3d6 in order is the best way to generate a character guys

>3d6 in order is the best way to generate a character guys
>wtf you have to roll to determine how strong a psionic you are? That's so unfair.

What the fuck is spoony's damage, Veeky Forums?

I don't know, but he's kinda looking better than he has in a while.

Yeah he actually looks like he isn't going crazy now.

I dunno but he seems like an ass. "Oh your character can't do anything just roleplay".

His point about 3d6 in order wasn't that it was better, it's that the people who complain about not always using pointbuy are spoiled. Both videos are about how shitty older editions were and both have the exact same point: Spoony is better than you because he played TTRPGs when they were suffering (the 3d6 in order is just more overt about it).

I agree. He's not producing much, but maybe he'll start building momentum now.

Also this.

Doesn't he play Hackmaster unironically? That's pretty fucked.

In older systems, the difference between a high and low stat was minimal. But the difference between a high and low psionics score was massive, able to kill or cripple foes with ease.

Apparently people are paying him thousands of dollars a month via patreon for like one counter monkey a year. I guess he's putting most of his time into Spoony: the Motion Picture. Why the fuck do these people think I want to see a fucking movie? Just keep pumping out the shit that brought me to your site originally.

Isn't it because they changed his depression pills with Bipolar II pills, the thing he actually had?

But he doesn't say that, he says you should try it once for the experience.

Alot of older sytems really only penalized you for horrificly low stats , so while you didn't get any negatives you didn't fail for having a 12 str as a fighter.
AD&D, palladium (all games), shadowrun (1st and 2nd), mythus, ect. Cant tell tell you the number of times in rifts i had 1 stat above 16 and did fine. Would have loved to have godly high stats but thems the breaks. 3d6 reroll 1s is how we played (reroll 1s cause were the heros dang it)

>Apparently people are paying him thousands of dollars a month via patreon for like one counter monkey a year.

Ehh, if those people think supporting him is a good way to spend their money (or just signed up for some monthly donation and forgot about it), who am I to tell them not to? It's not like anyone's charging me for it.

It does make me wonder what he could rake in if he actually produced more good content.

It definitely helps when the people giving you a different kind of crazy pill every few months til they find the right one finally find the right crazy pill for your crazy.

Doctors don't like to make a big deal of it but a lot of what they do is identical in problem solving workflow to tech support. I wish I was joking.

>That's so unfair.
He never said that. Or at least inbalance was never a complain of his.

My experience with that was playing a character with no stat above 8.
Was not fun.

>>Doctors don't like to make a big deal of it but a lot of what they do is identical in problem solving workflow to tech support.
>Doctors dealing with life ruining mental illnesses are running down the same "What are the top five reasonable explanations for this behavior and what is the shortest and cheapest fix, what do I try if/when that doesn't work, okay, time to consult google, fuck it, it works, it's kludged well enough" checklist as me
>Except taking place over months or years instead of an afternoon and with a human life as the stakes
Excuse me while I go suck my thumb in terror and pray my own mental issues don't get any worse.

But you don't get it. That experience now entitles you to be smug about somebody complaining that their point buy doesn't allow them to have 18s in every stat!

The chance of that is just as high as having all stats above 12.

Had a similar experience in AD&D where I rolled so badly that I didn't qualify for a Player Character class. Got given Thief out of pity and died in the first encounter outside town, mauled by wolves.

I still enjoy rolling for stats though, since it pushes me away from just playing a Fighter.

Rolling stats is just fine since any DM with half a brain will let you re-roll from scratch if you end up with utter trash. People who shout about "muh point buy" are just sad that they can't properly dump Cha to minmax the shit out of their optimized build.

>dump Cha
I never dump CHA. Not even as a fighter.

>Rolling stats
>Ever

I don't know why some of you are complaining. I think rolling 3d6 in order can be fun. Almost every character I liked had some randomness in its character creation and that made him more interesting. Getting a concept from random rolls will usually give you something unexpected but also something fun. Most fuckers can't play a character who doesn't have highest possible score in his primary attribute.

I made a mage. Random rolls made him part of impoverished noble house. He was a rake. He couldn't fucking pass spellcraft or knowledge arcane checks but he would always pass "folkore & mythology" because while drinking he would hear old fishwives and old sea dog's stories.

I made a caravan guard, in arabian campaign, who had a simple goal. Getting enough money so he can buy herd of camels, so he can get married. He became a holy warrior through the campaign.

I enjoyed his story about a player trying to provoke the Lady of Pain because the player believed being a minotaur would help him naturally escape any maze she put him in. So Spoony just put him in a maze that was a straight hallway that would take 40 years to traverse.

>I guess he's putting most of his time into Spoony: the Motion Picture.

user...

Play OSR and quit bitching. Just as many times you get rekt by a shitty roll you can get great rolls. Don't forget that average 3d6 rolling is 10.5, which is a bit above the average for a person in a DnD campaign world. Rolling stats is perfectly fine and just because it doesn't let you build your little perfect munchkin character doesn't mean it's bad, in fact like the opposite.

>didn't qualify for a class

I thought Fighter had no requirements

>given Thief out of pity

That wasn't pity. AD&D thieves suck. They did that to prevent you getting a fighter's hit points and let you be killed faster to reroll.

I never watched Counter Monkey videos before but I had some free time so I gave it a whirl, and what the goddamn fuck is wrong with this tard? Most recent one I watched was "Shadowrun: the Code", and he goes on a long rambling story about the party blowing a simple job and shit escalating and I'm thinking "Alright, this is kind of an amusing story. He's taking too long telling it and mugging for the camera but whatever" and then it reaches the point where he says "Yeah it was fun. It was fun for them, and I admit I had fun too. But they ruined my game. And then they had to be punished".

He even tries to dance around it by saying "Oh yeah, GMs shouldn't punish the players for not following story hooks, but the code. THE CODE". Fuck, man. A big part of the fun of playing a tabletop RPG is so shit can fly off the rails in an unexpected way. Maybe it's because I'm a degenerate when I GM and almost always do things off the cuff and plot out shit between sessions, but after watching that it kind of put me off watching more of his videos if he's going to ree every time the players don't do what he wants.

You're so fucking dumb.

The ENTIRE point of that video was that rolling for a character helps remove decision paralysis from the char gen process, helping players find the character they didn't know they wanted to play.

the extra schooling doctors go through compared to computer technicians is proportional to the relative complexity of the human body versus a computer.

computers are complex as fuck, but at least we know exactly how they work basically down to the very basic binary. We can't say the same about the human body by any reasonable factor, but the thing is, while medical students work hard as fuck, you can't expect a doctor be smarter than a computer engineer by the same proportion.

tl,dr: the human body is really really complex, medicine does its best.

One short lived d&d chronicle I run had this lucky son of a bitch who rolled 17-15-18-18-14-7. To make it fair to the other players (they got rolls that ranged from shitty to not as shitty) he ran Fighter, and his dump stat was Intelligence, and he was basically Johnny Bravo in armor with a morning star, he'd flex to make all the girls swoon then say something really retarded to scare them away.

>3d6 in order
>not 1d20 in order
Live on the wild side a little

Rolled 1, 7, 16, 4, 13, 6 = 47 (6d20)

1 str
7 dex
16 con
4 int
13 wis
6 cha

I think i might be the blob

Rolled 7, 20, 20, 18, 13, 18 = 96 (6d20)

Congrats on rolling up a druid, user
Here's mine

>20 dex
>20 con
>18 int
>18 cha
Dex Paladin? Dex Eldritch Knight? Wizard, Warlock, Bard? The possibilities here are as ridiculous as my rolls.
What should I pick for maximum cheese?

Rolled 15, 1, 8, 2, 19, 12 = 57 (6d20)

Rolled 13, 18, 6, 16, 8, 17 = 78 (6d20)

Rolling.

19 wis
1 con
I guess I'm the pope

Thats 1 dex

>new counter monkey

Fucken finally. Literally been a year.

He's an asshole, but I can't help but like listen to him read rpg manuals at me.

>didn't qualify for a Player Character class
>AD&D

Confirmed for not having actually played.

It's Con in 4E.

>I thought Fighter had no requirements
9 STR, 7 CON.

It's totally possible to not qualify. If you don't have at least a 9 in STR, DEX, INT, or WIS, and a CON of at least 6 (unless you're an illusionist, but that needs an INT of 15), you don't qualify for anything.

Oh, and a CHA of at least 6, otherwise you must be an assassin.

>Bitching about the party blowing a simple job and shit escalating
Never watched this garbage before and now I never will because THAT'S WHAT SHADOWRUN IS ALL ABOUT YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER!

I swear my players can cause a gun fight followed by the destruction of a building just by going out for some soykaf during downtime

it pretty much guarantees that your character is unique and feels original, the three main problems with this is that you 1, can't really make a character before you roll and instead need to make the character around the rolls. 2, might get really, really shitty stats, 3, might get really really good stats while the rest of the group gets really, really shitty stats.

something my group tried was to have each of the players come up with a character, roll 3d6 in order and then pool all the rolls intro groups, according to order (so the STR pool might have 7, 11, 14 and 16) whereupon they took turns to pick (player 1 picks 16 for his fighters STR, player 2 picks 17 wisdom for his cleric, p3,p4, p4 again to make it even, p3,p2,p1) until everyone got their stats, it encourages building a group that compliments each other and makes it easier for individual players to get their spotlight due to them being really good at at least one thing while minimizing minmaxing (in the same way that pointbuy encourages) and assuring that the characters almost always got a weakness that needs to be propped up by the group

>spoonyposting

He does rub me up the wrong way when he starts jerking off about "Them young-uns!" mostly because he kind of makes a good point about point buy not being the be all end all of ways to make a char. I usually enjoy his episodes and some of the stories of games going off the rails are pretty good.

Although that Thief's Worlds story...jesus fucking christ.

More broadly I wish he would go back to making proper reviews but then it seems like all the content creators I like have taken the easy route and just stream now.

>Taking some random tards opinion of a thing sight unseen as gospel truth.

Did you escape from /pol/?

>spoony
>producing content

>he'll start building momentum now.
>Year of the Spoon
>implying

The way I deal with the problem of both not being able to plan a char and possibly getting shafted is by letting the player EITHER reroll one stat or switch two of them around.

That pretty much always allow the player to have a good footing for whatever they want to build.

yeah, that seems like a way quicker and simpler way of dealing with it (it took more than 30 minutes just to get the stats out this way, but it was a fun process) and while it does help, so does the third problem still exist, even if in a lesser state. making a charismatic rogue that even after switching around stats got mediocre stats is made less fun when the barbarian rolled godlike on all his vital stats and charisma (i personally won't mind this, but i understand why some players would be annoyed)

When I ran a few games of AD&D a few years ago we did 3d6 in order and add up your totals, if your stats total less than 60 you do 4d6 drop 1 and replace one stat, continue until you hit 60.

I don't really get the point. If people just want randomized good/bad stats in different locations to switch up what class they end up playing, why not use a more default array and then roll randomly to see where the points go?

You'll still have the same amount of high and low stats as someone else, but where they go is totally random.

Yeah that is the limit of rolling but I take it in stride, I always have my players be basically starting out so it makes sense when they are not super good at stuff. It also gives them something to work on.

>why not use a more default array and then roll randomly to see where the points go?
Well I tend to be the guy introduction the other players to a game and they always get turned off by the sight of arrays. Doesn't matter how simple it actually is to use they just get intimidated and don't want to bother.

Rolling the stats takes much less time to explain, also the same reason I never use point buy.

>they just get intimidated and don't want to bother.
Are they actually brain-damaged?

No, it's just that aside from one other person I know. None of the people I am friends with have any interest or knowledge of RPGs and all think they are full of complex maths.

Seeing a page full of numbers does little to convince them otherwise.

Then once I have got them in to a system they don't see any need to do anything other than rolling for stats so I have never had to change.

Looks cool for an arcane archer

He's complaining more about how impossible it is to roll a decent psionic character

>Not playing a fighter and using INT as your dump stat and roleplaying a retard, even when it causes you harm

Most fun D&D character I ever played. Never actually died, and even worked up into epic level where he was almost useless compared to the wizard and thief and shit but he had huge strength so he could just grapple shit and hold it still for someone else to deal with it. Eventually found religion due to a curse or some fucking thing so he started leveling up as a cleric and took it seriously despite awful wisdom and garbage INT. Was also basically the only 3rd edition character I played because of how long that campaign lasted, and then everyone moved apart and I haven't even played or own 4th or 5th edition books, just my stack of D&D, AD&D, and 3rd edition.

RIP

>Defends linear fighters quadratic casters

It's really a blackout of that bingo board.

>"It's not supposed to be balanced"
>"Fighters start out more powerful anyway"
>literally draws the diagram in the air

>might get really really good stats while the rest of the group gets really, really shitty stats.

This is the part that gets overlooked the most often in this discussion. Unless you're the most pathetic bastard in the universe, you don't play D&D by yourself, and your character impacts the rest of the group, so leaving not only abilities but available classes in the capricious hands of fate is a recipe for disaster.

well how good is good and how shitty is shitty?

If someone rolls so badly that it is clear they would die in the first session or be otherwise useless they should just reroll.

or do I don't get why people seem to think that you must accept a char's stats no matter what. This isn't golf, you don't always have to play it where it lies.

>If someone rolls so badly that it is clear they would die in the first session or be otherwise useless they should just reroll.

We want random stats! And we'll keep randomising until we get the result we want...

I wish there was an easier way to say it, but he's 100% correct, even for non-mental illnesses. I'm a practicing doctor and about 90% of the time, we don't know what is wrong with you unless it's something simple and straightforward (and even then we can be wrong pretty often and miss some serious shit). Even after a lot of blood work and other tests, there's still about a 30-40% chance we won't know what is wrong with you and the guessing game continues via trial and error. If a treatment works, great that means our job is done. If it doesn't we can rule out some stuff that it definitely isn't and work on guess #2.

It's not exactly going to inspire you with confidence next time you go to the emergency room or visit your GP, but in all honesty; google and look up "x illness", read some published medical literature, look at internet forums from sufferers of the illness specifically ones who presented non-typical symptoms from a disease you suspect, and draw conclusions and most of the time, you could do our job for us. The only difference is we studied enough of that literature and journals that we can make the call on the fly. But 30 minutes and some knowledge of med jargon and knowing how to google and you're more or less as qualified as we are. Enjoy your next visit!

With 3d6 you are more likely to get a number around 10 when you roll. When I say a char is massively under powered I am talking about managing to roll a 3 or something along those lines.

Any DM worth there salt will plan the first couple of sessions with the expectation of most players having stats around about 10 but if you get someone who is so under powered they are basically a wheelchair bound invalid then you need to reroll.

For me rolling stats is not about it being random, its about giving the player a idea of the kind of char they are going to build. Of course, if they already know what they want to build then a point but system might make more sense. However in my experience most players come to the table with just a general idea of the kind of char they want to play and the stats they roll push them towards one idea or the other.

I make them roll, keeps things fun and i feel it makes the players actually think of solutions and role play more.

>It's not exactly going to inspire you with confidence next time you go to the emergency room or visit your GP, but in all honesty; google and look up "x illness", read some published medical literature, look at internet forums from sufferers of the illness specifically ones who presented non-typical symptoms from a disease you suspect, and draw conclusions and most of the time, you could do our job for us. The only difference is we studied enough of that literature and journals that we can make the call on the fly. But 30 minutes and some knowledge of med jargon and knowing how to google and you're more or less as qualified as we are. Enjoy your next visit!

>mfw bluepills look at me like I'm crazy for saying I research my own illnesses instead of going to the doctor
>mfw this post

Thanks for openly saying what I always knew.

>Believing anything out of Veeky Forums.
You're crazy.

>Nobody could ever work on their own car man, you should just take it to a mechanic

Silence, bluepill.

Rolling is everything wrong with DnD and any other roleplay. Do you want your players to have a horrible time, because it sounds like you do.

3d6 down the line works for some types of games, and not others. I personally dislike it overall because I feel like RNG has no place in character generation; in general I feel your fate shouldn't be permanently hinged on one or two dice rolls.

I do point buy, and health is based on the median of your hit dice +1. To me the game is about everyone having a good time and being able to do what they want (within reason), so I feel as though letting players choose how their characters are born and develop is conducive to this.

Why bother rolling at all then?

Because there is still a difference.