/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Merethic Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Ysgramor, Yngol and Ahzidal
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

darkcreations.org/forums/topic/2638-the-pantheon-of-elsweyr/
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Master_Zoaraym's_Tale
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Prayers_of_Baranat
docs.google.com/document/d/1dM0O4dV7lMBQjqDMLfM3MIpcISy6JbaJsBOjiw8YxJI/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What motivation would a paladin of Peryite have? How can I justify the wanton slaughter of bandits and sorcerers in the name of the natural order?

Are there's any living students of Sotha Sil?

2920 mentions a few students he had when he was a teacher at Artaeum. Some of them could probably still be around.

Maybe atleast one of the Psijic Order members you meet in Skyrim was a former student of Sotha Sil?

I wish we had more books with drawings

Praise Azurah.

But to be fair, 2920 is a work of fiction, which complicates things.

Do you think Reachmen are cannibals? I could imagine them eating Nords they've captured.

You were ordered to do it, naturally.

Which ones? An innkeeper living in Jehanna? A beggar in Markarth? A Forsworn tribal living in the Reach that doesn't even speak Cyrodiilic?

Tribal Reachmen ofcourse.

>2920 is a work of fiction
what? seriously?

Yeah, it was written by Carlovac Townway sometime in the Third Era. He's a famous Breton historian turned author.
He's a contemporary of Waughin Jarth (Dance in Fire) and Baloth-Kul (The Horror at Castle Xyr).

Ted Peterson is the man behind all the characters and their books, as well as a lot more. Very important developer.

Historical fiction. The premise, the events and their outcome are historical (as historical as things concerning the First Era can be), but with plenty of author-induced fluff.

What's this art from? It looks nice

Art of Khajiti panteon. Someone posted a link to a forum thread with them last week.

It's concept art from some mod.
darkcreations.org/forums/topic/2638-the-pantheon-of-elsweyr/

I like it a lot, my only complaint being that it's perhaps a bit too humanoid-focused. But the style is cool.

They worship Hircine. It would not even remotely surprise me if worshipers of the father of lycanthropes and god of the hunt ate people they killed.

Also they're backwards savages.

It is historical fiction, in that all the events and circumstances surrounding the characters in the book are likely true, it's just that the interactions and some personalities of characters are dramatizations and likely not accurate.

Depends on the tribe really. Some worship Namira, amongst them it is probably common.

Very swirly, I like it.

>tfw you have to scrutinize the wiki more closely than before because some of their sources come from baseless ESO bullshit

In 30 years, when TES 7 comes out, it won't fucking matter, so get over it and go back to reading webcomics.

>After all, there's nothing like the wilderness life. Waking up with the sun, shaking off the frost. Catching an orc for breakfast - ever have orc guts fried over stinkwood? Oh, that's a treat! Checking each stream for dead giant spiders - or live ones! Imp jerky for lunch! Scanning the ridges for dragonlings! Standing guard against Ice Daedra in a blinding snowstorm! Oh, what a life!

What little additions could Skyrim have used for a bit more flavor? Without derailing in complaining or pointing fingers; I can understand Bethesda not doing everything the way we want it to

>more Nordic mysticism with ancient rituals, animal sacrifices, shamans, worship of the old Nordic pantheon, a few living Dragon cultists here and there
>more hermits living in mountains, more isolated villages, Skyrim is a bit too urbanized/cosmopolitan
>sky whales
>more Nords actually wearing fur instead of cotton/linen/wool (not an expert of fabrics) like Imperials do
>more Nords casually walking around with an axe in their holster just like redneck Americans in open carry areas
>more megafauna
>Ancient Snow Elf ruins
>a Merethic era city (like Saarthal and Bromjunaar) still inhabited
>Direnni ruins in the Reach
>settlements of non-savage Reachmen with their own architecture (pic related)
>less anti-magic autism, Nords are supposed to be masters of frost magic

Skyrim completely missed out on the Nords tribal aspect.
That is in my opinion its biggest mistake.

Is there an elaborate explanation for the over sized objects in the Imperial Palace basement?

Atmoran descended Nordic totemism and religious practices as described in the original planning documents.

More painted cows.

Wasabi.

Clever-men.

Nords in the farthest northern areas who walk around naked and still don't really know what the Empire is.

>implying that isn't jagar tharn's throne

Leftovers from when previous emperors had Daedric princes as house guests, maybe.

Religion and superstition were lacking in the game.
I'm playing morrowind for the first time and every nord blames their problems on witches and snow elves.

The piece of the design doc that Kirkbride showed was good, especially with the Alduin ritual.
The ruins and temples just felt like locations to put bandit camps, they didn't feel like an in-universe thing.
They felt like a place for bandits to fight and maybe a quest to find some object in a tomb filled with draugr and a big chest full of leveled loot at the end.

Also people interacting in taverns. Why have bards when nobody's going to drunkenly sing along?

Here's one thing that was good in Skyrim: the design of the dragon cult barrows.

Pretty much everything that translated from the excellent concept art is nice.

More focus on prominent families like the Graymanes and Battlebornes, not always so blatant as every city having a Stormcloak/Imperial family, but something

And, more chainmail. The guard and stormcloak outfits nearly do it, and look good, but there's still not enough chainmail.

Ascetic Nords walking around in the snow in loin clothes and shouting, sometimes appearing in High Hrothgar

>ywn an austisitcally deep festival system that makes parades and rituals appear on local holidays, with special pricing and items for that day

I like that helmet with the pig on top. Helmets with dragons like in pic related would've been dope aswell.

Despite some people complaining about 'generic viking aesthethic' I actually liked the helmets with horns or antlers.

The Blades helmet had dragon on the top and the tongue rolling out as a nose guard was a nice touch.

Another pig for you.

the red diamond symbolism (representing the heart of lorkhan) is interesting aswell

The Red Diamond is the Amulet of Kings.

>The Blades helmet had dragon on the top and the tongue rolling out as a nose guard was a nice touch.
holy fucking shit, never noticed that
I think it's supposed to be a short burst of fire he's breathing though

and thanks for the pig

>less anti-magic autism, Nords are supposed to be masters of frost magic
Onmund did somewhat touch on why nords are more touchy with magic nowadays. He says it has to do with a combination of:existing preference for physical weapons, superstition/fear left from the oblivion crisis and the Great War with the elves (who love their fucking magic), and in winterhold the great collapse adds to it.
It's by no means a perfect explanation of every aspect, but to some extent it explains a good chunk of everyone's issue with it. Granted, 200 years is a long time to still be fearful about something like that but whatever.

>had
It still does in the base game even

but that was destroyed in oblivion wasn't it?
wouldn't that affect the armour design of the legion?

Or would the overt presence of such a symbol of authority (one that no longer exists) fit well with an empire that is collapsing.

Traditions stick around. The Legion is probably still called the "Ruby Ranks" by many.

What's with such amateur stiff poses?

It's both. The Red Diamond of the Empire represent foremost the Amulet of Kings, and incidentally the hole in Lorkhan's chest.

Because Lorkhan and Akatosh are the same thing.

It's concept art.

So you can see the armor.

N'wah.

>what is concept art

Sure, but for Imperials it doesn't really represent the Heart of Lorkhan. There's a difference between the metaphysical connection and what the symbol means to most citizens of the Empire.

>amateur
I'm sure your deviantart OCs are much better.

You mean ESO2?

Sure, most wouldn't know it, but in every other regard it does.

wtf

Do you have a favorite deity that is not of the 9 or considered a prince?

HoonDing is pretty cool. Riddle'Thar too.

I like the Khajiiti pantheon, so Azurah is probably my favourite.
Fadomai arguably counts, though she's dead.
Baan Dar is pretty cool, and Riddle'Thar to a lesser extent.

Merid Who Held the Whole of the Blackblock Under Her Hood is another favourite, and a few cool Magne-Ge deities are Wode-Rub, Swath, Clan Box, Mnethm and Phophec.

The HoonDing is pretty boss, as is Diagna, who is one of his avatars-become-deity. Leki, Sai and Ebonarm are also cool. Probably my second favourite set of weird gods after the Khajiiti one, though these are more removed from other deities.

And lastly, just to be super obscure, I'm going to give a honourable mention to Ephen.
I want to play a paladin to Ephen and just spend the majority of my time being really confused as to what my god is actually all about, but never admitting my doubts to anyone.

>Azurah
mane pls

>implying azurah is anything like azura
Heretic pls go.

Don't forget to lick the Altmer's boots for "bringing back" the moons

If I can pick Merid, then I pick Merid.

Or her sister, Mnemoli. Or Xero-Lyg.

Maybe the Leaper Demon King.

>just like redneck Americans in open carry areas

Redneck here. No one does this.

This, rednecks live in places where it is extremely unlikely that they will ever need to defend themselves with deadly force.

How would one go about playing a Knight of the Imperial Dragon from a lore perspective? Are they an actual order of knights with their own autonomy from the legion or just a high ranking soldier? I know Morrowind treats them as just a high rank within the legion and from what I can remember they're absent from Oblivion and Skyrim.

YOU FOOLS, DON'T YOU SEE WHAT THE ARGONIANS ARE DOING?

THEY'RE STEALING YOUR SEMEN IN ORDER TO CREATE MORE SOULS FOR ARGONIANS, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE SOULS IN THE ELDER SCROLLS WORLD, ONLY RE-USE THEM

THEY'RE GOING TO TURN THE WHOLE WORLD IN A LIZARD PLANET, AND THEY'RE DOING IT ONE CREAMPIE AT A TIME

YOU HAVE TO STOP FUCKING THEM

I MEAN IT

AND BY CREATE THEM I MEAN TRANSFORM THEM, LIKE THOSE DUNMER ARGONIANS IN ARENA

THEY'RE BIOLOGICALLY THE SLUTTIEST RACE ON PURPOSE

THOSE TITS ARE DIABOLICAL

ALSO THERE ARE CANOTICALLY FUTA ARGONIANS AND CUNTBOY ARGONIANS, THEY'RE LITERALLY APPEALING TO EVERY CROWD, WE HAVE TO STOP BETHESDA

I want to fuck Fadomai. Sounds sexy.

Did you miss the cult of Namira in Markarth.

Also their social structure is Hagraven > Briarhart > Hag > Other forsworn

Welp, I'm not American so I didn't really know. What's a typical place where people would carry guns in the open?

>cuirass nipples

Is it true that people on Tamriel are born and die at the same pace?

When you die, your soul goes to the dreamsleeve to be reborn. Most likely there's a set populace of people that can exist at any time, but we'll never know because the souls go every which way towards every race, excluding the Argonians with their weird souls that don't operate like the rest of the world's.

I think the souls also include the people on the other continents, so until we map out every life ever, we'll probably continue to never know the max number people that can exist.

Well, there has been at least one genocide, so I would suspect not.

What does that imply for when maximum soulcount has been reached though? Miscarriages when a soulless one is born, or just infertility.

A spike in ginger population.

got em

Pretty much no where unless you live in a place where it's hard as cock to get a concealed carry permit or when it's hunting season in some more rural places.
Most people conceal carry their firearms.

i never understood why there are no calendar specific events in the game.

It takes no time to complete it

We don't know. It has been speculated that that could be the reason why the Sload caused the Thrassian Plague. Running out of souls is probably a really bad thing for the world though.

>implying there's a hard limit on souls
By the Hist, I've never heard such vile and untrue slander. There is nothing even suggesting that.

>Most likely there's a set populace of people that can exist at any time
There's absolutely nothing suggesting that. Insisting on numerical consistency on something as abstract and fickle as the soul is unwarranted.

So if you think hard enough you could either end your own existence or become god-like? Spooky

I'm curious about something.

Is there any lore behind the martial arts of TES?

All i ever found was that Khajeet are supposedly the best at it and the Imperials being a close second.
Oh and the novitiates of the Ancestor Moth cult being taught how to fight barehanded.

>"The unarmed, unarmored martial arts traditions of the Marshmerrow, Salt Rice, and Golden Reed societies of the Dissident Priest, patterned on the 'Rain-of-Sand' fighting styles of Elsweyr, are slow to be adopted in the Empire, associated as they are with the ascetic renunciation of worldly wealth and material goods, and the rigid disciplines and mystical philosophies so alien to the Impieral West."
>"Monks dedicated to the ascetic philosophies of Elsweyr have long cultivated the unarmored martial arts traditions called the 'Rain-of-Sand' fighting styles. The Mages Guild and other societies have had some success adapting these styles for self-defense training of wizards and other armor-averse vocations. Students of the unarmored styles wear little to no armor, and count on evasion or deflection to avoid injury."

>The Temple of Two-Moons Dance in Torval has for many hundreds of years been the finest training ground in all Tamriel for warriors of foot and fist. The masters teach students of all ages from all parts of the Empire the most ancient techniques and the most modern variations, and many a former pupil has graduated to great fame.

Thanks a bunch.

I wanted to run a Wuxia campaign in the TES universe so this should work.

Basically martial arts outside of Cyrodill and Elswyr should mostly be propagated by the mages guild.

That's a cool idea. You could toss in things like the Shehai Shen She Ru or Akaviri kiai, that would fit the tone.

memery magic

Oh yeah, and one other thing:

>These clumsy knights of Colovia had no chance at all, splitting apart wetly as Shonni-Et whistled her spit like a carousel of blades, or folding like bone and paper as Sed-Yenna cracked great helms in the soft iron of her knee-hollows, and instead of asking the purpose of this betrayal from his vassals, Reman only rose to ejaculate on them as they fell, and after years of training in the Diblashuut he could do this without hands.

>MK: There’s blades in her [Shonni-Et’s] hair and Sed-Yenna, the older sister, is doing all this wuxia, hardass stuff, cracking plate armor with knee hollows. His head. “These fuckers!” One chick wuxia with soft style...

Nah i wanted to keep it at Warrior mystics doing unarmed beatdowns.

Basically i'll start the game with the players being students of various mystics from the region converging for a tournament that goes horribly wrong.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Master_Zoaraym's_Tale

Plus what that other user said, and a lot of smaller references here and there, like:
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Prayers_of_Baranat
>Baranat walked calmly into the camp and began battle with Airen Coribael. The fight lasted seven days, and for six of them, Airen had the upper hand. He rained kicks and punches down using the arrhythmic style the Khajiit call Goutfang

So could shouting, if you mix it with martial arts or Nordic wrestling.
Nords do, after all, believe that Sovngarde has a wrestling tournament without end.

Yes.
It baffles me how they didn't bother making unarmed options/skill trees in skyrim.
I mean it has so many brawls...
I was so sad about it.

Why not a mute moth priest monk?

A blind warrior monk is perfect.

>So could shouting, if you mix it with martial arts or Nordic wrestling.
IIRC Akaviri kiai is somewhat similar to Nord shouts anyway. I think maybe Children of the Sky mentions it?

I'd rather have ESO bullshit than MK fanfiction.

>I'd rather have texts that poorly try to copy MK than MK

Why do we less than half the posts we had last weekend? Anyways, I'm gonna try and spark some discussion. I posted earlier and now I'm asking of you to come up with similar pieces of fluff/flavor/whatever for a theorethical Elder Scrolls VI set in High Rock.

Wew, I just took a good look at the map and it's pretty awful, had to delete it.

Anyone got any good High Rock cityscape/scenery images?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, that map makes no sort of sense.

>Elder Scrolls VI
Into the trash it goes.

docs.google.com/document/d/1dM0O4dV7lMBQjqDMLfM3MIpcISy6JbaJsBOjiw8YxJI/edit