal all of their creatures.

Conspiracy only makes your creatures dragons though. What am I forgetting here?

Ah, damn. But I guess that works too.

Just in general the thought of playing something like hellkite overlord makes my inner timmy happy.

Also, mycosynth lattice + hellkite tyrant would work right?

£spicy secret tech? ??

You're missing the fact that I am an idiot and shouldn't post when I am half asleep, sorry.

why is the scarred puma fag back? Holy shit the general was much better without him

game breakingly overpowered for a mono green badger tribal

Karrthus is a ton of fun to play, but like said, clone effects really fuck ya up.

My first "competitive" commander deck had him at the helm.
The main reason I switched him to Scion is because there were so many cards like Standardize that would be great in Karrthus but that I couldn't use because of the color restriction, and that lack of cards that actually synergize with his ability is kind of a turn-off for me. I prefer build-around commanders which I could do with Scion.

In fact, I would recommend Scion. One of the neat things is you can add 1-2 cards that synergize really well with one dragon (like ophidian eye or curiosity for Niv Mizzet, and Bear Umbra or Sword of Feast and Famine for Hellkite Charger) and then when you draw those cards, just call up the dragon with Scion.
So if I draw into Conspiracy or Standardize, I call up Karrthus and ressurect him with one of my many recursive spells (or just Teneb).

What are some cards that become better the more opponents you have? I wanna make a partners deck with Tymna and Sidar Kondo and since Tymna's greatness scales with the number of players, I'll make it my big orgy deck. So what are good cards in Abzan colors that want you to have many opponents? I've already noted
>Extort cards (specifically Blind Obedience, Pontiff of Blight and Basilica Screecher in this deck's case)
>Syphon Mind
>Syphon Flesh
>Capital Punishment
>Selvala, Explorer Returned
>Tempt with Discovery
>Gary

Secret tech: Sylvan Offering is pretty neat with Sidar Kondo, and Tymna can get some sweet use out of Hatred and Strionic Resonator.

My nigga. Wort is fucking sweet. Looking forward to testing the new Treacherous Terrain with it.

That sounds fun, but scion is five colored right?

I'm a bit on a budget so five color decks are always a bit "eh" to me because of the mana base. I'll definitely give it a try though, thanks.

Go mostly basics with green basic fetch package. 5c also has space for Gates and an altwincon of Maze's End.

Depending on how powered your playgroup is, you can get by surprisingly well with just jamming ten tri-lands into a deck. Those new basic landcyclers are pretty sweet too. With big scary dragons you'll want effects like Grave Upheaval anyway.

>kokusho
>rise of the dark realms
>decree of pain
ones that i use in my karador deck that accrues value dependant on the number of people that are in the game

>Tymna can get some sweet use out of Hatred and Strionic Resonator
I don't get it, how?

Playgroup is pretty casual, I have some fetches and shock duals, also temples and stuff and I'm planning on buying the lorwyn lands once I'm done building my legacy deck.

>Hatred
You can pay 19 life to pump her before damage, kill someone with commander damage and gain it all back thanks to lifelink. Helps if she's evasive thanks to someone like Sidar Kondo.
>Strionic Resonator
When Tymna's ability goes on the stack at the beginning of your postcombat main phase, you can copy that ability with the resonator, then draw up to twice as many cards as you normally would (and paying up to twice as much life but cmon who cares about that)

Oh right, I though it was something else besides her Lifelink

I never said that Sol Ring warped the format, but it limits the deckbuilding by 1 card, since every deck needs to run 1.
A card with 100% pick rate not necessarily warps the format.

SOUL RING BAN INCOMING IN TOMORROW MONTHS

SELL YOUR SOUL RINGS NOW
SELL THEM NOW

>be i

>playing gobolins tribal
>ydris command
>solo ring is first play
lay down creature
>it is over for yoy, .jpg
>everyone is scope
>mfw when
any other EDH player got good story? ?

If you're picking up any of the precons there's a bit of land fixing in those already
I built Scion on a budget when I first started, and while the speed of the deck is hindered, it was still relatively consistent.
Running 5 colors on a budget is more about how you build the deck than it is about the actual landbase.
5 Tri-Lands would be enough to suffice in Scion, because he's more of a 3 color deck, given the nature of dragons. You'll mostly likely have significantly less white and blue than Jund colors, so build around it accordingly. With the exception of stuff like Standardize and Curiosity, try to make your white/blue cards late game stuff. This allows you to focus primarily on Jund colors in the mana base, so it plays more consistently in the start of the game. Your basics in Jund should greatly outnumber your basics in Azorius, but all your ramp should be W/U inclusive.
A lot of people get caught up in trying to make the manabase work so they don't have to sacrifice card slots, but the sad truth is that the deck will run much better if you sacrifice card slots for ramp when on a budget, that way you don't have to use a bunch of lands that enter tapped, which set you back a turn.

If you're thinking about this seriously I would do:
>5 Tri-Lands, one of which should be the Jund one
>3 Signets: Azorius, Orzhov, Izzet
>5 Land Fetches: Search for Tomorrow, Rampant Growth, Farseek, Harrow, Kodama's Reach
>2 All-Color Artifacts: Darksteel Ingot, Fellwar Stone
>Have Command Tower and any other all-color lands you can get your hands on
>Remainder should be basics in a ratio of 3-3-3-1-1 for B-G-R-W-U

I've used mostly this same strategy for 2 five color decks and they've both treated me very well. I'm rarely struggling for the last color by turn 6

Too long, never gonna happen.
Fun though

Awwww I had this card when I was 12ish. The memories.

>3 card combo +commander
>in black , the color of tutors
>in blue, the color of artifact tutors and draw
>never going to happen
>too long

Ok

if your group sits back and takes it then they're a shitty group

>Just paid $22 for the Saskia deck
>tfw buying a precon for 2/3rds of the MSRP

What am I in for lads? I'm mostly buying it to disassemble whenever I eventually make Tana/Sidar Kondo partners but it might have some other fun goodies right? Gonna throw Stonehoof Chieftain into my Gruul deck.

I'm kinda disappointed Saskia the Unyielding isn't a Warrior. She would be amazing as the commander of the Warrior tribal deck I'm working on. Would even give me access to the Abzan and Gruul Warriors, as well as green mana fixings.

So, you can pay life twice? What a swell idea.

>Expecting my group to see that combo coming, or understanding the interactions these cards have with each other to go infinite.
>implying they are savants, like us, who talk about edh online and know 3+ card combos

These are the same people who had to think about allowing mind over matter resolving or not, while a temple bell was on the field.

Don't expect randos at any lgs to be as knowledgeable about non -modern legal cards and their various interactions as we are, user. We are the edh 1%

I own three of the precons. I'll try to build the manabase like that, thank you.

Any dragons you would recommend in particular? I'll definitely use hellkite overlord and karthus, I also have skithiryx lying around.

>grave dump
>use the all the best artifact+enchantment recursion in the format
sure, it's never gonna happen. okay there bud

>tfw the only deck that sells above MSRP is breed lethality at 40€ on mkm
>stalwart unity has the most value cards
>can get it as low as 15€

I don't understand.

Waifus sell user

i think it has to do with that fucking deepglow skate (i think thats what its called. idk the thing that doubles counters on permanents when it etb) desu i thought magus of the will was gonna be the most money card out the set.

If you have Skithiryx, you get 1-hit-KOs with Moltensteel Dragon:
>Activate Scion's ability twice (he loses ability after it resolves)
>First activation resolves; fetch moltensteel
>Activate moltensteel's ability 6 times
>Second activation resolves; fetch Skithiryx
>Hit for 10 infect
Only works once if you can't get it back in the deck but it gets the job done. I typically steer clear of the OHKOs until it's a 1v1 situation though. Basically it's a trump card.

For a budget build, consider Gurzigost, to recycle dragons you didn't want to draw or are already in the yard

Teneb is very handy, and his recursion enables things like the previously mentioned Karrthus combo. For extra value on the Teneb activations, add Bladewing the Risen.

The recursion route may make for a more expensive build though. Scion can also be treated as a sort of Voltron Toolbox commander, so it's up to you. There aren't a lot of Must-haves other than Moltensteel (since you have Skittles), and Teneb.

Dragons for the combo route are again:
>Niv-Mizzet
>Hellkite-Charger

Dragons for toolbox:
>Hellkite Tyrant
>Balefire Dragon
>Nicol Bolas (a personal favorite of mine)

If you take the recursion route, don't be afraid to let Scion go to the yard in order to use:
>Kokusho
>Keiga
>Yosei

OH almost forgot, always have protection:
>Silumgar
>Stormbreath Dragon
I would consider them must-haves.
Skithiryx has regenerate so you should be all set for most wraths (for wraths you can't regen out of is Keiga, etc. as previously mentioned)

Conspiracy will allow Scion to fetch for any card in your deck

Things to keep in mind:
>Once Scion changes into another dragon you can't activate his ability again
>EtB effects don't work

If you go toolbox, Sunforger is a must-have, along with a good array of low-cost red/white spells (preferably white spells that matter more late-game because of the mana fixing issue).

>le Veeky Forums elitism

at the very least only a group of fucking idiots would let panharmonicon stick around for any amount of time

More:

Regardless of whether or not you go with recursion, you will have dragons in your graveyard.
>Living Death
>Bring to Light (which is not only a second Living Death, but also a second lots-of-other-things)

Steely Resolve is good but definitely not if you're going voltron because shroud

>Crux of Fate
>Tragic Arrogance because lolyouonlycareaboutonecreature

>Joiner Adept
(Since you're on a budget with land)

I think I'm done.
Also I know I used "him" a lot, but pretty sure Scion is more like a god-figure than a "him"
Just that good.

If you can't tell, I really like Scion

Love this thing. It's like a reasonable Top.
Pic related is unimpressive for 1v1, but in political multiplayer EDH it's lots of fun.

Do you have a decklist somewhere? I'm not the guy you've been replying to but am interested in changing from Karrthus.

Thank you very much, I will keep that in mind. I even have a moltensteel dragon lying around here, and I shall start building the deck in january. Gonna order scion and some dragons by then.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure scion is male.